Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for Eggs with Harder Shells

Options
  • 08-08-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭

How would you get eggs with hard shells - what would I be looking at?

The wife buys free range eggs from the supermarket and the shells on them seem to be paper thin, when you crack them your thumb goes through them and pierces the yolk.

I thought i remember a farmer telling me years ago that he fed his chickens chopped up egg shells in with their feed and it strengthened the shell. Is there any truth in that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Very true. And alot of the hens laying eggs commercially would have a form of grit in their feed to help make the shell harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

chopped up egg shells is probably an inland thing on the coast crushed sea shells are used as a source of calcium

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Kerryman79 wrote: »
    chopped up egg shells is probably an inland thing on the coast crushed sea shells are used as a source of calcium

ah right, so is it a case of the more calcium a chicken gets the harder the shell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

ah right, so is it a case of the more calcium a chicken gets the harder the shell?

Well if there is a calcium deficiency the egg shell will be thin , chickens need grit which is insoluble to help with digestion otherwise the layers mash with the added calcium will not be properly absorbed, going on how thin the shells are it looks like its a deficiency in diet

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Older hens tend to lay larger eggs with thinner shells than younger ones. So buying medium rather than large/extra large eggs can help also.

• Advertisement

Older hens tend to lay larger eggs with thinner shells than younger ones. So buying medium rather than large/extra large eggs can help also.

thanks, its medium ones we normally buy

Says no additives given to hens, so i suppose that means no grit or anything. That cant be good for them if they are not being given something to help their digestion can it?

umuPO4TJdW2jtSu63vZxsp87enJ6qPTk7q43x43XTnw?size=1280x960&size_mode=3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A bit of ground limestone for the hens to peck, will solve it.

without the risk of being flamed or coming across as being in favour of animal cruelty are all eggs sold in Ireland now 'free range' or can you get non free range eggs in the normal supermarkets still? - as you can most probably guess I dont do the shopping in my house, my wife does it - getting her to buy them could be tough because she thinks its kinder for hens to roam free range rather than couped up in (cant remember name) -

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

If you just want eggs with harder shells get some Guinea Fowl. Their egg shells are tough, tastier than hen eggs as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The legal definition of "free range" isn't what you or I would call "free roaming" - far from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exEt-b1bag

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Says no additives given to hens, so i suppose that means no grit or anything.
    not sure if grit would count as additives, it might be accepted, just like those ham adverts making out like they add nothing (but really do). Some people eat egg shells as a source of calcium. It is calcium carbonate and comes in many forms.

I am wondering what the real issue is though, and if you really need thicker shells. You mentioned the egg splitting the yolk. Is your real issue your egg cracking technique, if this was better you might not need harder shells. There are devices to crack eggs, and I expect there are countless "lifehack" methods to do it without another new gadget, or youtube videos just showing better technique.

rubadub wrote: »
    not sure if grit would count as additives, it might be accepted, just like those ham adverts making out like they add nothing (but really do). Some people eat egg shells as a source of calcium. It is calcium carbonate and comes in many forms.

I am wondering what the real issue is though, and if you really need thicker shells. You mentioned the egg splitting the yolk. Is your real issue your egg cracking technique, if this was better you might not need harder shells. There are devices to crack eggs, and I expect there are countless "lifehack" methods to do it without another new gadget, or youtube videos just showing better technique.

i smash them off the kitchen counter and then split them apart (well try to, but the shells are too thin to do that)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I find the strength of the shell to be less of an issue when i'm breaking eggs than a membrane that doesn't want to tear and when it gives the whole thing is just a mess. Being super careful is the only solution, lots of tapping all round then piercing the membrane before trying to separate the halves of shell.

The free range eggs I buy, on the whole, seem to have fairly sturdy shells. Mostly they come from the milkman, otherwise whatever local free range eggs I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

rubadub wrote:
    I am wondering what the real issue is though, and if you really need thicker shells. You mentioned the egg splitting the yolk. Is your real issue your egg cracking technique, if this was better you might not need harder shells.

I was just about to post this. I've only ever used free range eggs and have never had an issue with thin shells.
    i smash them off the kitchen counter and then split them apart (well try to, but the shells are too thin to do that)

And I think we have our answer. All they need is a sharp tap with a knife, I'm not sure what else you expected by smashing them off the counter.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    ... And I think we have our answer. All they need is a sharp tap with a knife, I'm not sure what else you expected by smashing them off the counter.

I only do that because I used to hit them at the side of the frying pan and people said that pierced the yoke and that it was best to crack them on the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

what make the free range eggs taste better than the other ones? - is it a huge difference in taste or a subtle one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Duck eggs are very tasty and have a very thick shell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Totally agree with the duck eggs. My god they are fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I also agree with the bash off the counter method

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Am I missing something here - would it not just be easier to take a bit more care when you're cracking the eggs? I mean, how many eggs do you crack on an average day!:)

RasTa wrote: »

what, you agree with the method and its the way to go, or agree that its a bad method? :)

what, you agree with the method and its the way to go, or agree that its a bad method? :)

It's the way to go, the chef method.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buy the poshest eggs in the shop and the shells are likely to be harder - I found it near impossible to break Ballon ones on the side of a rigid plastic jug recently; ditto Lidl's organic. By comparison I picked up the wrong pack in the newagents down the road, got some whatever we have that's replaced battery these days, and they were like paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I just crack my eggs with a knife and rarely have a problem with the yolk breaking up. I know it's not as fancy as the chef crack on the counter/edge of the bowl, but it works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was looking on youtube and it was showing the "break on flat counter" method. It was saying if you do it with a knife or edge of a bowl you are more likely to have small shards which have to be picked out.

You hold the egg with both hands and pull the 2 sides apart evenly, hinging on the opposite uncracked side. Sounds like the OP might be holding one side and digging into the other side and trying to rip it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Totally agree with the duck eggs. My god they are fantastic
    I'm not a fan of them for frying, but they do make amazing scramble.
    RasTa wrote: »
    I don't like that one because I find that it smashes the shell but doesn't break the membrane so I have to use more force and then I tend to put my thumb through the whole thing. I much prefer giving them a sharp tap on the side of a glass, then I can get my nail into the 'cut' and get the shell apart more cleanly.

• Advertisement

You should all be cracking your eggs with one hand by now, unless you are 26 and under.

Advertisement