Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 7 Episode 3 "The Queen's Justice" - "Non book readers"

• 23-07-2017 9:53pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate Season 7 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

In addition anyone picking up 3 yellow cards will be banned from the forum for the current season; in case of serious enough transgressions the ban may come earlier than 3 cards.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Good episode:)
    My stream went blank at very ending could someone tell me what tyrion said at the very end i seen up to the back door being penetrated pardon the pun:) but stream went blank then.

My stream went blank at very ending could someone tell me what tyrion said at the very end i seen up to the back door being penetrated pardon the pun:) but stream went blank then.

Last scene was Jamie and Olena...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That last scene with Jaime and Olenna was fantastic. Olenna was a thorned rose to the very end. Diana Rigg was brilliant in every scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

For a master of spies Varys has been lacking..Lannister army moving, Casterley Rock being evacuted, marching on high garden, Eurons fleet, the north etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You missed quite a bit if that was the last bit you saw! Rewatch before proceeding with this thread!

Good episode I thought. Very good. Lots of questions raised, but I guess they should go in the speculation thread! Agreed on Diana Rigg. Lady Olenna will be missed!

Re: Varys. His little Westerosi birds are now working for Qyburn, so I'm not sure if Varys is even acting as master of spies for Dany, rather than just a general advisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sansa and Bran wasn't the best reunion.

"Hey Sis, remember that night you got raped?"

Bran you dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

"It was snowing and you were wearing a white dress" he says to a woman who got married in Winterfell. Of all the things a seer could have said he saw...! He came across like a €9.99 a minute psychic hotline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

J. Marston wrote: »

Bran you dick.

At least he told her that she looked beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

lertsnim wrote: »
    At least he told her that she looked beautiful.

Absolute beast of an episode. Loved it from start to finish. Wasn't entirely clear it was highgarden at end and Bran scene was creepy. Otherwise faultless really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I like to think that Jon thought of Ygritte when Daenerys said they should consider what they "know".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

golfball37 wrote: »
    Absolute beast of an episode. Loved it from start to finish. Wasn't entirely clear it was highgarden at end and Bran scene was creepy. Otherwise faultless really.

It was very clear - Tarly with the Lannister army, Olenna Tyrell, Jaime taking about abandoning Casterly Rock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fantastic episode, the tension between Danny and Jon Snow at the start was nerve racking i wasn't sure which way it was gonna go.

Also, as much as I hate Cersei its nice to see shes not just turteling in Kings Landing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

J. Marston wrote: »

Bran you dick.

It was even worse it came across as  'hey sis, I watched you get raped and you looked nice in the dress'  I was thinking of all the events you could have mentioned, why bring up that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It was even worse it came across as 'hey sis, I watched you get raped and you looked nice in the dress' I was thinking of all the events you could have mentioned, why bring up that!
    It was a defining moment for Sansa. It was also instigated by Littlefinger. Perhaps that's something Sansa needs reminding of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

It was a defining moment for Sansa. It was also instigated by Littlefinger. Perhaps that's something Sansa needs reminding of?

ohhh, I had not thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

i wouldn't be too impressed if I was one of the Lannister soldiers left behind st casterly rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

i wouldn't be too impressed if I was one of the Lannister soldiers left behind st casterly rock
    Dead men can't protest. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sansa needed to be told something only she was left to speak of ,the rape,by the three eyed Raven,to know he was telling the truth

People were complaining about Euron before this week and it wasn't much of an issue to me, but his presenting the captives scene was really quite OTT I thought from the 'finger in the bum' line as well a riding a fecking horse into the throne room (has that happened before?). All a bit too showman like. I also wasn't mad on the deus ex machina-esque way his fleet somehow got from KL to Casterly Rock so quickly (unless they were coming from the Iron Islands, but... even more boats in that armada!?!?). They missed a really easy out too where they could have given the Iron Bank fella a quick line showing that Euron is also in heavy debt for his mysteriously huge, ultra flashy armada of superboats that was built in basically no time. A patchwork excuse for something that really does grate me the more I think about it, but it would still be some form of explanation.

