Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caloric deficit

Options
  • 03-07-2017 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all.

i'm a basic bulky guy who's been going to the gym the past 3 years and now beginning to believe that it's time to let go of the weight and drop the fat percentage down.

i've been on a caloric deficit of 1,700 calories a day for the last week, but always find myself feeling very hungry between meals. i know, i know, "you aren't going to lose fat if you're not hungry". but anyways i was just wondering how many hours to space meals.

my breakfast consists of two cups of black coffee.

lunch is maybe an omelette with peppers and mushroom or just scrambled eggs, (4 egg whites and 1 whole egg)

dinner consists of maybe i'd make turkey burgers or maybe even turkey mince tortilla wrap.

i'd have a protein shake after lunch and after working out in the gym.

keeping within the calorie mark isn't a problem, it's the fact that i think i may be holding on too long between meals because i'd have lunch at 1 pm and dinner at 6 pm.

and if anyone has any meal plans or even to add to what i'd usually eat feel free to let us know, i'm sure i'm not the only person in the comunity that wants to know about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A 1,700 kcal deficit per day... No wonder you're hungry. You must be bloody starving!

Why are you on such a huge deficit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭snapper1234

A 1,700 kcal deficit per day... No wonder you're hungry. You must be bloody starving!

its the only way that i can lose 1kg a week, i want it down as soon as possible and in fairness i am losing a fair bit, i'll do this for 3 weeks and then back to maybe 2,100 calories for 2 weeks then back to 1,700 for another 2 weeks and then by the end hopefully i'll be down to less than 77kg, at the moment im weighing in at 83kg and my height is only 5'5/5'6

its the only way that i can lose 1kg a week, i want it down as soon as possible and in fairness i am losing a fair bit, i'll do this for 3 weeks and then back to maybe 2,100 calories for 2 weeks then back to 1,700 for another 2 weeks and then by the end hopefully i'll be down to less than 77kg, at the moment im weighing in at 83kg and my height is only 5'5/5'6

Are you doing/planning much training/exercise while on the deficit?

Just be aware that you might not get enough of an energy intake to train and recover on such a high deficit.
    Make sure your protein intake is high as well so you don't suffer a lot of muscle loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I think the OP may have phrased this wrongly. I presume they mean they are eating 1700 calories a day, which is a deficit (of probably 500 cals per day assuming OP is male).

When I saw your daily food the thing that stood out for me was no food for breakfast. Could you have a bowl of porridge or some eggs for breakfast and lose some calories later in the day? If I miss breakfast I feel hungry all day as I'm always kind of "catching up" on calories.

Are you doing/planning much training/exercise while on the deficit?

Just be aware that you might not get enough of an energy intake to train and recover on such a high deficit.
    Make sure your protein intake is high as well so you don't suffer a lot of muscle loss.

i run in the morning around 6-8 am and gym at around 9 pm,ya im working off of the 40/40/20 plan as much as i can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Protein shakes won't fill you up, swap them for something more filling. Like a steak.

I think the OP may have phrased this wrongly. I presume they mean they are eating 1700 calories a day, which is a deficit (of probably 500 cals per day assuming OP is male).

When I saw your daily food the thing that stood out for me was no food for breakfast. Could you have a bowl of porridge or some eggs for breakfast and lose some calories later in the day? If I miss breakfast I feel hungry all day as I'm always kind of "catching up" on calories.

I started this coffee thing this week and I noticed I pushed myself harder when running, I just wanted to basically find out how to split meals throughout because I'm not really too hungry between 8-12 in the morning anyways. Just new experience because basically I use to cut but never cut enough fat. Now I just want to make a big change, and I don't know how to turn what's only 2 meals into basically 3 or 4 by just splitting them. I've lost the 1kg by doing what I did last week anyway.

I started this coffee thing this week and I noticed I pushed myself harder when running, I just wanted to basically find out how to split meals throughout because I'm not really too hungry between 8-12 in the morning anyways. Just new experience because basically I use to cut but never cut enough fat. Now I just want to make a big change, and I don't know how to turn what's only 2 meals into basically 3 or 4 by just splitting them. I've lost the 1kg by doing what I did last week anyway.

The coffee will help you as it also suppresses appetite as well as being a stimulant

The coffee will help you as it also suppresses appetite as well as being a stimulant
    I found having two cups before a run and two cups before gym gave me strength and power as well as not blowing out and giving up, I do powerlifting type exercises and I'm keeping my strength if not increasing weight while doing this. Just thought I'd make a change to myself instead of always going around like the lump I was, it just doesn't suit my small height.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You don't eat any vegetables, very low calorie and you can eat loads of them to your hearts content.

• Advertisement

You don't eat any vegetables, very low calorie and you can eat loads of them to your hearts content.

