Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to replicate McDonald's coffee

Options
  • 24-07-2017 10:32pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5

I would like to replicate McDonald's coffee at home, outside of stealing a McDonald's coffee machine, how can I go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Why would anyone want to do this ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

1. Get some dish water
    2. Boil till scolding
    3. add coffee as required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

alec76 wrote: »

Because they like McDonalds coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Playing a prank on someone who really hates McDonald's coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

mad m wrote: »
    1. Get some dish water
    2. Boil till scolding
    3. add coffee as required
    4. Throw cup of scalding coffee over yourself
    5. Sue yourself for damages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Strand8011 wrote: »
    I would like to replicate McDonald's coffee at home, outside of stealing a McDonald's coffee machine, how can I go about this?

Shame about the rude replies.

Have you considered a French Press? Their coffee seems to have that kind of taste, a French Press is cheap and will give you a similar taste without needing a machine. You might enjoy the M&S Columbian beans, although you may need a grinder if you don't have one, they may have ground blends. Honestly, I would avoid the likes of any of the 'brand name' coffees like Robert Roberts in store, they are usually too dark and just taste smoky. Another option is to buy a bag in a decent cafe that stocks them and ask them to be ground. Dwarf Jar sell a McCabes espresso blend that would have a similar flavour.

To the snarky replies above - the McDonalds filter isn't actually that bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Strand8011

Because no coffee shop serves coffee as nice as McDonald's coffee in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

i would agree, its better than any automatic making machine out there. If i was given a choice between it or Costa/ insomna or Starbucks i would choose McD's - Now i'm only a cappuccino drinker but I like it too.

Its cheap also

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Exact same here - McD's is consistently good and consistently, well consistent, in a way that Costa et al just aren't IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

cloudatlas wrote: »

There's a lot of twirly moustached beany covered heads exploding over a Vario hand grinder watching that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Serving the coffee in 3 separate beakers did lead to a giggle in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

For those that drink their coffee black, McDonald's isn't the best imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

dball wrote:
    i would agree, its better than any automatic making machine out there. If i was given a choice between it or Costa/ insomna or Starbucks i would choose McD's - Now i'm only a cappuccino drinker but I like it too.

McDonald's use the same coffee as insomnia.

Mcd's is just a machine with no human involvement. It's the exact same as using one of those automated Costa machines.

I prefer the barista stuff myself. Always have. It of course Canberra hit and miss depending on the brand and person along it but if you find a good one it's a million times better and fresher than any machine. McDonald's included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Mr.H wrote: »
    McDonald's use the same coffee as insomnia.

Mcd's is just a machine with no human involvement. It's the exact same as using one of those automated Costa machines.

I prefer the barista stuff myself. Always have. It of course Canberra hit and miss depending on the brand and person along it but if you find a good one it's a million times better and fresher than any machine. McDonald's included.

On the topic of push button coffee machines, the Costa ones I've spotted in a few SuperValus were undrinkable.

Starbucks is only drinkable if you mask it with syrup.

McDonalds I'd give a 6 out of 10.

The ones in the applegreens are putrid and roughly 2 out of 10.

But the bees knees of push button coffee goes to the Frank & Honest machines in most Centras, I actually rate them up there with Batista Badger & Dodo coffees in a local coffee shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

On the topic of push button coffee machines, the Costa ones I've spotted in a few SuperValus were undrinkable.

Starbucks is only drinkable if you mask it with syrup.

McDonalds I'd give a 6 out of 10.

The ones in the applegreens are putrid and roughly 2 out of 10.

But the bees knees of push button coffee goes to the Frank & Honest machines in most Centras, I actually rate them up there with Batista Badger & Dodo coffees in a local coffee shop.

Totally agree. Applegreen is horrific but Mc D’s is take over any machine bar Frank and Honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

To be honest, if you're going to be drinking it regularly, an Aeropress/cafetiere and ground coffee in a flask would always give you a better result and save you a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Strand8011 wrote: »

I worked in mc DS for 4 years bud
    It's kenco coffee beans

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eddieham

wally1990 wrote: »
    I worked in mc DS for 4 years bud
    It's kenco coffee beans

McD coffee beans are most definitely not Kenco beans.
    The company that roast McDonald's blend also supply Frank and honest among many others.
    They have supplied mcD for at least four years now and provide the coffee machines to the majority of stores in Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

McDonald's do use one of the most expensive machines on the market.
    Their cappuccino is excellent if diluted slightly with hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

eddieham wrote: »
    McD coffee beans are most definitely not Kenco beans.
    The company that roast McDonald's blend also supply Frank and honest among many others.
    They have supplied mcD for at least four years now and provide the coffee machines to the majority of stores in Ireland also.

