Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Could go for another 10 rounds and Lartey still wouldn't connected with anything meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

Lartey just far too crude, misses a lot, throws with no setup and sometimes the shots he does land are very slappy. If he'd move his head and jab a bit he'd be a lot more dangerous.

Gorman did what he had to do but it wasn't anything to write home about. He'd seriously want to sort the diet and strength and conditioning if he plans on going anywhere in the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

weemcd wrote: »
    Lartey just far too crude, misses a lot, throws with no setup and sometimes the shots he does land are very slappy. If he'd move his head and jab a bit he'd be a lot more dangerous.

Yeah Lartey was a great trier, but far too predictable. Gorman had him worked out early, and was on top the rest of the fight. Gorman could do worse that get David Haye in to train him. Could you imagine what he would look like if he was on the David Haye fight diet for six months.

Very unfair on Andrew Robinson. Liam Williams is allowed to just header him and there is no action taken. The non British fighter in the previous fight got a warning for using his head for far less.

Yeah Lartey was a great trier, but far too predictable. Gorman had him worked out early, and was on top the rest of the fight. Gorman could do worse that get David Haye in to train him. Could you imagine what he would look like if he was on the David Haye fight diet for six months.

Gorman in top shape could do damage. His trainer isn't even licensed as a pro so he really needs to improve his setup. He could do a lot worse than Haye, he was always in tip top shape any time I saw him fight. Do you think Haye was putting himself in the shop window to train Gorman?

• Advertisement

He could do a lot worse than Haye, he was always in tip top shape any time I saw him fight. Do you think Haye was putting himself in the shop window to train Gorman?

No, that was just me putting that forward. But Haye made a very good point about when he lost to Carl Thompson. He said that it was a wake up call for him that he simply needed to work harder. And he feels that Gorman did not take similar lessons from his loss. He came in to the next fight, tonight, massively overweight, albeit he did win quite comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Who could Fury fight in December? Him and Joshua next summer is really one to look forward to, no interest in him an Wilder again

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1315547003657494528?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

US2 wrote: »
    Who could Fury fight in December? Him and Joshua next summer is really one to look forward to, no interest in him an Wilder again

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1315547003657494528?s=19

I just hope now we get Fury v AJ next spring or early next summer,
    Wouldn't it just be life if AJ now goes and gets beat by Pulev

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭squinn2912

No, that was just me putting that forward. But Haye made a very good point about when he lost to Carl Thompson. He said that it was a wake up call for him that he simply needed to work harder. And he feels that Gorman did not take similar lessons from his loss. He came in to the next fight, tonight, massively overweight, albeit he did win quite comfortably.

Raging I missed that card now. Gorman will float about second tier or British level for a while and then be like Chisora possibly and have a late run in his career but he’s never going to be world level.

Seems Fury v Wilder is off. Fury to fight someone in the top 10 while AJ fights Pulev.

Provided a) they both win and b) Wilder is out of the picture, there's really no reason why Fury and AJ can't get it on next year? Although, that does sound a bit naive on my part... there's always something...

• Advertisement

Seems Fury v Wilder is off. Fury to fight someone in the top 10 while AJ fights Pulev.

Provided a) they both win and b) Wilder is out of the picture, there's really no reason why Fury and AJ can't get it on next year? Although, that does sound a bit naive on my part... there's always something...

Glad Fury v Aj looks closer than ever ,but a little peeved I really wanted to see how on earth Wilder could show up to a pre fight press conference for the 3rd Fury fight and not end up falling apart,

All the bomb squad (nonsense) and I brought a big Alabama hammer and 9 inch nails to keep you down this time and then he go and gets assaulted for 6 rounds and comes up with the worst excuse in boxing History , Id have love to see him come face to face with Fury again , what would he said or done ,

He's taking an easy and clever way out here, keep putting the fight off , keep changing dates and he knew eventually the deal for the rematch would expire and Fury would move on ,

He is still saying " oh I want the fight , i'll take him to court " trying to make it look like its Fury fault to save face absolute **** show from Wilder

Glad Fury v Aj looks closer than ever ,but a little peeved I really wanted to see how on earth Wilder could show up to a pre fight press conference for the 3rd Fury fight and not end up falling apart,

