Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

EireCelt wrote:
    Bought a battery off Tomtop last month for €67 quid, not bad value until this morning that was, customs are looking for €25

Battery here from Tomtop Germany warehouse for 68euro

As per the above and other's experience with batteries from tomtop, just pay the extra with gearbest to avoid additional charges, that's my experience with at least 15 orders.

Lanshane wrote:
    Thanks for all the information on this drone. I am now seriously considering!! I don't seem to able to get a spare battery shipped with the drone, rather like I have to create a separate order. It works out at €75 incl shipping cost, shipping through Sweden express! Did you get your spare battery from them? The drone and spare props delivered (through Ireland express) with code drone1026 comes in at €343 at the moment. What's the chance of getting it before Christmas if ordered today!! Thanks for all the super footage BTW!

No worries mate! Looking at others experiences delivery has taken anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. (10 to 30 working days). I'd expect it will arrive before Christmas, but you never know with our Postal service combined with the Chinese service, hmmm....

I got my battery through banggood but had to pay 28e customs on top.

You have to order them separately on Gearbest, think they can only ship one battery at a time.

I'd recommend an extra set of props, just in case for around 12e.

Let me know if you have any other queries. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Jesus Christ lads. Thought I was too old for this craic at 42. I'm back. Yer awful men. Gadget itch scratched.

yorlum11 wrote:
    Jesus Christ lads. Thought I was too old for this craic at 42. I'm back. Yer awful men. Gadget itch scratched.

Lol, you're a man and never too old! Did you get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

tedpan wrote:
    Lol, you're a man and never too old! Did you get one?

Ordered. Like a kid at Christmas. Looking forward to it. Cheers everyone for the reviews.

yorlum11 wrote:
    Ordered. Like a kid at Christmas. Looking forward to it. Cheers everyone for the reviews.

Nice one! Now it's the annoying long wait.. it'll all worth it in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

tedpan wrote: »
    Nice one! Now it's the annoying long wait.. it'll all worth it in the end!

Ordered myself also! Early Christmas pressie....what's the story with receiving tracking numbers, both China and An Post? Long wait now. Must get a micro SD card now! Thanks again

Lanshane wrote:
    Ordered myself also! Early Christmas pressie....what's the story with receiving tracking numbers, both China and An Post? Long wait now. Must get a micro SD card now! Thanks again

Awesome! Yeah, there's some tracking from China, can sometimes be a week or two without an update and you're only able to track the day before with an post. The delivery and delivery updates from the customer service team are downsides. The best thing is to expect 6 week delivery and when it shows up in a month, you'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Do you need an sd card or can u use it without one, if u need an sd card can anyone recommend one?

Do you need an sd card or can u use it without one, if u need an sd card can anyone recommend one?

You need an SD card to record and take photos, but more importantly you need one to update the firmware, this must be done when setting up.

I use memoryc as they're based in Ireland, free 1-2 day delivery and the cards are always genuine. I know others use Amazon. The max recommend by Xiaomi is 64GB. FYI 4k video for 5 minutes of recording is around 2GBs. Get at least a class 10 card, the faster the better.

Here's some options

https://www.memoryc.ie/20926-64gb-pny-class-10-microsdxc-85mb-sec-uhs-i-memory-card.html

https://www.memoryc.ie/16737-32gb-adata-turbo-microsdhc-uhs-1-cl10-memory-card-w-sd-adapter.html

Cheers, ordered the 64gb one, my drone came today, took less than 2 weeks and no custom charge.

• Advertisement

Cheers, ordered the 64gb one, my drone came today, took less than 2 weeks and no custom charge.

Awesome, that's what happened to me, others took 5 weeks. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Wow 2 weeks. Thats good going. Hopefully the second battery I order will come quicker than the drone.

Seen someone flying one of these about around the Dorset st area in Dublin last night, wonder if they found about about it on here :D

Seen someone flying one of these about around the Dorset st area in Dublin last night, wonder if they found about about it on here

Nice one! Maybe, I spose.. Have you flown yours yet?

no, am waiting for my memory card! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

I ordered the drone and a spare set of propellers. Got a mail yesterday saying that the propellers have been shipped, with the drone itself still awaiting to be shipped. I would have thought they would have been shipped together but sure there you go. My question is when I go to check the tracking info, it says the props have been shipped out, but are still awaiting 'product dispatch'. Can anyone who got their drone/spare props help me understand this? Seems a strange process....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Lanshane wrote: »
    I ordered the drone and a spare set of propellers. Got a mail yesterday saying that the propellers have been shipped, with the drone itself still awaiting to be shipped. I would have thought they would have been shipped together but sure there you go. My question is when I go to check the tracking info, it says the props have been shipped out, but are still awaiting 'product dispatch'. Can anyone who got their drone/spare props help me understand this? Seems a strange process....

I didn't order a spare set of props myself. But they came included in the box. I think since tedpan ordered they may have included them. I know the packaging used to be white, now it's in a brown box.

If you read back on my posts you'll see I had some fun with the shipping, but in essence, it took a week to go from ordered to dispatched, where I then got a tracking number that did nothing until it landed in Portloaise, and was delivered the next day. 5 weeks from day I ordered.

I didn't order a spare set of props myself. But they came included in the box. I think since tedpan ordered they may have included them. I know the packaging used to be white, now it's in a brown box.

Yeah, I got an extra set included, but also got some additional sets just in case. The kitten has chewed through a set already, I was only gone an hour!

