Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike question different from others

Options
  • 29-07-2017 12:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭

I did the mandatory IBT training for a full unrestricted licence and got the permit a few months ago. I am currently trying to decide on the bike. I have read the older threads and found the most common recommendations however I believe I would be losing money and and be bored of the power very quickly with something like the sv650 or the er6. I have been looking at the Suzuki GSXR 1000 as it is cheap, reliable and practical and most importantly it has power modes. I have been doing quite some research and have found that putting the gsxr in the lowest power mode makes it the same as sv650. So why should I buy an sv then go through the hassle of having to sell it if I could just get the gsxr and put it into the lowest power mode while I learn and then progressively increasing the power modes? Btw I an 6ft and 25 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

Abu94 wrote: »
    I did the mandatory IBT training for a full unrestricted licence and got the permit a few months ago. I am currently trying to decide on the bike. I have read the older threads and found the most common recommendations however I believe I would be losing money and and be bored of the power very quickly with something like the sv650 or the er6. I have been looking at the Suzuki GSXR 1000 as it is cheap, reliable and practical and most importantly it has power modes. I have been doing quite some research and have found that putting the gsxr in the lowest power mode makes it the same as sv650. So why should I buy an sv then go through the hassle of having to sell it if I could just get the gsxr and put it into the lowest power mode while I learn and then progressively increasing the power modes? Btw I an 6ft and 25 years old.

You wont get insured on anything more than a weak powered bandit etc or 650 twin on a provisional, so forget a 1000cc sportsbike until you pass the test.

What you will get insured on on a provisional

Sv 650
    Bandit 600
    Hornet 600 etc

You would be retarded to buy a 1000 sportsbike regardless of power mode as your first bike, you wont get insured on one anyway so point is moot. Also only the newest sports bikes have power modes so if you wanted a power mode enabled bike your talking 15k + 2014+ bike most likely, i havent searched but its only going to be newish bikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

Goose81 wrote: »
    You wont get insured on anything more than a weak powered bandit etc or 650 twin on a provisional, so forget a 1000cc sportsbike until you pass the test.

What you will get insured on on a provisional

Sv 650
    Bandit 600
    Hornet 600 etc

You would be retarded to buy a 1000 sportsbike regardless of power mode as your first bike, you wont get insured on one anyway so point is moot. Also only the newest sports bikes have power modes so if you wanted a power mode enabled bike your talking 15k + 2014+ bike most likely, i havent searched but its only going to be newish bikes.

I don't mind waiting a few more months until I can do the test and get the full licence. Suzuki gsxr 1000 from 2007 has power modes and that's the bike I am looking for. I can also get one for around 5 grand. Here are the quotes from the most popular bike reviewers.

''For starters, a new engine management system enables the inline 4-cylinder powerplant to operate in three different modes. Default is "A" mode, which makes 100% of the power available at all times. Feeling like you don't want to attack every bend in the road like it's an apex at Willow Springs? Use the thumb-operated to toggle up or down to "B" mode, which offers tamer power delivery, but will provide all 160 horsepower (measured at the wheel) if the throttle is twisted to full blast. Riding in the rain, or simply feeling a little gunshy?

Switch to "C" mode, and the Gixxer becomes even more manageable, with even more sedate power delivery, and less overall thrust-- even under wide open throttle.

Though not quite as sharp-edged and robust as mode "A," mode "C" is surprisingly gutsy for everyday use, and provides more than enough power for passing, merging onto the freeway, and even showing off at the stoplight. Though some have likened mode "B" to the equivalent of a 750cc engine and mode "C" to turning the GSXR-1000 into a 600cc, "C" actually feels more powerful than a 600. "C" mode makes the Gixxer entirely capable for most road circumstances, with the added benefit of keeping you an extra step away from sliding the rear out during hard acceleration in turns, or maybe slightly reducing the fine of a big fat speeding ticket.''

And motorcyclenews

''The user-friendly nature of the Suzuki GSX-R1000 was always its best asset, and now thanks to a three way power switch you can choose how much power you need depending on the conditions.''

Honestly it seems like the best all around motorbike you can get. I don't know why should I go from a twin 650 to 600 and then to 1000 instead of going straight for 1000 and just using the power modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I've never ridden the gixxer but the 'c' mode , I'd imagine , it will still be a lot more powerful than an sv650 , at a guess , probably double the power . As was said , you won't get insurance .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What bike experience do you have?
    Bikes aren't just about power you have to be able to corner and handle the bike as well, no good having 200hp if all you are doing is blasting down the straight and then yanking the lever and wobbling around the corners.
    Learn to ride smoothly on a decent middleweight and then move up once you have learnt the appropropriate skills.
    Relying on rider aids and engine maps to control the bike is no substitute for good riding ability and bike control.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To be honest you can go too fast into a corner on a moped so I've never understood why people say learn on low power vehicles. Training is what makes a new rider safe and that involves more than the Initial Basic Training, clue is in the name.