As I was watching it I felt a bit underwhelmed by the battle scene near the end, but after I think it was well done - it was underwhelming for the Unsullied/Unsillied as well which showed by Grey Worm saying there were supposed to be much more before seeing their fleet getting attacked - e.g. no real satisfying ending or sense of victory either.

Sansa/Bran scene also disappointing, though it may have been for a bit of a reason like the battle scene - she was expecting a big, emotional catch up with her brother but... well he's not really even her brother anymore, as he said he cannot be Lord of Winterfell. He's the Three Eyed Raven instead.

Seeing the end of the fecking sandsnakes was great too, and was very well done - the kiss came so quick that I didn't know what was going on at first and was a bit worried it was HBO just looking for more bewbs and lesbian stuff for the same of it... then a couple of seconds later the penny dropped.

Jon/Dany scene was good but the Jaime/Olenna one was fantastic, and I really liked Jaime's comment about Robb Stark having done the same to him, tied it together quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Billy86 wrote: »
    riding a fecking horse into the throne room (has that happened before?).
    Tywin Lannister did it after the battle of the Blackwater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Really thought that episode was top class.

The opening twenty minutes or so between Dany and Jon was tense. Good to see Jon stand by his conviction and not take a knee for the sake of her self-vanity.

Olenna has to have had the most bad-ass exit in the show. Certainly in terms of defiance right to the end anyway. Sickened Jaime :D

I am currently immersed in Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts, and those tactical maneouvres by Tyrion and Jaime regarding Casterely Rock/Highgarden deserves his taking on it :D Those Lannisters are cute hoors on the battlefield.

Would echo a previous criticism of Euron's entrance to Cersei. Felt it was too cheesy, and the "finger in the bum" comment was a bit much and a bit "modern".

Apt name for the episode though what with Cersei's treatment of the Sand Snakes. The daughter's acting was as hollow as ever. At least she is consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Olenna has to have had the most bad-ass exit in the show. Certainly in terms of defiance right to the end anyway. Sickened Jaime :D

It may be more important than that - Tyrion and Sansa were both exiled for that murder. Jaime now knows for certain that his brother was innocent.

Apt name for the episode though what with Cersei's treatment of the Sand Snakes. The daughter's acting was as hollow as ever. At least she is consistent.

Really? I thought she was great! Ellaria too

Daledge wrote:
    It may be more important than that - Tyrion and Sansa were both exiled for that murder. Jaime now knows for certain that his brother was innocent.

Exactly, but he did still kill their father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Olenna's confession at the end will likely have more consequences than her just getting one up on Cersei.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Billy86 wrote: »
    People were complaining about Euron before this week and it wasn't much of an issue to me, but his presenting the captives scene was really quite OTT I thought from the 'finger in the bum' line as well a riding a fecking horse into the throne room (has that happened before?). All a bit too showman like.

That's his character though. An over the top showman full of bravado. From what I see a lot of people are fans of his. He seems to be well aware that people are dying like flies so he's intent on enjoying himself to the last moment.

The Danish actor playing Euron Greyjoy is very good at what he does -
    "Does she like it rough, or gentle? A finger up the bum? Don't tell me now, we'll talk later".
    His delivery of that little piece was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

PressRun wrote: »
    Olenna's confession at the end will likely have more consequences than her just getting one up on Cersei.

Further strain on her relationship with Jaime.

Him discovering Tyrion was innocent all along. I can imagine if he mentions it to Cersei she will still refuse to believe Tyrion played no part.

Of course Tyrion still did kill Tywin but was pushed to doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

glasso wrote: »
    The Danish actor playing Euron Greyjoy is very good at what he does -
    "Does like it rough, or gentle? A finger up the bum? Don't tell me now, we'll talk later".
    His delivery of that little piece was great :)

Yeah, I laughed too. I don't get the hate some have for that part, I don't watch the show with zombies, dragons and sex everywhere for subtlety...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Great episode, best of the season so far.

