Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 2 "Stormborn" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I was watching it with mates so had a laugh at that scene doing Greyworm impressions. "Missandei, I want **** you with stump."

But yeah, he's so dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They made it quite clear that it was his tongue!

But there seemed to be a bit of groin to groin action going on too IIRC...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Unrealistic? Haha.
    :D

I guess I mean it seemed like he was "making an entrance" for the sake of an exciting scene rather than it being a plot point.

A number of interviews have stated that they've shortened this season so as to allow them to spend more money on each episode (and also drag it out for one more season), my big concern is that they're going to put spectacle and excitement above the storytelling.

The whole ship scene didn't allay that fear - dodgy lines from Ellaria followed by token lesbianism and then Euron making a needlessly action-packed entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Bronn's favourite sand snake is left, correct?
    Could be a good opportunity to introduce him into the action next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

seamus wrote: »
    :D

I guess I mean it seemed like he was "making an entrance" for the sake of an exciting scene rather than it being a plot point.

A number of interviews have stated that they've shortened this season so as to allow them to spend more money on each episode (and also drag it out for one more season), my big concern is that they're going to put spectacle and excitement above the storytelling.

The whole ship scene didn't allay that fear - dodgy lines from Ellaria followed by token lesbianism and then Euron making a needlessly action-packed entrance.

I dunno, before we stuck on the show in mine we were talking about what to expect and I made the point that Game Of Thrones mid-season formula, plus shorter seasons, meant that from now until the last 2-3 episodes we'll get character development up until the last 10-20 minutes then a big set piece finish, with a major development to account for lack of time left. I probably could've guessed the sea battle if I'd have thought about the pre-season trailer and where we are in the story now, doh!

The episode kinda followed the formula in hindsight, to be fair. So I don't know if it's like we can say that there's much changes to this season. That's kinda exactly what we've always gotten from GoT.
    (Note: we're also due one episode with a heart-warming/inspirational ending, likely centring around Dany. Looking at the runtimes for episodes, I'd say that's coming around episode 4, with the last three episodes reserved for unabashed ****ery)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Bronn's favourite sand snake is left, correct?
    Could be a good opportunity to introduce him into the action next week.

He wants "the bad pussy" I believe was the phrase.

However Robson Jerome and Lena Headley can not appear in the same scenes due to personal reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well, looks like we got ourselves a READER!

How have you deduced that from what I said. There are no books to read, so what exactly are you talking about?
    Vojera wrote: »
    cq8cSPK.jpg

It was very obvious that Brianne had killed Stannis. There is no evidence to suggest Asha has been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

However Robson Jerome and Lena Headley can not appear in the same scenes due to personal reasons.

I never heard that before. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

:pac:

Robson_26Jerome_presse.png?v=3gf1hs1yc2tt9s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How have you deduced that from what I said. There are no books to read, so what exactly are you talking about?

It was very obvious that Brianne had killed Stannis. There is no evidence to suggest Asha has been killed.

Her name isn't Asha in the show.

• Advertisement

Her name isn't Asha in the show.

Oh yea, it's Yara, Asha has just stuck with me. Why did they change her name in the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Oh yea, it's Yara, Asha has just stuck with me. Why did they change her name in the show?

They thought it was too similar to Osha.

They thought it was too similar to Osha.

Odd, Yara is very similar to Arya imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Odd, Yara is very similar to Arya imo.
    I guess though since Asha & Osha both revolved around Theon storylines, they were more likely to cause confusion than Yara/Arya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Well, looks like we got ourselves a READER!

Greatest Bill Hicks quote ever..... kudos my good man...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It was a good episode and got a lot of info out there in the open, though it seemed to be a lot. I don't see why some of it couldn't have been spread out a bit more over the next few episodes.

In a way, I was 'happy' to see Theon run away. I say 'happy' because, maybe I've watched too much television, but I fully expected him to knock the ****e out of his uncle and save the day. To see that he's still a coward and scared, after his character's redemption of sorts in the last season, is not something that you see much in television or films.

FWIW, I wasn't a fan of the battle scene. Not only because I was enjoying the bit just before but I found it difficult to make out with all the darkness involved in the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I really liked how they had Sam's dad go "Tarlys are loyal" and then later showing Sam's loyalty to Mormant son, who he served under in the Nightswatch
    I also liked how Sam paraphrased Jeor by saying "You're not dying today" to Jorah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Littlefingers's ever changing accent will surely go down in television history. I see Aidan Gillen has opted for the full Michael Healy Rae this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Littlefingers's ever changing accent will surely go down in television history. I see Aidan Gillen has opted for the full Michael Healy Rae this season.

Its hilarious! The minute he hit the boat a few seasons ago the accent changed completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

His accent is stuck in 'DEMO' mode, if you look closely on the back of head head you can see the selector dial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Its hilarious! The minute he hit the boat a few seasons ago the accent changed completely!

