Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once Were Warriors...

Options
  • 30-07-2017 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

This film came out in 1994. I watched it tonight again. This movie had a major impact on me back in the day. It was the first movie I bought the soundtrack to. It depicted so much of my life. I should hate Jake The Muss but as time has gone on, I don't hate him...I love him and feel for him in many ways. (an awful nice man in real life, but a fantastic actor in this film which is why it became a cult movie) This movie told some of my own life story. I feel so much of it deeply.

What movie would you say relates to who you are and what you witnessed when young and who you are now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Shrek 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Bobby1981 wrote: »
    This movie came out in 1994. I watched it tonight again. This movie had a major impact on me back in the day. It was the first movie I bought the soundtrack to. It depicted so much of my life. I should hate Jake The Muss but as time has gone on, I don't hate him...I love him and feel for him in many ways. This movie told some of my own life story.

What movie would you say relates to who you are and where you came from?

How the hell did it tell your own life story?

Loved the movie, but if it in any way depicted your life, contact the cops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

This film came out in 1994. I watched it tonight again. This movie had a major impact on me back in the day. It was the first movie I bought the soundtrack to. It depicted so much of my life. I should hate Jake The Muss but as time has gone on, I don't hate him...I love him and feel for him in many ways. (an awful nice man in real life, but a fantastic actor in this film which is why it became a cult movie) This movie told some of my own life story. I feel so much of it deeply.

What movie would you say relates to who you are and what you witnessed when young and who you are now?

One of my top 3 of all time. Fantastic film.

Good Will Hunting........ I'm the stupid friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Bobby1981

deco nate wrote: »
    How the hell did it tell your own life story?

Loved the movie, but if it in any way depicted your life, contact the cops!

I don't know how old you are Deco but I am 50. In my lifetime the cops have been part of it, but life is not ever Black and White. Often you can love and hate someone at the same time and still try to keep it in the family.

This movie did depict my life. I never knew for many years how abnormal it was. I do now....but it still is that way and shameful in many ways. It is what it is and I can't change other people. I can still love them though.

But anyway....is there a movie that reminds you of your life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Cook the man some fcukin eggs!

80s Child wrote: »

One of my top three too . It's a great film. I often play the songs from it. Jake the Muss is iconic. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted (Once were Warriors 2) was not as good but still, it had Jake so I like it.

Good Will Hunting....I liked the stupid friend. That was me too:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Good will hunting.

I'm not a genius but feel I was a troubled child (not all my own doing) who found a way out of my misery... I needed support and eventually found it...

I always wanted an "it's not your fault will" moment and did have a therapist sort of suggest it which took so much pressure off my shoulders...

I did not click on the link Lionel but is this anything to do with my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

80s Child wrote: »

One of my top three too . It's a great film. I often play the songs from it. Jake the Muss is iconic. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted (Once were Warriors 2) was not as good but still, it had Jake so I like it.

Good Will Hunting....I liked the stupid friend. That was me too:-)

Oh snap, I didn't read those posts before I posted!!!

Great movie!

• Advertisement

I did not click on the link Lionel but is this anything to do with my post?

It's the movie that represents my life. (OK, not really). (If you're nervous about clicking unknown links you can hover first to see what they are.)

Drumpot wrote: »
    Good will hunting.

I'm not a genius but feel I was a troubled child (not all my own doing) who found a way out of my misery... I needed support and eventually found it...

I always wanted an "it's not your fault will" moment and did have a therapist sort of suggest it which took so much pressure off my shoulders...

I really like your post Drumpot. I was the troubled child too. I was 'Grace' in Once Were Warriors. I never found the support though. I went through many many dark years and I still walk in the midnight sometimes but I know now I was a victim of circumstance so the that particular pressure is off my shoulders. However, I still live part of Once Were Warriors and now we live in a different time and what was accepted then is not now so we still have to keep stuff to ourselves.

I like your reply.

It's the movie that represents my life. (OK, not really). (If you're nervous about clicking unknown links you can hover first to see what they are.)

