Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,081 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s not really bickering. Just educated and robust debate and analysis

Btw, who you thought won?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think that's as ready / good as fury was going to be, game plan was off or his execution was off but he was in good shape, someone made a good point that he was better off in the US against Wilder as his dad wasn't allowed travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,103 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I don’t think there’s any debate on who won the fight

The internet isn’t for everyone

Well, yourdeadwright thought Fury did. There’s one!!!

• Advertisement

I posted either here or on the other thread I thought fury was doing very well until Usyk caught him with the left hook and fury did the river dance around the ring and he didn’t win a round after that. I can’t work I out why fury didn’t go for the kill when he had Usyk hurt early on but it’s easy to say that sitting on the sofa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Fury’s tactics were very peculiar. Surely they didn’t think his best bet was to keep retreating to the ropes and corners. At no point did I see his corner going mad at him for leaving the gameplan. I expected him to hold the centre and fire out lots of long range jabs. Usyk could get around plenty of those but he was getting around Fury not throwing. The stats implied that Fury did throw plenty but a lot from the back foot. That doesn’t cut it. Why didn’t he tie Usyk up and lean on him? What an advantage that was. He tied him up once after catching him clean and Usyk used the chance to wipe and shake his head. Several times he was standing there with one hand on the rope. That wasn’t going to help. After going down in 9 and surviving 10 then arguably winning 11 surely his corner should have been screaming at him to commit and go for it. The very best they could hope for was kind judges giving him a narrow defeat or draw. Usyk forced the issue and went home with it all.

Watched it again. Rds 1-3 Usyk, 4-7 Fury and 8-12 Usyk. 116-111.. very good fight. Plenty Fury bombs he threw missed my millimetres. Usyk follow up towards end rd 9 very impressive.

always a good take from dom ingle

He should have had another hour’s sleep. Nowhere near enough credit for Usyk there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GHendrix

I think Fury was just genuinely really comfortable in there for the first half of the fight. Nothing Usyk threw was doing much damage and he took over and started dominating and eventually hurt Usyk badly.

I think he thought more of the same was all he needed. But I was screaming for him to move forward and get Usyk out of there.

I’d say he’s kicking himself today that he didn’t press harder at that point

Very best argument I could make for him was 114. Very lowest score for Usyk was 116. Ingle spouting that the Fury gameplan was working. It was terrible. He had no real belief. He looked like a fool with the showboating and pretending he wasnt affected by punches. Usyk hit him with several shots that he didn’t even see or know where he was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭selectamatic

People who are badly hurt usually end up taking an 8 count.

Usyk was never badly hurt last night.

He was troubled/hurt by a few good shots yes but it's an exaggeration to say he was badly hurt.

His jaw looks pretty sound too so it must be a very minor break or most likely a fracture or heavy bruising.

this Usyk badly hurt is just not true.

On his jaw. Yes, no real swelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

O usyk eyes cut early ish, cant remember what round and fury wasn't able to capitalise on it either I'm presuming it was the upper cut that landed well that damaged his jaw but unlike a lot of boxers I didn't notice him in any discomfort at any point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Augme

As soon as Fury ring walk unfolded I was worried for him. Having all his teams around him blowing smoke up is ass, seeing him dancing around and then his antics as the fight started. Add in the fact his last major fight was in 2021 against Wilder. Since then he's faced Whyte, Chisoria and Nganou, all awful fights in prepation for an event like last night.

I think he drastically under estimated Usyk and the occasion. Last night was a war, it was an occasion where the winner would have to push themselves to reach a level they possibly haven't ever been before. I very much got the sense Fury just didn't realise or prepare properly for that.

He was deservedly lost last night, but I wouldnt rule him out the next time. If he goes in.with a better attitude and better preparation it could be an real classic too.

Poor Fury. If only his corner had told him he was “down” going into the last round, he would have went out and finished Usyk.

Deluded whinger. Between the above and Usyk winning because of the war..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched it there. 115-112 I had it, a very lucky boy that fight wasn't stopped in round 9.

