Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rule Breakages

Options
  • 30-07-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, the original draft of the roles had a line stating there were 11 human beings or whatever. The PMs were written with that in mind.

As the rules were worked upon, roles edited and other factors, that line was removed from the OP, none of us noticed. I wouldn't have even thought it an issue, no one in the game questioned the number of NRVs.

A few players confirmed they were Human Beings, which isn't a role. Given 11 people were Human Beings, once it was pointed out it was immediately obvious that that person was an NRV. Wolves and roled Goodies didn't know the Human Beings existed, so anyone confused had a role.

So 4 NRVs were confirmed and what, 2 roled players were confirmed as roled to wolves.

The Ass Crack Bandit had his powers removed during the game, this was for two reasons.

The first being the missed vote D1. Drumpot is contesting that this was accidental, and I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not accusing you Drumpot, just putting it out there. We felt it may have been tactical.

The second was the troll discussion, we felt that the rule was being ignored and action needed to be taken. It probably would have been a warning, but posts like this are clearly trying to circumvent the rule.

We didn't want to be heavy handed with the wording or enforment of rules, but I feel entirely justified in the decisions we have made.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to PM if you would like to discuss this privately.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mark on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm sorry if revealing as Troy kind of messed with the troll rules. I spotted that was going to be an issue when i got Troy, because announcing my role was always going to end the doll with me the next morning :/ i wasn't deliberately trying to bypass the rule, but I felt I had to come out as Troy last night if the wolves knew, and role reveals obviously weren't against rules. it just meant it was impossible not to simultaneously ask for the doll :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Digi,

You killed my character for what I consider minor infractions that genuinely weren't intentionally meant to disrupt or spoil the game.

Why didn't you at least PM me about the vote ? Why didn't you at least PM me while you were discussing what to do to at least see if we could figure something out, to see if I was intentionally trying to spoil the game ?

I was posting around the vote I missed and made it clear why I didn't vote. I was busy engaging the villagers, revealing my role because I genuinely thought I was going to be lynched. As I understand it, part of the "every villager must vote" rule is there to make sure people stay involved. I don't think I could of been more involved or invested in the game if I tried. So I feel this recorded infraction for this very harsh. Especially as I see many posters do not seem to of been given infractions for low posting.

With regards to the doll thing, I didn't think there was any problem at all with it until several hours later when you brought it up. Considering some of the ambiguity surrounding game rules, I felt I was just trying to come up with a strategy. I asked the village what if "X" before I even went ahead with it. Other villagers were saying stuff like "if u have the doll come out", so I assumed it should be fine.

You invested alot of time in the game and for that I don't like making an issue out of this but Like I said on PM, I think you guys got this completely wrong and went way over the top. You killed a character I spent 2 days building up and might aswell as just kill me off. I invested a lot of time into the character and didn't see where I could take it once you said I was now an NRV. I reflected on it over night, before making any rash decisions. I gave you plenty of options on how we could sort this out and on how I would work with you to get my character removed from the game in a way that might at least not require this public post, but you said be NRV or leave.

I have been at a family function all day and tried to put the odd post in to keep involved in the hope that maybe I might get a taste for the game again later. However, this post does it for me. I think at this stage, this has taken its course and my character should be removed from the game . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Drumpot wrote: »
    Digi,

You killed my character for what I consider minor infractions that genuinely weren't intentionally meant to disrupt or spoil the game.

Why didn't you at least PM me about the vote ? Why didn't you at least PM me while you were discussing what to do to at least see if we could figure something out, to see if I was intentionally trying to spoil the game ?

I was posting around the vote I missed and made it clear why I didn't vote. I was busy engaging the villagers, revealing my role because I genuinely thought I was going to be lynched. As I understand it, part of the "every villager must vote" rule is there to make sure people stay involved. I don't think I could of been more involved or invested in the game if I tried. So I feel this recorded infraction for this very harsh. Especially as I see many posters do not seem to of been given infractions for low posting.

