Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Fantasy League Tournament 2017 - Now Open!

Options
  • 09-08-2017 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

390px-World_Heavyweight_Championship_%28WWE%29.jpg
    daithi1989 - 2016 Winner

This Monday, August 14th, will mark the return of the Wrestling Fantasy League Tournament, now in its third year. The game is free to play and open to all who wish to take part.

It works similar to fantasy football games you may have played as players pick a squad of 7 wrestlers from the WWE roster. These picks will earn you points each week if they can win their matches on Raw/Smackdown or a PPV show.

The game is a fun way to stay interested in what is usually a lukewarm period in the WWE calendar. Don't take my word for it, here are a selection of some testimonials from last year's players:

"I lose interest in WWE at this time of year but this game helped maintain, hopefully we go again next year and a few new faces come aboard."

"it made watching Raw, Smackdown and PPVs much more worthwhile, particularly in the last month or 2."

"As said by others, it definitely kept my interest spiked in the last few months."

"Great the way everyone maintained interest right through and there were no dead/ghost teams"

This game is much shorter than fantasy football as the Fantasy Wrestling League ends in early December. I myself will calculate the scores for each player, so the only thing you will have to do is remember to submit your team for the week.

Last year's tournament was a close title race won by daithi1989.

We also do a Fantasy Cup alongside the league where players compete in a knockout-style tournament. Last year this was won by paulie21.

But that's not all. Last year also saw the debut of a tag team tournament in which players were paired up to take on other rival pairs. This tournament was won by the duo of paulie21 and DM_7.

Other games like this may feature to hopefully enhance your enjoyment. For more details on the rules, read on...

Squad Size

To play the game you select a fantasy squad of 7 wrestlers from the WWE roster, consisting of:

• 3 Main Event Tier Wrestlers

• 3 Upper Tier Wrestlers

• 1 Lower Tier Wrestler

Your squad must be submitted by each deadline: before the start of Raw (or if it's a PPV week, before the first pre-show match of the PPV show).

Selecting a Captain

From your starting squad you select a captain whose points score will be doubled.

Transfers

After the first deadline passes you will receive 2 free transfers per Gameweek. Note that if you do not make transfers they will NOT carry over to the next week.

Points Scoring

For appearing in a match on a show 1 pt (Note - They have to have been in a match)

For a win from a Main Event Tier pick 3 pts

For a win from an Upper Tier pick 4 pts

For a win from a Lower Tier pick 5 pts

The Cup

As noted above, last year we ran a cup game in conjunction with the league. The format of the cup will depend on the numbers we have involved but it will be knockout-style.

The first round of the cup this year is scheduled to begin on Gameweek 3.

Bonus Points

Last year bonus points were offered on certain gameweeks, usually PPV weeks. e.g. I could ask you to predict the winner of a certain match on a PPV to gain yourself some extra points.

These special bonus features will return this year.

Deletion

To make sure people near the bottom of the table have something to fight for, last year we introduced Deletion. This meant the bottom four players in the league would be eliminated from the game - or as Matt Hardy might say - DELETED. The bottom four last year were WinnyThePoo, LeeJM, Kankan14, and A Brad Maddox Guy. Hopefully these lads will give the game another go this year, unless they have faded away and classified themselves as obsolete...

Can you avoid the indignity of not even finishing the game like everyone else?

How do I get started?

Just submit your 7 person squad from the WWE roster below and you're in. Simple as that. Remember: you pick 3 names from the Main Event Tier; 3 from the Upper Tier; and just 1 from the Lower Tier.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The Roster

Main Event Tier (Pick 3)

Men

AJ Styles
    Baron Corbin
    Braun Strowman
    Bray Wyatt
    Chris Jericho
    Finn Balor
    Jinder Mahal
    John Cena
    Kevin Owens
    Neville
    Randy Orton
    Roman Reigns
    Samoa Joe
    Seth Rollins
    Shinsuke Nakamura

Women

Alexa Bliss
    Bayley
    Becky Lynch
    Charlotte
    Naomi
    Nia Jax
    Sasha Banks

Upper Tier (Pick 3)