Delighted for usyk, an incredible fighter, man has won everything he competed in professionally and amateur.

He put a hurting on fury and fury just didn't have the heart for it. Pissing around fighting no one all these years he's past it.

It’s pissing me off a bit the amount of people talking about how hurt Fury had Usyk. He landed a shot, a good shot. He had to retreat into the corner. 3 seconds later he had danced away from Fury and 30 seconds later Fury hadn’t a puff. Fury wasnt at all a match for Usyk last night. His tactics were poor, his conditioning finally caught up with him and he was on the backfoot all night. 115 is very harsh on Usyk and 112 is a gift for Fury.

In the 9th he got I make it 18 seconds and then the minute to recover. Very lucky with that. Usyk had Fury properly hurt, almost knocked him out. Fury landed a few times and didn’t come even close to having him in real bother.

Yup. Plenty of it here. I thought I’d watched a different fight. Usyk wasn’t close to proper hurt. Some a the searching for Fury positives, as well as finding excuses for why he performed how he did is just silly.

I’ll give you your dues: you’re a Fury fan, but about as realistic and objective as can be

• Advertisement

Thank you! What’s the point of arguing something that’s just not there. You can’t wish a different outcome. Fury was wrong to yap about thinking he’d won and mentioning even the war but he took it fairly well and didn’t make excuses. HE deserves loads of credit for coming back from that kd and I thought he scored a 10 in the 11th. I’ll have to watch it back another time. The silliness of trying to equate Fury catching Usyk with the demolition in the 9th is deluded in the extreme.

I’ve always enjoyed Fury. In this fight I was firmly with Usyk for a number of reasons but I don’t feel my own preference clouded my judgement. It’s such an easy argument for Usyk to have won compared to this draw nonsense. That says it all.

I'd have to disagree on Fury didn't make excuses.

He said he thought he won, and that Usyk won because of the war. That's a blatant excuse for his loss. In other words, they only gave Usyk the win because Ukraine is at war.

Then he said had he known he was down in the fight going into rd 12 he would have stopped Usyk. Another excuse. Had I been given the correct info I would have stopped Usyk. Deluded. And wait for it, it's not 24 hours yet….there will be more excuses!!!

Boxers are full of excuses for losses…he's not alone.

He was visibly hurt in the ring and looked in a bad way. He went to hospital after the fight also to get scans on his jaw.

People that aren’t injured don’t go to hospitals

You do realize even an innocuous punch can break your jaw?

I had jaw broken in one my most comfortable wins as an amateur. Proper broken. I wasn’t dropped, rocked, hurt.. and I know the exact punch that did it.

Your point here in no way shows Usyk was “badly” hurt. Because he wasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya the country at war excuse was pretty pathetic. In the presser afterwards Warren basically said boxers immediately after a fight might say stuff that the wouldn't on reflection or words to that effect.

Fury also mentioned about Usyk size after the fight was over. He does know that it was him that needed the standing count and not Usyk 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone else think if it were Usyk that were rocked in round 9 and wobbled the way Fury did, the ref would have stopped it? I reckon he would have.

I'm delighted for Usyk. Well deserved win.

I don’t know what more to tell you. There is footage of him getting help walking after the fight. He went to the hospital for scans on his jaw with a suspected broken jaw because his jaw was hurting him. He posted a pic himself of his busted face after the fight.

I don’t know why it’s so hard to admit that he was hurt. If Fury had rushed in and hit him with another shot he would have been in huge trouble…

Nobody said Fury didn’t hurt Usyk. There is a silly and untrue narrative here that Usyk was badly hurt in the fight. He was not.

Only one incident in the fight of badly hurt, and that was Fury almost out in rd 9. Very hurt, ready to go, and extremely lucky the bell rang, giving him about 75 seconds until rd 10 action began.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

One thing for sure Fury needs to tell his dad and the other yes men to stay away during his preparation for the rematch. His dad really does him no favors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Was anyone suprised the time usyk nearly had fury down he held back before the ref intervened. He could have hit him a few more times

Advertisement