Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corp Pilot Refused to Fly Minister in 2015

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Cork's weather conditions often have a mind of their own. Coveney, as a local, should have known that, and as a sailor himself, he should be well aware of the vagaries of the weather. I'd back the pilot 100%, no question. Calling the pilot directly or even calling his boss was unprofessional and disrespectful. Cork airport can often be closed in when even the city has clear weather and that's speaking as a local and a CPL holder. I worked on the King Air, back in the day, when it was doing VIP work and the pilot's decision was final and the DFA and the Office of the Taoiseach knew and understood that. Another point; if he had gone on the flight and had to divert, then Coveney would have ended up in Waterford or Farranfore or even back in Baldonnel and his nose would have been even further out of joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Has anyone clarified what type of aircraft was to be used on the mission in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Has anyone clarified what type of aircraft was to be used on the mission in question?

We only have the Gulf Stream

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ELM327 wrote: »
    Fair play to the pilot for standing his ground.
    I heard this on Newstalk this morning, what a ridiculous sense of self entitlement our political classes have.

You don't know the half of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Well tell us the half of it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

That there is more to this story, not in the public domain, and the simple fog-pilots-decision-not-to-fly, that is public, is only one side of a more complicated scenario, and that the Minister may in fact have reasonable grounds for his complaint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

But Coveney as MoD should at least have known about the chain of command and not overridden it.

As MoD he would be the very top of that chain.

Technically the pilot (who is correct in this instance) has disobeyed a direct order from a superior officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Cork's weather conditions often have a mind of their own. Coveney, as a local, should have known that, and as a sailor himself, he should be well aware of the vagaries of the weather. I'd back the pilot 100%, no question. Calling the pilot directly or even calling his boss was unprofessional and disrespectful. Cork airport can often be closed in when even the city has clear weather and that's speaking as a local and a CPL holder. I worked on the King Air, back in the day, when it was doing VIP work and the pilot's decision was final and the DFA and the Office of the Taoiseach knew and understood that. Another point; if he had gone on the flight and had to divert, then Coveney would have ended up in Waterford or Farranfore or even back in Baldonnel and his nose would have been even further out of joint.

Not just a local lad, I think he hails from the area on the coast south of EICK, right under the approach to RWY35 if my sources are correct .
    Maybe he thought he knew better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ger664 wrote: »
    As MoD he would be the very top of that chain.

Technically the pilot (who is correct in this instance) has disobeyed a direct order from a superior officer.

As captain of the flight, he IS the most superior officer. He has to answer to no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Psychlops

EchoIndia wrote: »

Helicopter pilot they are saying, so the use of an AW139 there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Would first class on Iarnrod Eireann cut it? Or would you still be mixed in with too many working class for the liking of politicans? Remember that one time Shane Ross took the bus?

He tweeted the bus was great flew into work and that was at half 10 when the rest of the unwashed were already at their desks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Politicians and personal govt. Taxis are nothing new
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/the-mystery-of-the-ministers-broken-down-car-355973.html

.Which politician got his ministerialife car to drop him to a helicopter to fly him home... and ministerial car to follow on and pick him up to complete the journey?

Leo and Simon are silver spoon boys so I suppose they're entitled to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

This echoes what I said earlier....it was common practise for the/a Ministerial car to be at the airport at journey's end for the ministerial arse to be carried home, so it involved two cars; one to get to the Don, one to get home and vice versa. God forbid he would have to use his actual, personal car. The car he or she nominally pays for is still a Govt car, when all is said and done, driven by a Garda or, as was often the case, a local political apparatchik .......I was once present when a Minister's child was flown from Baldonnel to the home airport, having been flown back from Europe, because said child was bored when Daddy was off politicking in Europe. Child had no business being there in the first place. Both empty aircraft then returned to their start points......it's all very well the pilot standing up to the Minister, for good reason. It's what happens later that matters.

Advertisement