Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic tiger officially back!

Options
  • 08-08-2017 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

The tiger is back in town! I'm off to the shop for a breakfast roll in a few minutes.

http://www.thejournal.ie/goodbody-domestic-spending-3534813-Aug2017/

Might take a look at this on the way back

https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/jetski-seadoo-rxp-x-2010-370hp/15918007

and I'll pass the Toyota dealer for a brang new 172 crew cab Hilux. How do I make sure I benefit from the building boom this time? Should I pack in my job straight away and start loitering around building sites? Soon enough a lad should walk over to me and start handing me wads of cash to push a wheelbarrow around and I'll work my way up from there. Once they see I have a brand new Hilux bought on the PCP there should be no stopping me.

Maybe I should go for a black Nissan Navara instead. In my mind the Navara crew cab is the quintessential celtic tiger vehicle of choice despite the fatal design flaw that caused them to break in half after a few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Awesome!! I'm going to max out my credit card by lunch with stuff I don't need.

Any banks offering 100% mortgages yet ? I've just seen a house that I could never afford to pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

D3V!L wrote: »
    Awesome!! I'm going to max out my credit card by lunch with stuff I don't need.

Any banks offering 100% mortgages yet ? I've just seen a house that I could never afford to pay off.

Just don't forget to blame everyone else except yourself in 5 years time!

Personal responsibility pffft!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Just don't forget to blame everyone else except yourself in 5 years time!

Personal responsibility pffft!

Don't worry I'll be at the forefront of political arselicking and I'll be on RTE beside Varadkar or his successor telling people how they all went mad and how it's now time for everyone to cough up a €2,000 annual existence tax to pay back the money I borrowed and frittered away. I reckon Leo's favourite gay bar will be this tiger's version of the FF tent at the Galway races

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

The Celtic tiger is back, that was quick. Have we paid off that national debt so?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are we all getting ready to party again?

• Advertisement

The country's so "awash with money" I feel the sudden urge to throw my change in the bin.

Hooray for Me!

Me! Me! Me!

The Celtic tiger is back, that was quick. Have we paid off that national debt so?

No but interest is so low we can easily afford to borrow another 100bn to really properly kickstart this tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

No just running up another one...but shur who cares paying it all back is the next generations problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Decking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Patio heaters.

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    Decking.

I'll raise you a hot tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I dunno guys. An Irish person served my coffee this morning. I don't remember that from the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

About bloody time I say, it's all been so mediocre since the crash... vroom vroom vroom, time to get out my meek, order an always-on fountain for the garden and fetch the flamingo's. I have also increased the Christmas party budget tenfold. Going to buy some lavish decorations in Macy's. Go flash or go home.
    I dunno guys. An Irish person served my coffee this morning. I don't remember that from the good old days.

Don't worry old chum, there's a two week notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I hear the government are bring out a new SSIA savings scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm in construction and while it's true there's an upturn the wages still haven't gone back up to tiger levels.

It will happen though as the labour shortage is there. I'm getting calls from lads looking me to work for 2009 money but I'm sorry if they want to pay peanuts they may go to the zoo and hire a few monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lads, I just bought a house with decking.
    In fact, we're looking to extend the decking.

I don't live in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

There is always room for more of Paul Costello's wooden boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I hear two coffin ships, that were on their way to Australia, have turned around.

I hope the rest of our stolen generation come home to tell us great tales of these far off lands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Boom and bust, the Irish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

The boom times are about to get boomier again.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

First thing I am getting is the mandatory SUV with the 'Blonde' with sunglasses on top of her head in the passenger seat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Yeah, I paid it this morning. Long weekend wasn't as expensive as I taught and had a few billion left over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'll believe it when I see that fooooking USC tax taken off me payslip. Till then, there ain't no tiger back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Must be a Dublin thing.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see that fooooking USC tax taken off me payslip. Till then, there ain't no tiger back.

USC will stay as sort of pre-austerity tax to make the existence tax that you'll have to pay annually after the next crash for simply breathing a bit more palatable

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Must be a Dublin thing.

Dont worry with all this extra money burning holes in our pockets we will need country holiday homes and the locals can earn a few bob cutting the grass polishing the jet skis and building more decking

Trickle down effect

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Must be a Dublin thing.

Hi Dad. Get home okay after the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Road frontage will be the new buzzword again so,great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I'm leaving the country because people are becoming idiotic. We are the most silly and rude nation in the world when we get a bit of money

I'll come back when there's a recession, everything's cheaper. And get joy out of the tears of the idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Fat blokes and women who used to squeeze into designer clothes and sunglasses without getting any advice on whether they clothes actually suited them.

Reminded me of the pig on a spit with the apple in its' mouth.

Same folk would come back from holidays abroad and tell you all about how life is abroad.

Advertisement