Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in TV

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 354 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Who is someone you inexplicably can't stand?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

AH MOD: Hi TV Mods, I tried merging this with your RIP thread but it didn't work. I think it'd fit better here, seeing the contents. Hope that's ok. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anne Heche and Gordon Pinsent missing from Oscar's In Memoriam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And Charlbi Dean, according to the web.

(Great. Boards post duplicating feature is back.)

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Possibly due to the behaviour of Heche on the day she died ? Just guessing though….A serious amount of good fortune is the absolute sole reason nobody else was killed or injured, she destroyed someone’s home with them present inside and beforehand was involved in two deliberate hit and runs with other motor vehicles.

Possibly, but the others?

(Also - hello, fellow insomniac...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sizemore has been in a lot of sheet, multiple convictions for domestic abuse on multiple partners over a long timeframe, im reading he has some unproven allegations of sexual molestation of an 11 year old girl… an unsavoury fellow unfortunately.

morning, insomniac 🖐️

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Gordon Pinsent & Tom Sizemore only died in the last two weeks or so, so maybe there's a cut off date before the Oscar's. But Charlbi Dean, Paul Sorvino and Anne Heche there's no excuse, they died in the middle of last year.

I can't see allegations of domestic abuse or sexual molestation of children get them excluded from the Oscar's Memoriam, when they were still getting work in the industry before their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Given the academy’s love for Polanski I don’t think being a child molester excludes you from their celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Pat Carroll, who voiced Ursula in 1989's Disney's The Little Mermaid, was also omitted. Rather insulting, but then Disney were using their Oscars time to promote the remake... a film many complained it was too dark and not well lit enough to see what was going on in the film.

Considering Ursula was the villain in the film that many argue was the beginning of the Disney renaissance in animation, it was a very notable omission. But then again, Disney's output in the last few years has been poor, to say the least. And they've felt the financial pinch, so harkening back to 'better times' would have stung them too much.

They also lost the Animated Feature film Oscar, and had no nominees in the short animation category. And they lost the best original song category too (for Black Panther 2). The animation categories and song categories are usually where they dominate, so that was a noticable failure on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I read somewhere earlier that the In Memoriam section of the Oscars has to include people from all aspects of film including producers, directors, writers, cinematographers etc as well as actors so are restricted to how many they can select from each field due to the time constraints of the segment. As audiences are mainly only familiar with actors, the omission of some actors will always be more contentious than say the omission of an equally important contributor to motion pictures such as a casting director or executive producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

**** No!

That's **** awful

Wire, Bosch, Fringe, John Wick.

What a voice, what delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's terrible. Too young by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah no, that's such a shame. Can't think of a single performance he gave that I didn't think he was great. Even the recent Resident Evil show on Netflix was awful, but he was terrific in it.

Nothing tops his role in The Wire though. An amazing character and he was such a linchpin throughout the show.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Was brilliant in the Wire. Always remember this scene.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gobsmacked. So sorry to hear that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i thought that was going to be the 'you'd rather live in **** than let the world see you work a shovel' scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Was literally watching John Wick 3 this afternoon, after coming off a fringe binge watch.

Excellent actor.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Today of all days, I think this is fitting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOZHwWFjb30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Damn 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

RIP Lance. An instantly recognisable presence in anything he was in. The Wire, John Wick, Fringe as noted, and a great role in The Guest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Very sad. He was very good in many tv shows. Seemed like he was in great shape for his age to. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He was brilliant in anything I seen him in, just had a great presence and aura about him, stole any scene he was in. Wonderful voice too, just loved how he delivered his lines. Another taken too early and seemed in great shape too. RIP Lance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I read somewhere that he was only 39 when he started on The Wire. Can't get my head around that at all. He was great in Fringe too.

Advertisement