Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abs or no abs

Options
  • 06-08-2017 11:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭

Should I look for a motorbike with abs or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If you can afford it and it doesn't reduce the quality or range of bikes that interest you then go for it.

Most of us here started with bikes that have no ABS and a good few still don't have ABS bikes. Some might have horror stories where they wish they had or were glad to have had ABS and others will tell you they never used it once in their life.

For me personally I don't care but do expect it on all new bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

An experienced rider in the dry will out brake an person on an ABS equipped bike. In all other circumstances the ABS will save you.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Modern ABS systems on bikes will outbrake even professional riders. A computer can modulate brakes better than any human ever could. Add to this a ****e road surface and a panic situation. ABS is a no brainer if its available. Only needs to work once to be worth it.

Both of my current bikes are non-abs by the way. My next one will definitely have ABS.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ABS makes for a worse riding experience right up to the point that it saves you from a crash.

It also reduces or eliminates flat spots on the rear tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Never had a bike with ABS

I'm sure for a "new boxers" moment it's great!

However I often wondered if you've never driven a non abs bike and your abs fails for some reason will you fall off the next tine you hit the brakes as your expecting the abs to do the work??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Never had a bike with ABS

I'm sure for a "new boxers" moment it's great!

However I often wondered if you've never driven a non abs bike and your abs fails for some reason will you fall off the next tine you hit the brakes as your expecting the abs to do the work??

I doubt it unless you are panic braking all the time.
    Most ABS systems have a self check and will warn you if any part of the system is inoperative.
    Since 2016 all bikes >125cc have it as standard, and the newest versions are capable of being used in corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Del2005 wrote: »
    An experienced rider in the dry will out brake an person on an ABS equipped bike. In all other circumstances the ABS will save you.

How so? Just curious thats all......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    How so? Just curious thats all......

abs does a pulsing of brake on brake off, in theory a rider could hold the pressure exactly at the highest braking force possible and they could then stop shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Not me and I've been driving for a while now..I know I'd screw it up. But in theory I'd agree but the problem there is that even professional moto GP riders are not allowed full electrics because they would make them better riders and take away the advantage that talented drivers have on track.

Edit: My point being you would need to be awfully talented and in a predictable scenario to do it. Unless the ABS itself is utter ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Riding bikes for over 20 years and have loads without ABS and only the one with it. My Sprint GT has ABS and it makes a huge difference in terms of safety imo. Iv'e force tested it a few times just to see and i can safely say any bike i'd buy from here on out will have it fitted. For me personally i don't find it intrusive at all in general day to day riding circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

abs does a pulsing of brake on brake off, in theory a rider could hold the pressure exactly at the highest braking force possible and they could then stop shorter

I know how the ABS works Frosty, just curious how non ABS riders can stop quicker then ABS riders in the dry of course.

In fairness are we talking new technology or old skool ABS when it first came on the scene....?

The way I look at it, nowadays with the high level of sophistication on the ABS systems now the time it takes to stop a bike would be near identical....I have had both non ABS and ABS and I would deffo prefer an ABS bike. Obviously each to their own and it is a preference to the rider.

Not hating at all.

I know how the ABS works Frosty, just curious how non ABS riders can stop quicker then ABS riders in the dry of course.

In fairness are we talking new technology or old skool ABS when it first came on the scene....?

The way I look at it, nowadays with the high level of sophistication on the ABS systems now the time it takes to stop a bike would be near identical....I have had both non ABS and ABS and I would deffo prefer an ABS bike. Obviously each to their own and it is a preference to the rider.

Not hating at all.

I know exactly what you mean, I was just saying any difference in braking performance in a perfect rider vs abs would be down to a rider holding the pressure exactly on the edge of traction whereas ABS has to find a minuscule loss of traction and then pump off slightly with the pressure

there is cornering abs and all sorts of stuff now, no way an average rider would even come close to that

not having abs isn't a big deal to me and it isn't an option for bikes of my year but it would always be good to have on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know exactly what you mean, I was just saying any difference in braking performance in a perfect rider vs abs would be down to a rider holding the pressure exactly on the edge of traction whereas ABS has to find a minuscule loss of traction and then pump off slightly with the pressure
    I think maximum braking force is when there is a small amount of slippage.

I don't really understand ABS on motorbikes. In a car the ABS allows you to steer and brake at the same time, e.g. swerving round an obstacle whilst braking hard. On a motorbike it is presumably supposed to stop you dropping the bike.

I don't really know but as my best guess, it's still doing the exact same job, when the wheel locks under braking it lets off pressure to let the wheel spin again.

there are very fancy systems that take the rear wheel lifting up into account and paired with traction control / stability control / slide control and they very well could guarantee maximum braking performance in all conditions..

but if the entry level stuff probably doesn't take any of that into account and you could still go over the handlebars long before your front tyre loses traction, same as you could on a bike without abs

all that imaginary cheaper abs* would do is if you instantly grabbed a handful of brakes, it would stop you from washing out the front from under you like in this video

*I have no actual idea the different levels of abs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Motorcycle ABS is designed to stop excessive pressure on the front brake causing the front tyre to break traction with the road surface.
    This is a cause of most hard breaking accidents where the rider grabs a handful of front brake and the front washes out and you go down.
    The high end stuff has a 6 axis inertial managagement unit which takes into account angle of lean, if the back wheel is on the ground etc.
    all this is done in milliseconds so you may not even be aware of it, the 6 axis units also handle cornering stability as well.
    http://www.bosch-motorcycle.com/en/de/fahrsicherheit_fuer_zweiraeder/sicherheitssysteme_fuer_zweiraeder/motorrad_stabilitaetskontrolle/motorcycle_stability_control.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not hating at all.

