Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

€89 for a lifetime pass is tempting, the provider I use on emby is setting up a better service on Plex
    Wonder will cyber Monday see half price though

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

OmegaGene wrote: »
    €89 for a lifetime pass is tempting, the provider I use on emby is setting up a better service on Plex
    Wonder will cyber Monday see half price though

What do you get with a Lifetime pass vs free sub

For me it would enable me to have access to a library of 500tb of media that I can share with 5 others via a company online
    I used to be able to subscribe and use the free Plex but they clamped down on it and that is how I ended up on emby

Live tv is on Plex too I believe if you have the pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Plex pass
    https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/

I'm a former Plex pass subscriber but now have moved completely to Emby as Plex has gone to sh1t

Emby premiere
    https://emby.media/premiere.html

Emby has limit of 15 devices using premiere features over a certain period of time. Web browsers, Xboxes and Kodi are free so don't count
    https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Premiere-Feature-Matrix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/11/nvidia-shield-tv-black-friday/

From Monday the 19th to Monday the 26th of November , you'll be able to get the Shield TV, remote and the games controller for just £149, instead of its usual price of £189.99.

If you don't need the controller, the remote-only bundle will be £134 instead of the usual £179.

The deal will be available at lots of retailers, including Amazon, Dixons, PC World, John Lewis, Scan, Shop Direct and the Shield Store, where you'll get free shipping to sweeten the deal.

• Advertisement

Plex pass
    https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/

I'm a former Plex pass subscriber but now have moved completely to Emby as Plex has gone to sh1t

Emby premiere
    https://emby.media/premiere.html

Emby has limit of 15 devices using premiere features over a certain period of time. Web browsers, Xboxes and Kodi are free so don't count
    https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Premiere-Feature-Matrix

Has Plex gone to the dogs then ? Used to be very good
    I might stay where I am with emby then

Has Plex gone to the dogs then ? Used to be very good
    I might stay where I am with emby then

You're not running your own server so makes little difference to you. You just go with whoever offers you the best service on whatever system they use.

It's those like me who run their own server who are up in arms about all the bugs not being fixed when they're busy adding stupid features nobody wants like news, podcasts and VR. Why would I want podcasts alongside my live TV, movies and shows? I have an app for that on my phone. They completely dropped support for plugins in the last few weeks, I have lots of these I depend on.
    But it's mostly the lack of communication from the Plex team, they never help or even respond on their forums. People are leaving in their droves, the Emby forum is full of Plex converts who can't believe the Emby developers themselves are replying to their questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Has Plex gone to the dogs then ?

In my opinion, no.

Plex Server on the shield works great. Plex client can be a bit glitchy, but there are plugins for Kodi & MrMC as alternatives.

Their focus has branched out to Live TV and podcasts and the like, so the media streaming part may have suffered a bit, as a result

Bought a lifetime pass for 75 a few years back and no regrets.

I have never tried Emby so the grass may be greener over there though :pac:

EDIT: The high horse brigade makes some great points that are correct now that i think on them. They are definitely aiming to be a jack of all trades and may as a result be a master of none.

The service I use has are on emby but with all the glitches they are going to run a better one on Plex apparently but a Plex Pass is needed

The service I use has are on emby but with all the glitches they are going to run a better one on Plex apparently but a Plex Pass is needed

That has nothing to do with any of what I said. Like I said before when you don't run your own server you are a passenger.

The reason they want to use Plex is the device limit on Emby. Once you go over 15 devices it gets expensive and there's no way around it. (This is on top of paying for Emby premiere) https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html
    With Emby the server gets licensed, with Plex is the user account
    They'll blame Emby but it'll be the same service. Anyone with their own TV tuners in a server is claiming Emby is well ahead of Plex on the live TV side of things, I've been chatting to lots of them on Discord

• Advertisement

That has nothing to do with any of what I said. Like I said before when you don't run your own server you are a passenger.

