Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OP5 or HTCU11

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

corwill wrote: »
    The camera on the U11 seems to be fantastic, alright. If photography is your thing, then it's definitely the market leader right now.

I think the Camera will improve on the OP5. It definitely did with software updates on the OPO and OPX.

I can't get over how good the battery is on the OP5.

I was tempted by the U11 but the shiny back put me off. I did really like the idea of the squeeze sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think the Camera will improve on the OP5. It definitely did with software updates on the OPO and OPX.

I can't get over how good the battery is on the OP5.

I was tempted by the U11 but the shiny back put me off. I did really like the idea of the squeeze sense.

Aside from price and negative experience with software updates on the HTC 10 (which I think is less likely to be an issue, given that the U11 is selling so much better than the 10), I was a bit skeptical of how sturdy the U11 would be. Not so much the glass back, as the frame itself, given the engineering required for the squeeze feature. A couple of bend tests on youtube seem to bear it out. Wouldn't be a worry for careful, non-clumsy types, but I'm a Buster Keaton tribute act. The OP5 is reassuringly sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jelly scrolling is apparently related to them mounting the panel upside down. May/may not be fixable in a kernel optimization. If not, RIP.

ED E wrote: »
    Jelly scrolling is apparently related to them mounting the panel upside down. May/may not be fixable in a kernel optimization. If not, RIP.

It's a non issue for me and I'd guess most people won't even notice. I never even noticed it until read an article about, and I have to look really hard to see it even now.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's a non issue for me and I'd guess most people won't even notice. I never even noticed it until read an article about, and I have to look really hard to see it even now.

Still a much more noticeable issue than the 'it will bend if you try really hard to bend it' issue :pac:

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Still a much more noticeable issue than the 'it will bend if you try really hard to bend it' issue :pac:

All phones will bend if you try hard enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Basil3 wrote: »

God, I wished bending or otherwise wrecking stuff only happened when I was trying!

The jelly scroll is weird. It really isn't so bad on my own OP5, but it looks pretty shocking on some of the Youtube videos I've seen. While the seeming source of the issue is there in every OP5, it's not manifesting itself consistently, at all. Not one review on launch (at least, not that I've seen) mentions it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

I currently have the HTC M9 which I'm hoping to sell for €150-€200. I have the option of buying the One Plus 5 for €500 and a sim only deal with Three for €20 p/m or the HTC U11 for €350 with a Vodaphone friends and family deal €35 p/m for 24 months.
    Ive read so much about both phones at this stage and am still finding it very hard to pick one. My main requirements are a good battery, smooth processing & camera.

What does everyone think?

I currently have the HTC M9 which I'm hoping to sell for €150-€200. I have the option of buying the One Plus 5 for €500 and a sim only deal with Three for €20 p/m or the HTC U11 for €350 with a Vodaphone friends and family deal €35 p/m for 24 months.
    Ive read so much about both phones at this stage and am still finding it very hard to pick one. My main requirements are a good battery, smooth processing & camera.

What does everyone think?

Battery life: OP5 better (web browsing usage similar between the two, video playback OP5 much better)

Smoothness: Doubt you'd see a difference between the two

Camera: U11 win (better quality, especially low light, although OP5 has telephoto)

As you can see, it's a simple choice :pac:

• Advertisement

Its ridiculous really! I am usually quiet decisive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I don't think the choice is simple when you start delving in.
    For example, look at JerryRigEverything.   He found the OP5 had a ceramic fingerprint reader which would not scratch. Same with back camera surround (with sapphire lense) and a metal earpiece.  The U11 had an easily scratchable fingerprint reader (though not as bad as the S7) and the earpiece/speaker is made from fabric.  So while you might not tear it, could be a dust magnet like some of the Nexus phones.
    The camera on the U11 is superior on paper and according to DXO mark but some reviewers have not been impressed.  
    White balance and overexposure in day light using auto mode according to below.
    http://pocketnow.com/2017/06/06/htc-u11-real-camera-review-video
    And same below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL1osQVJiYM

