Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets??

Options
  • 29-07-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Obviously a crucial piece of kit, will be purchasing my first one soon, but confused as to which one to get. the prices vary so much. Cheaper options obviously appeal more, but is skimping on cost = skimping on safety?

If you were buying a new helmet, what would you be looking at?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Start by finding which helmet brands fit you best and work from there.

You can check out their safety ratings on the SHARP website . Not a perfect test, but gives you an idea at least.
    https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

More expensive helmets tend to be lighter, more comfortable and have extra features.

You can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers like Shoei, Arai, AGV, Shark, HJC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pugzilla wrote:
    Start by finding which helmet brands fit you best and work from there.

This, fit is by far the most important thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There's no replacement for a good fitting helmet. Go to some of the bike stores, and try on different helmets. Different brands suit different head shapes. You want a tight fit but not too tight. Most stores are helpful making sure you get the right fit.

Don't think about the cost initially, think more about what goes inside it - you only have one brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Any decent shop will fit you when buying a lid, for me the best bang for buck starting out are Shark lids. Very good price and performance and most of the lids look very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Any decent shop will fit you when buying a lid, for me the best bang for buck starting out are Shark lids. Very good price and performance and most of the lids look very well.

It depends on the persons head. I've a Shark and it puts loads of pressure on my forehead, I did some searching and a lot of other people where making the same complaints. I'd an Arai before and never had an issue with that.

So try on plenty of lids and when you get one that's comfortable leave it on for >20 min and see how it feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

As already mentioned fit is most important.

I have an integrated sun visor in my helmet. I wasn't looking for one, but it was in the helmet that fitted me. I'm really glad it's there. Saying that, if you're planning track days - you can't use a helmet with an internal sun visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I usually budget about €220-€250 for one. Some spend €1k, some spend €80.

Get one that fits well and is comfortable. I look for a flip up, internal visor, removable lining so I can wash. Pin lock is handy if you drive in rain, means its almost impossible for it to fog up

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cian_ok wrote: »
    Saying that, if you're planning track days - you can't use a helmet with an internal sun visor.

My Shoei GT-Air has an ACU gold star, so that's incorrect.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Re: having ask internal sun visor stops you doing track days.
    My Shoei GT-Air has an ACU gold star, so that's incorrect.

I stand corrected. I was mis-informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cian_ok wrote: »
    I stand corrected. I was mis-informed.

This is a forum, conduct yourself appropriately and dispute this to the bitter end or I'll report you to the mods!

• Advertisement

Have had a Shoei GT-Air for 4 years, great helmet. Extremely comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pugzilla wrote: »

You're wrong, they're awful!

(just because) :p

Bought it in January and (I've been wearing Shoeis exclusively since 1997) it's the best lid I've ever owned. But if you don't have a Shoei-shaped head that's no consolation to you (I've tried both shapes of Arais and they just don't fit me.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

Have had 2 Shoei XR1000's, cannot fault them,

Headed to this forum to ask a helmet question so I hope you don't mind Me hijacking your thread, OP.

Was thinking of buying my husband a new helmet for his birthday. Know the size of his current Arai as was looking for upgrade suggestions. But now I've read this thread, I get the impression he should be trying it on 1st but I'd like to surprise him if possible.

I've previously bought him a jacket and one Christmas I bought him everything for a full service (wasn't cheap) and he's just got a second bike so thought a helmet would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Headed to this forum to ask a helmet question so I hope you don't mind Me hijacking your thread, OP.

Was thinking of buying my husband a new helmet for his birthday. Know the size of his current Arai as was looking for upgrade suggestions. But now I've read this thread, I get the impression he should be trying it on 1st but I'd like to surprise him if possible.

I've previously bought him a jacket and one Christmas I bought him everything for a full service (wasn't cheap) and he's just got a second bike so thought a helmet would be a good idea.

It's possible it could fit knowing the size but Arai if fitted please properly could have different sized pads to one off the shelf as some dealers will provide this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

Helmets are a personal choice but if you know the Arai size then get a new version in that size in Arai provided he has no current issues with his Arai.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Pugzilla wrote: »

You're wrong, they're awful!

(just because) :p

Bought it in January and (I've been wearing Shoeis exclusively since 1997) it's the best lid I've ever owned. But if you don't have a Shoei-shaped head that's no consolation to you (I've tried both shapes of Arais and they just don't fit me.)

^^^^ this.
    I can't get into an Arai or Shoei at all, but can an AGV, Schuberth or Shark (currently on Shark #2). But the best fitting one ive ever had,and most comfortable I've ever had was also the cheapest....a Nitro. ACU Gold Star rated too. €125 locally.
    Fit is everything.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks for the replys. I might just surprise him by taking him to the shop and then tell him to pick whatever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the replys. I might just surprise him by taking him to the shop and then tell him to pick whatever he wants.

What about a gift voucher for the shop in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What about a gift voucher for the shop in question?

Cash is the best gift voucher, never expires and not restricted to a single shop :D

• Advertisement

I see what yis are doing. No no no no no!

Not a hope am I giving him the cash lol. He'll come back with a "project" that will keep him in the garage for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I see what yis are doing. No no no no no!

Not a hope am I giving him the cash lol. He'll come back with a "project" that will keep him in the garage for the winter.

Doesn't that suit you both?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Fit is the most important thing.
    After that weight (lighter the better especially if youre doing touring/motorway driving where wind really plays into it).
    For me then it needs to be quiet, followed by having an internal sunvisor.
    After that I'd be looking at good internal padding, preferably a double d-ring fastner, and able to accomodate my interphone bluetooth comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

terrydel wrote: »
    Fit is the most important thing.
    After that weight (lighter the better especially if youre doing touring/motorway driving where wind really plays into it).
    For me then it needs to be quiet, followed by having an internal sunvisor.
    After that I'd be looking at good internal padding, preferably a double d-ring fastner, and able to accomodate my interphone bluetooth comms.

does anyone wear specs? how does that factor in for the auld helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You have to get a proscription visor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

You have to get a proscription visor

sounds expensive

TheShow wrote: »

Nerds aren't allowed on motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TheShow wrote: »

I never had a problem. But if I'm touring I wear contacts. Long periods wearing glasses for a few days in a row isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

TheShow wrote:

Never had a problem, once the fit is right, tight enough to hold glasses in place, loose enough so they're not pinching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wear shades daily on the bike my shoei has no internal sun visor so have them on all the time with the visor up as I like the air.

No problems whatsoever so glasses would be no different

Advertisement