On the delivery there's no point in checking, it's useless and just gets you frustrated. Gearbest sometimes ship separately if they are waiting for an item to come into stock from their suppliers. I suggest leaving it for a few weeks and then try tracking it again as there are very few updates during the delivery process. I could never do this myself, whenever I order something I'm checking for updates hourly, lots of stress!!!

Ordered in the 26th October.. arrived this morning. Can't argue with that.

Haven't actually set it up yet though. Looks like a bit of assembly is involved. I'll do it later. But still, less than 2 weeks is good. I was expecting to wait 5-6 weeks or so based on this thread.

• Advertisement

Haven't actually set it up yet though. Looks like a bit of assembly is involved. I'll do it later. But still, less than 2 weeks is good. I was expecting to wait 5-6 weeks or so based on this thread.

Awesome!! Enjoy mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Ordered in the 26th October.. arrived this morning. Can't argue with that.

That's super quick for any item from China.

Enjoy flying.

Well so far I've just unboxed it and it's doing an update. Haven't even stuck the camera to it yet, but it's definitely a more 'involved' drone than the bebop.

It's about twice the size (which is probably a good thing, i suppose) but it doesn't seem as user friendly so far (in that, with the bebop, you turn it on, and it's ready to fly). So I'm hoping that once I get over the initial hump of putting all the bits on it and getting it going, then it might be a quicker and easier process going forward. :)

Tedpan, what was it you reckoned was the average battery life for it? Might go looking for an additional one.

(as an aside, for anyone unaware; you get an extra set of propellers in the box)

It's about twice the size (which is probably a good thing, i suppose) but it doesn't seem as user friendly so far (in that, with the bebop, you turn it on, and it's ready to fly). So I'm hoping that once I get over the initial hump of putting all the bits on it and getting it going, then it might be a quicker and easier process going forward.

You'll have to calibrate before flying for the first time. Just watch a YouTube video or follow the directions on screen, best with two people. It takes 10-30 seconds to lock onto GPS. Then you can fly!
    Tedpan, what was it you reckoned was the average battery life for it? Might go looking for an additional one.

You get about 20 minutes on average. Don't worry it's so simple to fly. Make sure you're in a wide open space to be safe. I usually need at least 2 batteries, think I might buy another one next month.

Give me a shout if youre having any issues or you have any questions.

You'll have to calibrate before flying for the first time. Just watch a YouTube video or follow the directions on screen, best with two people. It takes 10-30 seconds to lock onto GPS. Then you can fly!

You get about 20 minutes on average. Don't worry it's so simple to fly. Make sure you're in a wide open space to be safe. I usually need at least 2 batteries, think I might buy another one next month.

Give me a shout if youre having any issues or you have any questions.

When you say calibrate it the first time, do you mean the very first time, or the first time after each power off/on?

I'm actually stuck at the calibration stage, to be honest. I'm getting 'low GPS precision' and 'compass interfered, please take off in another place' messages. I've tried calibrating it a couple of times, but no luck.

I'm sure i'll find a quick fix on the interwebs somewhere though. A very brief google search indicates I'm not alone. :)

When you say calibrate it the first time, do you mean the very first time, or the first time after each power off/on?

The first time only.
    I'm actually stuck at the calibration stage, to be honest. I'm getting 'low GPS precision' and 'compass interfered, please take off in another place' messages. I've tried calibrating it a couple of times, but no luck.

Are you doing it a wide open space, it took a few minutes for me? It usually says compass interferred if you're very close to something metal or enclosed.

I'm sure i'll find a quick fix on the interwebs somewhere though. A very brief google search indicates I'm not alone.

It should be pretty straight forward. Took three attempts and haven't had to calibrate since.

Are you doing it a wide open space, it took a few minutes for me? It usually says compass interferred if you're very close to something metal or enclosed.

Is this an issue generally? I'm often in random places, and taking off right beside my car and such? It never was an issue on the bebop, so i find it odd it'd be an issue on this?

Also, i note there are 'no fly zones' built into the map. Are these recommendations, or are you actually unable to fly in these zones? (ie will it just refuse to take off?).

These are a bit worrying :o but hopefully it'll be grand. I'll try to fly it again during the week. I won't get much chance tomorrow, unfortunately.

EDIT: Sorry, tedpan.. I'm asking questions as though you work for the company :P I appreciate all the advice you've given, both to me personally and in the thread as a whole. I must follow in your steps and take a spin out to mornington with it, to get my bearings. That's a relatively quiet space and will hopefully give me a good idea of what I'm doing. :)

EDIT: Sorry, tedpan.. I'm asking questions as though you work for the company I appreciate all the advice you've given, both to me personally and in the thread as a whole. I must follow in your steps and take a spin out to mornington with it, to get my bearings. That's a relatively quiet space and will hopefully give me a good idea of what I'm doing.

No problems, it's not really an issue. Rarely it will say compass interferred, when it does, just move it a metre away. I suppose it's a bit overwhelming with lots of steps to begin with. After a few flights it's like riding a bike. If you're in Mornington, let me know when you're around and I'll show you. I'm off work for a few weeks so happy to assist.

Yeah, you can't fly around airports etc, it's the new regulations that all major manufacturers like DJI are following.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can't fly around airports etc, it's the new regulations that all major manufacturers like DJI are following.

That's a bit crap :( The no fly zone is huge, and there's a few of them, pretty much ruling out anything along the north half of the M50? :(

(I photo houses for sale, so this would be a bit of an inconvenience). But I still have the Bebop there, which I'll bring around with me, too, and at least I know that can do what it wants.

I might take you up on that Mornington offer if you're about over the weekend :)

Advertisement