Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mikes prime was probably around Holmes, Spinks, Bruno 1 ,he was between 215 to 218 ,

Even when himself & Evander fought twice after prison way after his prime both weighed less than Usyk in his prime a HW , Mike after the second fight was gone just a shell of his former self

Usyk prime at HW is recently weighing between 220 - 223lbsl

Not sure why your bothering ,what i said is correct

Usyk is a bigger man in his prime at HW than both Mike & Evander ,height & weight wise

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What you said is NOT correct.

You are now picking a fight where Tyson weighed 215 lbs. Ok, so I can pick a fight at HW where Usyk weighed 215 lbs…Chaz Whiterspoon

You are tying yourself up in knots. I will agree Usyk taller, but not bigger….and Tyson has weighed heavier than Usyk has weighed at HW. Aged 33/34 he was 225 lbs in a fight.

No idea why you can't juts admit that both men similar weights at HW….Key diff is that Mike was 220 and above in his prime years and his out of prime years….

Also, you need to factor in (but you won't) that Tyson weighed in in underwear and was 220 and 221. Usyk wearing 3-4 lbs on him weighing 223

No i picked his prime

In Usyk's best wins at HW he weighed more than Mike Tyson did in his best wins at HW,

Usyk was a bigger HW in his prime than Mike was in his prime …FACTS

Yes they are similar weights but Usyk is the bigger prime HW

Love how you completely dropped Evander as you can try twist that one at all

I didn't drop Evander. I focused on Mike. Evander and Usyk same height, and Evander has been close to 220 lbs at similar ages. Also, Usyk aged mid 20s was still an amateur below 200 lbs.

Anyway, silly you even bringing both men up to begin with.

Your take here trying to say Usyk is bigger than Mike has been clearly shown to be incorrect. And you then wanted to pick a fight or two where Mike was 215-218, ignoring that he was 220 and above during prime years, and 220 and above during out of prime years. And now bringing up "best" wins as some way to try show Usyk bigger. It's nonsense. Tyson unified the HW title in one his best wins v Tucker in 1987. He was above 220 lbs…aged 21!!

And even if I had to concede, you're basing it of a lb here and there throughout years, as well as a lb here and there where one man is clearly wearing lbs of clothes compared to another. It really is that silly

Oh, and just one stat: Aged 21 in 2008 a 21 year old Usyk weighed 178 lbs

A 21 year old Mike Tyson weighed 221 lbs in August 1987 in his underwear.

A 37 year old Usyk weighed 223 lbs wearing pants and chain in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Lads why does it matter so much to you both if Usyk was bigger than Holyfield or Tyson? I don’t get why that’s important in the context of this fight.

We’ve not yet moved on to the fantasy match ups (or moved back to them) and I think there’s more to unpick from this fight yet. I’m going to watch it again this evening. I think even in the rounds where Fury did his best work Usyk still dictated the terms. For instance in 6 the last 30 seconds of the round Usyk was the one throwing. Fury just couldn’t get him off.

“Don’t be afraid, I won’t leave you alone…” Great line and Usyk knew he had Fury’s number. Even in round 1 when Fury was arshin about the mask slipped. He was uncomfortable throughout. He never went to stamp authority on the match either when in the ascendancy or late on. All the things I expected him to do where AJ came unstuck, he had the same shortcomings. Usyk took his soul. I will give it to him that he hung in there in 10 but that’s it. 116-112 and very unlucky not to score the KO win. No one is asking Fury could you have had him out of there.

Well, that is what I said…I said Usyk clearly smaller than Fury, which he is, and this was met with "but he's bigger than Mike and Evander." No idea why them names brought up in relation to the point I made

Big view and opinion I got was that Fury was never winning and Usyk never losing. The whole flow was Usyk in charge and winning, and Fury just barely keeping up, trying not to lose…that was pretty much the whole narrative of the fight. Usyk looked more the winner and comfortable throughout.

Any fights between late 1986 up to and including Buster. He had a prime window of 3-4 years. Personally I think his best ever physical performance (where I’d choose him in a fantasy fight) is November, 1986 v Berbick. Great performances v Pinky and Tucker as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

comfortable throughout, thats a stretch, he looked distinctly uncomfortable for about 3 rounds.

But when you look at points where Fury had success, very quickly, Usyk nullified it and reset. So, yes.. throughout he was always comfortable.

i disagree

eddie hearn said after it in his opinion it was a fury master class for the first half of the fight and he thought he was going to get a stoppage.

Eddie is a clown when it suits you, but now quoting him here to bolster Fury.

Come on…..masterclass? Absolute nonsense. It was 3-3 after 6 for a lot of people, and describing Fury being pushed back most that 18 minutes as a masterclass is Hearn spoofing

Kind reminds me the guff you used to hear when Floyd would be doing eff all but not getting hit, with next to no offence, and the pundits wetting their jocks praising him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

And it was only 3 rounds he was uncomfortable in. He was pretty comfortable for the rest of the rounds.

