Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A return flight to Europe for €5.50

Options
  • 01-07-2017 9:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

1. Buy 3x1.75l Coke at Tesco for €4.50
    2. Upload receipt, print form, post form to Sweete for €1 stamp
    3. Choose 3 locations & 3 months - you will then be allocated a choice from these.

A no-show will be €25 where the passenger cancels, €85 for passengers who fail to show up.
    Destinations: Madrid, Milan, Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, Sofia, Tours & Liverpool.
    Loadsa t&c's http://www.coca-colaflights.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can kinda see how they can do it so cheap now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Bit of a con really , your gambling on dates and destination.
    Personally id rather find a €20 flight on ryanair and know exactly where and when im going.
    Still im sure loads will be in a position to take advantage but im not sure if its a return flight?
    reminds me of the "free" hotel deals where you had to buy meals and they cost more than a standard B&B rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I have to drink 5L of coke and may end up having to visit Liverpool? Quite the punishment this bargain is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

What are the months they pick from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Tinie wrote: »
    What are the months they pick from?
    Based on the t&c's, I expect it is September-February inclusive. It states application within one month of closing date (25/07) and then travel completed within 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's the same crowd who ran the Herald flight offer. Didn't have a good experience with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

GBX wrote: »
    That's the same crowd who ran the Herald flight offer. Didn't have a good experience with them.

Care to elaborate as to why you didn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Read the terms and conditions.

In a few words -

If you like to travel on your own (extra person €99 + taxes and charges) on a date we choose and a time we choose to one of three locations you have given us from a very limited choice we gave you and don't change your mind, then you'll get a free ticket. Remember you can't choose bank holidays, Christmas or other periods we decide.

Simpler - "we've got a deal on a load of off peak flights to second-rate locations that normally are sold at €9.99 and if you jump through loads of hoops, we'll give them to you free"

Yep, utter sh1te offer for most people.

Will suit some though.

Now if they did an offer like Hoover did.... :):):) (hoover went bust from it)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

GBX wrote: »

Dreadful company to deal with ... did the (Indo) flights and hotel offers, never got anywhere with them ... wouldn't bother at all ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As Holly said . Useless and very unhelpful. Yeah you get what you pay for but even still they shouldn't be so amateurish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can we get the title changed to reflect its non bargainness?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can never understand why successful companies, team up with companies like this to run awful promotions.

It is still a €5.50 return flight to Europe regardless of how you look at it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

etselbbuns wrote: »
    It is still a €5.50 return flight to Europe regardless of how you look at it :D
    You could look at as a €25 bet that their dates will suit you.

Only if they do, you get €19.50 and a flight back.

Odd dates are one thing, but stupid O'Clock means you may need to budget for a taxi too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I entered it for a laugh anyway as I wouldn't buy Coca Cola normally and got a bit sucked in by the offer of free flights as I am keen traveller.

Sofia is furthest away so getting a free flight there would possibly give the biggest value out of it.

These are the Eight cities and their respective distances from Dublin Airport, all cities are served by Ryanair from Dublin so I am thinking its likely that Ryanair would be the airline you'd get the free flights on.

Sofia (1,546 mi)
    Madrid (902 mi)
    Milan (861 mi)
    Copenhagen (774 mi)
    Tours Loire Valley (516 mi)
    Brussels (489 mi)
    Amsterdam (468 mi)
    Liverpool (142 mi)

The promotional material in Tesco is very misleading as it shows Paris, Rome and Lisbon on the advertising but none of these three cities are actually included in the free flights offer.

There is another promotion running involving a serial number on the back of the labels where you might win flights to those areas and my bottle of Coke Zero said Toronto which put me thinking free flights to Toronto; Whats the catch? Are they after adding even more nasty chemicals into it and are we to be unwitting guinea pigs for their vile product :D.

Anyway never the less after spending €4.50 of basically acidic metal stripper I will plough ahead and firstly try demand free flights to either Paris, Rome and Lisbon as per their dodgy advertising. Failing that I may settle for

Sofia (1,546 mi)
    Madrid (902 mi)
    Milan (861 mi)

Bearing in mind that if you add somewhere like Liverpool to your choice they will probably give you whichever area is closest and thus likely to be cheapest. As the free flights will be during low winter time season its also worth remembering the weather in some of these places will be less than appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

This is the same shower of jokers that had a similar promotion last year with the Irish Independent. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Doltanian wrote: »
    I entered it for a laugh anyway as I wouldn't buy Coca Cola normally and got a bit sucked in by the offer of free flights as I am keen traveller.

Sofia is furthest away so getting a free flight there would possibly give the biggest value out of it.

These are the Eight cities and their respective distances from Dublin Airport, all cities are served by Ryanair from Dublin so I am thinking its likely that Ryanair would be the airline you'd get the free flights on.