Men

Aiden English
    Big Cass
    Big E
    Big Show
    Cedric Alexander
    Cesaro
    Chad Gable
    Dash Wilder
    Dean Ambrose
    Dolph Ziggler
    Elias
    Jack Gallagher
    Jason Jordan
    Jeff Hardy
    Jey Uso
    Jimmy Uso
    Karl Anderson
    Kofi Kingston
    Luke Gallows
    Luke Harper
    Matt Hardy
    Noam Dar
    Rich Swann
    Rowan
    Rusev
    Sami Zayn
    Scott Dawson
    Sheamus
    The Brian Kendrick
    The Miz
    TJP
    Xavier Woods

Women

Carmella
    Mickie James
    Paige
    Natalya
    Tamina

Lower Tier (Pick 1)

Men

Akira Tozawa
    Apollo Crews
    Ariya Daivari
    Bo Dallas
    Curt Hawkins
    Curtis Axel
    Darren Young
    Drew Gulak
    Enzo
    Epico
    Fandango
    Goldust
    Gran Metallik
    Heath Slater
    James Ellsworth
    Kalisto
    Konnor
    Lince Dorado
    Mike Kanellis
    Mojo Rawley
    Mustafa Ali
    Primo
    Rhyno
    R-Truth
    Samir Singh
    Sin Cara
    Sunil Singh
    Titus O'Neill
    Tony Nese
    Tye Dillinger
    Tyler Breeze
    Viktor
    Zack Ryder

Women

Alicia Fox
    Dana Brooke
    Emma
    Lana
    Summer Rae

Note - Part-timers like Brock Lesnar and Triple H have not been included. New names may be added to the list if they debut. i.e. Bobby Roode, Asuka.

Just like with fantasy football games, you can change your team as many times as you like before the game begins officially next week.

But once Raw has begun, the team you posted will be set for the week.

I will get things started off with my own selection.

Main Event Tier - Roman Reigns
    Main Event Tier - Sasha Banks
    Main Event Tier - Baron Corbin

Upper Tier - Big Cass
    Upper Tier - Elias
    Upper Tier - Jason Jordan

Lower Tier - Curtis Axel

My captain: Jason Jordan

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'll throw my hat in, something to keep my interest.

MAIN EVENT TIER - Braun Strowman
    MAIN EVENT TIER - Seth Rollins
    MAIN EVENT TIER - Alexa Bliss

UPPER TIER - Rusev
    UPPER TIER - Jeff Hardy
    UPPER TIER - Carmella

LOWER TIER - James Ellsworth

CAPTAIN - Braun Strowman

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Let's give this thing a whirl and see how I get on:

Main Event Tier 1: Braun Strowman
    Main Event Tier 2: Shinsuke Nakamura
    Main Event Tier 3: Sasha Banks

Top Tier 1: The Miz
    Top Tier 2: Sami Zayn
    Top Tier 3: Jason Jordan

Lower Tier: Enzo Amore

Captain: The Miz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I'm in.

Main
    Finn Balor
    Charlotte
    AJ Styles

Upper
    Big Cass
    Jason Jordan
    The Miz

Lower
    Mike Kanellis

Captain : Jason Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yes, this is back. It really makes WWE much more interesting. Thanks MNG

Anywhoo heres my team (BTW its nuts seeing jinder in the top tier this year)

I'm in.

Main
    Roman Reigns
    Nia Jax
    AJ Styles

Upper
    Big Cass
    Jason Jordan
    Dean Ambrose

Lower
    Tyler Breeze

Captain : Jason Jordan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dont think I will bother with Fantasy Football this year as it seems a waste of time after I lose interest but this hell ya makes WWE better so it does.

This is a weird looking team

Main Event Tier 1: Braun Strowman
    Main Event Tier 2: Shinsuke Nakamura
    Main Event Tier 3: Naomi

Top Tier 1: The Miz
    Top Tier 2: Dean Ambrose
    Top Tier 3: Jason Jordan

Lower Tier: Akira Tozawa

Captain: Dean Ambrose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Ah I'm really glad this is back.

Main
    AJ Styles
    Finn Br
    Shinsuke Nakamura

Upper
    Cesaro
    Jason Jordan
    The Miz

Lower
    Mike Kanellis

Captain
    Jason Jordan

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

I'll be returning to defend my title! On the phone at present, so wont submit my team until later tonight.

Was fearing this wasnt going to return, but this will spark my interest in WWE for the coming months!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

daithi1989 wrote: »
    I'll be returning to defend my title! On the phone at present, so wont submit my team until later tonight.

Was fearing this wasnt going to return, but this will spark my interest in WWE for the coming months!

