Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Most people can outbox Joe too a point & then his style brings him back into a fight ,which i believe would happen against AJ

The issue with Joe is as iv said here before you cant fight like that forever , once you get hurt or stopped its more likely to happen again & again with his style, At 38 he needs to fight ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, you’re really gambling on AJ tiring/folding down the stretch.

But what about the possible damage and hurt he could inflict on a desperately poor defender like Joe?

I reckon AJknocks him out early or he stops him mid rds due to Joe being bashed. Possible referee/doctor scenario again.

Yes i think Joe beats him ,keeps walking him down & stops him late

You seem to forget how AJ fights now, he is afraid of his life of talking shots & scared stiff of getting tired ,

AJ can NOT fight like Zhang did, he won't fight at that pace early on he is to afraid to ,He won't land the shot Zhang did . 1 , He won't throw that many ,2 He won't stay in range,

Zhang hedged his bets on stopping Joyce early ,Joes poor start & eye injury meant it paid off ,

Zhang didn’t actually do too much. The way you’re describing it you’d swear he was a prime Tyson. He simply threw some cleanly delivered shots and guess what? Joe’s face took them. Zhang was very casual and poised. Nothing hectic at all.

You hit the mail on the head ,You could say relaxed & composed , AJ hasn't looked that way in a long time

Only time wil tell ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Joshua Joyce is a year away at least. Joshua gets a title shot if he wants it by standing still because he’s still a big draw. Why fight Joyce? He wont fight Usyk again so maybe he will wait to see if someone else can beat him and then he fights for unified. Otherwise the fight with Fury is still there so that might be December’s work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

actually getting beaten could work in Joyces favour in getting a bigger fight, he stock has fallen as a danger but it would sell well as a PPV in the UK/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Was thinking the same myself, he’s not as much of a wild card now and the blue print for how to beat him is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Hrgovic was strange in the Zhang fight, stood there hands down eating punches at times like there was something wrong with him.

You’re overegging this. Fair enough , AJ has looked cautious and timid, but he can still throw heavy punches, and as soon as he does, and realizes how easily Joyce is to tag, it may well be just the remedy to allow him throw very freely and commited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

He came out yesterday and said that was his worst performance ever and he would go again in China and knock him out this time

The internet isn’t for everyone

He hasn’t fought since either I think there was a bit of craic about Ruiz but it didn’t come about anyhow. Strange he’s not keeping too active. His behaviour was very peculiar in the Zhang fight. Didn’t look interested

I have to say, when I read "do you fancy meeting up" I wasn't expecting it to finish with "and we'll get an IQ test done" haha.

Hundreds of millions of people have a degree. A degree is not a symbol of intelligence. I'm a qualified solicitor, does that mean I have a higher IQ than the fella in the chipper? Of course not.

If your ego is that bruised, sure we can try arrange an IQ test and 'the loser' donates to a charity of 'the winners' choice.

A degree in art sounds great but has anyone seen his paintings ? They might be better now with his eye closed lol

on a serious note I hope he’s okay after being pummelled Saturday night

Lads your allowed have different opinions its the whole idea of the forum,

We are calling fights between two people , you might know two fighters strengths & weakness inside out & then one just decides its not his night, So we will all get calls wrong ,

Keep it civil the forums always been good & nice to hear everyone's opinion no matter how crazy they may same,

Calling for IQ tests is bizarre surely given the forum a spar would be much better, ...............i'm joking

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Butson

Joyce has terrible head movement but wow, those left hands from Zhang...ouch!

Fast and nasty.

It's very bizarre indeed and I should have ignored it.

Apologies all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fair play lads it’s great discussion and disagreement is inevitable. All opinions valued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"Let's meet up and we'll have an IQ test" is some proper internet gold I didn't expect to find here on Boards.

Fury saying the tournament in Saudi in December is in discussion. Make of that what you will, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

It’s a pity the top 10 don’t fight against each other more regularly. We all thought Joyce was ranked 3-5 before Saturday night and now Zhang is in there.

Ruiz vs the Croatian and we have another credible challenger.

They might not beat the top 3 or 4 lads but adds to the excitement.

Had a listen to Peter Fury there and he’s adamant that Joyce should take the rematch. I dont really see what tune up fights do for him. If he were to fight Whyte or someone of that level then ok but some knock over is pointless. Even Joshua was braver than that. More top 10 fights would be fantastic. If fights weren’t so hard to match then we’d have more title challenges but so many governing bodies mean that rankings can be any which way and champions can fight duds rather than the best challengers. Frustrating.

peter fury is funny, "he doesnt need to grow another arsehole hes 37 lets get cracking"

Haha yea I liked that one myself. I find him much more endearing than John. Actually find him and Tyson quite similar.

Tuneup fight an utter waste a time and space. Get straight back in. It’s not like he has 4-5 years left. He’s probably got 4-5 fights left. All he needs is one fooking instruction to give himself a chance……………………?…..

Yep agreed. Bunce saying to avoid Zhang… what does that say about him. It’s a huge fight in China or anywhere else, even USA. It’s by far the biggest fight out there for him and the easiest to make. He should have the rematch. Other than that at the very least take on someone like Whyte who would be a game test.

So fury called bullshit on the malik Scott quote and George Warren also said they know nothing about it when he spoke to the boxing media

Fury has no intention of boxing AJ or Usyk any time soon.

• Advertisement

You think not? I think he’s at his very best at the moment. I dont know why he would put them off. Something not adding up for me. He fought two turkeys to keep active and then a whole load of nothing and delaying tactics.

Advertisement