Well I worked there from 2007 onward for 4 years and they came in kenco bags

Huge boxes of kenco beans in kenco bags

Not sure why I would bother making that up but ok you know best

You may want to read
    Mac Donald's press office Europe

''From Wednesday, McDonald’s UK customers will be able to enjoy great tasting Kenco coffee while knowing that they are making a positive contribution to sustainable development. McDonald’s is the first major retailer in the UK to source 100 per cent of its coffee from farms that meet the Rainforest Alliance’s social and environmental standards.''

*rolls eye * leaves chat *

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eddieham

The document you have quoted is 10 years old and McDonald's have changed supplier since that was published.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/drinks/could-you-provide-information-on-the-supplier-of-your-coffee-beans.html

United Coffee was founded in 1818 and now employs nearly 1,000 people and roasts over 60,000 tons of coffee per year. The company buys 1% of the world’s total coffee exports per year.[5] The company is a market leader within the private label and single portion coffee sector and owns retail and out-of-home brands such as Grand Café, Templo, Rosca, and Smit & Dorlas. It also supplies some of Europe’s leading food service companies, including Subway, McDonald’s and thousands of local cafes and restaurants.

OP, it would be very difficult to replicate mcD coffee at home without purchasing a domestic bean to cup machine or a domestic traditional espresso machine, as this is the method mcD use to produce coffee (bean to cup)
    They can be purchased but are quite expensive.
    Then you would need to find an espresso bean blend to your taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Don't drink coffee myself so have no clue but got this for my wife and she loves it. Don't know if she likes McD coffee though!

Good discount available now too

https://the-oomph.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

ForestFire wrote: »
    Don't drink coffee myself so have no clue but got this for my wife and she loves it. Don't know if she likes McD coffee though!

Good discount available now too

https://the-oomph.com

Seems like an Aeropress but with an inner unit.....hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Spoken like a true ponytailed barista!

This morning I tasted the most vile bitter cup of coffee ever, made on our Nespresso machine, I’ve no idea what kind of blend, the capsule was dark blue color, I would love to be able to make a McDonalds type coffee at home, I’m no fan of their burgers bit their coffee is always consistently top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

brevity wrote: »
    For those that drink their coffee black, McDonald's isn't the best imo.

I love my black coffee from McDonald's. Much better than walhats on offer in the other big chains.

My favourite besides McDonald's black coffee is seven wonders coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Bebop wrote: »
    Spoken like a true ponytailed barista!

This morning I tasted the most vile bitter cup of coffee ever, made on our Nespresso machine
    no tail , although can do some Latte Art and know few tricks ...

ps. Had double shot espresso at McCafe while ago , piss-poor coffee , couldn’t finish it .

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I used to think that McDonalds was the best, most consistent coffee I could grab on the road too. Still probably is the most consistent but when you hit the right Frank and Honest at the right time it pips it for taste. Had a flat white in one last week that was on a par with any barista one I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I actually think sometimes those machines in garages aren’t being maintained correctly.

Quite a few places use those Franke machines, and they are very good and should be able to produce consistent coffee. However I occasionally get coffee that’s weak as water from them. I’m pretty sure someone’s not changing a filter or clearing something properly.

Of the chains I would rate either insomnia or costa way ahead of Starbucks for a simple espresso or flat white.

Where Costa annoys me is if I have no option but to stop there for lunch they’ve very little choice and awful food. Starbucks isn’t brilliant but at least it has edible salads and those scrambled egg things. Costa is just a load of extremely sugary cakes and bad prepack sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Has anyone taken into account the fact different people like different things/tastes???

I know its mad you hate it but someone else might enjoy it! Best overall takeaway coffee in MY opinion is Maccy D's best tasting take away coffee Café Nero.

Advertisement