Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and Depop/Reselling gifted merch

Options
  • 22-07-2017 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

So a certain blogger is adding her pre worn gear that was gifted to Depop to make a few quid after it's been worn. Same blogger has sold pre worn swinwear here before, and clothing that arrived to the buyer unwashed.

What's your thoughts on this?
    Personally I find it quite tacky to sell something that was gifted to you for free...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Ewwwww pre worn swim ware and unwashed to make it even worse

She may as well sell a bag of dirty thongs the dirt bag, granted there's a market of pervs on eBay for just that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Lol Jurgen it's nasty. Now I have to say I can't say that the swimwear wasn't washed, but the dresses definitely were not. They had make up marks and smelled of perfume. Whoever is buying pre worn swimwear needs a good talking to also re hygiene!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That's disgusting. But for me it says more about the mindset of the person who's willing to buy someone's second hand, sweaty gym gear/swimwear. I wouldn't take it if she offered it for free. Bleugh.

I agree Anna, it's abslutely rotten. Same blogger has a bodysuit up for sale, that was wedged between her arse cheeks all over insta last week. I'm gagging seeing it for sale now. HOW could anyone want that? Filthy.

Ah your bad if your buying but actually selling intimate garments like swim ware or the body suit mentioned is pure bad too, I can't even think of the words to describe tbh but then again if people buy no wonder such people would sell

• Advertisement

Yeah selling is rotten. Like are you that desperate for some cash?? If so, maybe consider some part time work. Selling your pre worn gusseted gear is not cool. It makes her look so grabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ray37 wrote: »
    I agree Anna, it's abslutely rotten. Same blogger has a bodysuit up for sale, that was wedged between her arse cheeks all over insta last week. I'm gagging seeing it for sale now. HOW could anyone want that? Filthy.

Oh my god I just burst out laughing! :D
    That is HIDEOUS.
    What on earth! They must be strapped for cash

More than likely an Audi out on PCP which couldn't be afforded in the first place like a lot I know you'd swear it's mandatory drive a new Audi if you work as a make up artist, in Brown Thomas or as a hairdresser :p :pac:

Looks like a reply to another comment, maybe posted in the wrong thread?

Ray37 wrote: »
    Looks like a reply to another comment, maybe posted in the wrong thread?

No I mean if they are selling used swimwear someone said they must be very badly strapped for cash and I was making a tongue in cheek comment although you never know as I know a few already not being able to even pay the bills cause of it :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I just don't agree with bloggers selling items that they received for free.

Also I have seen people before rave about free clothes only for them to be put on drop a while later unused.

Sorry, what's put on drop mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Sorry, what's put on drop mean?

Put on Depop I think that poster means :)

I disagree with bloggers selling stuff they have received for free, they are better off doing giveaways or donating to charities, shelters etc.

Obviously swimwear, underwear, used products shouldn't be donated to those and should be kept for friends/family or whoever.

Can't imagine I'd wear a friends or family members donated boxers to me even if they were designer :p

Can't imagine I'd wear a friends or family members donated boxers to me even if they were designer :p
    :P :pac:

Sorry I meant that make up should be kept for family/friends and clothing, but undies and swimwear should be either kept or binned or something I don't know but I would be giving it away or wearing it again. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

If you think bloggers selling items on Depop that they were gifted is wrong (& I fully agree that it's wrong), what do you think of bloggers selling said gifted items for higher than the actual original/current retail price of the item being sold? I think that brings it to a whole other level of greed to do so. Fairy did it before

ratmouse wrote: »
    If you think bloggers selling items on Depop that they were gifted is wrong (& I fully agree that it's wrong), what do you think of bloggers selling said gifted items for higher than the actual original/current retail price of the item being sold? I think that brings it to a whole other level of greed to do so. Fairy did it before
    I fully agree.

I feel it shows a lack of respect frankly trying to make money off your followers, who I would assume are impressionable young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I was told one day at work i was mad to suggest they are reselling. But I was been realistic. When you think of the lifestyle some of them are having. It cant all be sponsored.

Now selling used and unwashed items are downright disrespectful to their followers and the selling sites should pull them on it.I would like to see them donate unused gift to charities for fundraising or have competitions on their pages.
    Its a gravy train that is only going to last so long so I can see how they want to cash in on the good times but if your going to do it please only used stuff. The bodysuit example makes me want to throw up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

ratmouse wrote: »
    Oh wow, I'd no idea this happened! I really dislike people selling gifted items on, but always assumed it was for a cheaper price. I mean, if they are getting it free they are making a profit regardless. But agree overall that selling these items at all is awful and as another poster said there have to be friends and family who would gladly take them, if not then to a charity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

wrong information. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mekekka

Is it the same person so who is selling items for high amounts and posting items unfit for sending/selling underwear items?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Really though who in their right mind would buy these things?! Very strange behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Mekekka wrote: »
    Is it the same person so who is selling items for high amounts and posting items unfit for sending/selling underwear items?

Yes it is, I can only guess it's young impressionable teenagers buying her stuff, the ones who are just thrilled to own something of hers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

She's selling the bodysuit and the trousers together for €35. No one has bought them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Oh I read it wrong. Going to delete my post could you delete quote? Sorry.

MUF is always selling over the odds for her pre worn unwashed gear. She's deletes all the comments when people ask her about it, she's forever doing it. She said before she sells it because 'as a blogger I can't wear the same thing twice'. People who see her a role model need a reality check, she's only interested in rinsing her followers for evert cent she can get.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

mod Jurgen Klopp, name-calling is not on (dirt bag). Don't do it again.

Everyone else - this thread and forum is not a platform to gossip and make snide comments about bloggers. I've said before that petty digs about bloggers is not on. Warnings and bans will be given out if you can't follow the charter and engage in civilised discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

I like the idea of depop and I don't see an issue with selling on your old clothes/sunglasses/handbags. It's a good way to get somethings at a really good price e.g. an expensive handbag for half the price.

But I cannot stand a lot of practices that have already been mentioned. There's a certain blogger who is absolutely desperate for huge markups on gifts, and for selling unhygienic things such as swimsuits, but she is definitely not the only one.

I think a lot of bloggers use the whole "I'm just a normal person" line to try and make it okay, but it's not, AT ALL. Some bloggers need to realise if they paint themselves as a "celeb/celebrity ambassador etc" they can't play stupid with these sorts of things and blame it on their "normal" status. It can'tbe a two-way street,you're either a "celebrity/public figure"or you're a "normal person". If you choose to label yourself as the former,you need to be able to clarify an queries and respect your audience. For the latter, you need to have enough sense to think about general hygiene!!

The most frustrating thing by far though is the lack of the ability to question any seemingly shady practices. Honesty and clarity would definitely go a long way in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I dont mind the selling on of items, so long as they have given the company who gifted them the items, a sufficient shoutout and mention, as that's why they're sent them in the first place.  Selling on freebies without referencing the suplier/vendor is really poor practice and you'd hope companies would not gift them anything again.
    They definitely play the "Normal Person" card when it suits them, but I just dont accept that, yes they are just people, as are we all but if it's their business and they make their living this way then we are not just followers, we are consumers and they have to adhere to a standard and be open to questions. Blocking people who ask you a question or going on social media crying about people being mean when they're simply asking something is hardly professional behaviour

Advertisement