I won't hover over it but I will Thank you for replying to my post either way. This movie did really represent some of my life. It is quite difficult really as it's not something I can talk about to most people as they have no idea. some of it is still relevant and a new generation of my family know it...some have turned their back completely, I cannot, and my niece and one nephew follows my heart and cannot either....so they live one life publically and keep another privately like me.

Have you watched Once Were Warriors?

I won't hover over it but I will Thank you for replying to my post either way. This movie did really represent some of my life. It is quite difficult really as it's not something I can talk about to most people as they have no idea. some of it is still relevant and a new generation of my family know it...some have turned their back completely, I cannot, and my niece and one nephew follows my heart and cannot either....so they live one life publically and keep another privately like me.

Have you watched Once Were Warriors?

So long ago, that I just about remember it was about Maori, and alcoholism.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,888 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

An excellent film , haven't watched it in years though .
    Sad , violent , poignant , it actually makes more sense now , as an adult I think , than it did when I first watched it .
    We are all influenced by our environment , from what we see happening around us growing up , learned behaviour at times .

Some people escape from it , some don't .
    Powerful film.

So long ago, that I just about remember it was about Maori, and alcoholism.

Yes it was...and also deeper issues. You should watch it again Lionel. It is a really good movie to be fair. It became iconic that film for good reason....many people could see their own within it. It became a cult movie because many could relate to the story and also the actors especially Jake and his wife were just so brilliant in it. It was powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Wasn't there a sequel to it. I think it's What becomes of the broken hearted.

I must watch them again.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    An excellent film , haven't watched it in years though .
    Sad , violent , poignant , it actually makes more sense now , as an adult I think , than it did when I first watched it .
    We are all influenced by our environment , from what we see happening around us growing up , learned behaviour at times .

Some people escape from it , some don't .
    Powerful film.

Mam of 4. I have to say I really like you. I don't post all the time but I do read this forum everyday, and I see you, like me...read many different forums and I see you 'liking' certain posts all the time. You go all over this site like me. It is the first time you have replied to one of my posts and I am glad you did:)

You are so right..we are all influenced by our environment and are often a product of it. I am a product of mine. In spite of it all, I am a very decent human being. I have a deep love and empathy for any kind of suffering...I myself have this thing where I cannot walk by any alcoholic. For all the suffering they have caused me, I know most of them as decent people but very damaged and who can do terrible things in drink so I have loved and hated them at the same time.

It really was a great film. Jake is a very polarising character...he feels deeply yet only knows how to express his pain violently. Fantastic actor.

I am really pleased Mam of 4 to see you respond to one of my posts as I see you round a lot. Thankyou:)

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a sequel to it. I think it's What becomes of the broken hearted.

I must watch them again.

Yes Charlie. I watched both again tonight (hence my post)

What Becomes of The Broken Hearted wasn't as good as Once Were Warriors but if you loved Once Were Warriors then you were going to want to love the sequel just to see Jake again.

Sometimes I play just his parts of the movies on Youtube and the soundtrack songs. Whats's the time Mr Wolf, What's the time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's a great movie. Lived in NZ for a while and they're the ****ing best!

• Advertisement

Thank you Bobby91 , am embarrassed here as there's no need to thank me for posting on your thread tbh!
    It is a film that will resonate with so many people , and each will relate to it in a different way and take from it what touches them on a deeper level . I think anyway.
    The sequel is good , but hasn't got the same impact , or kick in the guts , that OWW has .

Thanks for making me remember the film , excellent choice :)

It's a great movie. Lived in NZ for a while and they're the ****ing best!

I have never been to New Zealand Hunky Monster but I have loved all my life any oppressed peoples story. I read voraciously, and I am well read on my own Irish History, The Native Americans, The Aborigines, Black Slavery, The Maori's, The Jews.....any kind of suffering I read about. I had a good friend from Galway who is dead now, who lived in New Zealand for many years among the Maori's. I fried his brain talking about it, but he loved telling me as much as I loved hearing about his experiences.