With regards to the doll thing, I didn't think there was any problem at all with it until several hours later when you brought it up. Considering some of the ambiguity surrounding game rules, I felt I was just trying to come up with a strategy. I asked the village what if "X" before I even went ahead with it. Other villagers were saying stuff like "if u have the doll come out", so I assumed it should be fine.

You invested alot of time in the game and for that I don't like making an issue out of this but Like I said on PM, I think you guys got this completely wrong and went way over the top. You killed a character I spent 2 days building up and might aswell as just kill me off. I invested a lot of time into the character and didn't see where I could take it once you said I was now an NRV. I reflected on it over night, before making any rash decisions. I gave you plenty of options on how we could sort this out and on how I would work with you to get my character removed from the game in a way that might at least not require this public post, but you said be NRV or leave.

I have been at a family function all day and tried to put the odd post in to keep involved in the hope that maybe I might get a taste for the game again later. However, this post does it for me. I think at this stage, this has taken its course and my character should be removed from the game . . .

Drumpot the rules are there in black and white and to be perfectly honest this bs of oh I didn't think the rules applied is just that F-ing BS.

I don't give a sh1t what you said on thread about not voting, you offered no explanation to the mods why you didn't vote.

You can consider them, minor infractions all you want but the rules are there in black and white. We didn't spend hours writing them so people could make up their own interpretations and apply them as they fancy. The rules are the rules and they exist to govern the game.

What's the thought process behind banning the talk on the doll?

Drumpot the rules are there in black and white and to be perfectly honest this bs of oh I didn't think the rules applied is just that F-ing BS.

I don't give a sh1t what you said on thread about not voting, you offered no explanation to the mods why you didn't vote.

You can consider them, minor infractions all you want but the rules are there in black and white. We didn't spend hours writing them so people could make up their own interpretations and apply them as they fancy. The rules are the rules and they exist to govern the game.

You need to take it easy there chief. I told you exactly why I missed that vote:

"I was multi tasking trying to get the village to give me a target.". I sent this to the WW account that reason.

I got no response, no "can you elaborate" so assumed we were fine.

• Advertisement

You need to take it easy there chief. I told you exactly why I missed that vote:

"I was multi tasking trying to get the village to give me a target.". I sent the WW account that reason.

I got no response, no "can you elaborate" so assumed we were fine.

Yeah that's not a real reason, a real reason is like I'm stuck at work and I can't get online. I'm sick in bed blah blah blah. I can't decide who to vote on and the village isn't doing what I want them to is not a valid reason to miss a vote.

Yeah that's not a real reason, a real reason is like I'm stuck at work and I can't get online. I'm sick in bed blah blah blah. I can't decide who to vote on and the village isn't doing what I want them to is not a valid reason to miss a vote.

Seriously? .... Good luck with that ....

Seriously? .... Good luck with that ....

yes seriously!

well sure then why not let the wolves delay their kills every day until the priest or someone cool comes out, sure "I can't get the seer to come out so I can kill them so I'm gonna hold off on my munch order until I can get my way"

yes seriously!

well sure then why not let the wolves delay their kills every day until the priest or someone cool comes out, sure "I can't get the seer to come out so I can kill them so I'm gonna hold off on my munch order until I can get my way"

You are over thinking this and making Massive leaps. Nobody knew who voted for who. I was a goody. What benefit did I get by not voting?

You say that if there is a good reason not to vote it's ok, but dismiss my reason (my head was spinning at vote time cause I thought I was about to be lynched)..

No point in going round in circles and wasting anymore time.

I am sorry the game ended and your time was wasted.

• Forum Games Player Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Ewan WW

The rules clearly stated that missing a vote was punishable by losing your next vote. No other sanction was mentioned so why it's being made a big deal of I don't know.
    Derry contributed massively to the game and if he are gonna point out issues why not point out those that sign up and don't bother to even play.
    The doll was badly conceived and the idea that a game mechanic cannot be discussed or that people cannot role claim is illogical and unworkable I said as much in a discussion thread before.

