Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Athenry data centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Ironically they'll be the same people who have iPhones and save their data in iCloud.

The shame ,because that what the protest is against iPhones and iCloud .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The shame ,because that what the protest is against iPhones and iCloud .

Well that's a good enough reason :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ironically they'll be the same people who have iPhones and save their data in iCloud.

yip, typical

He met his wife, who is Irish, online — an encounter he deems ironic given that her profile photo was likely stored in the kind of data center he is now fighting tooth-and-nail to block

http://bit.ly/2jcvRNO

What its really about :

He now works remotely for the Sacramento-based environmental and engineering consultancy Sierra Research, which specializes in air-quality and climate change regulatory compliance.

He writes the type of environmental impact statements he says are lacking in Ireland’s planning process.

Daly is of average height and build, and keeps his black hair short. He grew up in Pennsylvania and graduated from Penn State in 1996 with a degree in environmental resources management. He worked in New Jersey and California, first in the private sector and then for an enforcement agency issuing licences monitoring air quality regulations, before love brought him to Ireland in 2009.

<snip>

gctest50 wrote: »
    <snip>

Please look up "keyboard warrior"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Please look up "keyboard warrior"

Try learning to read sometime, great gift to yourself

halfway down this :

https://bit.ly/2jcvRNO

you get this :

One member of the group {Athenry for Apple} told me during my visit that if Daly didn’t stop objecting to major projects, he’d end up like Michael McCoy, a serial objector to building projects in Dublin who late last year was found beaten to death. “People are openly saying he better leave town if Apple doesn’t come to Athenry,” the man said. (He didn’t want to be named out of fear of recrimination.)

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/as-an-environmentalist-and-serial-objector-michael-mccoy-had-his-enemies-but-who-would-have-wanted-him-dead-35422751.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Threadbanned until Xmas Day

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

halfway down this :

you get this :

One member of the group {Athenry for Apple} told me during my visit that if Daly didn’t stop objecting to major projects, he’d end up like Michael McCoy, a serial objector to building projects in Dublin who late last year was found beaten to death. “People are openly saying he better leave town if Apple doesn’t come to Athenry,” the man said. (He didn’t want to be named out of fear of recrimination.)

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/as-an-environmentalist-and-serial-objector-michael-mccoy-had-his-enemies-but-who-would-have-wanted-him-dead-35422751.html

stupid bastards are off their heads if they think there's jobs for their little johnny or mary when the finish school, these are data centres are all automated and require so few people to maintain to guarantee security and keep costs down to a bare minimum

pure.conya wrote: »
    stupid bastards are off their heads if they think there's jobs for their little johnny or mary when the finish school, these are data centres are all automated and require so few people to maintain to guarantee security and keep costs down to a bare minimum

That's been covered numerous times in this thread. No it wasn't going to be 4000 jobs like in Cork but the carpark had about 70 spaces. 50 full time, permanent jobs would have been a boost to the area.

Anyway it's gone now. If I was this objectors I'd be looking over my shoulder.

That's been covered numerous times in this thread. No it wasn't going to be 4000 jobs like in Cork but the carpark had about 70 spaces. 50 full time, permanent jobs would have been a boost to the area.

so would i because none so dangerous than a thick as $hit hysterical redneck losing their tiny minds over something they know damn all about

so the basis for believing there were to be 50 full-time jobs was on a bit of bitumen rolled out, omg this is the joke that just keeps on giving, so we're down from people losing the plot about hundreds of imaginary longterm jobs in the factory to 50 because a truck load of tar was being bought to create 70 spaces apple can well afford to leave empty

so would i because none so dangerous than a thick as $hit hysterical redneck losing their tiny minds over something they know damn all about

so the basis for believing there were to be 50 full-time jobs was on a bit of bitumen rolled out, omg this is the joke that just keeps on giving, so we're down from people losing the plot about hundreds of imaginary longterm jobs in the factory to 50 because a truck load of tar was being bought to create 70 spaces apple can well afford to leave empty

I'm from near Athenry. I supported the DC. By the way I work SecOps in a DC so I know something about them.

Also, post reported for offensive language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'm from near Athenry. I supported the DC. By the way I work SecOps in a DC so I know something about them.

