Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(International) Guess the Location 2 a.k.a. Part Deux (see rules post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

KevRossi wrote: »
    Found it. Same theme as the last one that I put up. Germany alright, water in the photo isn't salty.

I'll have to work out Niley's hint. ??

A sadly famous phrase from one Herbert Morrison in relation to a calamitous event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Found it. Same theme as the last one that I put up. Germany alright, water in the photo isn't salty.

I'll have to work out Niley's hint. ??

Yes, it's definitely the same theme!

Has Niley been everywhere? :D

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes, it's definitely the same theme!

Has Niley been everywhere? :D

Nope! I look at many of these places and think "Oh I'd love to visit there!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well the quote is one from Herbert Morrison, reporting on the Hindenburg disaster, so the place in question is the Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen. :)

Edit: just noticed it’s basically been got already, carry on. :o

514586.jpeg

Let’s see if anyone can get this before any clues. :)

Ah too late with the edit, not that it would’ve made any difference. Well done Kev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well the quote is one from Herbert Morrison, reporting on the Hindenburg disaster, so the place in question is the Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen. :)

The Zeppelin Museum and nearby Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen are both well worth visiting if you have any interest in aviation.

VG31 wrote: »
    The Zeppelin Museum and nearby Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen are both well worth visiting if you have any interest in aviation.

It’s definitely going on the list, haven’t been properly around Germany yet.

Someone else can post one up if they have one since Kev is busy, don’t have anything in mind myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

Hope this isn't too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Is that a Monorail in the background?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Is that a Monorail in the background?

I'll go with either Ogdenville, Brockway or North Haverbrook? ;)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'll go with either Ogdenville, Brockway or North Haverbrook? ;)

Or following the theme..

Take My Wife, Sleaze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Hope this isn't too easy.

I'm struggling with one, BRB, mostly because of perspective and content. Given the twin smokestacks and the elevated train, I thought I had it with the (semi-derelict) Northwest Incinerator in Chicago, IL, but no :( (Also, unless that train has just made a really tight left turn, where the hell is it coming from?) Nothing much on the horizon compounds the confusion.

Framington, MA, Charlotte, NC, Seattle, WA, all no, I think.

Maybe it's not even North America? I'll keep plugging away :)

I'd hate to see anyone actively using the wrong criteria for their researching, so I'd just say there's no monorail in that image, it's just your standard North American pile-them-high interstate.

I'm struggling with one, BRB, mostly because of perspective and content. Given the twin smokestacks and the elevated train, I thought I had it with the (semi-derelict) Northwest Incinerator in Chicago, IL, but no :( (Also, unless that train has just made a really tight left turn, where the hell is it coming from?) Nothing much on the horizon compounds the confusion.

Framington, MA, Charlotte, NC, Seattle, WA, all no, I think.

Maybe it's not even North America? I'll keep plugging away :)

North America is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Look at this picture. Twin stacks and an elevated road. The Incinérateur des Carrières in Montréal. And it's not here either.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/or1sCfMxDP31m8L96

*reluctantly admits defeat* :( *pages Niley* :)

Stupid google machine: ("united states" OR "canada") AND ("twin") AND ("smokestack" OR "chimney") AND ("power plant" OR "incinerator" OR "factory")

"factory")

Have you used my hint "Take My Wife, Sleaze." in your searching ? :)

Look at this picture. Twin stacks and an elevated road. The Incinérateur des Carrières in Montréal. And it's not here either.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/or1sCfMxDP31m8L96

Stupid google machine: ("united states" OR "canada") AND ("twin") AND ("smokestack" OR "chimney") AND ("power plant" OR "incinerator" OR "factory")

There is a museum just next to it. Not sure what Niley's clue means. Edit, I get it now, Niley. Very good hint!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Harley Davidson Museum Milwaukee

Found the power plant chimneys first took a while to find the right view!
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0314379,-87.9167938,3a,75y,294.67h,92.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDGqa-lmEx5PbJMPOzUgpOg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Ryath wrote: »
    Harley Davidson Museum Milwaukee

Found the power plant chimneys first took a while to find the right view!
    https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0314379,-87.9167938,3a,75y,294.67h,92.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDGqa-lmEx5PbJMPOzUgpOg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Your go!!

• Advertisement

514731.png

How did you get that! Fair play. How many French cathedrals did you actually look at?
    Was sure I'd have to give clues!

Sticks in my mind as I was cycle touring in France about 10 years ago we got in about 7.30pm thought it was a big town thought no problem to get something to eat. Took our time showered at campsite and went out around 8.30 was probably around 8.45 when we got into town centre everything was closing at 9 couldn't get food anywhere ended up having to eat out of vending machines in the train station. This is a big town now pop 50,000 though it was a Monday night.

Wandered around sight seeing for a bit. Town was dead at 9pm by 9.45 it was abandoned, it was quieter than at 4 am in a town here. They go to bed very early in France! Was back up in the square beside the cathedral. Had a gendarme car pull up two cops jump out one demanding carte d’identité other standing back with his hand on his gun both being fairly aggressive. They relaxed a bit when we showed our Irish passports but it was pretty intimating. It was fairly obvious we were tourists I would have thought, the two of us were in shorts and sandals and I had a camera bag around my neck. Been back in France loads of times since and never had an experience like it again.

So this is the lengths I go to sometimes...

Google Image search came back with zilch, so that to me makes it worth searching for in the first place. Found this list, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cathedrals_in_France - and although the cathedral is listed there, I missed it (So to answer your question, I looked at every single cathedral in France :o). Now I was invested in the search at this point and I was not about to give up, so I changed tactic. I hauled out and dusted off a graphics program, and modified the image you'd posted, making the sky blue, removing the tree, the woman, and extending the left side of the image to what I thought it might look like, it turned into this...

514825.jpg

Now using Google to search for that didn't turn up much, until multiple pages down I saw this black and white image...

514826.jpg

And that was eventually what lead me to the correct location.

I then went back and looked at the list of cathedrals on wikipedia and there it was, and all I could say to myself was "FFS" :mad:

So yet again... Yes I do have too much time on my hands :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You need help, niley.

I just started looking for plate tracery in French churches and cathedrals and gave up after half an hour realising just how broad that search was.

You have to admire niley’s commitment to the task.

Have a go at this one (easily found with the right search)...

514896.jpg

That one’s wrecking my head. I’m pretty sure I’m searching based on the right features, but either my terminology is a bit off or I’m barking up the wrong tree altogether.

Might I ask if the top right quarter of the picture is where the “right search” will lead or is it a bit early to answer that?

Somewhere in Malta I'm guessing.......?

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    That one’s wrecking my head. I’m pretty sure I’m searching based on the right features, but either my terminology is a bit off or I’m barking up the wrong tree altogether.

Might I ask if the top right quarter of the picture is where the “right search” will lead or is it a bit early to answer that?

More so centre of image, though in the cold light of day it's not as detailed as I was hoping, I may post another zoomed in image later if nobody gets it.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Somewhere in Malta I'm guessing.......?

Nope, not in Malta.

Advertisement