Adding pointless flavour was the least of this games issues, as myself andy and forty all pointed out in the role reveal thread you cannot create a special class for nrv's they need to be nrv's so that cannot be individually identified. But the most damaging thing for the game was the lack of vote reveals, the mods them selves are saying that derry's lack of a first vote might have been tatical but if so how because there was no vote reveal and therefore no way of knowing who he did or did not vote for. The whole point of werewolf is that the nrv's are annonomous and that the wolves must vote with discretion to avoid later repercussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

With the greatest of respect, if people had actually read and followed the rules, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I don't really want to get into what was wrong with the game from each individuals perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think we should at least be civil here..... We will probably be all playing again at some stage in the future.

Maybe we should look at a common set of rules that are standard for each game, that never change. Each new game is built around that, but can add extra game rules for that part version, but do not override the common rules. Example rule 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'm all for civility Vale, and my post in the other thread was pretty darn civil but it is really, really frustrating to have people break a game by breaking rules and then pretty much say "Hey, it's your fault mods, because the game was breakable if we broke the rules."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I think we should at least be civil here..... We will probably be all playing again at some stage in the future.

Maybe we should look at a common set of rules that are standard for each game, that never change. Each new game is built around that, but can add extra game rules for that part version, but do not override the common rules.

A common rule has been, IIRC, do not discuss the content of PMs. When I had a question about me discussing the doll (in the context of my role as Pierce, and how I could potentially use it for my benefit), I sent a PM to the mods about it for clarification.

I could be wrong though about not posting PMs.

But I think that there's still going to be incidents of rule breaking. Regardless. Whether accidental or semi-intentionally. What needs to be discussed is the potential fallout of rule breaking; whether there will be sanctions. And if there are sanctions, what should they be that incentivise not rule breaking, without driving players away.

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    I'm all for civility Vale, and my post in the other thread was pretty darn civil but it is really, really frustrating to have people break a game by breaking rules and then pretty much say "Hey, it's your fault mods, because the game was breakable if we broke the rules."

Completely understand that. I hadn't realised game was broke until it was spelled out for me. But the mods do have a right to be pissed of all that hard work now gone. But people turning on each other is not a solution either. We are grown adults and can reach an agreement as such. I hope.

sullivlo wrote: »
    A common rule has been, IIRC, do not discuss the content of PMs. When I had a question about me discussing the doll (in the context of my role as Pierce, and how I could potentially use it for my benefit), I sent a PM to the mods about it for clarification.

I could be wrong though about not posting PMs.

But I think that there's still going to be incidents of rule breaking. Regardless. Whether accidental or semi-intentionally. What needs to be discussed is the potential fallout of rule breaking; whether there will be sanctions. And if there are sanctions, what should they be that incentivise not rule breaking, without driving players away.

I don't see what else you could have done other than PM the game mod for clarification. It was the right call.

We could create 'fallout rules' a series of consequences for infractions.

Example using the wrong account, (guilty) could result in that player muted for 24hours.

Failing to vote twice gets you lyched.

That kind of thing. We could create a sticky of set consequences and procedures if broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Maybe we should look at a common set of rules that are standard for each game, that never change. Each new game is built around that, but can add extra game rules for that part version, but do not override the common rules. Example rule 1-3.
    The rule that broke this game has been a common feature of all games.... Probably since the very beginning.

**** unfortunately happens sometimes and if you have knowledge of problem and know that it could kill the game (and this was pretty obvious game breaking stuff) you have a duty to inform the Mods to see if it can be fixed.

To give an example, in the last game I was accidentally given permissions to all the backrooms. As soon as I saw this I pmed the Mods and logged out until the Mods fixed it. It happened a second time. Again I pmed the mods and it was eventually resolved.

I could easily have rifled through the rooms and said nothing and took it as the Mods messed up, not me. But what is the point? Are we here to play and have fun or are we here to win at all costs.

I appreciate that my example is a slightly different scenario to what happened in this game but the principle in my eyes is if you see an issue that is easily discerned as being fatal to a fair game then you inform the Mods offline and allow them to decide how manage the situation.

Uriel. wrote: »
    The rule that broke this game has been a common feature of all games.... Probably since the very beginning.

