Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread: the second

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭corkgirl17

Thinking of buying a PS Vita for my husband, are they really good or would the VR be better? Bought him a Nintendo switch last year and he never played it, ended up selling it as he preferred his PS4. What would be the best option?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vita is a dead system. Sony are stopping manufacture very soon. Also it's very like a Switch except you can't doc it and play on a big screen so I'd say your husband will get even less out of it than a switch.

I'd say go for VR if he is interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I wonder when they'll remove access to games on PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

fixxxer wrote: »

You can still download psp games to your psp (though you need to buy them on the web store) so they'll allow it as long as it doesn't get in the way of PSN upgrades in general.
    Still wish the put out a version with an sd card. Data management actively discouraged me from buying and playing games on my psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

corkgirl17 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a PS Vita for my husband, are they really good or would the VR be better? Bought him a Nintendo switch last year and he never played it, ended up selling it as he preferred his PS4. What would be the best option?
    If he didn't like the Switch I don't think he'd be keen on a Vita tbh.
    Does he play the PS4 a lot? Did he say he'd like the vr? Just thinking of people who have vr it was just kinda a novelty thing and would you end up selling again like with the Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

fixxxer wrote: »

Once you've bought them they can't remove access to the games. They'll be in your download list on the Vita even if they aren't visible on the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭corkgirl17

If he didn't like the Switch I don't think he'd be keen on a Vita tbh. Does he play the PS4 a lot? Did he say he'd like the vr? Just thinking of people who have vr it was just kinda a novelty thing and would you end up selling again like with the Switch.

He plays it quite a bit when he gets the chance! He does a fair bit of travelling so that's why I thought the Vita might be good. I think with the Switch it was the games that put him off, wasn't used to Nintendo games and any game he was interested in was really expensive!! Might hold off on the VR, as you say it could be just a novelty thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

He plays it quite a bit when he gets the chance! He does a fair bit of travelling so that's why I thought the Vita might be good. I think with the Switch it was the games that put him off, wasn't used to Nintendo games and any game he was interested in was really expensive!! Might hold off on the VR, as you say it could be just a novelty thing!!
    I see! Well it's similar games and you can play older ps1 games through the store, could you ask? I know it's boring to take the fun out of a surprise but you could be more sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I'm just curious about this, my son bought a PS Vita it could be 6 years ago now.

He never used it much we don't have great internet and it was a chore downloading games etc

So anyway a few years ago he got a PS 4. He announced on Sunday he was trading in the PS Vita and would get 50 euro in CMEX I think this is the name of the shop.

Anyway I said to him I would advertise it for 60 euro and there was a huge amount of interest in it and we sold it immediately.

I,m just wondering what was the attraction in the PS Vita was it the price?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it was one of the first few models it would have had an OLED screen which is far better than the LCD screen of later models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Tomjim wrote:

OLED screen or modding most likely. You can also play a lot of indie games through cross buy with the PS4.
    They are also stopping production next year but I doubt people are panicking about that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Much easier to hack these days, unless on the very latest firmware. So you can put homebrew on it, buy a adapter for peanuts and use the game slot as a memory card (so dirt cheap micro sd instead of the insane vita memory card prices) and if you aren't a law abiding citizen like me, get virtually every Vita, Playstation One or PSP game ever made, for free, direct to your Vita.

60 euro was a bargain price for whoever bought it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I don't really get the disdain the Vita still has. I bought one of the OLED models at the start of the year in GameStop for €100. While I don't use it all that much I do think it was great value even at that. Games can be bought at a very reasonable price for it and it's much more comfortable to play a game on it than a smartphone.
    When it came out it was horrendously overpriced but now it can be got for very little, the screen looks lovely and the controls are so much more comfortable and as has been said, if you're willing to hack it, it provides fantastic value.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pay no heed to the haters, get him a vita :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Does CEX accept One4All vouchers? Looking to pickup a Vita but can’t get through to any of their stores. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Does CEX accept One4All vouchers? Looking to pickup a Vita but can’t get through to any of their stores. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

shuffles03 wrote: »
    shuffles03 wrote: »

Have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 28,822 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Inviere wrote: »
    Hmmmm (latest Vita firmware now exploitable)

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1047080495312506880

Good timing. Turned my Vita on last night for the first time in a long time. It's on 3.55 so have to update in order to play the Plus games.
    Was trying to decide whether to upgrade or leave it in case I want to hack it. But now this means I can update and decide later

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tomjim wrote: »
    I'm just curious about this, my son bought a PS Vita it could be 6 years ago now.

He never used it much we don't have great internet and it was a chore downloading games etc

So anyway a few years ago he got a PS 4. He announced on Sunday he was trading in the PS Vita and would get 50 euro in CMEX I think this is the name of the shop.

Anyway I said to him I would advertise it for 60 euro and there was a huge amount of interest in it and we sold it immediately.

Definitely the price, You were robbed, you could easily have gotten more than 60 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like the cutoff date which was the March 31, 2019 for the discontinuation of physical Vita games has been extended according to Limited Run Games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,822 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there a good grip for the Vita? I find holding it while switching from analog stick to buttons can be tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is there a good grip for the Vita? I find holding it while switching from analog stick to buttons can be tricky

Playasia do grips for both generations of vita

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

CastorTroy wrote: »

I bought this for my 1000 a few months back.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32879476639.html?spm=a2g0n.orderlist-amp.item.32879476639&aff_trace_key=03d8a0ac9d5a40fba3997b75d19f4f2b-1541955672008-01223-f8v4QQU&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=4636amp-ZHWphjZrP7-nBtXnVJQ9og1542725547417

Feels like holding a dualshock now and the back triggers come in handy if you use remote play. There seems to be better alternatives if you have a slim vita though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

Turned on my Vita for the first time in about 12 months. Trip abroad coming up. Firmware updated. But how do you find all the PSplus games I purchased over the last few months and get them to download ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Damien360 wrote: »
    Turned on my Vita for the first time in about 12 months. Trip abroad coming up. Firmware updated. But how do you find all the PSplus games I purchased over the last few months and get them to download ?

In the store, under menu, go to Download List.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Wish I didn’t sell my Vita few years back. I really want another OLED model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I sold my Vita and bought a switch. I don't regret it at all.

Try cex.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Try cex.

Going there Monday. Can I download my PS+ vita games again?

Edit - I see that I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Going there Monday. Can I download my PS+ vita games again?

If you still have the same account you can.

I have not used my OLED Vita in ages, but can't see myself ever getting rid of it.

Advertisement