I was born in Ireland but spent many years in a place that was absolutely notorious. They talk about slums in Ireland but this place was something absolutely different. This was multicultural LONG before it was even a byword in Ireland. Even now in multicultural Ireland, all the blacks here are African. Where I come from....we are Irish and Caribbean. Its just so different. Not that it is better but just different. And if you have not been there, done it or lived it then you will have no idea what I am on about:cool:

Thank you Bobby91 , am embarrassed here as there's no need to thank me for posting on your thread tbh!
    It is a film that will resonate with so many people , and each will relate to it in a different way and take from it what touches them on a deeper level . I think anyway.
    The sequel is good , but hasn't got the same impact , or kick in the guts , that OWW has .

Thanks for making me remember the film , excellent choice :)

You are right Mam...the sequel didnt have the same impact, but we watched it anyway just to see Jake. Maybe we wanted to see him redeem himself....

I loved the first movie so much. I showed it to one of my nieces and nephews so that they would understand me.....But they knew already because they keep my Mams secrets. .They remember the good now she is old and let go of the bad like me. Take from that what you will.

I do like you though. I read every day but dont post and I see you all around the place on certain posts. You speak up on posts that reach you as a 'Mam of 4' and I like that:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Great film. In Australia they say "Once were warriors now they're scaffolders" because there's so many kiwi scaffolders.
    I worked with a guy that was in the film and now he's a scaffolder:)

You are right Mam...the sequel didnt have the same impact, but we watched it anyway just to see Jake. Maybe we wanted to see him redeem himself....

I loved the first movie so much. I showed it to one of my nieces and nephews so that they would understand me.....But they knew already because they keep my Mams secrets. .They remember the good now she is old and let go of the bad like me. Take from that what you will.

I do like you though. I read every day but dont post and I see you all around the place on certain posts. You speak up on posts that reach you as a 'Mam of 4' and I like that:)

I think we let go of the bad and try to remember the good , because if we don't , it eats us up inside and it becomes an unending cycle of bitterness or sadness or hatred , instead of it being a lesson in how Not to be .

Like in the film :)

aido79 wrote: »
    Great film. In Australia they say "Once were warriors now they're scaffolders" because there's so many kiwi scaffolders.
    I worked with a guy that was in the film and now he's a scaffolder:)

Thanks so much for your reply Aido......what part did your friend play in the film? Any recollections I would love as this movie means a lot to me. It really is a great film even all these years later.

I think we let go of the bad and try to remember the good , because if we don't , it eats us up inside and it becomes an unending cycle of bitterness or sadness or hatred , instead of it being a lesson in how Not to be .

Like in the film :)

Indeed Mam;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A fantastic movie OP, my favourite of all time. A lot of people can't get past the brutal domestic violence and so initially write it off but it's a superb movie- Jake is such a tragic figure.

I'm not sure what movie would reflect my life. It's had its ups and downs but for the most part I've had little to complain about... which I'm greatful for.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Thanks so much for your reply Aido......what part did your friend play in the film? Any recollections I would love as this movie means a lot to me. It really is a great film even all these years later.

More of a workmate than a friend to be honest. I only knew him by his initials as that's what everyone called him. He only had a small part in the movie. He was one of the gang members in the gang the eldest son joined.

• Advertisement

A fantastic movie OP, my favourite of all time. A lot of people can't get past the brutal domestic violence and so initially write it off but it's a superb movie- Jake is such a tragic figure.

I'm not sure what movie would reflect my life. It's had its ups and downs but for the most part I've had little to complain about... which I'm greatful for.

I really am grateful for your post Kintaro. I should hate Jake but as I said I just can't. He is absolutely iconic and if it wasnt for him..we wouldnt even remember this movie the way we do. The domestic violence part.....I could write a book on but not here as people would crucify me. Its a case of unless you have walked in my shoes.............for example, like I said, I should hate Jake and I did for many years..but as you get older and wiser and learn anothers story.....you just realise life is just not black or white...you can love someone yet hate everything they stand for.............it is just so hard and complicated.

Thank you so much for your post. I feared posting this that no one would know what I was on about:)

Advertisement