Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Saltburn is very good. Barry Keoghan really is playing a blinder with his movie picks and performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

stuck into the blacklist....very good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Yeah thought it was really good! Visually it was great and there was a good story to it!

Rosamund Pike had some great lines

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ltd440

I don't know why I waited till now to start fargo, I'm only 4 episodes in on season 1 but I'm hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just watched Tigerland, what a movie and Colin Farrell was brilliant in this.

I might be a bit biased as I do like the genre of Vietnam war films though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There seems to be a whole bunch of Colin Farrell films uploaded - I think I saw his version of Total Recall listed recently.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah I added Hearts War to my watch list, starts Farrel and Bruce Willis.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Ozvaldo

except for the freak that covers himself in sh1te bit of a weirdo that fella -still trying to make out the story with him and up to date on episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I had to use a vpn to get the new series of fargo said it wasnt available here for some reason

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yikes, this is a shítty move: all tiers going advert included, with as free becoming a 2.99 extra. Blimey. Definitely changes my thoughts on Amazon, whose offerings were already much thinner than other services - even Disney.

I haven't got the email so I presume the IE service is exempt ... for now.

On January 29, commercials will be introduced to series and movies airing on the service in the U.S., UK, Germany and Canada. That will be followed by France, Italy, Spain, Mexico, and Australia later in the year.

We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here. Prime Video customers have the option to pre-register for the monthly ad-free option, but won’t be billed until January 29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know Netflix have an ad tier but how do they usually work? When you first start watching, even if going back to film and between episodes? Banners while watching? I assume there are no ads while watching like on TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC it's just a hard cut to adverts during a runtime of something: there were showrunners and whatnot who were (rightly) annoyed that automatic adverts would just be wedged into inappropriate points of their production, as opposed to the natural pints you can stop a narrative for the requisite network TV break.

Crazy how steaming has now basically reverted to the old "cable TV" model that this era was supposed to have dispensed with

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So similar to, I think, tv3 who would pretty much cut in mid sentence due to ads being inserted at timed points rather than where they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Even if you pay the 2.99 for the ad-free service they will still show ads during sport programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Another reminder to cancel subscription. Bad enough on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All these companies are doing now after pumping billions into streaming to challenge Netflix and failing at that is driving more people to pirating there original content with ads editted out of it instead of paying a reasonable price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Gone full circle? Back to the auld Cablelink service.

The only thing that will happen now, is people will cancel their services and back to pirating.

1) pirating is even easier these days

2) there's a whole generation out there raised on ad free streaming. They are not going to be happy with this. So its back to a new generation of pirating.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Usually view on Android tv and was not able to stop them yet.

• Advertisement

Oh ok, I'm not familiar with Android tv and adding ad blocks but I sure you've looked into it.

You could pay for a subscription to YouTube premium for around 2 quid a month and it's well worth it for less than €25 for a year.

You just have to sign into YouTube from India or Argentina. It's so easy, you'll also get YouTube music too which is the equivalent to deezer, Spotify ect.

There is a thread in bargain alerts that explains how to do it.

More than that, Amazon spent an insane amount on Lord of the Rings and Citadel (hands up who remembered that 300 million nothing), and it's the viewers paying for this ludicrous spend cos surprise - nobody flocked to watch a drab LotR or white label spy drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i do.

anyway....there'll be a modded prime app in no time i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got an email from Prime Video confirming ads on their way...

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting February 5, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than ad-supported TV channels and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional £2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

The comment at the end is interesting:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh I missed that part. Up the Irish so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Wonder will they get Outlander back now that Lionsgate are closing!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭animalinside

That was RTE, maybe TV3 sometimes did it as well and I just didn't watch TV3 enough to see it. RTE would not only cut it mid-sentence but then when they came back you also wouldn't get the end of the sentence, it would be onto the next part of the broadcast. And this wasn't some cutting off of Derek Mooney in the middle of the day or something - literal prime time blockbuster movies that people had been looking forward to for days and would be engraved in their memories forever would be cut off, sometimes mid-sentence, due to ads. I once had a pet theory that maybe it made it more attractive to advertisers to be put mid-film like that as it might leave more of an impression to be the ad cutting in like that rather than between scenes when people mentally shut off, but I'm sure it was more just incomptency.

RTE must have been running the programmes at slightly incorrect speeds or something and had to do this to get back on schedule, it's almost unfathomable the level of incompetence and how that was allowed to occur over a prolonged period on a publically-funded channel. It only started after the 2000s or so and went on for some years.

I reckon they're talking about ads being put between the wrong scenes. I highly doubt any streaming service would cut up programmes mid-sentence or even mid-scene, that is not something they would do. Only the incompetency level of RTE would do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Didn't realise they lost it completely. I've not had it since I moved from UK to Ireland Prime (when brexit and the 'not available in your location' issues).

I wonder with a lot of the inclusions of Prime (for UK) not being available to Irish customers (like the fresh food delivery) will it mean no ads being added for a good while.

Advertisement