Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year of Crossfit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Reading this with interest as I joined Crossfit there about a month ago. I come from a "not really bothered to exercise" background. Have to say, the attention on form over weight lifted in the beginner class in mine was something I really liked. Also checking in with people at the start as to how they were after the last session & repeating that if doing certain lifts is hurting your lower back for example, then stop as that's not right. Maybe the injuries come as you move up the programmes. I've just moved out of beginner into the first level in mine and it's just a slightly more tough version of the beginner but with the responsibility more with you rather than relying on the trainer for everything.

I've done personal training sessions in normal gyms and hated every second of them and more so when they would push so hard on certain machines that I could barely walk out to my car afterwards. I suppose it's what works for individuals.

Plus 1 to this! I've been doing Crossfit for two years now and I love it, great instruction and supervision from coaches and no injuries for me. I've been to a few different boxes and they've all been great.
    Everyone's experience is different, but mine has been fantastic so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

l
    cactusgal wrote: »
    Plus 1 to this! I've been doing Crossfit for two years now and I love it, great instruction and supervision from coaches and no injuries for me. I've been to a few different boxes and they've all been great.
    Everyone's experience is different, but mine has been fantastic so far.

I'd +1 here also. I've joined CrossFit just over a month ago and I've done about 10 sessions. Just turned 40 and my mind thought I was fitter than I was.... desk job but played basketball periodically.

The benefits I've seen in just 10 classes is WAY more than anything I've ever done before. Everything that can be done can also be scaled and the trainers will scale you accordingly, if your form suffers on something they'll ask you to scale back to keep form..... get the form right, the weight will come in due course, and that goes for everything.... not just weights, all of the movements (push ups, pull ups, burpees etc. etc. etc).

What I find superb is the community spirit in the gym. Everyone encourages everyone on, whether you're doing it years and smashing RX weight or whether you have a bar and focusing on form...

I'm feeling a lot stronger already and can already see the changes. 1 month in but I can see me doing it for quite some time. As long as I'm better than the person I was yesterday and keep progressing I'll be happy! very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The ripped up hand was probably caused by high reps, kipups, on a bar that was exposed to the sun. It's covered in the link below

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/open-letter-to-crossfit-hq

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good article and a pretty ugly insight to the crossfit games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Mellor wrote: »
    Good article and a pretty ugly insight to the crossfit games.
    competition is a totally different beast

Overall the general programming by most crossfit gyms is quite poor and a sure sign of that is if the gym keeps calling their members athletes and puts too much emphasis on competition instead of just training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Transform wrote: »

Overall the general programming by most crossfit gyms is quite poor

In what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

JJayoo wrote:
    The ripped up hand was probably caused by high reps, kipups, on a bar that was exposed to the sun. It's covered in the link below

I'm just laughing at the "on a bar that was exposed to the sun" part.. you do realise this is Ireland? I don't think any part of the country has nice enough weather to have bars outside not to mind exposed to the sun in any way compared to this particular incident in California! The games could be better organised so that this sh*t doesnt happen but thats just the games. The majority of crossfitters in Ireland aren't on that level! And rips happen because your hands are being used in a way that they havent been before or the high number of reps mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

mcgiggles wrote: »
    I'm just laughing at the "on a bar that was exposed to the sun" part.. you do realise this is Ireland? I don't think any part of the country has nice enough weather to have bars outside not to mind exposed to the sun in any way compared to this particular incident in California! The games could be better organised so that this sh*t doesnt happen but thats just the games. The majority of crossfitters in Ireland aren't on that level! And rips happen because your hands are being used in a way that they havent been before or the high number of reps mentioned

That is a cool story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Transform wrote: »
    fundamentally he problem is programming, always was and always will be.

Ive been writing on this topic for years but unfortunately it takes a mature and often times injured audience to sit up and take notice.

Theres already been a shift in the industry and in the next two years there will be decreased number of crossfit gyms as more de-affiliate yet this wont solve the problem for many as they just take the crossfit brand off and continue on their merry way with poor programming and the search for the ultimate "killer workout".

This is NOT exclusive to crossfit at all and exists in ALL gyms, commercial and small private gyms.

Its tied up in the global sense of more and not being good enough so people base their value on the measuring stick yet "never ending growth is the ideology of the cancer cell only".

Injuries often cant be prevented but its up to the coaches to have systems in place for early detection (99% dont have this) and limit exposure to unnecessary risk.

Constantly varied functional movements = good
    Performed at high intensity (often in every single workout) = really really bad ideal and shows total lack of principle led training

Good (crossfit) gyms have adapted, the rest will die out which is actually needed right now

stop talking sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    stop talking sense
    easier to sell promises than truth

• Advertisement
Advertisement