Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negating a mass reveal in a game

Options
  • 13-07-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

So Molly, Uri and myself are beavering away on the August game and came up with an idea (just an idea at this stage) about negating any move towards a game breaking mass reveal.

We want to do characters for each player, and could just not reveal the full list of characters, and keep rule 10 as it is.
    Don't tell anyone directly who you are although you can hint at it or even copy other players posting styles.

But we arent sure about that wording, as that kind of stops everyone from saying their role on thread, even if they want to reveal (like the seer comes out as the seer, vig as the vig etc etc).

We were throwing around the idea of posting the character list in the OP, but putting in a few extra characters that no player would have, so that a mass reveal would be pointless (as the wolves would have cover and could claim one of the extra characters).

So rule 10 would thus read;
    As you may have noticed, there are more characters listed in the OP than actual players. This is to stop game breaking. Please only claim a role if you feel it is necessary.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Pter wrote: »
    Hi all,

So Molly, Uri and myself are beavering away on the August game and came up with an idea (just an idea at this stage) about negating any move towards a game breaking mass reveal.

We want to do characters for each player, and could just not reveal the full list of characters, and keep rule 10 as it is.

But we arent sure about that wording, as that kind of stops everyone from saying their role on thread, even if they want to reveal (like the seer comes out as the seer, vig as the vig etc etc).

We were throwing around the idea of posting the character list in the OP, but putting in a few extra characters that no player would have, so that a mass reveal would be pointless (as the wolves would have cover and could claim one of the extra characters).

So rule 10 would thus read;

What do you think?

There is a reason you need nrv's
    Ie non rolled vanilligers that have absolute nothing to specify i.dentified
    Giving them a roll even as a vanilla named player is wrong and will be easily broken
    I get the spirit of the game stuff and that we shouldn't angleshokt but coming out as theserr or the priest etc is intergralntonyhe game so it is allowedand should be allowed for anyone to come out as anyone and only by haveinhba large number of nrv's can we have the mechanic work correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

How would you break a game with 25 people playing, but 30 characters in the OP, Tiggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The problem here is that you want the flavour of a theme for a game so you have characters. But if everyone just reveals their characters on day one it breaks the game. I would like to think (not pointing at you tig) that most people want to play the game in good faith and therefore would be happy to play the game as it is and only come out if necessary.
    In order to make sure that this doesn't happen though we're trying to think of a way to failsafe it.

How would you break a game with 25 people playing, but 30 characters in the OP, Tiggs?

I'd n ed the whole playset and rules but it's would be very biased towards any team with a priest or if roles were revealed on death it would be very hard for the wolves to win
    Very

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    The problem here is that you want the flavour of a theme for a game so you have characters. But if everyone just reveals their characters on day one it breaks the game. I would like to think (not pointing at you tig) that most people want to play the game in good faith and therefore would be happy to play the game as it is and only come out if necessary.
    In order to make sure that this doesn't happen though we're trying to think of a way to failsafe it.

Need som epeolle to be nrv's
    In game two you could be caught out not knowing you were an ordinary rather than a normal vanilliger
    The game is played within its parameters and declaring your role either correctly or incorrectly for fair means or fowl is intrinsic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No issues with giving all characters a name imo. Just don't be specific about what names you plan to give NRVs within the OP

Take for example a South Park game.

You'd obviously name the roled characters like Stan, Cartman, etc.

But you could assign the role of.. for example Ned (stuttering non important character in the show) to me without telling everyone one else that I'm Ned.

This totally negates a game breaking situation as there are so many characters within the South Park universe that may or may not be included.

Nobody but the mods would know the full character list until after the game.

Naming NRVs will always leave the game open to angle shooting as Tigger said though. But I like it as it gives even the NRVs more immersion in the game universe.

So there's plenty of long grass for wolves to hide in if there isn't a specific list available to the players during the game.

Necrominus wrote: »
    No issues with giving all characters a name imo. Just don't be specific about what names you plan to give NRVs within the OP

Take for example a South Park game.

You'd obviously name the roled characters like Stan, Cartman, etc.

But you could assign the role of.. for example Ned (stuttering non important character in the show) to me without telling everyone one else that I'm Ned.

This totally negates a game breaking situation as there are so many characters within the South Park universe that may or may not be included.

Nobody but the mods would know the full character list until after the game.

Naming NRVs will always leave the game open to angle shooting as Tigger said though. But I like it as it gives even the NRVs more immersion in the game universe.

So there's plenty of long grass for wolves to hide in if there isn't a specific list available to the players during the game.

In the MU game I was named butvibdidntvkniw till after the game
    But if I had been named I could have used that to my advantage

In South Park I could use the name if of nrv's to my advantage easilly
    writing clunky rules to try to help won't help some people simply have to be vanilla

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tigger wrote:
    In South Park I could use the name if of nrv's to my advantage easilly writing clunky rules to try to help won't help some people simply have to be vanilla

Fair enough, you have a better grasp on game mechanics than I do.

If you didn't know the names of the other NRVs as per the OP would that make a difference in your opinion? As in only the player and the mods knew until after the game.

Sorry for derailing the thread guys I'm just interested in this topic as it ties into our planned game in October as well.

Necrominus wrote:
    Sorry for derailing the thread guys I'm just interested in this topic as it ties into our planned game in October as well.

How dare you. I have nothing to do with that game and this is of no interest to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭andy125

Game mechanics over flavour is the best way to create a good game, don't give yourself any headaches as mods that you will encounter by adding things that will come back to bite you

Good games are remembered for the actual gameplay and moves that the players make rather than character names

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's tough. You could really just make a rule that say's "don't be a dick and do a mass reveal".

Probably the best way is to have priests and not allow any player to role claim anything until after a certain turn.

Categories the players in a and b and say a can reveal b cant and modkill for anyone who breaks

Categories the players in a and b and say a can reveal b cant and modkill for anyone who breaks

Interesting idea. Also wanted to reply to this comment to say at some point I really wanna mod a game with you Mick! You can have control over the gun locker and everything :P

Necrominus wrote: »
    Fair enough, you have a better grasp on game mechanics than I do.

If you didn't know the names of the other NRVs as per the OP would that make a difference in your opinion? As in only the player and the mods knew until after the game.

There is no need to name everyone
    They aren't real none rolls vanilliger if you give them a roll even just by naming them
    If I can state that my name is bob and that I'm bob the non rolled person then that's something that can be used
    If my name is mister garrison then I'm likely to be a baddie
    It adds a level of truth to the claim by bob the nrv that he is bob the nrv and takes away from cartman or garrasion claiming to be bob the nrv
    Look in our game
    Andy game everyone a roll and then we gave some of them secret rolls on too

When it comes to it modkill sling hurts the game more than anything else
    And it's not revealing to say I'm the seer when I'm not but it is to say I'm not the seer when I'm not the seer
    I don't see what it adds to be a background charachter from buffy or south park if it means that a clunky rule needs to be used to restrict players from using options

andy125 wrote: »
    Game mechanics over flavour is the best way to create a good game, don't give yourself any headaches as mods that you will encounter by adding things that will come back to bite you

Good games are remembered for the actual gameplay and moves that the players make rather than character names

Exactly

Tigger wrote:
    When it comes to it modkill sling hurts the game more than anything else And it's not revealing to say I'm the seer when I'm not but it is to say I'm not the seer when I'm not the seer I don't see what it adds to be a background charachter from buffy or south park if it means that a clunky rule needs to be used to restrict players from using options

What clunky rule?

The replacement rule we are proposing negates a mass reveal and allows everyone to role play and have a character, and gives them an option to reveal if they want to. Or not. Whatever they want.

What clunky rule?

The replacement rule we are proposing negates a mass reveal and allows everyone to role play and have a character, and gives them an option to reveal if they want to. Or not. Whatever they want.

What's the difference between a mass reveal and a single reveal
    Ye are talking about putting oaths into the game that will be followed and will cause people to be prevented from interesting imaginations and lateral moves just so you can tell me that I am a named nrv but I can't say what my name is ?
    What's the point of naming me if I can't say what I'm named and how will it make me feel more submerged
    It was a mistake to name all the simpsons charachters and letting half of them die before I revealed that I was the priest and that if we all revealed who we were I'd be able to say who was who and who was lying may seem tonne more true things game by acually it was simply delaying a method of shock and awe attack that could be used to name a pile of wolves straight off Thea bat
    Identify the threat and deal with it is the game not as andy said add more and more rules to force the game into a certain story line
    What ever role I'm given I will always work out how best that role can be used so telling me I'm called bob and I'm a vanilliger but I cannot use that fact but a rolled villager can come out takes away the very essence of being an nrv which is to be able to do what ever they like
    I always come out early whether rolled or non rolled but you want to introduce a rule that says comming out early is not allowed or that klutz only allowed for type a players but not type b players ? I don't know why you would when the tried and tested method of not giving a role to the non rolled villagers is the simplest and most elegant method of playing

Tigger wrote: »
    When it comes to it modkill sling hurts the game more than anything else
    And it's not revealing to say I'm the seer when I'm not but it is to say I'm not the seer when I'm not the seer
    I don't see what it adds to be a background charachter from buffy or south park if it means that a clunky rule needs to be used to restrict players from using options

People can still do what they want just dont claim the roles your not allowed to. Its simple to me anyways if the mods want to add in characters

Tigger wrote:
    What's the difference between a mass reveal and a single reveal Ye are talking about putting oaths into the game that will be followed and will cause people to be prevented from interesting imaginations and lateral moves just so you can tell me that I am a named nrv but I can't say what my name is ? What's the point of naming me if I can't say what I'm named and how will it make me feel more submerged It was a mistake to name all the simpsons charachters and letting half of them die before I revealed that I was the priest and that if we all revealed who we were I'd be able to say who was who and who was lying may seem tonne more true things game by acually it was simply delaying a method of shock and awe attack that could be used to name a pile of wolves straight off Thea bat Identify the threat and deal with it is the game not as andy said add more and more rules to force the game into a certain story line What ever role I'm given I will always work out how best that role can be used so telling me I'm called bob and I'm a vanilliger but I cannot use that fact but a rolled villager can come out takes away the very essence of being an nrv which is to be able to do what ever they like I always come out early whether rolled or non rolled but you want to introduce a rule that says comming out early is not allowed or that klutz only allowed for type a players but not type b players ? I don't know why you would when the tried and tested method of not giving a role to the non rolled villagers is the simplest and most elegant method of playing

Tiggs read the op. I'm saying our new plan let's people claim if they want to.

• Advertisement

People can still do what they want just dont claim the roles your not allowed to. Its simple to me anyways if the mods want to add in characters

Why give a role if I can't claim it ?
    Can I claim a role I don't have
    Is it a role type A I can claim and B I can't or is it if I'm the role myself that I can't claim it
    Saying that if the mods want to do it then it's ok is grand when the game is running but when the game is being discussed tsbprobably better to give an opinin

Tigger wrote:
    I don't know why you would when the tried and tested method of not giving a role to the non rolled villagers is the simplest and most elegant method of playing

I also can't believe that someone who has brought lots of innovation to the forum in the past year is trying to dissuade us from trying something new.

Why give a role if I can't claim it ?
    Can I claim a role I don't have
    Is it a role type A I can claim and B I can't or is it if I'm the role myself that I can't claim it
    Saying that if the mods want to do it then it's ok is grand when the game is running but when the game is being discussed tsbprobably better to give an opinin

Your creating a character is all, why call them NRVS why do anything. This is taking a dead philosophical turn :D

Anyway just giving my thought on a solution to the problem asked and its done now so mick out

I also can't believe that someone who has brought lots of innovation to the forum in the past year is trying to dissuade us from trying something new.

i'n not trying to persuade you of anything of the sort
    i said that naming 30 and havng 5 npc's doing nopere impersonations would not be a buffer
    I'd n ed the whole playset and rules but it's would be very biased towards any team with a priest or if roles were revealed on death it would be very hard for the wolves to win
    Very

i'm giving my opinion and i've brought more than innovation ive brought independant touught

andy said it better than me
    andy125 wrote: »

if youn want to name 30 and play 25 then do so
    but dont ask the question and then think i'm being negtitive for nswwrig as best i can

Tigger wrote:
    if youn want to name 30 and play 25 then do so but dont ask the question and then think i'm being negtitive for nswwrig as best i can

I'm not thinking that but it does feel like you are trying to dissuade us rather than just give your opinion.

Tigger wrote:
    i'm giving my opinion and i've brought more than innovation ive brought independant touught

Well I didn't say otherwise but I'm not here to list everything you have brought. I named the thing relevant to what we are proposing as well.

Also, is proposing the new way not independent thought too?

Anyway look me arguing is silly because I value your opinion and am glad you gave it. So thanks :)

I just don't necessarily agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

I was thinking not to allow anyone reveal their charactor until turn x but there are a couple of issues.

1. Rolled player cant claim a role if they are under threat of a lynch.

2. Rolled player cant reveal their role if they believe it is in the best interest of their team (hi mick, i wonder why dr doom didn't try to claim jessica?)

The only thing i can think of is that an organised reveal cant take place before turn x, ie. No one may lead a mass reveal on day 1.

I'm not thinking that but it does feel like you are trying to dissuade us rather than just give your opinion.

No I'm just saying Words
    Sorry if you feeel I'm being to whatever it is I'm being too

• Advertisement

Anyway look me arguing is silly because I value your opinion and am glad you gave it. So thanks :)

I just don't necessarily agree :)

Me neither

Advertisement