Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registered post lost by an post

Options
  • 26-07-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey guys, so i misplaced an item in a hotel and they found it for me and posted it back to me through an post with registered mail, was given a tracking number too.

Issue starts where it states on the tracking it was delivered and signed for yesterday but no one at my home was here to sign for it in the morning so completely lost as to where the item has gone.

I contacted an post and they said that it was delivered and signed for...but i told them it wasn't and nobody here signed for it.

They are going to investigate it and try to find it, it's quite an expensive small parcel and need to find out where its gone.

Double checked the address i left with the hotel and it was exactly correct even including the Eircode.

Anyone had any experiences like this in the past and any idea what an post can do to resolve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you got the tracking number I think you can enter it on anpost.ie and it will show the signature signed for it. Any chance a neighbour took it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Take a look around the garden/in bins. I have had parcels signed for and left in the garden before (Not An Post). Otherwise call to the neighbours and across the Road. An post tend not to go further than the nearby houses. If you live on an estate and there is a estate with a similar name try calling to ur house number there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Green wheelie bin, go.

Also if you request POD as above you get the signature and thus evidence of the posties misdeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have to say I ship with AnPost allot and never see these issues..
    My own postman says they are plagued with customers telling him to drop stuff without the signature which he won't do.. he was apologizing for dropping in a note that I had a parcel to collect..

If you can get chatting to your postie and see what they have to say.. Or get onto AnPost customer services and surely they will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

There should be an electronic record of who signed for it. I received a package this morning and signed for it electronically. I've also never encountered this problem in decades of dealing with registered mail on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rainbow66666

Thanks for all the replies guys, i live in an apartment complex with small gardens outside each apartment and i don't know any of my neighbors, and to be honest if one of them signed for it, it was probably to steal it as it was signed for on the 25th but there is still no sign of it at my door or in my letterbox.

Currently an post are investigating it and I'm waiting for htem to get back to me because its pretty damn strange that the postman would just let any person on the street sign it, even if its a neighbour it should require my signature and after downloading the Digital signature it appears someone did sign for it in my name.

It was a work related item so im not even looking for compensation i NEED the item or I'm going to get killed by work lol.

I guess I'll just keep pressing an post and hope they can somehow track down who signed it and get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

It may not be lost - sometimes their tracking shows "delivered" but has word after it.
    In the past couple of weeks an post have added an automatic evening delivery service in many areas if they can't deliver in the morning. Problem is this can show as "delivered" on the tracking, but should also have "even" printed beside it.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    It may not be lost - sometimes their tracking shows "delivered" but has word after it.
    In the past couple of weeks an post have added an automatic evening delivery service in many areas if they can't deliver in the morning. Problem is this can show as "delivered" on the tracking, but should also have "even" printed beside it.

I would agree with you on that except when i request a proof of delivery it shows me a signature for the delivery like someone signed for it.

And that is what has me concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I would agree with you on that except when i request a proof of delivery it shows me a signature for the delivery like someone signed for it.

And that is what has me concerned.

The postmen do that. My courier postman(van) forges the name, the mail carrier signs a mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

This happened to me. Item was delivered to the wrong house with a similar address. Nobody was there so the postman must have signed for it himself.
    I saw on the tracker it was delivered but not to me. Called the local post office who got in touch with the postman and he went back to the house he'd delivered it to and left a note in the door. He went back that evening, collected it from them and dropped it to me.

I live in a smallish town though so the postman knew straight away where he'd delivered it by mistake

• Advertisement

Thanks for the insight there! I'm currently awaiting word back form the depot about where the postman could have dropped the parcel and if he is trying to locate it or what exactly is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Not sure what the procedure is when you're at home, but if you go to collect a registered parcel from the post office now (after getting the note when you weren't there) you have to have photo id with you and they have to scan it or something.....even when personally known to the staff.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Not sure what the procedure is when you're at home, but if you go to collect a registered parcel from the post office now (after getting the note when you weren't there) you have to have photo id with you and they have to scan it or something.....even when personally known to the staff.

