Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remotest place you have been

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Ascension Island, RAF Mount Alice on the Falklands (stuck on top of a mountain).

Would loved to have gone to the South Georgian Islands to see if the urban myth about the penguins was true but the weather was too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Chernobyl

(Not really... the nuclear site was busy with workers... people still live in Chernobyl, but Pripyat was pretty ghostly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Aristotle145

Svalbard,Norway
    Jan Mayen,Norway
    Ascension Island,Atlantic ocean
    Bouvet island near Antartica
    Greenland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Been in some hard to reach and remote parts of the Rockies in Canada as teenager, camping in an RV in the middle of nowhere.

Recently was in the wilds of Sri Lanka and the Gili Islands in Indonesia but neither of them were really empty of people and Gili T had a fierce bar and restaurant culture. Still no motorised vehicles allowed on the island except a few electric motor bikes so it feels calm and peaceful.

But the most remote was when a jeep abandoned me to sit on a bed on a sand dune in the desert near the Pakistan Border in Rajasthan, India, where I sat alone watching the sun go down for an hour or so before 2 Canadian girls came over the dunes on camels with their guides and we all had dinner together. There were moments I was sure buzzards were gonna start circling and decide I was dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Witchie wrote: »
    Been in some hard to reach and remote parts of the Rockies in Canada as teenager, camping in an RV in the middle of nowhere.

Recently was in the wilds of Sri Lanka and the Gili Islands in Indonesia but neither of them were really empty of people and Gili T had a fierce bar and restaurant culture. Still no motorised vehicles allowed on the island except a few electric motor bikes so it feels calm and peaceful.

But the most remote was when a jeep abandoned me to sit on a bed on a sand dune in the desert near the Pakistan Border in Rajasthan, India, where I sat alone watching the sun go down for an hour or so before 2 Canadian girls came over the dunes on camels with their guides and we all had dinner together. There were moments I was sure buzzards were gonna start circling and decide I was dinner.

Back seat driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Gravelly wrote: »
    Back seat driver?

Ha ha....no....not on the way into the desert but when we were leaving, I jokingly said to the guy driving to slow down as he was flying along. He did and we ended up getting stuck in the sand and it took 20 minutes for us to get out again. Ooops! If he didn't throw me out then, he never would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anyone see the doco on Netflix about the Argentinian surfers who go to the Mitre Peninsula. Worth a watch, and pretty remote. WOuld love to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Kerguelen - was supposed to be there for only a week or so, but the weather turned it into a month long stay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Either Tsugaru peninsula or Shiretoko peninsula in Northern Japan.

But neither that remote by international standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I was outside the m50 once.

I couldn't get data on 3.

I felt so alone......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Jawgap wrote: »
    Kerguelen - was supposed to be there for only a week or so, but the weather turned it into a month long stay!!

Was there a pub?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The corner cabinet in my kitchen. LOADS of remotes in there. For stuff you don't even need a remote for. Who needs a remote for a portable dvd player? It's RIGHT THERE ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

old_aussie wrote: »
    I've been to Dapto. :)

Ha I stayed there for a few months while working on the Gerringong highway upgrade. It was a kip but never had any trouble there. Heard stories about the place though!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Inisturk Island and no boat out until 7.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Inisturk Island and no boat out until 7.30pm.

Lovely spot I have been there meself.
    They seem to be crying out for people to take up residence

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

It's not very remote as there is a hotel and holiday homes there but Rottnest Island off the coast of Perth, Australia would be mine.
    I don't think anyone actually lives on the island there is one ferry that brings people to and from the island and when you get there its great.
    We rented bikes and cycled around the island on a scorching hot day, we had white sand beaches with crystal clear water all to ourselves, then cycle another few meters up the road to the next one. There was a lot of snakes around the roads which I didn't like but there were also these cool animals called quokkas which only exist on this island. They're like a cross between a rat and a squirrel and are huge and we were able to hand feed them. I love it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The quokkas are very happy animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

seachto7 wrote: »
    Anyone see the doco on Netflix about the Argentinian surfers who go to the Mitre Peninsula. Worth a watch, and pretty remote. WOuld love to go there.

Name of the programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Lived on a farm in Australia for a few months.
    Nearest neighbour was 10 minute drive. Closest small town was 40 minute drive. No shops between the house and town.
    No TV and dog slow dial up internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Was it for the NZ Govt? Hard to get work there?

I applied recently enough to go Antarctica with the Brexit crowd but they sent me a PFO

I was with a private company in a non-scientific role. A short stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

They seem to be crying out for people to take up residence

If they stopped sacrificing them to that giant wicker effigy they wouldn't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

seachto7 wrote: »
    eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Name of the programme?

Found it, Peninsula Mitre. Pretty good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Los Angeles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Was there a pub?

Nope......but it's a French possession so there was decent wine and a fair bit of it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Cobourg Peninsula, Arnham Land, Northern Australia

https://goo.gl/maps/ke1m797yjwt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

The moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I climbed this place on the Isle of Skye Scotland last year. It's called the old Man of Storr.

Heaven on Earth and beautiful beyond description.:)

7311927352_136cc6e4f9_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

hiked into Olympic National Park wilderness in Washington for a few days during the government shutdown a few years back
    there was nobody in there for weeks. not even park rangers.
    absolutely beautiful spot.

vancouver island is another place that is quite remote once you go up along the west coast.

nothing like camping and having to hang up your food and cosmetics in a bear hang bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

On the Nullabore, SA, just short of the WA border, waiting for a Perth - Adelaide bus to drop off a new waterpump and a tube of silastic the next morning so I could fix the semi so we could complete the trip to Perth.

At night - the stars, my god, the stars!

Advertisement