Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike question different from others

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Using the word practical to describe a 1000cc sports bike was a big give away now that I read it back.

leave off, Im trying to convince the missus I need a new bike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

neildyr wrote: »
    Yeah. I was on an FZ6 S2 (Fantastic starter bike) For 3 years after receiving a full licence and then got a CBR1000. I absolutely Love it, however, it is way more power than I will ever need. I had the means to get what Iv always wanted but not with out proper consideration, usage criteria and waiting years to gain experience. After all that my insurance for 29 yr old,3 yrs NCB on the FZ6 and full licence for 3 yrs was a ridiculous 1000 Euro!! I managed to get it down to 800 Fully comp after mates rates from Liberty, Was paying 360 on the Yamaha. That was my experience over the past couple years. Might shed a bit more light on what you're trying to achieve. As Goos said. It's just ridiculously fast, Words can't describe. ha. Im glad I started on an upright bike first. All these seemingly pervasive rules and measure are to protect not only you on your bike but other road users also. Good luck with your riding.

What do you mean fast? You are the one that controls the throttle. If you don't want to go fast then don't use so much throttle.

All the bikes I see at my work are powerful 1000cc or 600cc. I doubt they would even consider me a real biker with my two digit hp rating if I parked beside them. Maybe 1 out of 10 bikes is a scooter or a harley, the rest of them are 600 or 1000cc sports bikes. I don't care about the insurance price, I just care about the girlz and want to look cool when I get off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Abu94 wrote: »
    What do you mean fast? You are the one that controls the throttle. If you don't want to go fast then don't use so much throttle.

Spoken like a person who has never ridden a 1000cc motorcycle.
    Its addictive and will get you into trouble that you won't have the skillset needed to control.
    I asked before what is your previous bike experience?
    You sir are either a (poor) troll or an idiot. In either case I recommend that you buy a Gixer of whatever flavour you want and ride it like you stole it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Spoken like a person who has never ridden a 1000cc motorcycle.
    Its addictive and will get you into trouble that you won't have the skillset needed to control.
    I asked before what is your previous bike experience?

Then you need to control your addictions, not my fault that you have no self control. I have ridden a gsxr 600 and it goes as fast as you want it, you are the one in control. What you are telling me is that you can't control the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Then you need to control your addictions, not my fault that you have no self control. I have ridden a gsxr 600 and it goes as fast as you want it, you are the one in control. What you are telling me is that you can't control the bike.

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

All the bikes I see at my work are powerful 1000cc or 600cc. I doubt they would even consider me a real biker with my two digit hp rating if I parked beside them. Maybe 1 out of 10 bikes is a scooter or a harley, the rest of them are 600 or 1000cc sports bikes. I don't care about the insurance price, I just care about the girlz and want to look cool when I get off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Gotta walk before you can run..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I doubt they would even consider me a real biker

I think we can all agree with them on that, no matter the bike you buy :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Most people cant tell the difference between a Ninja 250 and a H2. Anything with a fairing looks fast to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I just care about the girlz and want to look cool when I get off the bike.

The only thing motorbikes attract is other men.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The only thing motorbikes attract is other men.

Not true.
    I had a lovely french female biker come up to me at the petrol station in Lismore on Saturday.
    She was hot and very friendly and she broke the ice by asking about my bike.
    I could sense she was falling for me big time but had to leave her down gently as I hadn't time for any shenanigans.
    It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there were 8 or 9 male bikers with her! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

You've clearly never ridden one , you don't control the throttle . You pull a 1 litre bike throttle 1 cm and it's going faster than the speed limit.

I don't see a point in them on the road but obviously people do. They are however machines that a learner should stay the **** away from point blank and that's you mate.

You say you've ridden a gsxr 600, that's what I have and they are a different beast to a 1000cc, they will do 150mph but are more controllable compared to a litre bike gauging speed. Although arguably easier to drive for an experienced rider.a learner will kill themselves on a litre bike pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Cleary the OP needs a Harley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I have ridden a gsxr 600 and it goes as fast as you want it...

Was it turbo charged though?!

Goose81 wrote: »
    You've clearly never ridden one , you don't control the throttle . You pull a 1 litre bike throttle 1 cm and it's going faster than the speed limit.

I don't see a point in them on the road but obviously people do. They are however machines that a learner should stay the **** away from point blank and that's you mate.

You say you've ridden a gsxr 600, that's what I have and they are a different beast to a 1000cc, they will do 150mph but are more controllable compared to a litre bike gauging speed. Although arguably easier to drive for an experienced rider.a learner will kill themselves on a litre bike pretty quick.

They will do 150 mph and they will also do 1 mph.

Harleys don't look cool and girls will think that I am some old fart in mid life crisis. Something like an Yamaha R1 or Suzuki GSXR-1000 is a different story, girls would be begging for impalement and men would respect me. Who do you think has a bigger chance of attracting the ladies? Some chav in civic or me on a fast motorbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They will do 150mphand they will also do 1 mph.

And there's your problem.
    Are you seriously saying an insurance claim should trust a novice not to do that speed just because you say you won't.
    If they did they should be shut down straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who do you think has a bigger chance of attracting the ladies? Some chav in civic or me on a fast motorbike?

The civic.

Every time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Harleys don't look cool and girls will think that I am some old fart in mid life crisis.

Yeah but you get to dress up like a road pirate and chicks dig pirates (i.e. captain jack sparrow)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

My first bike was a Yamaha YZF125 dirt bike when I lived out in the country in the States as a youth of 11 years old. I learned more about handling on that bike than all others combined since. I spent nearly as much time offed that bike as on it.

Get an easy to manage bike. Work on mastering it and the road, then move on up from there.

I have been down on the tarmac a few times - I do not suggest it.

Advertisement