Yesterday I didn't have many vegetables but usually I eat a lot of veggies, mostly carrots and runner beans

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah ok, thought that was your typical day, some people don't really vary at all. That's not so bad then. The more of them (with variety) the better, try making them in a way you like, roasting etc. Roast cauliflower, butternut squash etc are great.

It's just a stopgap, you will be hungry at that much of a deficit but maybe having something low cal to snack on when hungry would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's your current weight?
    If 1700 is your intake per a day, the calorie deficit could be anywhere from 500-1000. Which is probably reasonable enough. But toward the 1000 end, I'm not surprised you're hungry.

I'm currently eating 1600ish 4 or 5 days a week. I split it into 3 meals (8pm, 2pm and either 7pm or 9pm) and maybe 3 snacks throughout the day.

Ah ok, thought that was your typical day, some people don't really vary at all. That's not so bad then. The more of them (with variety) the better, try making them in a way you like, roasting etc. Roast cauliflower, butternut squash etc are great.

It's just a stopgap, you will be hungry at that much of a deficit but maybe having something low cal to snack on when hungry would be good.

Some nights I'd have maybe quorn mince, brown rice and roasted veggies and sometimes fried with some pasta sauce which really fills me so what I did yesterday was split my dinner in half and ate half at 5 and the other half when I was back from the gym

Mellor wrote: »
    If 1700 is your intake per a day, the calorie deficit could be anywhere from 500-1000. Which is probably reasonable enough. But toward the 1000 end, I'm not surprised you're hungry.

I'm currently eating 1600ish 4 or 5 days a week. I split it into 3 meals (8pm, 2pm and either 7pm or 9pm) and maybe 3 snacks throughout the day.
    My weight at the moment is 83kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm not implying anyone on this thread suffers from anything in this article, but I read this earlier and it reminded me of this thread, https://www.outsideonline.com/2191906/eating-disorders-are-more-common-you-think

I'm fully aware of the requirements of a good diet and all that, but some of the stuff here reads like penance to me, and not good in the long run.

It reads as his deficit is 1700, which seems too high to me if that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I think what OP meant is that their current daily intake is 1700 calories rather than they are eating 1700 calories below whatever their maintenance calories are. At least I would hope that's the case.

DylanJM wrote: »

I think what OP meant is that their current daily intake is 1700 calories rather than they are eating 1700 calories below whatever their maintenance calories are. At least I would hope that's the case.

My maintenance calorie intake is 2300 calories I'm down to 1700 calories at the moment, after next week I'll be back to 1800 calories

My maintenance calorie intake is 2300 calories I'm down to 1700 calories at the moment, after next week I'll be back to 1800 calories
    How many days a week are you running/gym?
    If it's most days I'd say your maintenance is higher, if it's less it'll be closer to 2300

• Advertisement

How many days a week are you running/gym?
    If it's most days I'd say your maintenance is higher, if it's less it'll be closer to 2300
    Everyday apart from Sunday's

[
    I'd guess it's probably higher so. But don't worry about it. If you are finding 1700 ok then might as well stick with the plan.

I don't think you are leaving too long between meals, as I said earlier I eat lunch at 2pm and dinner at 7pm, or even later if Im training at 7pm

[
    I'd guess it's probably higher so. But don't worry about it. If you are finding 1700 ok then might as well stick with the plan.

I don't think you are leaving too long between meals, as I said earlier I eat lunch at 2pm and dinner at 7pm, or even later if Im training at 7pm

I usually get sick after I work out so I split my dinner in half for before and after the gym so I can keep some energy for afterwards too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I usually get sick after I work out so I split my dinner in half for before and after the gym so I can keep some energy for afterwards too

Usually?! That's not normal tbh. If you are regularly vomiting after a workout something is badly amiss imo.

DylanJM wrote: »

Usually?! That's not normal tbh. If you are regularly vomiting after a workout something is badly amiss imo.
    My workouts are hard going so it's quite normal, I workout till I get sick

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That's not normal.

It isn't. Plenty of people work hard when they train. If you train til you get sick, you'd want to have a look at what you're doing.

That's not good mate. What exactly do these workout consists of? If something making you sick or are you actually striving for it?

That's not normal.

It isn't. Plenty of people work hard when they train. If you train til you get sick, you'd want to have a look at what you're doing.
    That's not good mate. What exactly do these workout consists of? If something making you sick or are you actually striving for it?

I'm striving for it, loads of people work till they're sick... that's how they know they have done it right. Lots of people even bring buckets sometimes if they know it's a hard workout usually happens on pull days and leg days

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If that's not trolling, that's beyond abnormal.

Getting sick doesn't mean you've done it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm striving for it, loads of people work till they're sick... that's how they know they have done it right. Lots of people even bring buckets sometimes if they know it's a hard workout usually happens on pull days and leg days

What's the point in eating in the first place if you plan on vomiting it out afterwards? Reads like an eating disorder.

Advertisement