Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and Depop/Reselling gifted merch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wasn't there a situation on the other thread where Fairy was gifted a dress from a small boutique that has since closed and she resold it on depop and gave no credit to the shop or owner? Some details may need clarifying there but I'm positive that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

anna080 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a situation on the other thread where Fairy was gifted a dress from a small boutique that has since closed and she resold it on depop and gave no credit to the shop or owner? Some details may need clarifying there but I'm positive that happened.
    Here's that post from the other thread..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102705394&postcount=1488

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ray37 wrote: »
    MUF is always selling over the odds for her pre worn unwashed gear. She's deletes all the comments when people ask her about it, she's forever doing it. She said before she sells it because 'as a blogger I can't wear the same thing twice'. People who see her a role model need a reality check, she's only interested in rinsing her followers for evert cent she can get.
    Referring to your point which I have bolded above - there are many young girls selling their worn once clothes on Depop, in their mid to late teens, selling outfits from the likes of Boohoo, Misguided, PLT etc. All majorly posing in their photos with duck faces, etc and saying "only worn once", "I only wear outfits once". I think this follows on from bloggers. When I was a teen (showing my age now!) I wore some of my going out clothes to death, I couldn't afford to have a new outfit every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I don't mind bloggers selling off items they have been sent. I would imagine many of them are sent far more than they are able to even open. I've seen bloggers being sent multiples of products, eg both from the brand and from pr companies. I remember a good while ago Rimmel sending one of each shade of some new foundation to a blogger, that was so wasteful as only one or two shades would have matched her and then the rest going to waste.
    Likewise with new lip releases, all bloggers are all sent the same shades and no thought is given by brands or pr what actually suits people, it's just like a scatter gun rather than targeted.

If bloggers sold products which they felt didn't suit them shade wise, something they had a duplicate of, something that didn't suit their skin/hair type, something they knew they wouldn't get use out of or something which they didn't like in their own opinion but other might like it - when why not let someone have it through Depop - BUT they shouldn't be profiting from it - they should be selling it at a price that covers their postage, packaging and depop fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The descriptions they give are even worse. I've seen so many ads with such vague descriptions such as "sexy slinky black dress".. No mention of size, brand, how many times it was worn, big fit, small fit, length, etc. Anyone that queries in the comments beneath is ignored. I don't know how the people buying the stuff do so so blindly, they have no idea what they're getting!

One blogger in particular never mentioned the size of her clothes on any platform, but now that she's lost a bit its all "this is just a size 10, just picked up this piece in a size 10". So annoying.

I won't even start on my opinion on selling gifted items. Nothing disgusts me more than fleecing followers for profit, its actually shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Like Lindy said they should at least mention the company! A lot if you look at the depop won't say when asked where the item is from! I'm sure it's partly to do with affiliate links?

Completely agree whiteroses how can you buy something when you don't know the size???!!! Mad! Wonder do some people just buy Cos it was owned by a blogger!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think it's awful to sell ANYTHING you've been given for free. It's just, crass. Do a giveaway and give back to the people who have supported you and helped you raise your profile. You're not losing out by giving back.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I could be wrong but I think just jordan give her stuff to charity? Definitely makeup anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

mod Jurgen Klopp, name-calling is not on (dirt bag). Don't do it again.

Everyone else - this thread and forum is not a platform to gossip and make snide comments about bloggers. I've said before that petty digs about bloggers is not on. Warnings and bans will be given out if you can't follow the charter and engage in civilised discussion.

Your right, the poor creathurs would be in bits to hear such a horrible and upsetting comment. In fact I hope they haven't barricaded themselves inside the house amongst their hampers of dirty thongs all packaged for sale out of shock and fear over such a hurtful remark :(

Sorry

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod Jurgen Klopp is taking a two day break from the forum for ignoring mod instruction and failing to follow the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I have to say, I think to re sell any kind of gifted material is just tacky as hell. Pure greed IMO. It stinks of selfishness, and I just don't like that kind of mentality. I'm sure they have plenty of pals and family members who'd love the gear? It just doesnt sit well with me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Ray37 wrote: »
    I have to say, I think to re sell any kind of gifted material is just tacky as hell. Pure greed IMO. It stinks of selfishness, and I just don't like that kind of mentality. I'm sure they have plenty of pals and family members who'd love the gear? It just doesnt sit well with me at all.

Sell and give the money to charity or just give it to charity, but selling freebies for profit is gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I'm sure there's plenty of charity shops who'd give their left arm for gear like that, especially if they were unworn. I just can't fathom how people can sell things they were given for free, for a profit. I don't think my conscience would let me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

A charity shop would definitely love it, or even if the proceeds from Depop went to charity, that'd be lovely, and great exposure for the blogger and the brand. That being said, nobody is obligated to donate to charity, so even if they don't want to do that, I still would so much prefer to see the freebies given to family and friends. Selling freebies is just so greedy, and you can be sure if I had my own brand and I saw a gifted item of mine being sold, I would be knocking that blogger off my PR list forever, and be making it known that they were selling gifted things.

Advertisement