Seconded, I've got several racks worth of kit in two datacenters in Dublin as part of my day job. What is proposed for Athenry if fully build would at a minimum require 50+ staff, given the salaries involved it's not something to be sneezed at. But perhaps the community doens't need ~€3m of additional wages pumped into it per annum ;)

Leaving that aside, there is currently no large data centers outside of Greater Dublin region let alone 'hyperscale' ones (such as been built by Facebook in Clonee or by Amazon). The experience building such a datacenter in Athenry would give local contractors essential experience in the field, which would actually make the west of Ireland more attractive for third party developers of DC's. That and with the Fibre cable landing in Mayo there's nice low latency link across the Atlantic to the East Coast.

Also, post reported for offensive language.

so my reply to a post that stated the objector better keep their head down after it was pointed out somebody connected to the athenry for apple was highlighting a previous objectors fate and suggesting they might end up beaten to death by hyterical country folk is reported for offensive language?

it appears yer all off yer heads if ye can report me for "offensive" language while ye totally ignore the fact somebody life has been threatened

so my reply to a post that stated the objector better keep their head down after it was pointed out somebody connected to the athenry for apple was highlighting a previous objectors fate and suggesting they might end up beaten to death by hyterical country folk is reported for offensive language?

it appears yer all off yer heads if ye can report me for "offensive" language while ye totally ignore the fact somebody life has been threatened

Thick as s*it, hysterical redneck s etc etc etc.

Honestly can't decide whether you're a troll or just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I think it was the " thick as $hit hysterical redneck losing their tiny minds" line that would've done for you.
    No need to insult anyone when you're trying to make a point.

halfway down this :

you get this :

Thick as s*it, hysterical redneck s etc etc etc.

Honestly can't decide whether you're a troll or just ignorant.
    I think it was the " thick as $hit hysterical redneck losing their tiny minds" line that would've done for you.
    No need to insult anyone when you're trying to make a point.

let me remind ye i was replying to the comments in bold highlighted above and my reply was general observation that wasn't aimed at anybody in particular on this board, i totally stand by my comments as it appears gctest50 knows the identity of a thick as $hit hysterical redneck in athenry that is openly suggesting the objector could end up beaten to death like a previous objector in Dublin. I'll go one further and suggest that if this idiot that was talking to gctest50 made such a serious threat within earshot of me i'd thump the head off of him. talk about small town mentality and out with the pitchforks. any of the "hardmen" of athenry give a damn that their childrens children were saddled with banking debt for the next 40 years??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

pure.conya threadbanned until 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Supreme Court reserves judgment in Apple application

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0209/939429-apple-appeal/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Supreme Court reserves judgment in Apple application

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0209/939429-apple-appeal/

Interesting Apple recently took two 100Gb/s ports on the INEX in Dublin as well as a number of 10Gb/s on INEX-Cork for peering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Supreme Court to hear Apple data centre appeal.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0502/959854-data-centre-athenry/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Apple shelve plans for Athenry, well done to the objectors, great job for Ireland!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Can someone explain how a fella in Wicklow can object? Wouldn't know much about it.

Well, that’s it. The NIMBYs win. Athenry remains a Local Town for Local People.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/961460/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Apple shelve plans for Athenry, well done to the objectors, great job for Ireland!!!!!!

The day they announced apple were coming to Athenry a female councilor in Oranmore was on Galway bay saying great news for Galway.we need to get apple to fix the train line to Tuam now to commute up the workers.
    Fukn laughable.paddy Irish man had this project fukd from day one.well done lads.clap fukn clap

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can someone explain how a fella in Wicklow can object? Wouldn't know much about it.

Because the law allows him to. Which badly needs reform, this unfortunate mess may help kick start that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Queue "What about jobs outside of Dublin???!!! What about the rest of us???!!!" Hope your f*cking tourism industry looking at empty f*cking fields makes up for the loss. Numpties!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Queue "What about jobs outside of Dublin???!!! What about the rest of us???!!!" Hope your f*cking tourism industry looking at empty f*cking fields makes up for the loss. Numpties!

Cannon is on now trying to work the crocodile tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What a disaster.....fools. absolute fools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Well, that’s it. The NIMBYs win. Athenry remains a Local Town for Local People.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/961460/

Been told that the family of the architect in Athenry who objected are pretty much pariahs over this.

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again - this is a huge warning to anybody who is thinking of a big infrastructure project that they are better off taking the money and jobs to another country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The whole planning system needs a complete overhaul. Whether you were in favor of this or not the fact it took so long is a farce,

Advertisement