And he was comfortable for parts these 3 rds as well. Not at all like he was dominated in them. Fury had some good moments, but Usyk bounced back all the time

not sure ive slagged eddie off that much, i quite like him, just giving you another perspective.

I guess I wasn't meant to mean you, directly. I phrased that incorrectly.

Anyway, to suggest what he did is just stupid….are you in agreement with him here?

Just a hint, that you don't need to take. But a masterclass to me is Floyd-Gatti, Toney-Barkley, Hagler-Minter et al.

Your just being silly now, Usyk was in big trouble in 6 &7 he was becoming unravelled , He was struggling in there ,

He didn't start asking for the cross to kiss because it was easy street,

He was losing the fight on all cards up until the left hand landed in round 9

• Advertisement

yet plenty people, and some here have challenged this narrative that Usyk was ever in “big trouble.” It’s just not true, but absolute no surprise you are pushing it. You’re blaming the loss on lifestyle.. and you also think Fury won.

Your lack of objectivity when discussing Fury is too clear. I may come across harsh to you on Fury, but plenty times I have praised his boxing

And Usyk was not down on ALL cards after 8, and nor did anyone say he was on easy street. He was comfortable. More in command of the flow and action than Fury, and poured it on the last 4-5 rds as well

The decision was a 1 round decision , The fighter who won had one 10 -8 round, How in the world can you say he was in total control it makes no sense,

If round 9 was 10-9 instead of 10-8 it would have been a draw, How can you say anyone was in total control its ,makes you look down right silly ,

One judge had him losing still ,

This is why people see you as contrary, Make it make sense

Usyk was the fitter man & that got him over the line, How is that an excuse

Who said total control? Nobody, but you….

like I said, you think Fury won, so very much minority.

Herein lies the contrarian. Added to blaming the loss on everything and anything. It's you coming across contrarian here.

Lots people online and here thought a joke that any judge could score to Fury, and you want to hang this fight on that judge, and a 10-8 round. That's you being contrarian, not me.

My point is simple, and many agree. Usyk never in serious or big trouble. Never lost that fight, and was in more control throughout than Fury. Simple stuff….even compubox can tell you that.

Nobody said in total control, on easy street, one-sided….that's all made up stuff. Usyk had to work damn hard to win. And he did work damn hard, and in my view was a deserved and fairly clear winner. The judge going with Fury was a bad call. Heaps folks had it 8-4 in rounds. That is fairly accurate, and fairly clear. Yes, official cards closer.

in round 7 Fury caught Usyk twice and did make him go backwards. The last minute of the round Usyk stung him twice and had him blinking hard. 7 for me was a 10-10 so at that point the fight was a draw 67 each

Round 5 I counted 4 low shots from Fury.

Round 8 for me was the winning of the fight. Usyk hammered fury 4 or 5 times including that venomous one that opened Fury’s nose. Fury wasn’t careless Usyk was just so good and accurate

Don't be silly. It was Fury's "lifestyle" that led to all this….couldn't resist.😉

at the beginning of 9 Fury’s face is a bloody mess. He tries some grab & uppercut roughhouse tactics and then he’s running scared. Usyk batters him. Lovely sneaky right hook drew a nod of appreciation from Fury. Ref right to count and right to allow fury to continue. He had to take him by the hand back to his corner.
    Usyk moves 4 ahead by the end of the 10th as Fury clings on, offering little offence (understandably)

In 10 a few wild swings with the left miss from Usyk.
    commentators assert that Fury needs 11&12 & a knockdown, maybe 2.

Fury takes 11 by a whisker but looked vulnerable throughout after the first minute in the round.
    3 in it. Fury’s corner have a nightmare as all one thousand of them give him the yes he so sorely doesn’t need.

in the 12 Fury looks to hold and spoil. Usyk with a couple and fury responds from the back foot. Usyk gets him in the corner, Fury clings on for dear life and Usyk shrugs him off before landing a sharp left.

Two good rights from Usyk and fury lands the best shot of the round with a good right. Last 30 seconds and a very tired fury showboats and then spoils, Usyk still chasing and landing.

Viewers and commentators both gave 11 to Usyk while I have it fury. 12 for me was 10-10 so 115-112 with a generous 11 and a12 for fury.

Stop saying this was a one round fight you know far too much to be at that nonsense. Usyk won clearly and well. Had Fury engaged he’d have been stopped. I’d say a gulf but not a chasm.
    that’s me for a while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Any of the knowledgeable posters here know the exact specifics for the rules around the ropes/corner holding up a clearly struggling boxer.

For example do the boxers legs have to buckle before the ref steps in?

Just on my viewing of the 9th there's maybe 2 or 3 occasions where the ref could have stepped in and gave a standing 8 count to Fury before he actually did, if it weren't for the ropes he'd have definitely been on the broad of his back however the ref didn't until his legs began to buckle.

Just an interesting thought that had fury got his 8 count sooner Usyk would then have actually had time to get after him again with fury actually somewhat upright rather than flailing around the ring like a ragdoll which inadvertently allowed fury to avoid a few big shots.

Advertisement