Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was down that way today, what a load of hysterics in fairness. The limit is 50, and unless you're wheel spinning between every ramp, or dukes of hazarding over them, you're not going to be anywhere near averaging that speed so it's of no consequence those turns being sharp.
    And as we all know, that loop has probably one of the highest mortality rates in D15 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

To be honest, I'm in favour of segregated cycle infrastructure. The issue is we didn't build our roads to accommodate it, so it feels like a chunk is being taken off the road for cars. But so be it. I've been doing some driving for work down in Dun Laoghaire CC area, and they've been installing these for the past few months. At first I had to get used to the new layout, but now I have confidence that when I'm driving past a cyclist neither he nor I are gonna weave into one another by accident. Does it slow me down at certain corners? Yes. Should I be slowing down at those corners irrespective of the cycling infrastructure? Yes. So be it. Ditto for passing vehicles on the other side - we're all a bit slower and more cautious. Is that a bad thing in residential areas?

The fantasy of painting cycle lanes onto roads of the past few years just makes it more dangerous IMO for all road users. Bikes are here to stay in greater numbers. I don't cycle and certain things cyclists do can annoy me. For that reason, actually, segregation is a blessing.

And that stretch of road is lethal and anything that protects lives at the cost of a bit of speed around it is to be welcomed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Nijmegen wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm in favour of segregated cycle infrastructure. The issue is we didn't build our roads to accommodate it, so it feels like a chunk is being taken off the road for cars.

The fantasy of painting cycle lanes onto roads of the past few years just makes it more dangerous IMO for all road users. Bikes are here to stay in greater numbers. I don't cycle and certain things cyclists do can annoy me. For that reason, actually, segregation is a blessing.

And that stretch of road is lethal and anything that protects lives at the cost of a bit of speed around it is to be welcomed.

That's the reason I support moves like this, there was already a solid white line on the road meaning that the new kerb hasn't reduced the width of the traffic lane more than a few cm's at most. If you are a driver who feels that the new physical curb is reducing the available road space then I'd say you are exactly the person that the cycle lanes needed to be protected from.

The changes made to account for resident concerns re the side streets make some sense, collisions are for more likely turning left into the side road so it makes sense to keep these quite tight, whereas pulling out is less dangerous as the driver should be looking to the right anyway and treat any approaching cyclist as oncoming traffic. In an ideal world I'd prefer a two way protect cycleway at one side of the road rather than protected one way cycleways at each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

beauf wrote: »

Interesting to see that FCC's letter of consent to Castlethorn developers, is dated the same day (6th Nov) as their Kellystown submission deadline. Probably written at one minute past 5pm! It does make a mockery of their public consultation though.

Another thing to note is that the developers are pushing for a far higher density on the site than the council are, at the same time that the council are agreeing with Irish Rail's plans to close the level crossings either side of the Kellystown site.

Congestion will be bad alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭raheny red

Hearing the council are out this evening taking up the bollards in Huntstown / Hartstown???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

ongarboy wrote: »
    It might've been covered on another thread but a new housing development is being built on the old Williamstown stud on that road along with a roundabout at the Leixlip road junction. I believe the road will close temporarily later this month to build water and sewer infrastructure in advance.

Is that road closed now? I ask as the traffic jams when heading to littlepace from ongar or allendale have gone a bit mental in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fiddle Castro

raheny red wrote: »
    Hearing the council are out this evening taking up the bollards in Huntstown / Hartstown???

Was this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Phil.x wrote: »
    Is that road closed now? I ask as the traffic jams when heading to littlepace from ongar or allendale have gone a bit mental in the last few days.

Yeah it closed since Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭raheny red

Was this true?

Haven't heard anything else. Her mate was probably wrong as there hasn't been anything else mentioned?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Anyone know what's happening on the site/stud ground at littlepace roundabout.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's the same water works that was closer to Ongar before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I believe there will eventually be an estate going in on that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The 70 or so houses and duplexes proposed for the Allendale site north and west of Allendale Square has been refused by Fingal. I know some people give out about over development of the area but I'd rather see that site developed than be unused, unsightly, overgrown and boarded up as it has been for the almost 20 years I've lived near it. It would also allow one of the last remaining missing stretches of footpath between Clonsilla and Ongar to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Looking at the planning docs for that propose development, there was only 2 objections lodged and attached to the case. Not surprisingly both in relation to the neighboring Allendale house/The Stables.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

Looking at the planning docs for that propose development, there was only 2 objections lodged and attached to the case. Not surprisingly both in relation to the neighboring Allendale house/The Stables.