In the dry and in a straight line an experienced biker would be able to lift the back wheel and stop on the stoppy, so they'd have a slightly shorter stopping distance. In all other circumstances the ABS will outbrake and save the rider.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When I first saw this thread title I thought this was going to be about stomach muscles and their use for riding!

I too have never has ABS on bikes. I remember when it was being touted as being a potential legal requirement a few years back there was noise about it being potentially unsafe on bikes. I guess that's no longer the case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

In the dry and in a straight line an experienced biker would be able to lift the back wheel and stop on the stoppy, so they'd have a slightly shorter stopping distance. In all other circumstances the ABS will outbrake and save the rider.

It's never dry in Ireland.

Abu94 wrote: »
    It's never dry in Ireland.

you can still stoppie in the wet

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I never wanted a bike with abs but I got a cb1000r a few years back and the hrc colours only came with abs so I ended up getting it . I mainly do trackdays so when I tested the brakes in the paddock and the abs kicked in on not very heavy braking I was panicking as to what was going to happen on track at speed . On track in all kinds of conditions I managed to get it to kick in twice , once after braking after the bridge in mondello and once into Dunlop braking about 20 metres after the normal braking marker that is used . It didn't interfere at all under heavy braking on track so you wouldn't notice you had it but I could definitely see the benefits to having it on the road if something pulled out in front of you and you had to grab the brakes . It's not necessary but it's worth getting .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have always had bikes with it. Legal requirement here that all new bikes come with abs and since I've always bought new, I've always had it. I wouldn't want a bike without it as honestly i don't think I've ever used one without.

It's a bit like traction control. My bike has it but I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually felt it though I'm sure ABS has kicked in fairly often :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Attitudes seem to have turned on it in the last few years, I remember growing up you had lads swear off it because "more stuff to go wrong". The days of being able to service all parts of your bike with a bent screwdriver and a hammer are gone, which is no bad thing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

you can still stoppie in the wet

Not with an ABS bike,not mine anyways. Neither can you do a rolling burnout with the bike either.

ABS is a good thing on/in any vehicle used normally. It's far better to be looking at it than for it when you really need it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

OP, If you have to ask, maybe new to biking, and can afford a later model bike with ABS then YES, absolutely do get a bike with ABS.

If you are a racer on sticky rubber and only going out on dry days then maybe not such and advantage. Real world biking.... anyone with a brain would opt for ABS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

BKtje wrote: »
    Have always had bikes with it. Legal requirement here that all new bikes come with abs and since I've always bought new, I've always had it. I wouldn't want a bike without it as honestly i don't think I've ever used one without.

It's a bit like traction control. My bike has it but I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually felt it though I'm sure ABS has kicked in fairly often :p

Jaysus, would you look at that, theres a biker here thats only a couple of Kantons away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

I've never ridden a bike with ABS so I don't know what the trade-off is but I can say that the only time I've come off my bike in 5 years was in a panic braking scenario. Would ABS have saved the day? I've no way to say but I'm sure it would have reduced the chances of me coming off.

My suggestion is that unless you happen to *know* that you can out-perform ABS, let the computer do the thinking for you. It was a "nice to have" for me on my current bike but I'll probably make a deal breaker on my next bike.

Happy biking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I had a bad fall off a bike once - rear wheel had locked under fairly heavy braking. I never noticed it for ages as all I could hear was a strange hissing noise. By the time I realised what was going on the bike had begun to snake and I had to ditch it. I was not injured but to my horror the bike righted itself again and continued on riderless towards a parked car with people in it. Thankfully the bike fell before it collided with the car and the bike had only a few scratches on it.
    Turned out I had braked on a bit of road that had a smooth tar surface and it was wet also.

Its reassuring to have abs on my current triumph Bonneville T120.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Not hating at all.

there is cornering abs and all sorts of stuff now, no way an average rider would even come close to that

not having abs isn't a big deal to me and it isn't an option for bikes of my year but it would always be good to have on the road
    Where do you get that from? ABS doesnt really even factor in until you've already made a mistake.
    I've a ktm 990 with abs and i'll tell you now that it can and does outbrake pretty much any non abs bike in like for like situation. The brakes on it are phenomonal, abs or no abs.

tbh terry don't see what you're getting at. Nobody here is against ABS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

tbh terry don't see what you're getting at. Nobody here is against ABS
    Its fairly obvious, Im disagreeing with the statement that an experienced rider (on no abs) will outbrake a person on an abs bike in the dry. On many occasions they will not. Theres far more to it than 'abs or no abs', thats a blanket statement and blatantly untrue.

Advertisement