The reigning, defending, undisputed PW Fantasy League tournament champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Back in to try complete the grand slam

Main Event Tier - Shinsuke Nakamura
    Main Event Tier - John Cena

Upper Tier - Big Cass
    Upper Tier - Sheamus
    Upper Tier - Jason Jordan

Lower Tier - Akira Tozawa

My captain: Jason Jordan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Delighted to see this back again.

Main Event Tier - Braun Strowman
    Main Event Tier - Alexa Bliss

Upper Tier - Dean Ambrose
    Upper Tier - Sheamus
    Upper Tier - Jey Uso

Lower Tier - Akira Tozawa

My captain: Dean Ambrose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I shall give this a try for this year.

Main Event Tier - Seth Rollins

Upper Tier - Jason Jordon
    Upper Tier - Jeff Hardy

Lower Tier - Tye Dillinger

Captain - Seth Rollins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh, I'll give it a whirl :)

Main Event Tier - Brawn Strowman
    Main Event Tier - Seth Rollins
    Main Event Tier - Samoa Joe

Upper Tier - Jason Jordon
    Upper Tier - Matt Hardy

Lower Tier - Tye Dillinger

My captain: Samoa Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

yeah why not give it a shot

MAIN EVENT TIER - Finn Balor
    MAIN EVENT TIER - Alexa Bliss
    MAIN EVENT TIER - Bray Wyatt

UPPER TIER - Jason Jordan
    UPPER TIER - Sheamus
    UPPER TIER - Big Cass

LOWER TIER - Titus O'Neill

CAPTAIN - Sheamus

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

I'll give it a go if that's cool...

Main Event:
    Finn Balor
    Braun Stroman
    Baron Corbin

Upper:
    The Miz
    Carmella
    Jason Jordan

Lower:
    Tye Dillinger

Capt:
    Jason Jordan

Defending Champ sends the following into battle!

Main Event: Braun Sasha Shinsuke
    Upper: Jordan Cass Ambrose
    Lower: Tozawa

Captain W1: Jason Jordan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'll give this a shot:

Main Event Tier: Braun Strowman
    Main Event Tier: Finn Balor
    Main Event Tier: Sasha Banks

Upper Tier: Big Cass
    Upper Tier: Dean Ambrose
    Upper Tier: Jason Jordan

Lower Tier: Akira Tozawa

Captain: Akira Tozawa

Do PPV pre-show matches count?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Do PPV pre-show matches count?

Yeah they will also count.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

A little over 24 hours to go before the game kicks off. We have fifteen players involved so far:

Myself
    Lithium93_
    Necrominus
    Kankan14
    beakerjoe
    Bounty Hunter
    Gaw_
    paulie21
    LeeJM
    lycan238
    Lord TSC
    montyrebel
    Ruat Caelum
    daithi1989
    Mr. Guappa

I'll accept players at any time throughout the game but it's better for your chances of winning to be in from the start, so if you're tempted to play why not enter a team before tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

Sounds interesting!

Main - Owens / Braun / Sasha
    Upper - Ambrose / Carmella / Miz
    Lower - Enzo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

KayJay86 wrote: »
    Sounds interesting!

Main - Owens / Braun / Sasha
    Upper - Ambrose / Carmella / Miz
    Lower - Enzo

Dont forget to pick a Captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Dont forget to pick a Captain

Woops - captain Sasha Banks

16 players have signed up so far which is a lovely number to work with - 4 more than we had last year - but we will continue to accept further players if there is interest.

The deadline for Gameweek 1 will be when Raw commences tonight so that's just under two hours away. Here are the most popular picks for the week so far:

Popular trends - G.W. 1

Most popular Main Event Tier picks

1. Braun Strowman 9

2. Sasha Banks / Shinsuke Nakamura 7

3. Finn Balor 5

Most popular Upper Tier picks

1. Jason Jordan 13

2. Dean Ambrose 8

3. Big Cass 7

Most popular Lower Tier picks

1. Akira Tozawa 8

2. Tye Dillinger 3

3. Enzo / Mike Kanellis 2

Papa would be proud as Jason Jordan is currently the most popular pick in the game, appearing in all but 3 line-ups. He is also the most popular captaincy pick this week with almost half of us backing him.

Will he justify the support is the question? Not long to find out.

For those wanting to sign up, it's easy. Just submit a squad of 7 from the roster posted on page 1, and choose a captain whose score will be doubled.