Well the issue is that i wasn't give a missed delivery docket because there was no missed delivery. Someone (be it the postman or neighbour or wrong house) has signed for the package and I'm trying tog et an post to track down who and where, because its a work related item, and compensation is not enough. I need the device that has gone missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

chuckles30 wrote: »

that doesn't always happen. In my experience it very rarely happens. once you have the missed delivery slip they just hand it over without question. you do have to sign for it but writing on the electronic screen is nearly impossible so the signature could be anybodies.

that doesn't always happen. In my experience it very rarely happens. once you have the missed delivery slip they just hand it over without question. you do have to sign for it but writing on the electronic screen is nearly impossible so the signature could be anybodies.

I got an update from them that its been pushed pretty far up the chain and the driver said they did get a person to sign for it (most likely) and that they were sure it was the right address but as the guy on the phone said to me from customer services "that doesn't sound very plausible".

It's a work related item so I'm not even looking for compensation, i need the item or my work will most likely kill me over it. So all i can do right now is sit tight and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Del.Monte wrote: »
    There should be an electronic record of who signed for it. I received a package this morning and signed for it electronically. I've also never encountered this problem in decades of dealing with registered mail on a regular basis.

I've encountered this kind of crap by an post all the time.

McGaggs wrote: »

I say that BS / Fake Comment. You're here 8 years and not one post complaining about An post. But suddenly you have the issues "all the time"

Considering over 1000 posts & a few about parcel motel, but none about an post, it a keyboard warrior just wanting to have a go on a large institution.

I'm involvd in a company that sends 200-300 parcel a week and multiple of that at Christmas.

In 4 years we've had ONE item go missing. That's one out of in excess of 30,000.

We used a different service prior and we'd have parcels go missing almost every week.

I say that BS / Fake Comment. You're here 8 years and not one post complaining about An post. But suddenly you have the issues "all the time"

Considering over 1000 posts & a few about parcel motel, but none about an post, it a keyboard warrior just wanting to have a go on a large institution.

I'm involvd in a company that sends 200-300 parcel a week and multiple of that at Christmas.

In 4 years we've had ONE item go missing. That's one out of in excess of 30,000.

We used a different service prior and we'd have parcels go missing almost every week.

At work, an post lose about 5% of what we post. They regularly return post marked "gone away", and when the customer is contacted they say they're still at that address they've lived at for 20 years.

Personally, an post have put parcles in the bin, with and without notes, I've got attempted delivery notes through the letterbox while I was at home and when I follow the postman out to his van, the parcel is at the depot because it was never sent out for delivery. I've had post regularly delivered to the same wrong address, despite being assured that it won't happen again. When living in apartments parcels have been left lying in various common areas.

I haven't been on here moaning because I go straight to an post with my complaints. I'm only posting here today on a thread I stumbled across to back up the OP who's being told by keyboard warriors that an post never have issues.

I do my best to avoid websites that deliver using an post to minimise the problems they cause me.

I'm not sure what my post count has to do with it, but I don't think 0.49 posts a day makes me prolific.

At work, an post lose about 5% of what we post. They regularly return post marked "gone away", and when the customer is contacted they say they're still at that address they've lived at for 20 years.

Personally, an post have put parcles in the bin, with and without notes, I've got attempted delivery notes through the letterbox while I was at home and when I follow the postman out to his van, the parcel is at the depot because it was never sent out for delivery. I've had post regularly delivered to the same wrong address, despite being assured that it won't happen again. When living in apartments parcels have been left lying in various common areas.

I haven't been on here moaning because I go straight to an post with my complaints. I'm only posting here today on a thread I stumbled across to back up the OP who's being told by keyboard warriors that an post never have issues.

I do my best to avoid websites that deliver using an post to minimise the problems they cause me.

I'm not sure what my post count has to do with it, but I don't think 0.49 posts a day makes me prolific.

So 5% of work post goes missing or is not delivered and the managment still use them.

Eitehr managemnet suck or its BS.

As I said we send hundreds EVERY week. We have ONE record of non delivery in 4 years.

