Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So it's the 12th of July tomorrow. Will the North ever not be sectarian?

Options
  • 11-07-2017 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was working in America recently. The DUP had just struck a deal with the Tories to support them in exchange for 1 billion pounds. In a developing economy this would be called a bribe. Anyway, the point is that this is when the world was introduced to the DUP. People in America were shocked by the DUP and coverage of the run up to the 12th of July. When I came back to England most people and coverage of the DUP was negative. We don't seem as shocked by it anymore and that's a bad thing.

I think it's easy to forget that burning bonfires with the Irish flag and effigies of other communities, sectarian bands marching down areas filled with people they hate and general bigotry isn't normal.

What will it take to stop all this sectarianism?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

But they have to do it to protect their culture, or so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    But they have to do it to protect their culture, or so they say.

So over in the states I was watching Larry King and George Galloway comes on talking about the DUP. He describes them as a sort of less extreme Klu Klux Klan. He wasn't far off TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Independence.

Eject them from the UK, refuse requests to accede to the Republic. Cut them loose and let them sort it out. Make Northern Ireland an independent state.

Give everyone the right to emigrate to and live in either ROI or the UK. Whoever's left behind can make of it what they will.

With unionism and nationalism both taken off the table, they'll have no choice but to realise how pointless and petty their ideologies are and improve their lot together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Have they realised the difference between Ireland and the Ivory Coast yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    Independence.

Eject them from the UK, refuse requests to accede to the Republic. Cut them loose and let them sort it out. Make Northern Ireland an independent state.

Give everyone the right to emigrate to and live in either ROI or the UK. Whoever's left behind can make of it what they will.

With unionism and nationalism both taken off the table, they'll have no choice but to realise how pointless and petty their ideologies are and improve their lot together.

Partitionist laziness never worked before and will not work now or into the future.
    This is everyone on the island's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Post number 8 is my traditional position in this thread. And I
    will not be moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Great day for burning carpets

With pay by weight disposal coming in we may start celebrating king billy in the local park here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Post number 8 is my traditional position in this thread. And I
    will not be moved.

That's the thing.
    After wrecking the place, shouting Never Never Never, maybe kill a few innocents and threatening Armageddon, you will just get on with it and do the pragmatic thing and be moved.
    Unionism/Loyalism in a nutshell.
    If they had made a stand the whole thing would be over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

The boys over the road have lit theirs already. Is that usual or can they just not read the time?

The loss of EU funding due to Brexit will hit reconciliation hard, not only as a lot of cross community projects will lose funding but also as there will now be increased competition for whatever funding is left.

If you are a cynic and a republican party well now is the time to start sending money north

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

The King Billy Bigots make impressive bonfires in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

seamus wrote: »
    unionism and nationalism

False equivalence. Nationalists haven't created a summer-long celebrated culture around being anti-Protestant/Unionist/British.

The north needs to be better regulated and policed. A simple law requiring planning permission for flags to placed on public property, or kerbstone painting, would push outward expressions of sectarianism, paramilitarism, territory marking, into controlled ghettos where it could be ignored by the wider population.

There should also be a concerted move toward secular schools with a neutral curriculum.

Failing that just get the +50% vote for unification and pull the plaster off quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I'm just sad we don't have a semi-state body that manufactures pallets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Barthhedf1

Nowadays I think we all know that this is just an excuse for a session

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When I lived in Belfast, albeit when the eve of the 12th tended to be worse, we lived right beside an area with a lot of 12th celebrations and kinda perversely enjoyed the night.

Any of us that didn't go away just stocked up on drink and food and all (quietly) partied the night in our house while the city shut down around us.

Barthhedf1 wrote: »
    Nowadays I think we all know that this is just an excuse for a session

Why can't they just get a bag of cans and go sit in a ditch like the rest of us?

I wonder if the catholics could reschedule their Halloween to the 12th it could help unify the situation. The only problem might be the solo protestant Halloween in October which could spill over into triumphalism and tribal bigotry. But one problem at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    The boys over the road have lit theirs already. Is that usual or can they just not read the time?

Premature Conflagration?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if it's ok for Irish people to join in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

There'll be Irish Orangemen and bands, so yeah, it's "ok."

Sure isn't everyone there Irish!

There'll be Irish Orangemen and bands, so yeah, it's "ok."

Sorry I meant catholics or southerners we are all Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I was working in America recently. The DUP had just struck a deal with the Tories to support them in exchange for 1 billion pounds. In a developing economy this would be called a bribe. Anyway, the point is that this is when the world was introduced to the DUP. People in America were shocked by the DUP and coverage of the run up to the 12th of July. When I came back to England most people and coverage of the DUP was negative. We don't seem as shocked by it anymore and that's a bad thing.

I think it's easy to forget that burning bonfires with the Irish flag and effigies of other communities, sectarian bands marching down areas filled with people they hate and general bigotry isn't normal.

as the song goes until the 12th of never and thats a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In any other country in the civilised world would the police and state authorities stand by and facilitate bonfires right beside houses erected over days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

This is what passes for Culture.

DEdpLS8XsAMifIA.jpg
    DEcXiGaXcAIrwLA.jpg

Absolute racist bigoted scum.

Jayop wrote: »
    This is what passes for Culture.

..snip...
    Absolute racist bigoted scum.

And a Martin McGuinness coffin on the one in Castlereagh.

Kultuur.

In any other country in the civilised world would the police and state authorities stand by and facilitate bonfires right beside houses erected over days.

The English like it too, how they stole our land and after nearly a hundred years of peaceful and violent attempts to get it back we don't even want it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Sorry I meant catholics or southerners we are all Irish.

There's bands from the Republic. There's Orangemen from the Republic. The Rossnowlagh parade was on Saturday past.

Advertisement