The reason they want to use Plex is the device limit on Emby. Once you go over 15 devices it gets expensive and there's no way around it. (This is on top of paying for Emby premiere) https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html
    With Emby the server gets licensed, with Plex is the user account
    They'll blame Emby but it'll be the same service. Anyone with their own TV tuners in a server is claiming Emby is well ahead of Plex on the live TV side of things, I've been chatting to lots of them on Discord

Sorry high horse I wasn’t replying to you in my last post I was just mentioning why I was thinking of getting Plex Pass
    I totally understood what you said

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mccartj5

What would the shelf life of the shield be? I have a minix box but it is running Android 4.4 and there won't be any upgrades so a lot of new apps won't install. Trying to justify the investment in a shield as I could get another android box running android 8 for cheaper. Was also thinking of investing in an TV with android TV and eliminate the need for a box, but the range seems limited and pricey.

mccartj5 wrote: »
    What would the shelf life of the shield be? I have a minix box but it is running Android 4.4 and there won't be any upgrades so a lot of new apps won't install. Trying to justify the investment in a shield as I could get another android box running android 8 for cheaper. Was also thinking of investing in an TV with android TV and eliminate the need for a box, but the range seems limited and pricey.

As it's a gaming console it's very important to Nvidia that everyone is on the same software version. It's been around since 2015 and is still getting continuous updates. The old 2015 version runs the exact same software as the new 2017 one. That's not likely to change either and there's nothing on the horizon to knock the shield off the top spot.

Don't buy a TV with Android TV, you are at the mercy of the TV manufacturer for app updates. Besides they have weak processors and limited ram to bundle it in with a TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

mccartj5 wrote: »

Nvidia Shield TV runs original Android - not a fork of Android that gets left behind.

when Android updates the the Nvidia Shield updates..simple!

I dont think people realise that Nvidia is a massive company and in the top 15 tech companies in the world..their products are fantastic and they just do it right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

If someone has a Nvidia Shield and has Virgin Media Anywhere. Can they check if it works on the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah I'm going to get one of these. Wondering is it likely to be reduced on cyber Monday?. If not I might buy now.
    Too many concessions and allowances you have to make with Android boxes like you can't get Netflix from playstore, YouTube won't show live streaming podcasts. I feel those 2 are modified when you buy a box with them pre installed. But most importantly android boxes are stuck with the Android firmware version it's bought at whereas it's updated with Nvidia shield when there are updates which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

califano wrote: »
    Wondering is it likely to be reduced on cyber Monday?

Supposedly £149 all next week: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/11/nvidia-shield-tv-black-friday/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

califano wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to get one of these. Wondering is it likely to be reduced on cyber Monday?. If not I might buy now.
    Too many concessions and allowances you have to make with Android boxes like you can't get Netflix from playstore, YouTube won't show live streaming podcasts. I feel those 2 are modified when you buy a box with them pre installed. But most importantly android boxes are stuck with the Android firmware version it's bought at whereas it's updated with Nvidia shield when there are updates which is the main thing.

Cyber Monday deal has already been posted, just read back the thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Excellent thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If someone has a Nvidia Shield and has Virgin Media Anywhere. Can they check if it works on the device?
    It's not an officially supported device - it's designed for mobile devices. If you get it working on the Shield, the interface is a bit clunky and buggy. Once a stream starts it's OK though. I would not recommend it for regular use as it'll drive you a bit nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Have a xiaomi mi box and find it brilliant buy considering getting a nviada shield instead if price is right over Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. Mainly chainging for intergration with Google home but is there any other feature that make nviada shield worth the swap?

Have a xiaomi mi box and find it brilliant buy considering getting a nviada shield instead if price is right over Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. Mainly chainging for intergration with Google home but is there any other feature that make nviada shield worth the swap?

Plenty of info and videos online regarding nvidia shield vs xiaomi mi box
    Going by reddit users majority of people prefer the shield and those that don’t prefer the low price of the mi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Gaming!

I have both, because the Shield is a gaming console it's much faster.

The are many options for gaming on the Shield including Gamestream which is streaming games from your PC and GeforceNow which allows you play PC games from a Nvidia virtual PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Nvidia Shield with Controller and Remote on Amazon France for €143.99

€156.81 delivered to Ireland
    €149.29 delivered to PW/PM/AP/PC
    https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01NBJ6KZY

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is that the cheapest its ever been?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Cheapest I've ever seen it before shipping.
    I can't remember if it was £150 or €150 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is that the cheapest its ever been?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Suckit wrote: »
    Nvidia Shield with Controller and Remote on Amazon France for €143.99

€156.81 delivered to Ireland
    €149.29 delivered to PW/PM/AP/PC
    https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01NBJ6KZY

Thanks for this, ordered one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Benzino wrote: »
    Thanks for this, ordered one :)

It's 135 poung on UK site.

Does the FR one come with an EU plug (2 prong) or one we can use out of the box?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement