Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begrudgery

Options
  • 12-07-2017 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭

I was home for two weeks and really enjoyed my stay, the atmosphere in Ireland is great, the streets were busy and there was a great vibe...

But then I went to an event and came down to earth with a bump... Silly Irish begrudgery is still alive and well... First I had to hear about D4's and what arseholes they are... The comments were pointed directly at me, because even though I'm not a D4 & would never be accepted in their social circles, I do have a southside accent... The guy in question was telling us how he had ridiculed a couple on their honeymoon on the Aran Islands, because they were using a drone to take photos of the occasion, but didn't have an advanced knowledge of video editing software... Somehow he managed to make them sound like the arseholes, but it was clear who was actually being a dick...

With the same group, I also had to hear how anyone with a beard was a hipster & all hipsters were dickheads... later in the same day I had to listen to the same people describe how they enjoy their craft beers and make firepits from recycled car wheels (but they are obviously not hipsters)...

To be honest, I'm not really concerned with the individual arguments, but it just highlighted to me that there's an awful lot of begrudgery in Ireland and the place is very tribal. I don't really want to have to come home to that, it kind of upsets me that we're still so small minded...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure, who do think you are? Coming back here and telling us we're a load of begrudgers

On topic

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jul/12/where-the-streets-have-no-statues-why-do-the-irish-hate-u2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well la de da, Mr. I've got d*ckhead friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's a thread on this at least twice a year and the usual stuff will now be trotted out with opinions that paint Ireland as unique, while it is not inherently different to most other countries....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I don't think you understand what begrudgery means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't think you understand what begrudgery means.

I do... I'm implying that there is envy & resentment involved...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Anyone using a drone to record weddings is daft. Wait til they get drunk you can record downblouse all you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Bluefoam wrote: »

Because a couple have a drone and people grow beards? I wasn't getting envy from your post at all.

Because a couple have a drone and people grow beards?

Yes, begrudging success, possessions, lifestyle etc... you are just being a pedant...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone using a drone to record weddings is daft. Wait til they get drunk you can record downblouse all you want!

Is blouse not just the unsexiest word? Or would that be frock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Had one of these when I was a kid. We named him Max and he used to be able to chat & say a few words too, "pretty boy", "hallo". Stuff like that. Then one day we let him out of the cage and one of the cats finished his pretty boy chat :(

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I'm a fairly level headed guy.
    I have a chip on both shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Begrudgery is rife in this country ........... mostly displayed by people who did not bother going the extra step to make life better for themselves and for their families. In other countries if you worked hard and did well for yourself then you are admired by most of the natives. In Ireland the resentment is palpable; mostly by people who haven't a clue of your financial/professional situation but will broadly proclaim completely inaccurate information to all and sundry i.e. they make it up.

I'm hopeful that younger Irish people will lose this seemingly genetic trait.
    To the begrudgers out there: stop bitching about others hard earned good fortune and do something about your own situation to improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Kivaro wrote: »
    Begrudgery is rife in this country ........... mostly displayed by people who did not bother going the extra step to make life better for themselves and for their families. In other countries if you worked hard and did well for yourself then you are admired by most of the natives. In Ireland the resentment is palpable; mostly by people who haven't a clue of your financial/professional situation but will broadly proclaim completely inaccurate information to all and sundry i.e. they make it up.

I'm hopeful that younger Irish people will lose this seemingly genetic trait.
    To the begrudgers out there: stop bitching about others hard earned good fortune and do something about your own situation to improve it.

Meeoww! Who's doing the bitching now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Begrudger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Sooooo - you encountered one group of arseholes and now we're all begrudging little sh*ts?

I've done alright for myself, all things considered, and aside from being called a snob once by someone who actually knows I'm anything but (when asked to explain exactly how I was a snob the reply was "you just are, not in a bad way, but you are"), I haven't encountered this so called begrudgery. I have encountered arseholes aplenty mind but they're arseholes about everything. I have been on the wrong side of jealousy, but I don't think that was the same thing.

I await the arrival of one particular poster to tell us how everyone in their small town is begrudging of how amazing their life is.....tick tock, tick tock.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are a couple of aspects to it.

A lot of it is rooted in cultural memory when anyone who had money was British or at least supportive of the British.

Being seen to try and make more of your life was to aspire to be British rather than be happy with being a simple Irishman. Thus having "notions" about yourself, working hard to make more money or aspiring to greater things was seen as a rejection of your Irishness.

To be Irish is to be a little bit self-deprecating. It's part of our humour, it's why we're so easy-going. But culturally this can go too far and make us believe it's true, that Irish people are naturally inferior. Anyone who is successful, makes good money and buys fancy stuff and nice houses is no longer a true Irishman, he's a "West Brit", an arrogant spa, look at him there, thinks he's the bees' knees.

This can be seen in lots of things; not just the anti-Bono crowd, but also the automatic hatred of landlords, vilification of any politician who doesn't come from humble beginnings, etc.

Included in this sh1t sandwich is catholicism which glorifies humility and demonises confidence and success. Anyone who would dare speak well about themselves is automatically a horrible person who has strayed from God.

It's going away. The Celtic Tiger actually did a lot to sweep a lot of this rubbish away - when presented with the opportunity to make money or remain poor and humble, people chose the money and lost the ability to complain about other people daring to improve their lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

There's ton of people writing about the failure of things such as neoliberalism/globalisation/free (for-all) market capitalism, whatever you d like to call it, and I'd have to agree with them. How can you justify when it seems like the minority of society is truly gaining from these ideologies and systems? How is it justified? We 're effectively tearing our planet and societies apart by these approaches, and if we don't react quickly and efficiently, there's a possibility we may not have a planet soon to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Its amazing how many Irish people think they actually have a good sense of humor and are good craic even though the majority of their comments amounts to little more than childish, belittling name calling, which really is bordering on bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Laziest word/term, people don't like someone or something, might be popular but not everyone has to like it/them, being shoved in their face....See Sheeran, Ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    You're over-egging that to be honest. You've been out of Ireland for a while, right? So the subtlety may not come across if you're not immersed in it.

Out of the boom Ireland has developed largely socially liberal and fiscally prudent attitudes. People want state supports, they want welfare and free healthcare, they don't don't oppose higher taxation in principle. However, people want this balanced against getting value for money and not pouring taxpayer's money into a black hole. People do agree that the state has a duty to redistribute wealth to ensure that the rising tide lifts all boats.

Up until the boom the attitudes were much closer to "something for nothing" and "tax the wealthy, they're only west brits anyway".

The reason it appears like a new left has appeared in the Paul Murphy's is that their attitudes now stand out much more starkly against the backdrop.

Recent threads here actually display this change quite aptly. In the 70s and 80s, trade unions were king. Everyone supported strikers no matter what they were striking for, scabs were subhuman and business owners were comic villains with cigars and monocles.

Fast-forward to 2017 and the Bus Eireann strike, and a majority of people are telling them to STFU and get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

What's being described in the first post doesn't really sound like begrudgery and more like people being arseholes. My interaction with arseholes lessens as I get older and filter them out of my life. Generally the only arsehole I deal with these days is the one at the end of my alimentary canal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Begrudgery is still very much alive and well in Ireland but it has definitely lessened in the past 15 or so years, as the country has become wealthier and more confident.

One thing I do notice in Ireland is a sort of reverse snobbery with respect to one's own beginnings. It seems like it's a badge of honour to proclaim that you came from a broken/poverty stricken/dysfunctional childhood and are self-made and got no help whatsoever but something shameful to admit that you actually had a privileged and comfortable childhood - usually because your parents worked very hard to give you such a start in life.

OSI wrote: »
    She had it all of a month before some jealous **** keyed both sides of it and left an anonymous note under the wiper telling her she needed reminding of the poverty she came from before attempting to appear "above your station" and that this person still remembers dropping bags of her old clothes off to the family home when they were kids.
    That is absolutely disgusting... I'm genuinely angry that your mother had to experience that...
    What's being described in the first post doesn't really sound like begrudgery and more like people being arseholes.
    You are correct, but that arseholery is closely linked to their begrudgery...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

This is something we are constantly told here. That we hate people who do well. It's not true. Stop trying to make begrudgery happen.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    One thing I do notice in Ireland is a sort of reverse snobbery with respect to one's own beginnings. It seems like it's a badge of honour to proclaim that you came from a broken/poverty stricken/dysfunctional childhood and are self-made and got no help whatsoever but something shameful to admit that you actually had a privileged and comfortable childhood - usually because your parents worked very hard to give you such a start in life.

I get allot of **** for growing up in South Dublin... I'm well spoken, and obviously SD, but not a D4...

My parents did genuinely come from little. Their parents came from less... but they all worked their way to where they got to. I'm very proud of that. It is true however that I had a more privileged upbringing, because they worked hard to provide that for me & I'll do the same for my kids... There is nothing to be ashamed of in any of that. But I do get called a West Brit by people who don't know me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I get allot of **** for growing up in South Dublin... I'm well spoken, and obviously SD, but not a D4...

My parents did genuinely come from little. Their parents came from less... but they all worked their way to where they got to. I'm very proud of that. It is true however that I had a more privileged upbringing, because they worked hard to provide that for me & I'll do the same for my kids... There is nothing to be ashamed of in any of that. But I do get called a West Brit by people who don't know me.

Most people get a ribbing over something in all countries, it's not uniquely Irish. I get sh*t in work for being from Dublin, as I am surrounded by culchies. I enjoy the joking around.

Advertisement