All the bomb squad (nonsense) and I brought a big Alabama hammer and 9 inch nails to keep you down this time and then he go and gets assaulted for 6 rounds and comes up with the worst excuse in boxing History , Id have love to see him come face to face with Fury again , what would he said or done ,

He's taking an easy and clever way out here, keep putting the fight off , keep changing dates and he knew eventually the deal for the rematch would expire and Fury would move on ,

He is still saying " oh I want the fight , i'll take him to court " trying to make it look like its Fury fault to save face absolute **** show from Wilder

I think Wilder has used every excuse under the sun, including firing his trainer, rather than actually own up and say Fury won fair and square. He was the better man on the night, that's it and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

It was the costume lads .

I think Wilder has used every excuse under the sun, including firing his trainer, rather than actually own up and say Fury won fair and square. He was the better man on the night, that's it and that's that.

His brother posted in the summer
    "it was discovered by doctors that my brother has a dent in the side of his head due to blunt object that stuck against his head from the last fight ,No glove or fist was able to cause the damage according to the autopsy, "

Firstly a dent ? So had he a skull fractur or does he have some kind of carbon fibre head that you just go knock the dents out of :D

Secondly the autopsy ? no wonder there is no third fight as he died :D

I really am disgusted we won't see Fury rip him apart in a pre fight press conference it would have been comedy gold

I feel kinda sorry for wilder. He has nowhere to go on this. The fact is though that a third match could yet go either way. Fury never fought as good a fight and no guarantees he’d be as good again. Wilder froze too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I feel kinda sorry for wilder. He has nowhere to go on this. The fact is though that a third match could yet go either way. Fury never fought as good a fight and no guarantees he’d be as good again. Wilder froze too

Alternatively in the first fight he got fury at a good time and still couldn't get the job done (and was lucky to get a draw), with fury firing on all cylinders he got a proper beating and being honest I’d suggest that it has had a profound effect on him . He would be better rebuilding and going again , another beating like last time ends his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,775 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cyrus wrote: »
    Alternatively in the first fight he got fury at a good time and still could get the job done (and was lucky to get a draw), with fury firing on all cylinders he got a proper beating and being honest I’d suggest that it has had a profound effect on him . He would be better rebuilding and going again , another beating like last time ends his career.

I rewatched the second fight and I agree with this, the only way Wilder could beat Fury in another bout is if Fury doesn't turn up mentally, which is entirely outside of Wilder's control. Fury takes the fight seriously, he'll win - he utterly dominated the 2nd fight.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I rewatched the second fight and I agree with this, the only way Wilder could beat Fury in another bout is if Fury doesn't turn up mentally, which is entirely outside of Wilder's control. Fury takes the fight seriously, he'll win - he utterly dominated the 2nd fight.

Don’t get me wrong lads my pick would be fury too but I do see a case where wilder could win. A bit like the second fight. The indications are that wilder will do well to recover mentally, no part of his game plan worked so he needs a brand new one, fury is Bigger stronger quicker better... Wilder does have that massive punch but landing it wouldn’t be easy. His best bet might be to throw those bombs from the off but if fury can avoid them he’d be in for an embarrassing time. The alternative is to go back down a level, that could go wrong and it won’t be for a big payday

• Registered Users Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have people suddenly dismissed Fury being dropped several times in his career, as well as twice in Wilder 1; where he was on the canvas for 10 seconds?

Have people also suddenly forgot that Wilder can punch very hard?

No issue with anyone thinking Fury can win. Of course he can, and has already; but it’s not at all silly to think that Wilder could knock him out..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wilder would have a punchers chance no doubt, he hasn't lost the dynamite but I do think it's probably best for his career to duck Fury and step down a level or two.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Wilder would have a punchers chance no doubt, he hasn't lost the dynamite but I do think it's probably best for his career to duck Fury and step down a level or two.

