Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Future Outlined and No Dart Underground Mentioned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

DU has been reviewed god knows how many times to "cut costs" or for other reasons that will likely mean once the final draft is finished, it ends up being unable to deliver all of the benefits and will need to be sorted out at great cost. typical but not expected.
    no doubt once that review is done another one will be. do it right or not at all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

:confused:
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I don't know how pushed IE are about DU especially considering it may not even be them operating it.

And where has it been suggested anywhere that IE wouldn't be operating DU?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sure, but you would think IR CEO would be wanting to push it in the media to continue to put pressure on the NTA and government to deliver it.

He is just been realistic, the case isn't strong enough for it. The elephant in the room was the PPT which now has service and there is potential to expand it off peak and the peak service is pretty good at the minute and compare well to existing route frequency. I'm sure with some works around Connolly combined with electrification of Maynooth line and possibly adjustments to the loop line to Glassnavion you can grow the service as required.

bk wrote: »
    Sure, but you would think IR CEO would be wanting to push it in the media to continue to put pressure on the NTA and government to deliver it.

Exactly, which is why it is very unlikely we will see DU for at least 20.

I genuinely think that article was about focussing minds on the "here and now" issues - funding the existing infrastructure so that it is maintained safely and getting sufficient rolling stock to reduce overcrowding.

There are limits to how far a semi-state CEO can push his luck with his paymasters. They all know where DU is - the review is underway, let's see what comes out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

thomasj wrote: »
    Blanch has a population in excess of 100k. Largest suburb in the country.

Blanch has a population of around 70k which is on par with Swords. Throwing money on a Luas line to Blanch(which can be served with a BRT really) does not make economic sense. Most of Cabra to Blanch is green fields. It does not make economic sense spending hundreds of millions on serving fields. There is zero economic benefit running a luas line through a green field

There is point building a ton of luas lines that really should be BRT. It will be harder to getting funding for luas line, it is more disruptive to build and costs more on maintenance/expansion.

The fact is the Government will not spend money on infastructure on Dublin. It is better to have a BRT now, than saying lets wait for the Luas line/metro that will not materialise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

lxflyer wrote: »
    DART Underground most certainly has not gone away.

It's currently under review

In Irish railway investment terms that's merely the difference between a zombie and a corpse sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Blanch has a population of around 70k which is on par with Swords. Throwing money on a Luas line to Blanch(which can be served with a BRT really) does not make economic sense. Most of Cabra to Blanch is green fields. It does not make economic sense spending hundreds of millions on serving fields. There is zero economic benefit running a luas line through a green field

There is point building a ton of luas lines that really should be BRT. It will be harder to getting funding for luas line, it is more disruptive to build and costs more on maintenance/expansion.

The fact is the Government will not spend money on infastructure on Dublin. It is better to have a BRT now, than saying lets wait for the Luas line/metro that will not materialise.

it actually makes more sense to build a luas line then spending it on a brt, which is effectively a ridiculously expensive bus service and which will probably have to have more money spent on increasing it's capacity a short time down the line. if you want blanch to rely on bus transport only then improving the existing services is the better option. you are not spending hundreds of millions to serve fields, you are spending money on providing high quality transport to a populated area that can future proof it and make it an attractive area to live.
    i'm not sure we actually know that building, expanding and maintaining luas lines is more disruptive and costs more then a brt as we haven't built any brt yet.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Blanch is nothing but a horrible shopping centre that would not look out of place in a state you have never heard of in the US, a few business parks aka glorified industrial estates and a generic low density housing. A BRT is fine for Blanch.

Pretty snobbish and poorly informed opinion - Blanchardstown has the 4th most popular tourist destination in Ireland with the NAC, it also has sports campus Ireland which just opened the largest athletics facility in the country. The center is the number 1 or 2 shopping destination (depending on if you include Westend) in the country so lots of people like or need it. In addition you have many of the highest earners of foreign income based in the are as it is a hub for Tech companies and the Pharma industry. ON top of that you have a major adult hospital and soon will have a major maternity hospital.
    The main thing Blanch is missing is a decent train and bus service. and some decent PR to stop the spread of such ill informed opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Blanch has a population of around 70k which is on par with Swords.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/population-statistics-27811360.html
    Blanchardstown grew by 10% to 100,894 people. It's the biggest single suburb in the greater Dublin area and is larger than most other cities and towns in the State. -

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    He is just been realistic, the case isn't strong enough for it. The elephant in the room was the PPT which now has service and there is potential to expand it off peak and the peak service is pretty good at the minute and compare well to existing route frequency. I'm sure with some works around Connolly combined with electrification of Maynooth line and possibly adjustments to the loop line to Glassnavion you can grow the service as required.

You serious? Views like this is why Ireland is in the Stone Age.

I take that PPT service to Celbridge once a week. It is about 20% full, it is incredibly slow until it gets past Heuston, it goes all around the world to take you from Connolly to Heuston (which it doesn't even stop at), and it causes delays to other services.

That's a perfectly good alternative to DU alright. Suuuuuuurrre.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »

I take that PPT service to Celbridge once a week. It is about 20% full, it is incredibly slow until it gets past Heuston, it goes all around the world to take you from Connolly to Heuston (which it doesn't even stop at), and it causes delays to other services.

