Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once Were Warriors...

Options
2»

Comments

Bobby1981 wrote: »
    I have never been to New Zealand Hunky Monster but I have loved all my life any oppressed peoples story. I read voraciously, and I am well read on my own Irish History, The Native Americans, The Aborigines, Black Slavery, The Maori's, The Jews.....any kind of suffering I read about...

The themes of alcohol, crime, violence against the family...it's a pattern you see reflected a lot here, and particularly so in the case of travellers who share a remarkable number of issues with Maoris, infant mortality, life expectancy, poorer take up in education, suicide, crime etc. Course in NZ the gap is not as big, but then again Maoris have had political representation since the 1860s. Here you're more likely to get the "well they are just genetically scum" from people who haven't even reached Victorian era levels of understanding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Bobby1981

aido79 wrote: »
    More of a workmate than a friend to be honest. I only knew him by his initials as that's what everyone called him. He only had a small part in the movie. He was one of the gang members in the gang the eldest son joined.

Still...I like that you replied to my post. Its a movie that means a lot to me, and to see folk reacting to it all these years later is nice for me. If you see your workmate again, tell him how someone somewhere still recalls his movie and that it means a lot to them. Thanks Aido:)

The themes of alcohol, crime, violence against the family...it's a pattern you see reflected a lot here, and particularly so in the case of travellers who share a remarkable number of issues with Maoris, infant mortality, life expectancy, poorer take up in education, suicide, crime etc. Course in NZ the gap is not as big, but then again Maoris have had political representation since the 1860s. Here you're more likely to get the "well they are just genetically scum" from people who haven't even reached Victorian era levels of understanding...

I dont want to stray off the topic of this post because I want it to stay on the film. What I will say is this....my nephew is a Traveller and so is my Brother in Law. When I was young, I ran all over the streets with them. My best friend for years was a Traveller. As a kid I never even realised we were different but then I did........What I will say is that is that everything some folk think about them is right....but then there is the other side...like there is nothing, absolutely nothing that I will not do for my own and just like in every kind, there is good and bad.

For example, my brother in law is caught between two worlds....when he goes he wants us to bury him because we love him and he is our family. His own family tolerated us, berated us yet lived with us. We will be the ones burying him even though his family will be welcome. We will come together. Yes we will.

I am going to bed. I will come back to my post again. Watch this movie if you hav'nt in a while. If you are about that life you will know..........and if you are not then you may have empathy for those of us who are....

We as Irish....Once Were warriors:-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yes Charlie. I watched both again tonight (hence my post)

What Becomes of The Broken Hearted wasn't as good as Once Were Warriors but if you loved Once Were Warriors then you were going to want to love the sequel just to see Jake again.

Sometimes I play just his parts of the movies on Youtube and the soundtrack songs. Whats's the time Mr Wolf, What's the time:)

He has a great voice yet when he played the Dad in Moana they used someone else's voice for his singing parts. What's up with that?

Garage is a film that means nothing to a lot of people and comes across as a whole lot of nothing. For me it brilliantly captures the hostile ennui and claustrophobic malaise of growing up in a country village an being a bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

This film came out in 1994. I watched it tonight again. This movie had a major impact on me back in the day. It was the first movie I bought the soundtrack to. It depicted so much of my life. I should hate Jake The Muss but as time has gone on, I don't hate him...I love him and feel for him in many ways. (an awful nice man in real life, but a fantastic actor in this film which is why it became a cult movie) This movie told some of my own life story. I feel so much of it deeply.

What movie would you say relates to who you are and what you witnessed when young and who you are now?

Betty Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Betty Blue

Aye... you wish.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

timthumbni wrote: »
    Aye... you wish.......

I fell for a stunner when I was younger, but she had a screw loose.. it lasted a year, and her memory still haunts me... we are still in touch 20 years later

Garage is a film that means nothing to a lot of people and comes across as a whole lot of nothing. For me it brilliantly captures the hostile ennui and claustrophobic malaise of growing up in a country village an being a bit different.

I thought Pure Mule captured the ennui of life in a rural town pretty well, one of RTE's best efforts. Young fellows working in building, just existing to go out, the odd fight, family issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Cook the man some fcukin eggs!

Cook them your f*ckin self!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

What movie would you say relates to who you are and what you witnessed when young and who you are now?