**** unfortunately happens sometimes and if you have knowledge of problem and know that it could kill the game (and this was pretty obvious game breaking stuff) you have a duty to inform the Mods to see if it can be fixed.

To give an example, in the last game I was accidentally given permissions to all the backrooms. As soon as I saw this I pmed the Mods and logged out until the Mods fixed it. It happened a second time. Again I pmed the mods and it was eventually resolved.

I could easily have rifled through the rooms and said nothing and took it as the Mods messed up, not me. But what is the point? Are we here to play and have fun or are we here to win at all costs.

I appreciate that my example is a slightly different scenario to what happened in this game but the principle in my eyes is if you see an issue that is easily discerned as being fatal to a fair game then you inform the Mods offline and allow them to decide how manage the situation.

We could create a 'time out clause'

If a player has an issue could they not post 'TIME OUT' which would pause the game and PM the mods to get a solution so we can go back killing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's the thought process behind banning the talk on the doll?

We didn't want Troy coming out D1 to ensure there was a reasonable chance Pierce could end up on the wolf team.

Why would we have bothered including Troy and Pierce otherwise?

After Jessica came out D1 last game to beat Kilgrave, we wanted to avoid a similar situation to allow eventualities to play out.

It was discouraged and no banned from the start because if the doll was still floating about around D3 or D4, that would have been a reasonable time for Troy to come out imo. Which is why I didn't want Lord pulled up for coming out, I felt that in the context of the game, it was a reasonable decision to make at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If a player has an issue could they not post 'TIME OUT' which would pause the game and PM the mods to get a solution so we can go back killing each other.

That's limited like. The mods asked today for people to stop posting and yet posts continued. When a couple of posts can break a game, if the time out isn't immediately adhered to the damage can be done before a solution can be found.

Sorry for your troubles on this one mods. Game was a good one. Pity about the issues that came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sorry vale don't want to be negative only. I think we can pull this together as a group, but we really all need to keep in mind why we play and let that guide how we play.

There is no money at stake. There's no medals. I'm here to have fun. So finding a game break or pointing it out if I did just doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, I notice I can't post on the game thread, so good to see my posting in the non anon accounts is now sorted 

Pter wrote: »
    Sorry vale don't want to be negative only. I think we can pull this together as a group, but we really all need to keep in mind why we play and let that guide how we play.

There is no money at stake. There's no medals. I'm here to have fun. So finding a game break or pointing it out if I did just doesn't make sense to me.

That being said, I notice I can't post on the game thread, so good to see my posting in the non anon accounts is now sorted 

Hey dude. No worries. I'm only throwing ideas out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

This exactly^^^^

I could see SK forum when I started and pointed it out to mods. I don't see the point in cheating. Must admit though I was tempted!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I think it falls under "don't be a dick" rule. Similarly in a previous game I noticed (as a boards mod) that some game posts had been deleted. The posts were about me and painting me as a wolf (which I was), but I felt that the spirit of the game should have been maintained so I sent a message to the mods for them to make the call out of fairness.

I think, IMO, if a player notices a discrepancy in the rules or potential game breaking activity that they should tell the mods and let them make the call. For example, had I picked up on the human thing I would have PM'd the mods to see if it was okay to discuss on thread, rather than skirt around the issue and try to bend the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Digi,

Your constant references to your role being there to cause mayhem spoke volumes to me. The rule was pretty crystal clear and you deliberately ignored that. As I quoted above, "nothing wrong with Troy saying hi" is clearly aiming for a loophole.

You purposely didn't vote, clear violation of a rule. The rule was there to keep people involved, as was the posting one. Voting has always been a bare minimum requirement for playing. We don't know if the other missed votes were deliberate, we know yours was. It was a strike, its not the sole reason you were stripped of your power, and is much smaller than the other reason.

It wasn't negotiable from my point of view anyways. Maybe we did go over the top, I'll hold my hands up and say we might have been too harsh, but I think it was the right decision at the time and I stand by it. I will apologize for how I phrased my message earlier, it wasn't meant to be "NRV or feck off", more than I understood where you were coming from and if you wanted to leave the game I wouldn't be holding it against you. So I am sorry for that, and the time you feel you have wasted, if you'll accept it.