I also would talk regularly with other online companies that use an post and we'd all be in agreement that their service far outstrips other services.

I much prefer my own verifiable information that I can see on my desk and I can assure you that if we even had ONE parcel a week (0.5%) go missing hte cost of the follow up and losing a customer woul mean very quickly movign to another servioce and that woudl be the same for most propoerly run companies - so if your compnay is at 5% its very badly managed imo.

Or your comment is unsubstantiated BS

So 5% of work post goes missing or is not delivered and the managment still use them.

Eitehr managemnet suck or its BS.

As I said we send hundreds EVERY week. We have ONE record of non delivery in 4 years.

I also would talk regularly with other online companies that use an post and we'd all be in agreement that their service far outstrips other services.

I much prefer my own verifiable information that I can see on my desk and I can assure you that if we even had ONE parcel a week (0.5%) go missing hte cost of the follow up and losing a customer woul mean very quickly movign to another servioce and that woudl be the same for most propoerly run companies - so if your compnay is at 5% its very badly managed imo.

Or your comment is unsubstantiated BS

The 5% figure is on letter post. There is no real alternative for sending large amounts of letters around the country.

• Advertisement

The 5% figure is on letter post. There is no real alternative for sending large amounts of letters around the country.

An Post would be out of business in a week with that level, thousands of major customers would be calling for heads to roll. The hysterical muck rags like the Daily mail, Herald and indo would have a field day.

As I said, i call your figure, total, complete and utter BS.

Maybe you have a lot of dishonest customers who claim not to receive stuff.

An Post would be out of business in a week with that level, thousands of major customers would be calling for heads to roll. The hysterical muck rags like the Daily mail, Herald and indo would have a field day.

As I said, i call your figure, total, complete and utter BS.

Maybe you have a lot of dishonest customers who claim not to receive stuff.

The Irish Examiner were reporting in 2014 that 2% of items posted are lost each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@CeilingFly - I've warned you before about your posting style. Please be civil to others.

All posters - please stay on topic, I don't want this thread turning into a general bashing on An Post. We have other threads devoted to that.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The Irish Examiner were reporting in 2014 that 2% of items posted are lost each week.

I suspect most of them are found though. I am afraid to tempt fate but I have never had anything lost by An Post whereas I've had plenty of problems with couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's a regulatory obligation for An Post to report complaints in its Annual Report and categorise them according to the relevant European Standard En 14012.

is this the article you are referring to ?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/50000-letters-and-parcels-undelivered-by-an-post-every-week-266442.html

i dont think that says what you think it says. The article is actually about undelivered mail and attempts by the an post returns department to return them to the sender.

ETA: An post processed over 125 millions items of post last year. they had less than 18,000 complaints about items lost or substantially damaged. that is approx 0.01%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I ship stuff theough an post registered all the time, few items a week and never ever any problems, way more reliable than courier delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm quite the opposite. 100% delivery rate with An Post while couriers fail in about 10% of deliveries. I avoid sites using certain couriers and actually seek out those using An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

ETA: An post processed over 125 millions items of post last year. they had less than 18,000 complaints about items lost or substantially damaged. that is approx 0.01%

It's also 50 items a day lost or substantially damaged. That's not great.

I used to regularly have strangers knock on my door from surrounding streets delivering items An Post had delivered to the wrong address. Including at one point my TV license renewal notice, from An Post. I'd do the same for others. These were clearly printed addresses, bank statements and the like, not something handwritten that was hard to read. (That's not counting the numerous times delivery slips claiming attempted delivery were put through the door while people were present in the house and no such attempt had been made)

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    It's also 50 items a day lost or substantially damaged. That's not great.

I used to regularly have strangers knock on my door from surrounding streets delivering items An Post had delivered to the wrong address. Including at one point my TV license renewal notice, from An Post. I'd do the same for others. These were clearly printed addresses, bank statements and the like, not something handwritten that was hard to read. (That's not counting the numerous times delivery slips claiming attempted delivery were put through the door while people were present in the house and no such attempt had been made)

as a percentage it is tiny. Have you complained about misdelivered items?

Advertisement