I quite liked the method they did the military stuff in.... I don't know the word for it.
    Kind of like in flashback mode or something.
    It's chess, we don't need to see all the battles in real time, just to see the pieces moving.

I am critical that Bran's transition to automaton mode was given no time to flesh out.
    A few minutes would be fine.

Ditto for the Greyscale disease.
    Incurable apparently, but no, a scalpel and some Sudocream and bobs your uncle!
    They spent so much time setting things up to be wrapped up too quickly.

So, while it was a good episode it is already feeling rushed.

It's HBO's most lucrative show, why they gave so few episodes could well bite them in the back side.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    For a master of spies Varys has been lacking..Lannister army moving, Casterley Rock being evacuted, marching on high garden, Eurons fleet, the north etc

Indeed, there could be more to this if the writers are smart enough to do so.

Tyrion's plan was a sound one, except it is completely lacking in reconnaissance/intelligence reports.

Where is the intel on matters from Pyke & Euron's navy?
    Where is the intel on Lannister army movements?
    Where is the intel on the Tully's defection to the Lannisters?

The Spider is supposed to be in the know on all that happens.
    But sadly there seems to be very little useful information coming in to Dragonstone!

Either the writers are forgetting what Varys's job is supposed to be or that Varys has more treachery up his sleeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

But sadly there seems to be very little useful information coming in to Dragonstone!

Either the writers are forgetting what Varys's job is supposed to be or that Varys has more treachery up his sleeve

He doesn't command his little birds any more so he is pretty much useless as an advisor on intel now. He helped win some family's to Dany's side but now she hasn't got them and his role by her side is redundant unless he can redeem himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Cool how inspiration for Cersei's revenge on Ellaria is basically in this scene from S06E01 where she wonders if Myrcellas body is at stage of decomposition - Ellaria will know exactly how her daughter is looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Evade wrote: »
    Speculation about Sam.......

I know it might not be considered a big thing, but the main reason I'm even reading this read is because there is a separate speculation thread. Too many people have been right about what's going to happen in the past, and it takes away from the experience. Please keep any speculation to the appropriate thread, whether you're right or wrong I'd rather find out for myself....

He doesn't command his little birds any more.

While I get that he can't give candied figs or whatever to orphan children anymore, he will still have access to considerable resources from actual grownups!

He should be in a position to amply reward Westerosi spies (adult ones).

I imagine this is just being overlooked and the mad Queen is being routed for an honest lack of recon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Good episode, although as said, seems a bit rushed. Gad to see Bronn back in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I know it might not be considered a big thing, but the main reason I'm even reading this read is because there is a separate speculation thread. Too many people have been right about what's going to happen in the past, and it takes away from the experience. Please keep any speculation to the appropriate thread, whether you're right or wrong I'd rather find out for myself....
    I've edited in some spoiler tags but if you have a problem with the post you should probably report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

The best line in the show from the red woman...
    "I will return, dear Spider. One last time. I have to die in this strange country. Just like you."
    Poor varys looked like he browned himself a little....

Great episode and it was the best of the season so far...(I need white walkers soon though) I thought sansa maybe didn't trust bran especially after little finger told her everyone is your friend everyone is your enemy... Gonna watch again tonite and try make more outta it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Evade wrote: »
    I've edited in some spoiler tags but if you have a problem with the post you should probably report it.

Thanks, I probably have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

How does Eurons armada manage to creep up on his victims without being noticed? could maybe put it down to being dark last week, but they should have seen him coming miles away at casterly rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

danmci wrote: »
    How does Eurons armada manage to creep up on his victims without being noticed? could maybe put it down to being dark last week, but they should have seen him coming miles away at casterly rock

And how bloody quick are they, one minute he is parading through Kings Landing and the next his ship (i presume the ship in the middle of the battle was him) is on the other side of the country.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tyrion's plan was a sound one, except it is completely lacking in reconnaissance/intelligence reports.

