Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Plonkers you hate

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I'd still ride her

You'd be better off with one of those love dolls, far less fake everything and not like a bucket after 9 children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Schwanz wrote: »
    Hot though to be fair to her

She's completely fake and plastered together with makeup and never a single close up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I honestly feel that it wouldn't matter how good an RTE presenter was, people would end up hating them regardless.

Always thought Pat Kenny was brilliant discussing serious topics and got the feeling he despised some of the light entertainment stuff he was obliged to do. People didn't like him because he didn't know how to talk to celebs and then they don't like Tubridy who lives for that bs.

Fair enough Tubridy is rubbish at pretty much everything but the country and the people deserve him because they're too stupid to appreciate serious minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Schwanz wrote: »
    Glen Hoddle on BT now looking like a well cooked duck & talking b**lox

Refused to pick his Top 4 pick for the season, had "Spurs or Arsenal" in 4th. He's a pundit paid to make predictions based on knowledge not sit on the focking fence.

The whole of BT is awful though, Gerrard mumbling yesterday, also refusing to make any comments, continually saying "we'll have to wait and see".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I honestly feel that it wouldn't matter how good an RTE presenter was, people would end up hating them regardless.

Always thought Pat Kenny was brilliant discussing serious topics and got the feeling he despised some of the light entertainment stuff he was obliged to do. People didn't like him because he didn't know how to talk to celebs and then they don't like Tubridy who lives for that bs.

Fair enough Tubridy is rubbish at pretty much everything but the country and the people deserve him because they're too stupid to appreciate serious minds.

Tubirdy looks even more uncomfortable when he has to talk about anything lighthearted and which isn't about politics or something serious.

Vincent Browne

He was just using his show to push his own agenda for the last few years about " the most oppressed people in Irish society" and giving soft interviews to any of them who appeared on the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can't stand most people involved in foodie programmes.

Number one being that greg fella on Masterchef, bald and glasses. Absolute pain
    Telly Savalas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Telly Savalas

Or this guy from Phonejacker.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

razorblunt wrote: »

The whole of BT is awful though, Gerrard mumbling yesterday, also refusing to make any comments, continually saying "we'll have to wait and see".

Calm down,calm down! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm usually very tolerant but if I see Sue Perkins, Johnny Vegas or Sarah Millican on any panel show, I switch it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Reginald D. Hunter. He's on loads of British panel quiz show things. I think they like him because he's black and American and lends some 'street cred' to the program. They certainly can't think he's funny. He talks gibberish and sounds like he's just woken from a coma. I suspect he's a heavy drug user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

My main issue is that they are paid far too much. What Kenny or Tubridy do is not out of the ordinary and really requires one ability: to be able to talk. Both have produced what I would term abysmal editions of the Late Late Show but Tubridy has added stupidity and vulgarity into the mix.

Kenny does come across as the more intelligent of the two and has had some good discussions during his Late Late tenure but his legacy is mixed. The Frontline was brutal and was too focused on the banking crisis and little else.

Poor chat programmes like the modern Late Late Show and The Frontline cannot be blamed on the presenter entirely though. The guests and content often are predetermined. A closed shop policy operates and the same old guests are on and a policy of laziness and lack of research confines the topics chosen too.

Kenny can be good when he has the right material. I agree you could see Kenny had no interest in some of the stuff he had to do. Tubridy on the other hand seems to embrace all this poor and artificial 'celebrity' culture of RTE. Overhyping of the mediocre and forcing them on us has become a way of life with Tubridy.

More and more people are turning their backs on shows like Tubridy's. They want something better and RTE ignore calls for reform and change. Watching Louis Walsh on yet again promoting yet another here today gone tomorrow act or having to listen to an ex boyband singer sing drivel about the farmer wanting a wife is hardly entertaining. Then Tubridy's attempts to be serious either see him spouting fake aggression with politicians or is overly patronising with guests with a social interest story.

Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh

Amanda Brunker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Jeremiah Wide Schoolteacher

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'm usually very tolerant but if I see Sue Perkins, Johnny Vegas or Sarah Millican on any panel show, I switch it off.

Add Katherine 'do I have to be here' Ryan, Michael Macintyre and James corden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

What an arrogant and stupid thing to say, ironically.

Well it was his job, a job funded by the tax payer. You are entitled to critique a presenters' work and he was relatively poor at the lighthearted stuff. It is nothing to do with being "too stupid to appreciate serious minds"

FWIW, I think Tubridy is relatively competent presenter to be fair,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Reginald D. Hunter. He's on loads of British panel quiz show things. I think they like him because he's black and American and lends some 'street cred' to the program. They certainly can't think he's funny. He talks gibberish and sounds like he's just woken from a coma. I suspect he's a heavy drug user.

His whole schtick seems to be 'I'm black' and that's supposed to be punchline to most of his jokes, which don't get any funnier the more you hear them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

alberto67 wrote: »
    A legend, always spot on, that's why he's not liked.

He is a cancerous polyp on the anus of humanity. THAT'S why he's not liked!

Jimmy Bullard, an irritating knob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Rawr

Phil_1.jpg

Always a bit of media wh*re, but even more so in recent years. The likes of him piss me off no end.

