Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He had no idea why people had gathered at the monument for Fabio Casartelli, he thought it was another crash :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I don't think I can handle much more Kirby.. He was asked what's the difference between the alps and the Pyrenees. Apparently in the Pyrenees your never too far from a sandwich was his difference.. What absolute sh!te he talks, I thought I was going to learn something there.

If your looking for someone anal about mountains Daniel Friebe's your man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I don't think I can handle much more Kirby.. He was asked what's the difference between the alps and the Pyrenees. Apparently in the Pyrenees your never too far from a sandwich was his difference.. What absolute sh!te he talks, I thought I was going to learn something there.

I thought he said you're never too far from a settlement tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    I thought he said you're never too far from a settlement tbf.

Where you will find sandwiches a plenty. Ergo CK was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Surprisingly I had to search back a bit for this.

Hate the way in every race he says multiple times of the motos "give him some room for goodness sake" even if the moto is behind a rider.

• Advertisement

We had a great few weeks without him both on the road and track but now he's back and likely calling the binkbank tomorrow. Thought Tony Gibb was ok with Smith this week before Kirby arrived back.

"Foil" is a pet hat of mine he uses all the time and they are never acting as foils most of the time just up in the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Fun fact of the day -

During the last 10km of Stage 19 in the Vuelta , the following phrases containing the word 'SEE' were said by Sean Kelly - 25 times !!!

1) See ....
    2)we could see...
    3)we can see.....
    4)they can see ....
    5)we will see.....
    6)you can see....
    7)did not see ...
    8)we see ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think the highlight of the Vuelta for Kirby was Si Clarke winning a stage :pac:

A ten minute arse licking monologue to John major and the British lottery yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Melodeon

greenspurs wrote: »
    Fun fact of the day -

During the last 10km of Stage 19 in the Vuelta , the following phrases containing the word 'SEE' were said by Sean Kelly - 25 times !!!

1) See ....
    2)we could see...
    3)we can see.....
    4)they can see ....
    5)we will see.....
    6)you can see....
    7)did not see ...
    8)we see ....

In fairness to Sean, English isn't his first language.
    He speaks a patois of his own creation: Carrick-on-Flandrian.

• Advertisement

It's an interesting one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

I don't remember the exact words but Smith said he hasn't heard of Decraene the last Belgian to win the junior ITT in 2013 since and Kirby said something about defending him.

Decraene took his own life in 2014.

the pair have been back tracking since

circler wrote: »
    I don't remember the exact words but Smith said he hasn't heard of Decraene the last Belgian to win the junior ITT in 2013 since and Kirby said something about defending him.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do they do any research? neither of them knew that Evenepol was a footballer before he started cycling. He captained belgium FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

circler wrote: »

I thought it was ruled an accident, not a suicide?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

“And they have to squeeze through these old gates...”

That’s the Aqueduct of Valens, Carlton.

retalivity wrote: »
    I thought it was ruled an accident, not a suicide?

I was unaware of that, I remembered there were a flurry of articles reporting it as a suicide. Sorry about that.

I should have worded it differently anyway. I guess my anger at the two gob****es commentating made me rush my reply.

POOR CARLTON !!!!!

He must be heartbroken today ............................................................

Did a great job calling home Dan Martin today in second place did Kirby only it wasn't Dan Martin it was Pogacar :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did a great job calling home Dan Martin today in second place did Kirby only it wasn't Dan Martin it was Pogacar :rolleyes:
    Yeah, just watched the highlights on the Player. Brian Smith didn't correct him and they both went with it. Magnus Backstedt would have quickly corrected Kirby had he been commentating.

Actually watching it back the on screen graphics were saying Dan Martin and Pogacar had his jacket on.... Magnus would have spotted that for sure though. Really enjoy listening to him when he's not on with Kirby.

EDIT: Should actual chastise myself for not spotting it wasn't Dan, he has one of the most recognisable riding styles in the peleton.

He has a book out, "don't you know" …..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

In fairness he had a very similar style to Dan. I was watching on the phone and was cursing Dan for leading out sprint. I don't think they twiged for a good while after the finish too

greenspurs wrote: »
    He has a book out, "don't you know" …..

Ha I didn't know that , https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/magic-spanner-9781472959867/

I'd be half tempted to give it read.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Well, I'm just glad he managed NOT to tell us for the umptheen'd million time that Fuglsang's name means Bird Song, and I'm REALLY happy that for whatever reason he didn't keep saying the word 'gnarly' today, over and over and over and over and over.... drives me mad that lad :mad:

Can sleep easy now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Carlton may be the lesser of two evils soon....
    https://twitter.com/SirWiggo/status/1124036372115927040

I thought "Wiggo" would be too cool/Mod to appear on Eurosport. …

Kirby is desending into a blundering mess on tv now.... really unlistenable now!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I predict that Wiggins will last about 5 mins at Eurosport.

• Advertisement

Never fear Kirby will still be there :D

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/wiggins-take-analyst-role-eurosports-giro-ditalia-2019-coverage-421988

Out of everyone they have commentating cycling at the moment Magnus Bachstead is the one I like listing too most and a shame to see he's not on for the GT's. He'll likely be there for Tour Of California with Quigley.

Jo Rowsell-Shand is mentioned in the piece, thats someone they should have on more through out the year and not just the track coverage.

Advertisement