But as others have said getting insurance on a superbike with only a permit or new licence will be impossible or phone number quotes. But there are plenty of other bikes that make good power and would be more suitable for a 6' than a superbike. Look at the super nakeds like the Z1000 or Speed Triple.

The only thing is that the vast majority of bikes over 400cc are well capable of delivering more performance than legal on the road. And with less powerful bikes it's easier to use all their power to make progress on the roads while keeping your licence relatively safe, on powerful bikes you will not be able to use the power on the road you need to do track days to get the benefit of the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You'll either not get insured or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't mind waiting a few more months until I can do the test and get the full licence. Suzuki gsxr 1000 from 2007 has power modes and that's the bike I am looking for. I can also get one for around 5 grand. Here are the quotes from the most popular bike reviewers.

''For starters, a new engine management system enables the inline 4-cylinder powerplant to operate in three different modes. Default is "A" mode, which makes 100% of the power available at all times. Feeling like you don't want to attack every bend in the road like it's an apex at Willow Springs? Use the thumb-operated to toggle up or down to "B" mode, which offers tamer power delivery, but will provide all 160 horsepower (measured at the wheel) if the throttle is twisted to full blast. Riding in the rain, or simply feeling a little gunshy?

Switch to "C" mode, and the Gixxer becomes even more manageable, with even more sedate power delivery, and less overall thrust-- even under wide open throttle.

Though not quite as sharp-edged and robust as mode "A," mode "C" is surprisingly gutsy for everyday use, and provides more than enough power for passing, merging onto the freeway, and even showing off at the stoplight. Though some have likened mode "B" to the equivalent of a 750cc engine and mode "C" to turning the GSXR-1000 into a 600cc, "C" actually feels more powerful than a 600. "C" mode makes the Gixxer entirely capable for most road circumstances, with the added benefit of keeping you an extra step away from sliding the rear out during hard acceleration in turns, or maybe slightly reducing the fine of a big fat speeding ticket.''

And motorcyclenews

''The user-friendly nature of the Suzuki GSX-R1000 was always its best asset, and now thanks to a three way power switch you can choose how much power you need depending on the conditions.''

Honestly it seems like the best all around motorbike you can get. I don't know why should I go from a twin 650 to 600 and then to 1000 instead of going straight for 1000 and just using the power modes.

Keep in mind that these are reviewers, who often take for granted just how long they've been driving.

Honestly, the amount you'll pay in insurance, if you can even get it will be absolutely monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

wind up

Now that's a sensible solution!
    Screenshot_20170729-173625_01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Deffo wind up,

But the reason why they say start out on a smaller bike is that a vstrom 650 is a hell of alot more forgiving then a Gixxer 1000 if you do get it wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

blade1 wrote: »
    Now that's a sensible solution!
    Screenshot_20170729-173625_01.png

I had that as a kid! :D

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Deffo wind up,

But the reason why they say start out on a smaller bike is that a vstrom 650 is a hell of alot more forgiving then a Gixxer 1000 if you do get it wrong!

That's why the gixer has power modes.

How many years of no claims bonus do I need before I can get insured on that bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

That's why the gixer has power modes.

sure get one so and let us know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

How many years of no claims bonus do I need before I can get insured on that bike?

Serious answer? Most likely you'll need your full license and to be paying through your hoop for 2 or 3 years. Think 1500-2000 at least. You're talking about buying one of the most powerful bikes on the market, and the power modes don't mean **** to an insurer.

cadete wrote: »
    sure get one so and let us know how it goes :)

No point if I can't get insured

Oh well I guess I will have to look at other options. Basically it's the insurance companies that are dictating your choice of bike and not the licence category like I thought. Would I able to get insured on something like an R6 then or is it still too powerful. I have checked some reviews and it looks like it has traction control and abs which obviously make the bike safer. It's not like someone else is making you go fast, you are the one that is controlling the throttle, I can't change these insurance companies so I guess I'll just have to accept it. I doubt that explaining my reasoning to them would do much. I have seen something like the insurance assements which provide discounts but there is barely any information available about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Insurance assessment is worth doing on your learner, liberty grade 2 gets you down to full license loading with them (i.e. about 30% off).

You could plug in some fake details on liberty's online quote thing to give you a rough idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry mate but you havent found some new formula for experience in the saddle, doing the full test and waiting isn't some new thought out way to bypass actual experience.

A gsxr will kill any unexperienced rider a lot my readily than something more forgiving.

Tbh for a 25 year old first time rider I no way in hell would recommend buying a gsxr to break themselves into biking. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have your interests at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How many hours riding have you done since your IBT?

I have a modern 700 tuned for torque and the first 3 months or so immediately after my IBT it felt like an absolute death rocket.