Update: The deadline has passed and Gameweek 1 is now under way. Good luck to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Upper Tier

Braun Strowman
    Seth Rollins
    Nia Jax

Middle Tier

Jason Jordan
    Elias
    Dean Ambrose

Lower Tier

Mike Kannelis - (Captain)

375px-WWE_Raw_2016_Logo.png

The first Raw of this year's game has concluded and that means it's time to see how our league table is shaping up. We still have Smackdown to come before gameweek 1 ends, but here's where we are at the halfway point of the week...

*Note - Raw spoilers below. Do not read further if you do not want news of Raw.*

Gameweek 1 Standings (Post-Raw)

1. daithi1989...........................................................................30 points

= paulie21...............................................................................30 points

2. Mr. Guappa .........................................................................27 points

3. Mr. Nice Guy .......................................................................25 points

4. Gaw_ .................................................................................23 points

= Kankan14.............................................................................23 points

= Ruat Caelum.........................................................................23 points

5. beakerjoe............................................................................21 points

6. lycan238.............................................................................19 points

7. Bounty Hunter......................................................................18 points

= Necrominus..........................................................................18 points

8. Lord TSC.............................................................................15 points

= montyrebel...........................................................................15 points

9. Cheese Wagstaff...................................................................11 points

10. KayJay86...........................................................................10 points

11. LeeJM.................................................................................6 points

12. Lithium_93..........................................................................5 points

League Fallout

In a funny turn of events the two players who finished last year in the top two spots have started off this year in the same way. Both daithi1989 and paulie21 have achieved the best score with 30 points, thanks mainly to their captain Jason Jordan who did double duty last night, winning both times.

Mr. Guappa also had a very good start to the game as his captaincy choice of Tozawa did very well for him. Most weeks that would have been the best score.

The average was 19 points.

Raw results

Sasha Banks defeated Nia Jax.

Akira Tozawa defeated Neville to win the Cruiserweight Championship.

Bray Wyatt defeated Finn Balor.

Mickie James defeated Emma.

Jason Jordan defeated The Miz via D.Q.

Jason Jordan and The Hardy Boyz defeated The Miz, Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel.

255px-Jason_Jordan_NXT_tag_team_champion_Takeover_Dallas_2016.jpg

I asked the question would Jason Jordan deliver for those who supported him and he most certainly did, winning two matches on the show. Those who have played the game in the past will know it's rare enough for a guy to have two matches, and especially to win them both.

Coincidentally, on the first game of last year's contest, Cesaro had two matches on Raw except he won one and lost the other.

Akira Tozawa also did well for those who had him, while Mickie James winning perhaps makes her a decent option going forward.

Some notes

- I didn't mention this in the first post but in the event that the top two finish the league on level points, the winner will be decided by a special one off Raw show for those two players alone which will act as a tie-breaker.

If other positions in the league are level when the league ends, e.g. 5th, 8th, etc. the spot will go to the player who scored the most from their captaincy choices over the course of the game. If that fails to settle it, the player who occupied the position for most of the game will get the spot.

Until we get to the end of the game, I'll separate those on level points by alphabetical order as I did above.

- With regards the Cup that is set to start on Gameweek 3, I'll be sitting it out as we have 17 names and I feel 16 names is more convenient to deal with. I'll be splitting you up into four groups. The seeding will be based on where you are in the league table by that time, so the top four players in the league will be the top four seeds, the next four will be the second seeds and so on.

Want to join in?

The game is under way but new players are welcome. Places for the Cup are now closed but the league is still open and there will be further tournaments in future, such as the tag team tournament, so sign up now to get involved.

That concludes the Raw update. On to tonight's Smackdown Live...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

- With regards the Cup that is set to start on Gameweek 3, I'll be sitting it out as we have 17 names and I feel 16 names is more convenient to deal with. I'll be splitting you up into four groups. The seeding will be based on where you are in the league table by that time, so the top four players in the league will be the top four seeds, the next four will be the second seeds and so on.

It doesn't seem right that you sit out the Cup given that you are running it. You can take my place if you like, or we could go head-to-head next week with the winner getting the spot in the Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Yeah I'd be in favour of drawing out two random names and they playoff in week 2 for place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I would have thought the fairest route is the top 16 point scorers in gw2 qualify. That makes most sense MNG sitting out is too harsh as Mr.Guappa said.

Would also agree with Random 2 go against each other in W2 for final spot. Not fair on you missing out MNG.

I think it would be tough on the player that misses out which is why I don't mind stepping aside. I'd still be organising it and doing the draws for the groups so I would be involved in that way. This way everyone gets to take part.

I really don't mind. I like seeing others enjoying the game and besides there will be other games I can be involved in later on.

• Advertisement

Smackdown has wrapped up, and that means we have come to the end of our first gameweek.

Read on for the latest news as well as details on the bonus points that will be on offer this weekend for the Summerslam PPV...

*Note - Smackdown spoilers below. Do not read further if you do not want news of Raw.*

Smackdown Scores

I won't have to go into too much detail on the scores this week because only 5 of us managed to score anything.

Most of us went for Raw talent in our line-ups, but Smackdown wrestlers who did make a lot of teams like Nakamura and Styles weren't in action this week, and so provided nothing.

The biggest score for Smackdown went to LeeJM, who got 5 points from a Jey Uso win. The second highest score went to paulie21, who got 4 points from a Cena win. Myself and Ruat Caelum got an appearance point each for Baron Corbin being in a match, while Lithium_93 got an appearance point from Rusev.

The average score for the show was just 1 point and I reckon this will wind up being the lowest scoring show of the game.

It all means this is how the table looks at the end of the first week...

Gameweek 1 Standings

1. paulie21..............................................................................34 points

2. daithi1989...........................................................................30 points

3. Mr. Guappa .........................................................................27 points

4. Mr. Nice Guy .......................................................................26 points

5. Ruat Caelum........................................................................24 points

6. Gaw_ .................................................................................23 points

= Kankan14.............................................................................23 points

7. beakerjoe............................................................................21 points

8. lycan238.............................................................................19 points

9. Bounty Hunter......................................................................18 points

= Necrominus..........................................................................18 points

10. Lord TSC............................................................................15 points

= montyrebel...........................................................................15 points

11. Cheese Wagstaff.................................................................11 points

= LeeJM..................................................................................11 points

12. KayJay86...........................................................................10 points

13. Lithium_93..........................................................................6 points

League Fallout

Congrats to paulie21 who ends the first week on top of the table. He's carried on his good form from last year. Ruat Caelum and LeeJM also move up places following Smackdown.

Smackdown results

Natalya defeated Becky Lynch.

Rusev vs Chad Gable ended in a double count-out.

The Usos defeated Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods.

John Cena defeated Jinder Mahal via D.Q.

Jinder Mahal defeated Baron Corbin.
    330px-Mahal2014.jpg

There have been no takers for Jinder Mahal as yet. Are you tempted to transfer him in for next week?

On to Gameweek #2 (PPV Week)...

*****Summerslam PPV Bonus Pts*****

SummerSlam_2017.jpeg

It's time for the first PPV week of the year and as is tradition, bonus points will be on offer.

Here is the bonus:: simply predict who leaves Summerslam as the Universal Champion? If you are correct in your prediction, you will bag yourself an extra 5 points.

Do you think it will be Roman Reigns, Samoa Joe, Braun Strowman or Brock Lesnar? Let me know when you pick your squad for the week. It should look a bit like this:

MAIN EVENT TIER - X
    MAIN EVENT TIER - X
    MAIN EVENT TIER - X

UPPER TIER - X
    UPPER TIER - X
    UPPER TIER - X

LOWER TIER - X

Your captain: X

SUMMERSLAM BONUS: _________ will be the Universal Champion.

I hope that's straightforward but if you've any questions feel free to ask away.

Deadline

As it's a PPV week the deadline this time will be before the first pre-show match of Summerslam on Sunday, August 20th.

Transfers and Captaincy

You can now make up to 2 transfers to your squad if you wish. These must be from the same tier. For example, a Main Event Tier performer for a Main Event Tier performer; an Upper Tier performer for an Upper Tier performer.

Please outline who you are transferring out and transferring in when posting your squads to make it easier for me to follow.

Once a team has been posted that team will be final and no edits will be allowed (unless there are exceptional circumstance, i.e. a wrestler gets legit hurt, or they are suspended).

Don't forget to choose a captain who will score you double points.

Want to join in?

The game may be under way but new players are always welcome. Places for the Cup are now closed but the league is still open and there will be further tournaments in future, such as the tag team tournament, so sign up now to get involved.

Good luck for the week ahead, everyone. Gameweek #2 is now open for business.

Advertisement