I think the inconsistent accent fits the character.

LF is, above all, an influencer and trickster. It therefore makes sense that he tailors his accent to what he believes will best influence his audience. So, his tones are urbane and affected in King's Landing when dealing with the likes of Cersei becoming plainer when in the North pouring his poison in Jon's ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

duploelabs wrote: »
    His accent is stuck in 'DEMO' mode, if you look closely on the back of head head you can see the selector dial

I think the best way to listen to Little Finger is to imagine that he puts on different accents every time he talks to different people in our order to throw them off as to who he really is...

I thought the episode was fantastic, an improvement on a strong opening. Things were were looking comfortable for Dany for too long, refreshing to see the the other side strick hard.

Another Great Hall scene in Winterfell- Jon must be running the most democratic Kingdom Westoros has ever seen. They do not get old, however, as Jon, Sansa and Lyanna especially excell in them in their own unique styles. Jon's evolution has been fascinating- he carries his Kingship convincingly with a kind of reluctant strength we have not seen from any of the many leaders we have encountered on the show. He gives the impression of a man becoming great mostly against his own will. Great job by Kit Harrington so far this season.

I was about to complain that Robin should also be present at these parlays (if not making meaningful contributions) in these scenes though it struck me that he is probably still in the Vale being too much of a liability to bring north.

Randyl Tarly is a terrifying individual in the Tywin/Stannis mould of old fashioned badass while Dickon has been given enough glimpses to suggest he'll have something important to do. It'll be be all things Tarly this season and I'm looking forward to it.

Contrary to what some here have posted, I think Jaime is far from resigned and jaded: his impassioned pursuit of Randyl and his attempts to moderate Cersei (Jaime probably is the last person in the world who can even attempt to) suggest a man getting ready for war and intending to win. He has developed from a selfish murderer into a more complex character with many admirable qualities in the course of the story but he is still a Lannister and he loves Cersei madly. He chose neither but it means he will be on her side until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Euron did what had to be done. Good job

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Unrealistic? Haha.

How have you got through 7 seasons of GoT if you're put off by 'unrealistic'. It's far more realistic than most things that happen in show

All it needed was him pointing to the crushed guy and saying "I guess he died... of boat-borne Euron disease!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

DeadHand wrote: »
    I think the inconsistent accent fits the character.

LF is, above all, an influencer and trickster. It therefore makes sense that he tailors his accent to what he believes will best influence his audience. So, his tones are urbane and affected in King's Landing when dealing with the likes of Cersei becoming plainer when in the North pouring his poison in Jon's ear.

He should have channeled his other screen roles into these personae, like when dealing with his whores and flunkies he does the full MAAARA, then becomes the Queer as Folk guy when he's sparring with Varys.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

mzungu wrote: »
    He ordered new ones to be built when he realised they had absconded with the fleet.

he built them very quick ! whats the timeline, I aso like to see a map of the journey each fleet too. (had a quick look on reddit)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

im not saying he the greatest accent munger that ever lived but his accent changed on purpose, he use to hide his rural accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

he built them very quick ! whats the timeline, I aso like to see a map of the journey each fleet too. (had a quick look on reddit)

Months maybe even a year has passed since then in the story. I remember in season 1 that Cersei remarks it took a month to ride from Kings Landing to Winterfell so time isn't really something that's bothered too much about in Got. The same with regards how long it takes Ravens to fly from Dragonstone to Winterfell. Each episode could easily be spread over a few weeks, month even . Best not to think to much about it. :)

• Advertisement

Improved fare from the Citadel this episode too, Jim Broadbent is always eminently watchable and Samwell can be interesting when he tones down the comical fat guy routine. Iain Glen produced an understated though excellent performance- nailing Jorah's resigned dignity and innate decency. Samwell's arc can only liven up with Ser Friendzone in tow.

Solid if not particularly memorable Arya scenes. Hotpie pops in once more, the guy will outlast the lot of them.

The Qyburn secret weapon business is a bit off to me. He hypes up the marvellous anti-dragon measures he is devising and proceeds to show Cersei what is essentially a ballista. In a civilisation well accustomed to siege warfare a ballista doesn't really constitute a new wonder weapon. We saw a more impressive model on The Wall. I was expecting the big unveil to be a prototype cannon, a wildfire thrower or some other such crazy nonsense but instead it's a mundane weapon already invented and in use.

Dany vs. Varys was a brilliant dramatic scene. Dany grows ever more forceful and had the Spider on the ropes with her stern interrogation, but Varys verbally parried well. Interesting to see a character formerly of such murky motivation laid bare. We finally know exactly who he is for and what he wants. Very well played by Emilia Clarke and Conleth Hill.

Advertisement