Also, it's not so much that you can't ride a sportsbike around sensibly, but sportsbikes are designed to be at their best when pushing on, not bumbling along on a constant throttle at 4000rpm.

So you're proposing to buy a bike that just isn't that enjoyable being ridden the way that you're going to be riding. If you ride it in the way it's designed for, you will die.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Sportbikes are hilariously overpowered for the roads. You end up doing licence ban speeds without realising it. I've got to be very selective about when I use the power on my GSX-R750.

They've got performance on par with high end exotic super cars. It's magnified by the fact that most cars in Ireland are slow and boring poverty specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Absolute best case scenario for someone determined at all costs to get onto a litre bike is a full licence and at the least, somewhere between 1 and 3 full years of NCD and probably still paying heftily.

Insurance will be based on the maximum power available. A bike with factory restriction may be the exception but if these power modes can be selected - it would logically be the maximum power your insurance would be based on.

A GSXR 600 could easily get you into a world of pain. A GSXR 1000 is an absolute waste of power - about 1% of riders would have the talent to be able to use all of it and that's before you consider how long you would keep your licence or your life.

If superbikes are your thing, I say realistically you need to get onto a factory restricted 600 and get your licence. After a year or two go for an unrestricted 750 and I'll eat my hat if that isn't fast enough for you. A couple of years NCD and experience, you'll be on litre bikes on 2-3 years if you're ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

If you can get the best out of the SV 650 even you should probably contact Moto GP, there is a career for you.

Go ahead and buy the GSXR, it'll make me chuckle when I pass you on my Deauville.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Oh well I guess I will have to look at other options. Basically it's the insurance companies that are dictating your choice of bike and not the licence category like I thought. Would I able to get insured on something like an R6 then or is it still too powerful. I have checked some reviews and it looks like it has traction control and abs which obviously make the bike safer. It's not like someone else is making you go fast, you are the one that is controlling the throttle, I can't change these insurance companies so I guess I'll just have to accept it. I doubt that explaining my reasoning to them would do much. I have seen something like the insurance assements which provide discounts but there is barely any information available about them.

An R6 is a tiny supersports bike that will be uncomfortable for a 6' on the road. It's designed to be ridden on full bore at all times to get the faster lap around a track, for road use it'd be a nightmare. Any bike you've liked so far are not really designed for road use, they are all race bikes which have been had lights added for Homologation.

Have you even sat on any of the bikes you've mentioned so far? Because they aren't designed for comfort and especially not for tall people. Their seating position isn't even that nice for road use, though plenty of people use them on the road, where as you can get plenty of bikes that will be comfortable and have plenty of power which are relatively easy to insure look at the super nakeds or even just nakeds, a lot are slightly detuned versions of the sports bikes with road suspension and better ergonomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

has he ever sat on a bike*

100% wind up merchant ffs leave him off

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Del2005 wrote: »
    ...look at the super nakeds or even just nakeds, a lot are slightly detuned versions of the sports bikes with road suspension and better ergonomics.
    ...and cheaper to buy!

Look at the price difference between a Yamaha R1 and MT10, or BMW S1000RR and S1000R. The sports bikes are 40%-50% more but the engines are similar (except at the top end).

I should probably find some examples that aren't litre bikes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

has he ever sat on a bike*

100% wind up merchant ffs leave him off
    Using the word practical to describe a 1000cc sports bike was a big give away now that I read it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Sportbikes are hilariously overpowered for the roads. You end up doing licence ban speeds without realising it. I've got to be very selective about when I use the power on my GSX-R750.

They've got performance on par with high end exotic super cars. It's magnified by the fact that most cars in Ireland are slow and boring poverty specs.

This is it, I thought my 600 was fast until I rode noelers from here CBR 1000 , just ridiculously fast , words can't describe. To start on one of them would just be the worst idea ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I did the mandatory IBT training for a full unrestricted licence and got the permit a few months ago..... I have been looking at the Suzuki GSXR 1000 .... I an 6ft and 25 years old.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Yeah. I was on an FZ6 S2 (Fantastic starter bike) For 3 years after receiving a full licence and then got a CBR1000. I absolutely Love it, however, it is way more power than I will ever need. I had the means to get what Iv always wanted but not with out proper consideration, usage criteria and waiting years to gain experience. After all that my insurance for 29 yr old,3 yrs NCB on the FZ6 and full licence for 3 yrs was a ridiculous 1000 Euro!! I managed to get it down to 800 Fully comp after mates rates from Liberty, Was paying 360 on the Yamaha. That was my experience over the past couple years. Might shed a bit more light on what you're trying to achieve. As Goos said. It's just ridiculously fast, Words can't describe. ha. Im glad I started on an upright bike first. All these seemingly pervasive rules and measure are to protect not only you on your bike but other road users also. Good luck with your riding.

Advertisement