DU will not reduce the times that much. The reason it's poorly loaded is be use there is a low population on the route it services unlike this to Newbridge.

And what time are you travelling on it when it's 20% full?

lxflyer wrote: »
    And what time are you travelling on it when it's 20% full?

6:21pm from Tara St. It's great, I sometimes get 4 seats to myself, and always get a seat by the window to charge my phone.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    DU will not reduce the times that much. The reason it's poorly loaded is be use there is a low population on the route it services unlike this to Newbridge.

So a fully segregated electrified rail link going from Celbridge to Pearse won't be much quicker than a diesel service which has to take a scenic route around Dublin, share the line with other trains (Maynooth, Sligo etc) and which has to go through the bottleneck of Connolly? What world are you living on?

And throw in frequency of service into the mix too.

So a fully segregated electrified rail link going from Celbridge to Pearse won't be much quicker than a diesel service which has to take a scenic route around Dublin and which has to go through the bottleneck of Connolly? What world are you living on?

And throw in frequency of service into the mix too.

Yes it might be marginally quicker, like I already said some improvements between Glassnavin and in Connolly can greatly enhance the service. Also extend the quad track in towards islandbirdge.

Anyway if anything you are much better off putting DU on the long finger or you will just get a watered down version like MN that is planned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Trying to save millions - even many of the posters on this board are obsessed with this - on Infrastructure project is the reason we are in the **** today.

Spend the money and cut the 'cheaper option' crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

6:21pm from Tara St. It's great, I sometimes get 4 seats to myself, and always get a seat by the window to charge my phone.

It's totally empty at pearse too ( I don't get on but it's clearly not used).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Trying to save millions - even many of the posters on this board are obsessed with this - on Infrastructure project is the reason we are in the **** today.

Why isnt QE used for infrastructure?

It's totally empty at pearse too ( I don't get on but it's clearly not used).

Not sure why people wouldn't use it though. Far easier for me to walk to Tara from Harcourt than to grind my way to Heuston. I bet there's plenty working in IFSC who get LUAS to Heuston out of pure habit / lack of awareness.

In the morning I get the train to Heuston and the LUAS though because the PPT times from Hazelhatch just do not suit for me to get to Harcourt at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

1725 service is a standing room only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

And throw in Athenry/Claremorris while you're at it - a drop in the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Donohue is not agreeing to doing a capital splurge on infrastructure.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/donohoe-rules-out-capital-splurge-on-infrastructure-1.3145435

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sgrand though. They can have fancy buses in Blanch while we upgrade the 13yo Luas Green Line to Metro.

Sgrand though. They can have fancy buses in Blanch while we upgrade the 13yo Luas Green Line to Metro.

see will you be writing that again on boards in 2027! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Maybe. Probably to rant about Kishoge remaining unopened. But I certainly hope that by the time 2027 comes around I will be living somewhere else.

Maybe ranting on boards.dk about my train to work in Odense being 35 seconds late. Hopefully…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

10 years and a couple of Luas extensions later

Stephen15 wrote: »
    10 years and a couple of Luas extensions later

Luas to Swords via the Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Infrastructure shouldn't even be considered "loans" or state spending but long term investments, despite all this commotion about new busses the problem is that theres not enough alternative infrastructure in Dublin to compensate for the traffic issues. People arent gonna give up the cars unless theres a more convenient or viable solution and all adding busses does is make the traffic situation worse.

Whats needed is heavy rail (NOT more metro) and expansion of the luas network, IR isnt exactly perfect its got a few muppets running it that just arent suitable for the job and shouldnt be there but the government has compounded the issues as well by just not properly maintaining funding. Blaming the staff isnt the solution either theyre not the ones in charge but the network needs serious reworking improvements and expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

And what light rail currently services Blanchardstown? Probably the largest urban population in Dublin!!
    So the reservation for the long-planned Blanchardstown branch was built over? I haven't heard that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Infini wrote: »
    Infrastructure shouldn't even be considered "loans" or state spending but long term investments; despite all this commotion about new buses, the problem is that there's not enough alternative infrastructure in Dublin to compensate for the traffic issues. People aren't gonna give up the cars unless there's a more convenient or viable solution and all adding buses does is make the traffic situation worse.

What's needed is heavy rail (NOT more metro) and expansion of the luas network. IR isn't exactly perfect; it's got a few muppets running it that just aren't suitable for the job and shouldn't be there, but the government has compounded the issues as well by just not properly maintaining funding. Blaming the staff isn't the solution; either they're not the ones in charge but the network needs serious reworking improvements and expansion.
    Hard to say "more metro" when there isn't any of it. And Luas is too small capacity-wise, too slow speed-wise in spite of its obvious misnomer (never mind conflicts with road traffic) and too unsafe security-wise. There should be several new lines of underground DART serving new city sections and suburbs in a radial fashion and at least one circular route to connect them further out from the city (of course, the way the government people think, they'll have to start removing bus routes, so watch out for that), and the Luas lines converted to DART if possible (definitely eliminating the surface tram lines in the city at least and going underground with that); indeed the whole thing should have been DART for the sake of having fewer spare parts inventories, not as much duplication of facilities, faster average speeds due to not being caught in road traffic (as with trams), and ease of transfer of equipment from line to line in case of need, but that ship may have sailed.

Advertisement