Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus ATR72 Planes to Rennes in France.

Options
  • 21-07-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I see that Aer Lingus fly to Rennes airport in France. They use an ATR72 plane.
    Can anyone tell me what it is like to fly in one of these planes. I suffer from Claustrophobia and I am a bit concerned.
    Is the journey any longer because a jet aircraft is not used?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

If you suffer from claustrophobia why would you get on any aircraft? It's still a metal tube flying through the air.

There really is no difference between modern prop aircraft and them jets!

Rennes is served by Aer Lingus Regional aka Stobart Air, a franchisee and props make up the majority of their fleet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seats are 2 each side of the aisle, ride is slightly bumpier and nosier than a jet and the journey time is longer as the cruise speed is slower. However they are not tiny and are as safe as other aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Flew Cork-Southampton on one last year. No real difference really, just a bit noisier and a bit slower than a jet. Good in flight service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Stobart are perfect to fly with, although my last flight the two cabin crew looked like they were out the night before and their uniforms (consisting of a long jacket, nearly dragging along the ground) reminded me a little of the film Angela's Ashes, they were perfectly attentive, and as there's not many passengers on board don't expect a loud annoying group (from my experience anyway).

Plus I always enjoyed looking out the window of a prop more than a jet for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Plus I always enjoyed looking out the window of a prop more than a jet for some reason.

Lower cruising altitude perhaps?
    Also ATRs are high-winged, so your view down isn't blocked by the wing if you're in the middle of the cabin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

It's a a three hour flight, according to the timetable.

TBH I'd find 3 hours a bit wearing in an ATR.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,573 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cml387 wrote: »
    It's a a three hour flight, according to the timetable.

TBH I'd find 3 hours a bit wearing in an ATR.

Eh I think you need to look again. You seem to have forgotten that France is an hour ahead of us.

Therefore it's only a 2 hour flight.

Having flown several times to Jersey on the ATR (20 minutes shorter), it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

In a nutshell, if you are OK on a coach bus, you'll be fine on the ATR72 - its roomier than your average Aircoach and similar, and way more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭crisco10

I actually feel the seats have more room than the other Aer lingus short haul fleet...Although sure someone will probably know the figures and correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭VG31

crisco10 wrote: »
    I actually feel the seats have more room than the other Aer lingus short haul fleet...Although sure someone will probably know the figures and correct me!

The cabin feels more spacious as well. The lack of middle seats is certainly a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I too find flying on these aircraft pleasant and comfortable, and there is truly little or no difference to flying on a jet aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Locker10a wrote: »
    I too find flying on these aircraft pleasant and comfortable, and there is truly little or no difference to flying on a jet aircraft.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Thanks everyone. It's either fly in one of these or Ryanair to Nantes then a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Thanks everyone. It's either fly in one of these or Ryanair to Nantes then a train.

Yeah go with the atr.

As others have said, the lack of middle seats make these things feel roomy. The toilet was pretty tiny from memory so go before you fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Although......Looking at Ryanair prices to Nantes for about €28 on certain dates in September and Aer Lingus prices to Rennes of about €90........There would certainly be a financial saving using Ryanair to Nantes. The journey by train or bus from Nantes to Rennes is about 1 hour 30 minutes and costs less than €10.

The saving would allow you have a night in Nantes before moving to Rennes. I have stayed in Nantes before and it's a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

although my last flight the two cabin crew looked like they were out the night before and their uniforms (consisting of a long jacket, nearly dragging along the ground) reminded me a little of the film Angela's Ashes,

I don't think that would trigger the OP's claustrophobia though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

lxflyer wrote: »
    Eh I think you need to look again. You seem to have forgotten that France is an hour ahead of us.

Therefore it's only a 2 hour flight.

Having flown several times to Jersey on the ATR (20 minutes shorter), it's fine.
    Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I like them ATR72, there's less people, less commotion, they don't feel cramped at all, legroom is good. If you're fine on a 737, I don't think you will feel any different on an ATR..

As for the crew looking like they've been out the night before, remember that some of them work for 12-13 hours at a time, it's not that difficult to mistake the two looks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

their uniforms (consisting of a long jacket, nearly dragging along the ground) reminded me a little of the film Angela's Ashes

The wear the Aer Lingus uniform, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The ATR is pretty nice, especially the newer -600s which make up most of the fleet now. I still prefer the A320s, it's quieter and to me feels a little more spacious but the ATR is bright and airy with comfy seats and plenty of legroom. It's far superior to any Ryanair cabin on a similar flight length.

The long jacket JCX mentions was probably the seriously ugly overcoat, most of the uniform is fine but but that coat is a total 90s throwback.

• Advertisement

The ATR is pretty nice, especially the newer -600s which make up most of the fleet now. I still prefer the A320s, it's quieter and to me feels a little more spacious but the ATR is bright and airy with comfy seats and plenty of legroom. It's far superior to any Ryanair cabin on a similar flight length.

The long jacket JCX mentions was probably the seriously ugly overcoat, most of the uniform is fine but but that coat is a total 90s throwback.

I reckon Aer Lingus are going for the Guinness world record for longest current uniform... their current one has been worn now since I think 1996/7? And there's no sign of any update

Locker10a wrote: »
    I reckon Aer Lingus are going for the Guinness world record for longest current uniform... their current one has been worn now since I think 1996/7? And there's no sign of any update

Could do with an update alright. The Ryanair one is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I like the concept of the uniform, it stands out from the crowd without being garish but the cut is dated. An update can probably wait until a full rebrand is considered and that's a few years away yet I'd say.

The lav on newer delivery narrowbody jets is as small really. I can barely turn around in one if required!

L1011 wrote: »
    The lav on newer delivery narrowbody jets is as small really. I can barely turn around in one if required!

maybe you're getting bigger :pac:

Cloudio9 wrote: »

maybe you're getting bigger :pac:

No, honestly the toilets on the Airbus spaceflex are the smallest toilets I've ever experienced in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Ahaha...I thought the same last time I was in the loo on a Lufthansa A320Neo. Everyone's gonna know if you are going for a number 2...because you'd have to reverse in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

ah yes, blame your own weight gain on loos getting smaller!! :D

martinsvi wrote: »
    ah yes, blame your own weight gain on loos getting smaller!! :D

I'm a stone lighter and a jeans size smaller than a few years ago. Still some stone heavier (and amazingly only one jeans size bigger) than when I was a skinny young thing flitting back and forth to LCY on WX though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I've flown DUB to Donegal countless times in the ATR and never had a single bad experience, in fact I'd say it's probably my favorite flight. The low altitude means you can see features on the ground a lot more clearly and follow exactly where you are and also get a great view of cloudscapes. There's also the fast service and the novelty factor of being in a much smaller plane. Only issue I've ever had is a sore neck from looking out the window the whole flight :D

You might be a bit nervous at first with the small size and the noise of the propellors but it's perfectly fine

Advertisement