Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent Fasting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

paul7g wrote: »
    Yep, but calories are not what determines your body to start processing a substance.

Coffee, tea and supplements are know to be 3 of the most popular faults people make on IF... however if you find your current plan is working for you, then stick to it.

I am not a nutritional scientist, but when I study something I tend to study it in detail both from a Pros and Cons point of view, so i’m just informing you of my findings, and hoping it helps.

I used to drink plain black coffee in mid morning for an energy kick but when I cut it out I did feel the benefits.

My MAIN point on coffee, etc while in IF is that it is not nutritious. Your body has been fasting so I think it is vital that you provide it with something nutritious when breaking / ending the fast such as whole foods (greens, nuts, etc).

You have stated coffee/tea break a fast and that there will be an insulin spike.

16 hrs is not a long fast and as long as your overall diet is good it won't matter a sh1te if you have a fry, salad, milkshake as long as you hit your daily nutritional needs when you eat.

If your criteria for a food to break a fast is highest nutrition possible then organ meat, eggs and bone marrow etc would be top of that particular tree.

If you have finding about 2.5 or 4 cals having any meaningful effect on metabolism or an insulin spike please link the studies.

Sounds like you are majoring in the minors to me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I’d be pragmatic on coffee even if it might take a tiny % off the “ideal” but doesn’t make much of a difference. There are fat mimicking approach to this which is based on the logic of avoiding protein and carbs so calories per say aren’t the important thing. If coffee makes the whole thing more doable that would be more important.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Anyone notice that their resting heart rate lowers a lot when in a fasting state?

I'm far from fit and mine is 54 now in the office but once I break the fast, it'll spike to about 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Anyone notice that their resting heart rate lowers a lot when in a fasting state?

I'm far from fit and mine is 54 now in the office but once I break the fast, it'll spike to about 70.

Don't think reduction in resting heart rate is unusual when fasting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If I've put in a decent session in the gym right at the start of when I'm fasting, am I undoing a bit of the work I've done? I know there's been many arguments re: protein intake / calorie intake after strength training but it's still somewhat conflicting.

I'm doing a 14/10 split which is fine for me and I'm starting off so I just want to discipline myself to not snack after 18:30 essentially, but I'm conflicted as per whether I should be feeding myself after a good session.

I should point out I normally train first thing in the morning so this isn't normally an issue but the BH weekend meant I had to go this evening.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    If I've put in a decent session in the gym right at the start of when I'm fasting, am I undoing a bit of the work I've done? I know there's been many arguments re: protein intake / calorie intake after strength training but it's still somewhat conflicting.

I'm doing a 14/10 split which is fine for me and I'm starting off so I just want to discipline myself to not snack after 18:30 essentially, but I'm conflicted as per whether I should be feeding myself after a good session.

I should point out I normally train first thing in the morning so this isn't normally an issue but the BH weekend meant I had to go this evening.

It's really a non issue especially if it's not a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

you mean after a training session or a night out?

If you want more energy for training you eat carbs before

As for after it is protein that matters. For some reason that there are only hypotheses about, eating protein earlier or later in the day isn't as effective for building or repairing muscle as eating it right after the workout They talked about this in an episode of SciShow but I can't remember which one so i can't link you or find the original research

you mean after a training session or a night out?

If you want more energy for training you eat carbs before

As for after it is protein that matters. For some reason that there are only hypotheses about, eating protein earlier or later in the day isn't as effective for building or repairing muscle as eating it right after the workout They talked about this in an episode of SciShow but I can't remember which one so i can't link you or find the original research
    No, a good session in the gym I mean!

My query is over doing a decent weights session and waiting 12 hours before eating due to keeping up with my IF

As per Alfs post, once it's the exception rather than the rule I reckon I'm okay as I said, I usually train in the morning when I can eat soon after but just wanted to get some opinions on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

A lot of people I've talked to have had great success with weight loss (and blood sugar, loose skin) with IF. They quote Joe Rogan's interviews with various people about it. If I wasn't doing well with Slimming World I'd definitely be on it! Here's that video anywoo:

Joe loves a bit of IF.

• Advertisement

Joe loves a bit of IF.
    Fav response was when he asked Bill Burr if he'd heard of it:

"yeah Joe, it's called fúckin'sleepin'" :D

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I am trying IF, but the morning gym session is a bit of a struggle without pre workout. I try a coffee beforehand but reading through here people are saying a black coffee breaks a fast. I gym at 6am so even taking a preworkout at 5.45am would mean I would need to stop eating before 2pm, thats not realistic.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Sound lack of enough ketones production and body trying to demand the carbs instead. Just keep going and eventually you get the results.

Advertisement