Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negating a mass reveal in a game

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

*everyone seer peeks mick in round 1*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Pter wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. We are taking all of your feedback on board and disregarding it.

Everyone will have the role of seer. Its gonna be a wild Night 1.

Does that mean Andy will have to claim NRV?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Hello.

I know this convo is over but I just wanted to chime in (mainly coz I think necro is thinking of something similar for later game). My comments come from creating, running and playing games that did/tried to do what you guys are talking about here

Putting 5 extra characters in the op does not avoid anything because the wolves can't know which are the 'fake' roles. In theory, yes it means a mass claim doesn't work. In practise, it still severely hampers a wolf from claiming a role. Their odds of picking one of the Spares are not good

If you want every player to have a character, you have two options.

1) as said, rand the roles. Unfortunately, that means you could have a wolf team of xander, Riley and Buffy's mother. Is that adding to the theme? I'd argue its taking away from it.

2) alter ego's. List your bad guys. List all the good roles. Include extras in there and give every bad guy an alter ego they can claim. Down side - unless the roles are completely homogenous, you again need to rand the roles.

A rule saying "only come out if you have to" doesn't work. It still becomes a funnel towards end game leaving wolves nowhere to go.

The "don't be a dick" rule only goes so far.

Conclusion: everyone getting a role works for themes where the roles themselves aren't adding much to the game. Off the top of my head, themes it works for: wwe, pokemon, any fighting game, murder mystery, battle royale....themes with no set protagonist. Otherwise, I think you have to sacrifice the essence of the theme for the purpose of giving everyone a role which, from my limited reading of your games, most people don't play up to anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hello.

I know this convo is over but I just wanted to chime in (mainly coz I think necro is thinking of something similar for later game). My comments come from creating, running and playing games that did/tried to do what you guys are talking about here

Putting 5 extra characters in the op does not avoid anything because the wolves can't know which are the 'fake' roles. In theory, yes it means a mass claim doesn't work. In practise, it still severely hampers a wolf from claiming a role. Their odds of picking one of the Spares are not good

If you want every player to have a character, you have two options.

1) as said, rand the roles. Unfortunately, that means you could have a wolf team of xander, Riley and Buffy's mother. Is that adding to the theme? I'd argue its taking away from it.

2) alter ego's. List your bad guys. List all the good roles. Include extras in there and give every bad guy an alter ego they can claim. Down side - unless the roles are completely homogenous, you again need to rand the roles.

A rule saying "only come out if you have to" doesn't work. It still becomes a funnel towards end game leaving wolves nowhere to go.

The "don't be a dick" rule only goes so far.

Conclusion: everyone getting a role works for themes where the roles themselves aren't adding much to the game. Off the top of my head, themes it works for: wwe, pokemon, any fighting game, murder mystery, battle royale....themes with no set protagonist. Otherwise, I think you have to sacrifice the essence of the theme for the purpose of giving everyone a role which, from my limited reading of your games, most people don't play up to anyway
    Thanks 40

Advertisement