I saw him once prescribe his diet book to grieving parents. His f*cking Diet Book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

gmisk wrote: »
    Tim Lovejoy... Plonker

Any excuse to post this...
    No love, no joy

Helen Chamberlain’s former sidekick has celebrated leaving Soccer AM for 6.06 with a book. Taylor Parkes wants to know why anyone – anyone – thought it was a good idea to expose the presenter’s ego and prejudices across 288 smugly written pages

Soccer AM is a bad memory: hungover mornings in other people’s flats, disturbed by a crew of whooping simpletons, the slurping of pro and ex-pro rectums, cobbled-together comedy that made me long for the glory days of Skinner and Baddiel’s old ****. Yet Tim Lovejoy himself, with his fashionably receding hair and voice oddly reminiscent of Rod Hull’s, I remember only as an averagely blokey TV presenter – in fact, one of the few averagely blokey TV presenters to make me clack my tongue in irritation, rather than buff my Gurkha knife. Other than as a namesake of The Simpsons’ self-serving man of the cloth, he barely registered; just a bland, blond ringmaster in a cocky circus of crap. Almost a surprise, then, to find that his new book is not just ­tedious in the extreme, it is utterly vile.

Chopped into “chapters” that barely fill a page, in a font size usually associated with books for the partially sighted, Lovejoy on Football is part autobiography, part witless musing, and one more triumph for the crass stupidity rapidly replacing culture in this country. Hopelessly banal and nauseatingly self-assured, smirkingly unfunny, it’s a £300 T-shirt, a piss-you-off ringtone, a YouTube clip of someone drinking their mate’s vomit. Its smugness is a corollary of its vacuity. I hope it makes you sick.

First, it’s clear that being Tim Lovejoy requires a very special blend of arrogance and ignorance. When he’s not listing his media achievements with a breathtaking lack of guile, he’s sneering at those “sad” enough to take an interest in football history, revealing his utter cluelessness about life outside the Premier League (in a section called “Know Your Silverware”, he refers to “League Three”) and making sundry gaffes, major and minor. He names Johan Cruyff as his all-time favourite player, then admits he’s only seen that five-second World Cup clip of the Cruyff turn. Grumbling about footballers’ musical tastes, he complains that “all you’ll hear blasting out of the team dressing room is R&B, rather than what the rest of the country is listening to” – by which he means indie bands. Everywhere there are jaw-dropping illustrations of insularity, self-­satisfaction and a startlingly small mind.

There’s something sinister here, too: beamingly positive, thrilled by wealth, too pleased with himself to ask awkward questions, Tim Lovejoy is the football fan Sepp Blatter has been waiting for. Roman ­Abramovich’s darling young one. Not least for his complacency: his lack of understanding of how football works (and doesn’t work) is best illustrated in a section called “Give Your Chairman A Break”, in which he defends “that Thai bloke at Man City”, and implores us to “look at the Glazers... you would have thought they were nothing but a bunch of Americans intent on buying the club and selling off Old Trafford to Tesco judging by the howl of protests from the fans. Within two seasons though, they had won the title and built a squad the envy of Europe.” Bang your head off the wall at such unreviewable stupidity – Tim’s infantile ideas of shunning “negativity” prod him into precisely the kind of thinking that has had such hugely negative influence on the game. “Look across our national team” – he means England, by the way – “and there isn’t one player who wouldn’t walk into any side in Europe... why is it, before every tournament, we start believing we’re overrated?”

And, surprise: Lovejoy is as wretched a star****er as could be inferred from his television shows. Everyone in football is Tim’s mate (and here we have pictures to prove it, stars looking confused in his grinning, over-familiar presence, frozen by an arm around the shoulders). He’ll “even watch the occasional game of rugby now, because I’m friends with a lot of the players like Will Greenwood, Matt Dawson, Lawrence ­Dallaglio and Austin Healy”.

It’s perhaps telling that among the many anecdotes offered here, the most heartwarming (and least surprising) involves Tim getting clattered hard by Neil Ruddock in a charity game; even in this version of the story, there’s nothing to suggest Razor meant it affectionately. Still, our man is blinded by quite astonishing hubris, reprinting a photo of a banner at Anfield reading “LOVEJOY SUCKS BIG FAT COCKS” with a glee that is nothing like self-deprecation. “The hardest thing about leaving ­Soccer AM,” he says regretfully, “is the thought that I might no longer be influencing the game.” True, it’ll be tough. But who knows? Perhaps the game will struggle on.

It’s not that there was ever a time when football on telly wasn’t in the hands of dimwits, poseurs and blowhards. It’s not that Lovejoy is significantly more objectionable than TV ****s of ages past. The point is, in his own mind and that of the powers that be, he’s one of us. He is us. Savour that. God help us.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Richard Quest (CNN) the epitome of a loud obnoxious pratt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Leigh Francis aka Keith Lemon.
    Justin Lee Collins. Don't see him on telly now as he turned out to be a total pr1ck.

The Rubber bandits - people shouldn't take direction of someone wearing a plastic bag on their head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Lucy Hale - what a headwrecker.

Advertisement