Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remotest place you have been

Options
  • 31-07-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

I'm obsessed with remote places. Someday I hope to have my own TV show where I'd be showcasing very remote locations in the world where I'd claim to be camping out but in fact I'd be sleeping in a luxury prefab hotel-style accommodation with complete with jaccuzi, king size bed, minimalist modern bathroom and fully stocked drinks cabinet which would be set up at huge expense before my arrival. The film crew would film me pretending to drink my own piddle inside in my tent to stay warm before retreating to my luxury accommodation to chill and smoke dope with my film crew buddies while a few shipping container-sized diesel generators hum away in the background.

So far I reckon the remotest place I've been is the shortcut road from Egilsstaðir to Hofn. Not a sinner or a house to be seen for absolutely miles and signs up before you enter the road reminding you of the exorbitant cost of being rescued here if you break down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Denmark, WA. Remote compared to everywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Craggy Island :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Jungle of Papua New Guinea.
    Port Moresby was a hoot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Somewhere in the middle of Ukraine

Remote Western Australia, Northern Territories

Jungle in the middle of Sri Lanka

Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Six weeks on Spitsbergen with just two other people and a month at McMurdo Station Antarctica. Kamiali Biological Station, Papua New Guinea is fairly remote too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've been in a wilderness, there was even a nice sign to let me know it was a wilderness :)

2i1o3dw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Rented a remote cabin somewhere in north Finland beside a lake, nearest shop was a 40 minute drive. You didn't want to forget the milk! Was damn awesome sitting out by the lake and watching the sun come down close to the horizon and go back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Southern Congo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Stewart Highway in the Northern Territory, Australia. No habitations for hundreds of miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Six weeks on Spitsbergen with just two other people and a month at McMurdo Station Antarctica. Kamiali Biological Station, Papua New Guinea is fairly remote too.

I think it's probably safe to close the thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Gravelly wrote: »
    I think it's probably safe to close the thread now.

I'm still waiting for someone to post a convincing story claiming to have been to Bouvet Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Were you exiled or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I'm still waiting for someone to post a convincing story claiming to have been to Bouvet Island

Did I not tell you about the time I followed a mermaid to Bouvet Island where we lived on unicorn piss and dragon eggs before being rescued by Elvis?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

Tory Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Around West Africa on a bicycle. The road through the Sahara from Morocco to Mauritania would probably be my longest stint somewhere remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Drove across a big chunk of Canada a few years ago. Some pretty remote places. Spent a couple of days in northern Thailand up at the Laos border too. Different world altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Around West Africa on a bicycle. The road through the Sahara from Morocco to Mauritania would probably be my longest stint somewhere remote.

Much traffic there? How many white Toyota hiluxes with machine guns on the back did you see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Stewart Highway in the Northern Territory, Australia. No habitations for hundreds of miles.

Do you mean the Stuart Highway, or the Sturt Highway - both very different, don't get them confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Dursey Island, by cable car with a hole in the floor

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jackon's Bay. As far down the west coast of NZ as the road goes. Feckin' sandfly central, I didn't stay long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Much traffic there? How many white Toyota hiluxes with machine guns on the back did you see?

Lots of normal traffic being a main road between two countries. No nasty stuff for me. I met this fella though and his mate and spent time with them in Mauritania before he got kidnapped in Mali.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/africa/2017/06/27/al-qaeda-hostage-johan-gustafsson-released.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been to the far end of Leitrim, it was a long arduous journey by foot as their are no roads or even lanes. We abandoned our 4x4 in Sligo right on the cusp of Leitrim and trekked for 3 hrs to get their. It was such a strange place, there is nothing there, no tree's or animals or anything. We thought we seen human life but we were mistaken and it was just a lonely Leitrimer on the way to Cavan to get milk for the tae.

I've also been 350kms west of Ayers Rock/Uluru in the Gibson Desert where there literally is absolutely nothing but road and desert. It is a remarkable place!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Baldonnel air base.It even snowed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Bests menswear in northside shopping centre.
    A barren desolate vacuum of mohair, tweed and timeliness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Nordkapp

Advertisement