Sofia (1,546 mi)
    Madrid (902 mi)
    Milan (861 mi)
    Copenhagen (774 mi)
    Tours Loire Valley (516 mi)
    Brussels (489 mi)
    Amsterdam (468 mi)
    Liverpool (142 mi)

The promotional material in Tesco is very misleading as it shows Paris, Rome and Lisbon on the advertising but none of these three cities are actually included in the free flights offer.

There is another promotion running involving a serial number on the back of the labels where you might win flights to those areas and my bottle of Coke Zero said Toronto which put me thinking free flights to Toronto; Whats the catch? Are they after adding even more nasty chemicals into it and are we to be unwitting guinea pigs for their vile product :D.

Anyway never the less after spending €4.50 of basically acidic metal stripper I will plough ahead and firstly try demand free flights to either Paris, Rome and Lisbon as per their dodgy advertising. Failing that I may settle for

Sofia (1,546 mi)
    Madrid (902 mi)
    Milan (861 mi)

Bearing in mind that if you add somewhere like Liverpool to your choice they will probably give you whichever area is closest and thus likely to be cheapest. As the free flights will be during low winter time season its also worth remembering the weather in some of these places will be less than appealing.

I'd be surprised if you even hear back from them regarding your choices ... then when you call them, they will not be able to access your information or someone that you need to talk to is not in the office but they will call you back later ... and they never do ... and then when you call again, several times later, they will offer you something there and then on the phone, never in writing ... something very, very short term and completely unrealistic (your 3rd choice at best) and you get to decide within 24/48 hrs ... and if you don't, then they will cancel the offer ... and then that's it ... what a deal!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Could you return the coke after uploading your receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

Has anybody heard back after signing up for this?

• Advertisement

Not yet and I printed off the form and returned it on the 4th of July, one month ago exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Can't believe Coke would use this company for one of their promos based on previous problems.
    You will be waiting a while and then have to wait again to get the offer(s) afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

missed a call from Sweete today,look like they are finally start to give out offers for flights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm bummed i missed this :( i've got flights to Paris coming up as a result of the Applegreen reward points that is also run through Sweete. The choices are much more interesting in the coke promotion. I think if you don't mind where & when you go then these are a good option for cheap flights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Now if they did an offer like Hoover did.... :):):) (hoover went bust from it)

Hoover was fine until they got greedy........
    Their UK arm was manufacturing vast quantities of appliances they weren't able to sell- so they came up with a whizz- two free tickets to Europe with any appliance priced at over £100. It was the year I went to Uni- 1992- we followed it in marketing- with a sense of glee. All went well with the initial leg of the promotion- the two flights were worth about £40-£50- it was a nice fillup- and only a small number of customers went on to claim- meanwhile the warehouses emptied somewhat. Execs then got greedy- and figured- look at all the stuff we still have in storage- if we change the promotion to a choice of flights to Florida or New York- which at that time cost in the region of £600-£700- that they'd be sure to flog the contents of their warehouses. So they did. Only for whatever reason- they left the qualifying spend at £100- so you could spend £100 buying an appliance- and claim a £700 flight.........

A group of appliance purchasers got together in one of the first class action lawsuits- and brought Hoover to court- when a story was published in a tabloid newspaper- indicating Hoover hadn't bought any flights for anyone at all. Quelle suprise- they won the case......... Hoover ended up shelling out over £50m in 1991-1992 money for flights- which was about 4-5 times their annual turn-over at the time.

The American owner of the company- fired most of the UK Management- and flogged the gutted carcass of the company to Candy, then an Italian company, for a pittance.

The original scheme- where you got 2 tickets to a selection of EU destinations- with a lot of caveats- was fine- but the company got greedy- and imagined they'd be the belle of the ball if they flogged the entirety of their warehouses- and some fool somewhere- never changed the qualifying spend- in a commensurate manner (which would have put the qualifying spend up at well over a grand- and *not* a hundred quid).

Hoover is still around as a brand- the European branch continues to be owned by Candy- and it sells about 12 times more in value in washing machines and driers than it does vacuum cleaners- whereas the US and worldwide leg of the company- are owned by the original Hoover holding company.

Pity I didn't have a hundred quid to spare at the time........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I enjoyed flights to florida on them, stayed with friends, saw space shuttle blast off, played loads of golf.

Their basic error was not having any conditions attached to the flights like most similar promos had - such as you would have to stay in a certain group of hotels and eat meals there.

Nope, zero conditions attached except buy the appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hoover

There's a good video about the whole thing on this guy's youtube channel.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

t if we change the promotion to a choice of flights to Florida or New York- which at that time cost in the region of £600-£700- that they'd be sure to flog the contents of their warehouses. So they did. Only for whatever reason- they left the qualifying spend at £100- so you could spend £100 buying an appliance- and claim a £700 flight.........

And most people flogged off their unwanted Hoovers after taking the flights for small money :).

Doltanian wrote: »
    Not yet and I printed off the form and returned it on the 4th of July, one month ago exactly.
    Any update after almost two months?

• Advertisement

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Any update after almost two months?

No contact here as of yet.

Advertisement