One of those was up for sale recently

Clonsilla residential site sells for 43pc over its guide price

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/clonsilla-residential-site-sells-for-43pc-over-its-guide-price-40077663.html

Site opposite Clonsilla train station (between new Lidl and the Protestant church) has potential for over 60 apartments according to article. 2 minutes walk from train station will be very attractive selling point when the apartments come on the market.

I've seen the sale agreed sign on the property last few weeks.
    Mad price but prime development area, potential. There is plenty of the Lidl site adjacent that is undeveloped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Going to much harder to get a train downstream in the future.

• Advertisement

Going to much harder to get a train downstream in the future.

True, electrification of the Maynooth line & removal or automation of all gates has to be a priority. Been promised for 10 years already..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

ongarboy wrote: »
    Clonsilla residential site sells for 43pc over its guide price

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/clonsilla-residential-site-sells-for-43pc-over-its-guide-price-40077663.html

Site opposite Clonsilla train station (between new Lidl and the Protestant church) has potential for over 60 apartments according to article. 2 minutes walk from train station will be very attractive selling point when the apartments come on the market.

Such a gorgeous site that could have seen the house bought and renovated. Really unfortunate move that it was sold for development. Another bit of Clonsilla history gone.

Such a gorgeous site that could have seen the house bought and renovated. Really unfortunate move that it was sold for development. Another bit of Clonsilla history gone.

it looked passed saving tbh. It would the wrong place for a expensive detached house though.

Clonsilla is a bit of visual mess though isn't. Its just a whole load of different stuff thrown together no real plan. A nice consistent footpath and cycle lane with decent planting, would have gone a long way to improving the amenity of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Is it not just a bog standard house that you’d see everywhere? I don’t see anything special about it whatsoever. Good news about this site. Much needed housing.
    I agree that they need to get the finger out re Dart upgrade and more consistent cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

it looked passed saving tbh. It would the wrong place for a expensive detached house though.

Clonsilla is a bit of visual mess though isn't. Its just a whole load of different stuff thrown together no real plan. A nice consistent footpath and cycle lane with decent planting, would have gone a long way to improving the amenity of the area.

Nah, I walked passed out most days. Got talking to the son of the guy who owned it and he was telling me that it was fool of character inside, retained a lot of its original features. It's gone now anyway.

I can't imagine the guy trying to sell the Forge (house on the triangle in front of it) is too happy. Especially given the length of time his place has been on the market

The Forge looks like a decent place from a distance but it needs serious work.
    I was walking by it few weeks ago when a large piece of the chimney pointing/bricks fell off.

I think the Forge could work great as a commercial establishment like a really cool destination restaurant or non chain cafe if done up tastefully to respect its history. It's at such a pivotal, highly visible junction with access from all sides and adjacent to the train station. I really don't think its suitable any longer as a stand alone private residential house as it's too busy a traffic and footfall junction and looks a little stranded and exposed on its own little island plot.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Is it not just a bog standard house that you’d see everywhere? I don’t see anything special about it whatsoever. Good news about this site. Much needed housing.
    I agree that they need to get the finger out re Dart upgrade and more consistent cycling infrastructure.

You might see it everywhere, but not in D15, where every patch of land is earmarked for 1 and 2 bed apartment living. That triangle of church, forge, lodge and (former) Clonsilla House - now Portersgate estate - not to mention the old railway station, Shackleton Gardens and Luttrellstown Castle, showed an area with real character and uniqueness. I liked what was done in Phibblestown house estate (and Bolton Park estate, Rathfarnham), where the heritage gave character to the new development, rather than it being razed to the ground.

I see the plot of land behind St Mochta's school, is also up for sale, asking price 1.9 million. Apparently, 360 apartments are earmarked for the site and, if Irish Rail get their wish and close the level crossing at Porterstown, then that'll be a lot more cars feeding out on to an already congested Clonsilla Road.

• Advertisement

The plan is too close the bridge which should make it a bit quieter there.

Advertisement