Where is the intel on matters from Pyke & Euron's navy?
    Where is the intel on Lannister army movements?
    Where is the intel on the Tully's defection to the Lannisters?

I think Tyrion has just been outmaneuvered by people who have more military expertise than him - Jamie, Euron and Tarly. That's it really, imo. For all of his cleverness, Tyrion doesn't know much about war.
    I think the writing was just intended to give Cersei a live chance against seemingly impossible odds and to give more substance to the battle between herself and Danerys.

And how bloody quick are they, one minute he is parading through Kings Landing and the next his ship (i presume the ship in the middle of the battle was him) is on the other side of the country.

I can kind of let that one slide since I don't recall seeing the whole fleet in KL, so maybe they just took a small handful back there... or they could have come from the Iron Islands having been there before. But it really does nothing to explain this impossible fleet from nowhere - the Iron Banker could have so easily dealt with that (to a passable extent) by saying something along the lines of Cersei's new ally was also heavily indebted or whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Anybody else think the Euron's acting is over the top and a little too cheesy?

Hazys wrote: »
    Anybody else think the Euron's acting is over the top and a little too cheesy?

I actually quite like the actor, I just feel the way the character is written (and the circumstances around him) are a little hamfisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The writers have shown that once they diverge from the books, and I realise what thread I'm in, it's not exactly smart plots we're getting. Entertaining, sure, but smart no. There has to be a bit of tension and a sense of contest about this season - so they have to ignore certain things (such as Varys) in order to tell an entertaining story.

It's my belief that's all there is to it.

danmci wrote: »
    And do what? The ships were at anchor and all the unsullied were on shore. At sea level, the horizon is barely three miles away, so they have that time to get the anchors up and try and sail away. Not a chance of even starting to get under way in that time. Ships at anchor are always sitting ducks. Only one way to go and the enemy is in that direction.
    There has to be the time available to make these transitions. We're not looking at today and tomorrow type sequences. We don't even know if he was on board. Jaime made the jump to Highgarden through the same supposed wormhole, so how hard is it to imagine the required time was spent?

Great episode, best of the season so far.

I quite liked the method they did the military stuff in.... I don't know the word for it.
    Kind of like in flashback mode or something.
    It's chess, we don't need to see all the battles in real time, just to see the pieces moving.

I am critical that Bran's transition to automaton mode was given no time to flesh out.
    A few minutes would be fine.

Ditto for the Greyscale disease.
    Incurable apparently, but no, a scalpel and some Sudocream and bobs your uncle!
    They spent so much time setting things up to be wrapped up too quickly.

So, while it was a good episode it is already feeling rushed.

It's HBO's most lucrative show, why they gave so few episodes could well bite them in the back side.

they are effectively stretching the last season out over 2 seasons. season 7 with 7 episodes and season 8 with 6 episodes, but 2 of those may be 2 hours long. even season 7 has two long episodes at 71 and 81 minutes.
    Also - not sure how lucrative the show is really. the main actors are commanding ridiculous fees not. Emilia Clarke as Daenerys gets £2 million per episode now. Cersei would be on similar.

glasso wrote: »
    they are effectively stretching the last season out over 2 seasons. season 7 with 7 episodes and season 8 with 6 episodes, but 2 of those may be 2 hours long. even season 7 has two long episodes at 71 and 81 minutes.
    Also - not sure how lucrative the show is really. the main actors are commanding ridiculous fees not. Emilia Clarke as Daenerys gets £2 million per episode now. Cersei would be on similar.
    Just on HBO's income. They get something like $15 per subscriber per month. Around ten million watched each episode of season seven so far. Obviously HBO have more shows that attract subscribers, but the growth in viewing numbers from around two million for season one to over ten million for season seven, has to have been a huge boost to their income. They reported net income of over half a billion dollars in the first quarter of this year.

They're making money, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Great episode. I'll miss grandma tyrell.

Why the beef between melissandre and Varys? He seems to have major issues with her. Right she was on team Stannis but as pointed out last episode, Varys flip flopped a lot in the past too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement