Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So it's the 12th of July tomorrow. Will the North ever not be sectarian?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    And a Martin McGuinness coffin on the one in Castlereagh.

Kultuur.

Didn't hear that. The SF stuff and the Irish flags don't bother me really anymore. I'm just used to it. However the Racist abuse directed to a lad because he plays for Celtic is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Barthhedf1 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant catholics or southerners we are all Irish.

southerners ? = Fenians to one side, Free Staters to the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Barthhedf1

[qudote="Are Am Eye;104056274"]southerners ? = Fenians to one side, Free Staters to the other.[/quote]

What exactly is a free stater? Is it someone who believes the 6 counties belong to the Queen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Getting rid of a few football teams would most certainly help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

ah let them have their fires, its not as if they're burning people, beyond caring about their shennanigans. eventually they'll stop when they see they're not getting a reaction.

emo72 wrote: »
    ah let them have their fires, its not as if they're burning people, beyond caring about their shennanigans. eventually they'll stop when they see they're not getting a reaction.

People's houses are damaged every year, property is damaged every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

[qudote="Are Am Eye;104056274"]southerners ? = Fenians to one side, Free Staters to the other.

What exactly is a free stater? Is it someone who believes the 6 counties belong to the Queen?[/QUOTE]

A loaded term used by republicans to describe those who negotiated with Britain and accepted the Free State settlement and perhaps abandoned the north and also the 'true ideals of the republic'. Expanded out to describe all 26 county people depending on exactly how bitter exponent is feeling that day.

Jayop wrote: »
    People's houses are damaged every year, property is damaged every year.

they build them on loyalist estates. are they damaging their own houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Let them at it. They seem particularly nasty this year.
    Loyalism shooting itself in the foot (again) just when the real British are taking notice of them.

If they are looking to Britain for salvation from a UI, they will have to look very hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They put them up close to houses and if the person complains they are told to **** off or worse.

These estates are run by a small percentage of vermin that get to call the shots for everyone because they are the most violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You'd make a killing selling Ivory Coast flags up there

They're damaging houses belonging to people who don't want the bonfires a few yards from their houses but are afraid to say anything due to the type pf people whoa re involved in building them. These people are innocent and are being hurt regardless of whether they are catholic or protestant.

They also cause massive damage to public roads every year that has to be paid for from the public purse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Barthhedf1

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    What exactly is a free stater? Is it someone who believes the 6 counties belong to the Queen?

A loaded term used by republicans to describe those who negotiated with Britain and accepted the Free State settlement and perhaps abandoned the north and also the 'true ideals of the republic'. Expanded out to describe all 26 county people depending on exactly how bitter exponent is feeling that day.[/quote]

So basically Fine Gael?

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    A loaded term used by republicans to describe those who negotiated with Britain and accepted the Free State settlement and perhaps abandoned the north and also the 'true ideals of the republic'. Expanded out to describe all 26 county people depending on exactly how bitter exponent is feeling that day.

I use the term Free State all the time in normal speech and honestly it's not intended to be derogatory at all. It was how the South was referred to when I was growing up and I wasn't raised in a republican house at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In terms of offence, the term "free stater" will pale in comparison to unionists comparing a black footballer to a monkey.

Jayop wrote: »
    They're damaging houses belonging to people who don't want the bonfires a few yards from their houses but are afraid to say anything due to the type pf people whoa re involved in building them. These people are innocent and are being hurt regardless of whether they are catholic or protestant.

They also cause massive damage to public roads every year that has to be paid for from the public purse.

i know brah, its total crap. its not going to stop though is it? i wish the fire brigade would just go in and pull them down. but they wont. they thread title asks the question "will the north ever not be sectarian?" the answer is no unless people stop paying attention to their crap. they'll only offend if they get a reaction.

mind you growing up in the troubles i never thought id see an end to them, yet here we are. to me its a miracle i thought was impossible. them having their fires, its just the dying "embers" of a struggle that they are having with themselves. they only have themselves to fight with. everyone else is just getting on with improving their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Most of the people on those estates are as loyalist as the majority of people are nationalists on others.

That is, too terrified to say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

The answer to this was said at a graveside many moons ago, "Ireland unfree, shall never be at peace"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Why can't they just get a bag of cans and go sit in a ditch like the rest of us?

I read that as shyt in a ditch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We spend allot of time North and it's a very divisive issue.
    On Sunday ae passed through both Drumcree and the Garvaghey Road areas and it was a real flashback to the 1970's.

I really don't see this issue ever being resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

A few guys with them bow and arrows that are on fire should light these bonfires a few days before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

This thread needs a soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Most of the people on those estates are as loyalist as the majority of people are nationalists on others.

That is, too terrified to say otherwise.

And they all vote for the DUP because they just hate gays, women's rights and the concept that the earth is round that much?

This idea that most people in NI aren't really sectarian any more falls down every election when SF and DUP gain support over the more moderate parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

KungPao wrote: »
    The King Billy Bigots make impressive bonfires in fairness.

This one looks like a fun one in fairness.

It'll be a shame to burn that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its a big deal to a lot of British people living up the North.

Its a celebration of protestant culture and bonfires.

seamus wrote: »
    Independence.

Eject them from the UK, refuse requests to accede to the Republic. Cut them loose and let them sort it out. Make Northern Ireland an independent state.

Give everyone the right to emigrate to and live in either ROI or the UK. Whoever's left behind can make of it what they will.

With unionism and nationalism both taken off the table, they'll have no choice but to realise how pointless and petty their ideologies are and improve their lot together.

Part of the problem is money. It's a state that has a quality of life far in excess of what it should have. They're subsidised to be racist, sectarian and divided.

mikeym wrote: »
    Its a big deal to a lot of British people living up the North.

Its a celebration of protestant culture and bonfires.

As was the KKK. The word culture isn't a safe word you can use to excuse any activity you engage in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Does anyone know if it's ok for Irish people to join in?

I doubt they'll mind or notice.

After all, they're people in a part of Ireland , who want to be considered British people, and the whole point of this evenings celebration is to celebrate a Dutch king, for bating de shíte outta a British king in a war back in 1690.

Fierce confusing altogether.

Advertisement