Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on anonymous game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Just to address this, I wrote that rule for a game in feb and it was to cover a mechanic that had it been revealed would have been hugely disadvantageous to the village. The relevant people to whom the rule applied all had the information they need. So it's not game saving rule. I wrote it to ensure balance.

For me it was a formalisation of Sullys "all is not as it seems" from Halloween.

This isn't the thread to discuss it but the village had a counter to this in the shared back room for jess and luke, they chose to burn it though to take out a baddie. Which could be argued was unbalanced against kilgrave, while Jessica was allowed to reveal, he could never win and was always going to play 2nd fiddle to deadpool.
    Shared baddie rooms are as much a curse as a blessing to baddies as it reveals your identity to the people more likely to kill you than the village.

The village won in a very close end so it must have been balance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Tigger wrote:
    The village won in a very close end so it must have been balance

I don't think outcome is indicative of balance tbh.
    Balance for me comes back to the basics for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

To be fair, a mod can only balance it so much. The random allocation of roles has a huge part in the balance. And thats down to pure luck who goes where. While on the face of the game, a game may seem in favor of one team, a strong team of experienced opposing players may balance the game in.their favor randomly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I don't think outcome is indicative of balance tbh.
    I think there has to a very strong balance : close game correlation if a game is unbalanced it will be won easily by the team that's got the advantage. If it's balanced it will end up close. Although the result was due to a wolf forgetting to put in a munch iirc.
    Balance for me comes back to the basics for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    That's one way of having it planned with balance and equal opportunity to win for each side but it dosent stop the result being indicative of balance in the game

Is there any random generator out there for werewolf, were all the actions are taken randomly by a computer. And you could run it 1000s of times. And the resultant figures would should if it was balanced after.

What's fair? Village 46 WOLF'S 46% sk 8%.?

Sk are always at a disadvantage to win comparatively but it's just accepted as it's a fun role to play.

One games result really isn't indicative of balance imo. And unless your playing fairly straight forward vannila games it's hard to tell if a game is balanced properly with the more complex games. Imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is there any random generator out there for werewolf, were all the actions are taken randomly by a computer. And you could run it 1000s of times. And the resultant figures would should if it was balanced after.

Not sure Mick but the auto modded games on MU (from now on known as 'that other place') are probably the best example of random generators.

Of course I say this not knowing whether they can be set up for heavily roled games like the ones we have here at times.

Agree with your other points on one game not determining a good or poor balance though.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Not sure Mick but the auto modded games on MU (from now on known as 'that other place') are probably the best example of random generators.

Of course I say this not knowing whether they can be set up for heavily roled games like the ones we have here at times.

Agree with your other points on one game not determining a good or poor balance though.

I actually thought about it after and it's probably very hard taking into things like players coming out and protections and what not. Straight munch lunches is easy but adding more in gets complicated

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

BUMP

So we've had a few runs of the anon accounts. Any suggestions/improvements?

One I'm considering/opening for suggestion - requesting that either Riona or Fiona has a name change. It's a bit confusing with the two similar names.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sullivlo wrote:
    One I'm considering/opening for suggestion - requesting that either Riona or Fiona has a name change. It's a bit confusing with the two similar names.

I'd agree that Riona and Fiona are quite confusing.

I somehow get Ewan and Eva mixed up at times too but that's just me I think. :D

That seems fair I didn't even think of it when I did the list 'cos I say them as different in my head.

I vote Fiona gets changed Riona is a nicer name (sorry Fizz)

• Advertisement

Avatar changing confuses me although so do basic avatars that are the same colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Not just you. Fiona / Riona + Eva / Ewan.

Everybody changing avatars has really really helped though.

Edit: not changing during game, but away from the default ones, and sticking to same one for the game.

Avatar changing confuses me although so do basic avatars that are the same colour

like all pink or all green avatars or all (insert whatever colour here) avatars?

sKeith wrote: »
    Not just you. Fiona / Riona + Eva / Ewan.

adopt a new pronunciation!

Ree-na and fee-owe-na

like all pink or all green avatars or all (insert whatever colour here) avatars?

When they get changed mid game its confusing and people with the same colours i,e green are confusing to differentiate. I think I look at avatars more then names. I must be a more visual type person I guess.

sKeith wrote:

First thing I do is remove my avatar on the anon account. The damn things annoy me (hence not having one under my own account)

When they get changed mid game its confusing and people with the same colours i,e green are confusing to differentiate. I think I look at avatars more then names. I must be a more visual type person I guess.

oh I thought you were saying all accounts should have the same colour.

I also get confused when two have the same colour. On my own account I don't notice cos it doesn't show avatars, but logged in on other accounts anon or GM I can and it drives me mad. However I just checked and there are only 20 colours and we have 30 accounts so there's bound to be overlap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Derry/Doris for me.

Necrominus wrote: »
    First thing I do is remove my avatar on the anon account. The damn things annoy me (hence not having one under my own account)

None is better than multiple people with the name one.
    BTW, you can turn off viewing avatars in the options, then everybody has no avatar. Thats your problem solved right there.

control panel
    edit options
    Thread Display Options
    Visible Post Elements
    turn off Show Avatars

quickbeam wrote: »
    Derry/Doris for me.

Lol I was actually going to change Derry to Doire which would have been so much worse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Brendan is cursed.

sKeith wrote: »
    None is better than multiple people with the name one.
    BTW, you can turn off viewing avatars in the options, then everybody has no avatar. Thats your problem solved right there.

control panel
    edit options
    Thread Display Options
    Visible Post Elements
    turn off Show Avatars

Yeah, I have that done with my own account but cant be arsed doing it every time for the anon accounts

Just do it at the same time you are going in to change the notificatio of pm to on, posts per page to 40 and all the other custumizations you do before you would even consider posting on the thread ;)

oh , and unsubscribing all the threads and deleting the sent items and pm that the previous user left you as a present.

Name changes aside, I don't see any issues with the anon accounts. Obviously they're a new toy and we all want to play with them at the moment but hopefully we can have one or two of the next few games under our own accounts?

I'd still like to have a Necro vs Barney argument as opposed to a Gabriel VS Tegan one once in the odd while

(Barney is my example for everything right now :P)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Is anyone else getting weird subscriptions to the ladies lounge on the anon accounts? Not that we don't want you all in TLL of course...

I actually didn't look at the subs in the Gabriel account. BRB

sullivlo wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting weird subscriptions to the ladies lounge on the anon accounts? Not that we don't want you all in TLL of course...

YES!! Steve WW had it. Just assumed it was something you'd subscribed to.

Re avatars, are we limited to the Boards avatars, or can we pick any jpg we find on the internet? I was trying to find something appropriate (instead of random) for both Jake and Steve (didn't bother when I had Eva), but couldn't find anything in the Boards default, and I couldn't see a way to chose a picture elsewhere.

• Advertisement

No, Angus had a few random ones too. Will flag that with admin.

So:
    - Fiona/Riona; Eva/Ewan
    - Random subscriptions to TLL
    - Access to avatars (I think custom avatars are just for subscribers though, but will check)

Advertisement