Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(International) Guess the Location 2 a.k.a. Part Deux (see rules post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fellow Bryson fan, Marty? You're up :)

Honestly I just skimmed that book a while back, I really did no research beyond googling to double check I had the name of the town right. :o

It’s a good picture of the place though because you make it look much smaller than it is, I’d be ages looking for it otherwise.

A site of a truly heinous act (allegedly) is this place, one may find themselves at death’s door:

515179.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

martyos121 wrote: »
    A site of a truly heinous act (allegedly)...

St. Vladimir Cathedral in Chersonesos/Sevastopol, Crimean Peninsula.

St. Vladimir Cathedral in Chersonesos/Sevastopol, Crimean Peninsula.

Fair play, didn’t think it’d go that quickly. Did the clue give it away?

• Advertisement

Did the clue give it away?

I'm still not sure if the "heinous" clue referred to Vlad's conversion to Christianity, the siege (of Sevastopol) at the end of the Crimean War, or something else I've missed at this late hour.

In any event, your photo just about screams Russian Orthodox, so I started with Ukraine* (see the ferris wheel episode earlier) and just got lucky :)

(* Crimean Peninsula disputed as Ukrainian, apparently.)

I'll sleep on it and post another in the AM.

I'm still not sure if the "heinous" clue referred to Vlad's conversion to Christianity, the siege (of Sevastopol) at the end of the Crimean War, or something else I've missed at this late hour.

In any event, your photo just about screams Russian Orthodox, so I started with Ukraine* (see the ferris wheel episode earlier) and just got lucky :)

(* Crimean Peninsula disputed as Ukrainian, apparently.)

I'll sleep on it and post another in the AM.

Well first of all the one pictured is the Sevastopol church, which is a copy of the Chersonesus Cathedral. You guessed both which is perfectly fine but the clue refers to that particular church in Sevastopol.

It’s in reference to the rumoured killing of Joachim Levitsky, a martyr of the Russian Orthodox Church who was said to have been crucified within that church, hung upside down on the doors of the iconostasis (hence “...at death’s door”). It’s more of a religious myth than anything and his true fate is unknown, but I thought it would make for an interesting (if not a bit grim) riddle. :)

515220.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

Point Dume Post Office, Malibu.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0218228,-118.8086138,3a,54.1y,165.14h,83.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suxGEkn0tQaRCbynnp4Ew5Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I found it from, of all things, the hint!

Of course that was only after searching ever other way I could think of before throwing my toys out of the pram.

niley wrote: »
    I found it from, of all things, the hint!

God dammit, Niley! :):):)

Edit: For folks who missed the clue - I assume that's what you meant, Niley - the filename is dante.jpg. I'm a divil for reading the Trivia section on IMDb whilst keeping one eye on the actual movie.

"Dante's Peak (1997)

The somewhat volcano-shaped building, which appears as the "Cascade Volcano Observatory", is the real-life post office in Malibu, California."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Wow, thats incredible that Niley put those two together! I'm well impressed!

I went down a slightly different path at looking at images of regional US postal service offices on google images. :D i think I'd of been at it a while.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Wow, thats incredible that Niley put those two together! I'm well impressed!

I went down a slightly different path at looking at images of regional US postal service offices on google images. :D i think I'd of been at it a while.

TMBS was watching Dante's Peak yesterday, then called the image dante.jpg today, and on Wikipedia for Dante's Peak is "Exterior shots of the Point Dume Post Office in Malibu, California, were used as..." so that I would say is the first time I used clue to solve anything.

I'll throw one up later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

TMBS was watching Dante's Peak yesterday, then called the image dante.jpg today, and on Wikipedia for Dante's Peak is "Exterior shots of the Point Dume Post Office in Malibu, California, were used as..." so that I would say is the first time I used clue to solve anything.

I'll throw one up later this evening.

Ah that makes a lot more sense.

It turns out I actually drove right past it, I've done the road trip from San Fran to LA going via Big Sur, I was probably too busy looking for a Dunkin Donuts to take note of it.

Here we go..

515298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

Assisi?

Assisi?

Nopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Be right back

Nopers.

Is it in Italy?

Matthias Church in Budapest? Can’t find that view of it but I’m fairly sure.

Is it in Italy?

Nope!

Matthias Church in Budapest? Can’t find that view of it but I’m fairly sure.

Yup!

515303.jpeg

• Advertisement

That's the Cathedral Basilica São Luiz Gonzaga in Novo Hamburgo, Brazil.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vb89QWXCkV6zLRjq5

Open to the floor, peeps, too tired this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Try this one so.

515333.PNG

KevRossi wrote: »
    Try this one so.

Just to narrow it down a wee bit, Kev, and playing the odds, the Telefonica decal on the phonebox would suggest España?

Just to narrow it down a wee bit, Kev, and playing the odds, the Telefonica decal on the phonebox would suggest España?

Si.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Gernika?

San Juan Kalea - to be more precise

KevRossi wrote: »
    ... the mosaic of Picasso's Guernikara

Every day's a learning day.

The left hand of the woman surrounded by flames on the far right? To my eye, it looked three-dimensional in Kev's original pic which took to me to all sorts of inventively wrong searches :):):)

Again, fair play, Sheep, mighty job altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

515365.PNG

Lafayette County Courthouse
    Mayo, Florida

• Advertisement

ok, haven't had one up for a while......
    lets see how this goes, not much good at embedding i'm afraid

I did it!

Advertisement