I don’t agree with that at all. Where does he step down to? Ko an idiot like Charles Martin? What does that prove? He might lose to a number of the lower down guys then his career is finished. The career move is to take the third fight Nd at least have the puncher’s chance. I think he has a bit more of a chance than that. I think he has a good chance vs aj. If he hides now then he has no business at the top end

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I don’t agree with that at all. Where does he step down to? Ko an idiot like Charles Martin? What does that prove? He might lose to a number of the lower down guys then his career is finished. The career move is to take the third fight Nd at least have the puncher’s chance. I think he has a bit more of a chance than that. I think he has a good chance vs aj. If he hides now then he has no business at the top end

Think it's best if he avoids Fury as he's all wrong for him.

Maybe someone like a dell boy and then go after Dillon Whyte, could set him up for a mega fight vs AJ. Who knows when Fury AJ will happen, Wilder could get there first.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think it's best if he avoids Fury as he's all wrong for him.

Maybe someone like a dell boy and then go after Dillon Whyte, could set him up for a mega fight vs AJ. Who knows when Fury AJ will happen, Wilder could get there first.

I get what you mean but I don’t think he can go rebuilding. I’d understand a warm up fight against a can like what many have done with all the regulations... but going the delboy route he may as well save us all the bother and retire. I think he should take the fury fight and make his money. He can fight differently and hope for an off night from fury, freak cut or he connects with a bomb, all very plausible. If he loses and aj were to beat fury then he’d still be an attractive option for aj, even more so. That takes him 2 years down the line and it’s two title fights if he goes B level then he’s ducked fury and that’s a terribly weak starting point for negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cyrus wrote: »
    Alternatively in the first fight he got fury at a good time and still couldn't get the job done (and was lucky to get a draw), with fury firing on all cylinders he got a proper beating and being honest I’d suggest that it has had a profound effect on him . He would be better rebuilding and going again , another beating like last time ends his career.

Yes. I think despite all his bluster about wanting the third fight, he did not agree a date because he knows deep down he was well beaten and the same could well happen again. Wilder should look at fighting the winner of the rematch between Whyte and Povetkin.

Yes. I think despite all his bluster about wanting the third fight, he did not agree a date because he knows deep down he was well beaten and the same could well happen again. Wilder should look at fighting the winner of the rematch between Whyte and Povetkin.

Why do that? That’s a huge step backwards and no certainty of winning it either. He was prepared to fight povetkin 4/5 years ago in Russia only ap failed a drugs test. Taking a fight against the winner there is acknowledging he doesn’t belong at the top table. Right now he still has that option

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why do that? That’s a huge step backwards and no certainty of winning it either. He was prepared to fight povetkin 4/5 years ago in Russia only ap failed a drugs test. Taking a fight against the winner there is acknowledging he doesn’t belong at the top table. Right now he still has that option

Well who else is there for him to fight at the top table, Povetkin and Whyte are the next best thing. It can be a confidence builder for him, if he belongs at the top he should be able to beat either man.

The top table is really only Wilder/AJ and Fury

Remove Wilder and it is AJ and Fury

Povetkin/Whyte/Ruiz/Parker....Usyk yet to engage and make a mark....

It's slim pickings........

Wilder can't fight Fury or AJ, then he is left with the scraps below......

walshb wrote: »
    The top table is really only Wilder/AJ and Fury

Remove Wilder and it is AJ and Fury

Povetkin/Whyte/Ruiz/Parker....Usyk yet to engage and make a mark....

It's slim pickings........

Wilder can't fight Fury or AJ, then he is left with the scraps below......

Personally I think Aj and Wilder should be the same level,

Both have a defeat

Wilders was against the top of the pile

AJ was against a third tier heavy weight but he now has the belts again ,
    I'd say that balances them out ,Obviously AJ drawing power gives him more of a say

Personally I think Aj and Wilder should be the same level,

Both have a defeat

Wilders was against the top of the pile

AJ was against a third tier heavy weight but he now has the belts again ,
    I'd say that balances them out ,Obviously AJ drawing power gives him more of a say

Well then we have no table

AJ comfortably avenged the defeat....

Fury has a blemish as well.....a draw.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭blade1

walshb wrote: »

AJ comfortably avenged the defeat....

I wouldn't go that far.
    Didn't look to comfortable to me anyway.

Advertisement