Batman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I'd say Magnolia had. Film deals alot with chance and coincidence but also shows the self destructive side of people and how we're our own worst enemies.

Rocky - reminds me of the time i was going out with Adrian......

I fell for a stunner when I was younger, but she had a screw loose.. it lasted a year, and her memory still haunts me... we are still in touch 20 years later

Well at least she didn't meet the same fate as Betty. The ending to that movie was a right downer....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This film came out in 1994. I watched it tonight again. This movie had a major impact on me back in the day. It was the first movie I bought the soundtrack to. It depicted so much of my life. I should hate Jake The Muss but as time has gone on, I don't hate him...I love him and feel for him in many ways. (an awful nice man in real life, but a fantastic actor in this film which is why it became a cult movie) This movie told some of my own life story. I feel so much of it deeply.

Great film , OP.I'm pushing fifty and it's one of those films I'd never forget.

On a lighter note Ferris Buellers day off always make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I love Once Were Warriors. As a kiwi I'm very proud of it and think it has stood the test of time.

My kiwi mates and I used to joke about when we first started dating an Irish girl, we'd show the Whale Rider as an example of kiwi cinema because it was such a nice beautiful story. After we'd been with the girl for a while, we'd show them OWW so they would understand their place in the relationship :D

As for a film that resonated with me when I first saw it, I'd have to say Dazed and Confused. It came out during my last couple of years of high school and it just made sense. I could relate to the characters and what they were doing. And I loved the music and the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I love Once Were Warriors. As a kiwi I'm very proud of it and think it has stood the test of time.

My kiwi mates and I used to joke about when we first started dating an Irish girl, we'd show the Whale Rider as an example of kiwi cinema because it was such a nice beautiful story. After we'd been with the girl for a while, we'd show them OWW so they would understand their place in the relationship :D

As for a film that resonated with me when I first saw it, I'd have to say Dazed and Confused. It came out during my last couple of years of high school and it just made sense. I could relate to the characters and what they were doing. And I loved the music and the cars.

Same. I was in my last couple of years in Secondary School when it came out. The music resonated quite a bit with what was going on in the Grunge scene at the time. Clothes at the time were a little bit of a throw back as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

Never heard of this film, think I'll give it a watch cheers op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Great movie. I only watched it again myself last month and it has lost nothing in the 20 odd years since I first saw it.

My favourite antipodean movie along with Romper Stomper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

What Becomes of the Brokenhearted (Once were Warriors 2) was not as good but still, it had Jake so I like it.

Fun Fact - the actors who played the two brothers in it (they lifted Jakes car to replace the flat tire at the start and Jake went hunting with them) in real life were police officers. One of them went on to become one of the top detectives in NZ police force and worked all the big murder trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The scene where his daughter hung herself was tough to watch. The uncle then just carrying on as normal being Jake's drinking buddy is unsettling. In real life that probably happens far too often without the abuser ever getting his comeuppance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Tell Jake you love him.
    That's the problem, Jake. I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The gangs of New York:

Like the competing firemen, fine Gael and Fianna fail would rather keep fighting each other rather than dealing with sh|t like brexit.

plus ca change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

If anyone is interested in another New Zealand film (apart from Whale Rider), lookout for Hunt for the Wilder people. Excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ipso wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in another New Zealand film (apart from Whale Rider), lookout for Hunt for the Wilder people. Excellent film.

Tracker is a good movie too. Temuera Morrison and Ray Winstone are in it. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MichaelGaughan

Yeah_Right wrote: »

I am the person who started this post, Bobby1981. I closed my account after posting it ( and not for the first time) I suffer from Social Anxiety and so I write better than I speak. I keep stuff inside. I read this site everyday and sometimes let it all out in a burst here only to leave after feeling shamed. I don't know why I do that as I don't write anything I don't feel deeply. I left after making this post as I felt I revealed too much.

However, I came back to read the replies. Mam of 4 had written me privately based on my post. I like her a lot based on her posts so I felt bad just disappearing. Sorry Mam of 4. I am going to stay this time:-)

But Yeah Right...as a Kiwi replying to my post, I really wanted to respond to you. I love this movie and you should be proud of it. I cannot even count how many times I have watched it. I still play the Soundtrack. Jake The Muss is iconic. It is one of them movies that has really stood the test of time. Thank you for replying to my post

Advertisement