Thank you for remaining in the game despite your annoyance, most wouldn't. While I said some **** in the backrooms, I had been drinking. I'm not annoyed with you at this stage, I have accepted that you weren't intentionally trying to ruin the game, but I still feel you were purposely shooting for loopholes and deserved to be pulled up.

As you've already said, there's no need to keep going round in circles, and I know we won't agree on this, but I hope the air can be cleared and the situation put behind us and moved on from.

And I do hope you aren't put off Werewolf/Mafia due to this, the last thing I want to do is put anyone off the game.

Guys, what brought us all together in the first place? Do you remember? It was a random post by jayop in AH "hey, who wants to play some weird game called werewolf?"

I didn't even play that game but I watched. It was confusing, you got to kill people, it made me laugh, I was shocked. IT WAS FUN! I was hooked.

Does any of that sound familiar? I think it does. Otherwise, there wouldn't be the change of plans setup, monthly games, our own forum here with special privileges no other members seem to have. We are invested in this game. Why? Because we're having fun.

Or that's what we should be doing.

I'm no good at coming up with a theme or modding and I'm a pretty crap player lol. I understand that a serious amount of commitment goes into planning and running a game. Look at the threads months before someone takes up the mod role and how excited they are about their game. I'm excited for them and my commitment, should I sign up, is to post as often as I can, play fair and have a laugh with my buddy's (then kill them).

I'm sorry I know I'm rambling.

The first anon game we played on CoP I noticed a glitch. A big glitch tbh. Few hours into the game and I had 2 wolves I was on team good. I double checked my suspicions and thought about it for another 10 or so minutes. This info could win the game for the village if I sit on it and try and get some doubts going on them. But I will have done f all sleuthing to find these 2 wolves. Nah, the guys have worked so hard setting all this up for me to not tell them. Looks like this will be a good game for everyone. I'll send em a message, pull out of the game for the sake of everyone.

And that's what I did. That's how invested I am in us and our game. I'm not in it to win it if winning isn't fun.

On phone, dunno what crap I've written above but it's from my heart to all of you, my weird werewolf buddy's. Remember why we came here. Remember fun x

Guys, what brought us all together in the first place? Do you remember? It was a random post by jayop in AH "hey, who wants to play some weird game called werewolf?"

I didn't even play that game but I watched. It was confusing, you got to kill people, it made me laugh, I was shocked. IT WAS FUN! I was hooked.

Does any of that sound familiar? I think it does. Otherwise, there wouldn't be the change of plans setup, monthly games, our own forum here with special privileges no other members seem to have. We are invested in this game. Why? Because we're having fun.

I'm no good at coming up with a theme or modding and I'm a pretty crap player lol. I understand that a serious amount of commitment goes into planning and running a game. Look at the threads months before someone takes up the mod role and how excited they are about their game. I'm excited for them and my commitment, should I sign up, is to post as often as I can, play fair and have a laugh with my buddy's (then kill them).

The first anon game we played on CoP I noticed a glitch. A big glitch tbh. Few hours into the game and I had 2 wolves I was on team good. I double checked my suspicions and thought about it for another 10 or so minutes. This info could win the game for the village if I sit on it and try and get some doubts going on them. But I will have done f all sleuthing to find these 2 wolves. Nah, the guys have worked so hard setting all this up for me to not tell them. Looks like this will be a good game for everyone. I'll send em a message, pull out of the game for the sake of everyone.

And that's what I did. That's how invested I am in us and our game. I'm not in it to win it if winning isn't fun.

On phone, dunno what crap I've written above but it's from my heart to all of you, my weird werewolf buddy's. Remember why we came here. Remember fun x

You're committed to the cause. Driving up to a club and asking bouncers about road traffic accidents... ;)

Digi,

I have nothing against you or the mods. I feel really sorry for you guys and wish I hadn't been a problem.

My problem is that I get too into this game and didn't stop to consider that I was spoiling the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

so emotional... it must be cause little strawberry.... :p:D

Advertisement