Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

Options

Comments

Pick a day after you've watched a stage with Kirby and then check out the highlights on TG4 and ITV. I know it's not exactly like for like as in edit vs live but still enough to highlight how bad he is, riders getting mentioned and other things going on you'd swear Kirby was calling a different race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

Tuxy, I think you are spot on there. Theres always something slightly aloof about Kelly. His insights are great but always holding something back, I dont know if its "you viewers dont really know what it's like" particularly when talking about suffering.. I wonder if sean really only tolerates commentating if its with a dunce like kirby so he always sounds expert. Does he ever share the booth with matt Stephen's or Dan lloyd?
    Anyway back on topic, kirby is consistently annoying, fair play to him. His attempts to over do French pronunciation are like a cheese grater to the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Gerry wrote: »
    Does he (Seán) ever share the booth with matt Stephen's or Dan lloyd?

He does. Today, in fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm not trying to have a go.

did he say, as you posted

or did he say something like (other variations would work)

Bits in bold added by me. If he truly said the first, then I do apologise.

Oh my god! Do you actually know what he did say?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

hahahahaha

Listening to Kirby and Smith call the Cro Race this week is nothing short of farcical. Singing it's praises saying how great it is while the riders have a different idea. Some seriously dodgy finishes, unlit tunnels, cars on course etc. Today the finish was a joke, riding on what was basically a footpath along the sea with restaurants and bars on the left and their outdoor seating on the right, or a 2 meter drop to the beach.

Begs the question about the pro conti level races we don't see.

Two lads used to go to the Turkey tour this time of year on their free holiday and bring the wives but seeing as the Turkey tour moved they're here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Was watching Friday's stage and they came to a corner in the last k or so, few lads fell off even though it was dry.

And then I remembered that the same thing happened in same stage last year.

Deja vu all over again!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Commentating on London 6 day this evening - I'm sure he's used this one before, but it still brought a smile

a certain sprinter "head and shoulders above everyone else - other shampoos are available"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"Viviani walks the walk"
    "He also bikes the bike"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Everything he says makes me think of a child showing off to his parents friends with a routine of tired old cliches all the while looking for applause and exclamations of 'oh how clever' just like a seal looks for fish at the zoo when it has done a trick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Everything he says makes me think of a child showing off to his parents friends with a routine of tired old cliches all the while looking for applause and exclamations of 'oh how clever' just like a seal looks for fish at the zoo when it has done a trick
    Ironically I could imagine Carlton using that post to describe a cyclist in commentary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fiancée (who doesn't follow cycling) just turned to me and said, he's kind of annoying that commentator.

You're not alone in thinking that I replied.

Gave me a chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I am starting to enjoys his annoyingness

A couple of times he goes off in a ramble on what he thinks a team is thinking and their approach to a stage.

And Sean goes

“I don’t think so...”

Cracks me up :D

After enduring Rob Hatch for the Giro. I think the approach they took for the Tour is the best way to do the commentary. Give each of them a part of the stage. It wouldn’t have been easy for the giro with the amount of racing on but the amount of waffle was reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Sean 'Welllltaaaaaa' Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

Boscoirl wrote: »
    After enduring Rob Hatch for the Giro.

give me Carlton any day over RH....i turn off the sound when RH is on duty :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Boscoirl wrote: »

After enduring Rob Hatch for the Giro. I think the approach they took for the Tour is the best way to do the commentary. Give each of them a part of the stage. It wouldn’t have been easy for the giro with the amount of racing on but the amount of waffle was reduced

This 100%. But always have Kelly on co-com with the odd bit of Dan (who I find personable and was the best of the GCN guys) and Smith's mostly good insights.

Wiggins plays up his blokey persona far too much, when in reality he should be able to give all sorts of insights.

I'd love to hear from someone like Boardman / Obree (he's just fascinating) and maybe if he retires Cavendish on talking on certain stages and a bit more from Contador and similar on the lumpy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Weepsie wrote: »
    This 100%. But always have Kelly on co-com with the odd bit of Dan (who I find personable and was the best of the GCN guys) and Smith's mostly good insights.

Wiggins plays up his blokey persona far too much, when in reality he should be able to give all sorts of insights.

I'd love to hear from someone like Boardman / Obree (he's just fascinating) and maybe if he retires Cavendish on talking on certain stages and a bit more from Contador and similar on the lumpy ones.

Boardman is boring the arses off the itv audience for the tour. Contador use to be on a bit but does alot for Spanish eurosport last few few years.

Check him out here and how different he sounds reading a script for the highlights today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Kirby and Kelly are doing my head in....

Kirbys colourful language to try describe a stage, and his continued love affair with Froomey, is killing me.
    And then Kelly "as we can see" 3 times in every sentence, ( and ca-donce , not ca-dence now?!?)
    it nearly drives me to watch the coverage on Supersport (south african) but they are worse.

For me Rob Hatch + Smith or Dan are the best.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Giro was great this year with this duo out of the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I would now take Kirby over Hatch anytime, with any combination of co-com, regardless of the Froomefawning. In fact I'd even take Contador on Spanish eurosport before I'd endure any more of Hatch and his spanish accent even though I don't speak a word of spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Hatch must of lost his mind with Hugh carthy yesterday like he did with geoghagen in the giro

When they were talking on Saturday about tomorrow's stage, Kelly started to mangle the name of the finishing climb and I think he eventually settled on the Langeroo.

Or maybe I just misheard.......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My favourite Kellyism from recent weeks was "Sex Tregafredo".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a commentary faux pas, but i did enjoy conor dunne referring to 'horse category' climbs on GCN a few months ago.

My all time favourite Kellyism is when he said "the Aussie sprinter Kay Baloon" will go close today.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Finnrocco wrote: »
    When they were talking on Saturday about tomorrow's stage, Kelly started to mangle the name of the finishing climb and I think he eventually settled on the Langeroo.

Or maybe I just misheard.......

Langeroo

To you

Oh, take her up to Monto, Monto, Monto !!

Heard Kelly indeed fair mangle Angliru, and he did it again a few times yesterday on the climb itself. Sean might be better able to climb it than he is to pronounce. That said, give me his mispronunciations any day of the week over Rob "Pronunciation Police" Hatch....he did my head in in recent weeks !

Hrhoo-ben Gue-hay-ho ? Ah you mean Rooo-ben Gwirr-air-o Rob !!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Finnrocco wrote: »

I remember he once called the Mortirolo, the "Motorola".
    jrar wrote: »
    That said, give me his mispronunciations any day of the week over Rob "Pronunciation Police" Hatch

In fairness to Hatch, while he sometimes gets it wrong, he at least tries to get the correct pronunciation most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thank God for Rob Hatch in this dumbed-down era of phonetic spelling and blissful ignorance. Like a vintage hand-rolled AniverXario or a tumbler of Remy Martin Louis XIII, it isn't for everyone.

Advertisement