Flaccus wrote: »
    I don't think the choice is simple when you start delving in.
    For example, look at JerryRigEverything.   He found the OP5 had a ceramic fingerprint reader which would not scratch. Same with back camera surround (with sapphire lense) and a metal earpiece.  The U11 had an easily scratchable fingerprint reader (though not as bad as the S7) and the earpiece/speaker is made from fabric.  So while you might not tear it, could be a dust magnet like some of the Nexus phones.
    The camera on the U11 is superior on paper and according to DXO mark but some reviewers have not been impressed.  
    White balance and overexposure in day light using auto mode according to below.
    http://pocketnow.com/2017/06/06/htc-u11-real-camera-review-video
    And same below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL1osQVJiYM

I was being sarcastic when I said it was a simple choice.

The U11 camera is superior on paper and in practice. I don't think you'll find one review that rates the OP5 over the U11 for the camera. The overblown lights is obviously a choice made by HTC to make the rest of a night shot brighter, but you can swipe up or down to adjust exposure to your liking. The reality is that it's a better sensor with better image processing.

JerryRig has a bit of a cult following, but he's providing situations which just won't happen. I've owned devices that he rates the top for durability, and ones he puts on the wall of shame. I couldn't notice any difference because I don't actively go out of my way to destroy stuff. If you're the type of person that has bent phones in the past, or scratched them to death, then I'd suggest looking after your devices as well as putting them in a cover.

The reality is that I doubt anyone would be disappointed with either device.

Patww79 wrote: »

You're desperate when JRE comes out :D

They're both good phones and anyone will be happy with either but, simply put, the camera is better on the U11. It is widely regarded as so. If the 5 was top of every area like you're trying to claim it is then it wouldn't be 500 quid.[/quote]
    I NEVER claimed anything, only pointed to what reviewers said

Still undecided but leaning towards getting the U11 having had a loan of one for 2 days. Really impressed with the overall package. The only thing is I can't decide to go for Sapphire blue or Solar Red. I think either in a Spigen liquid crystal case would look amazing. I value form as well as function. Also, if it's as easy to mod with Viper as the HTC10 is I'd be all over that as Sense is looking a bit tired.

Regarding the One Plus 5, only had the use of it for an hour or so. Preferred the UI on it to the U11 and the little extra useful features. Screen is pretty good too. Could not see the jelly effect. Took a few indoor and outdoor pics in good light and they were decent enough but the untrained eye they were inferior to the U11 shots. Also design is a bit meh.

Probably would be happy with either phone, especially as the cost saving on the OP5 would be nice, and lack of water proofing or expandable storage isn't an issue as I'd be going for the 128GB. On the other hand the U11 just looks hell of a lot better.

Going to buy when I get paid next week. Probably end up flipping a coin. lol.

After much deliberation Ive decided to go with the HTC U11. I think €500 is a bit much for the One Plus 5 and I'm slightly worried that it'll be a second gen in 6 months when the One Plus 5T comes out.
    Wish me luck!

After much deliberation Ive decided to go with the HTC U11. I think €500 is a bit much for the One Plus 5 and I'm slightly worried that it'll be a second gen in 6 months when the One Plus 5T comes out.
    Wish me luck!

Good luck! Thinking the u11 now too. U buying direct from HTC Ireland? What colour?

Im actually buying it in Vodaphone. I can avail of the friends and family deal there so I'll pay €350 for the phone on bill.
    Going with the Sapphire Blue as thats the only one there are stocking. It looks great though so I'm happy out.

• Advertisement

The eagle has landed! Just setting everything up now. Gotta say the sapphire blue looks amazing. Initial use with the fingerprint scanner is very impressive

Is the back of the U11 made of gorilla glass 5 like the S8 or is it softer stuff ? I had my S8+ since launch in one of these bumpers and not a single mark despite the back been exposed.

https://rhinoshield.io/products/samsung-galaxy-s8-plus-bumper-case?variant=32457480577

Is the back of the U11 made of gorilla glass 5 like the S8 or is it softer stuff ? I had my S8+ since launch in one of these bumpers and not a single mark despite the back been exposed.

https://rhinoshield.io/products/samsung-galaxy-s8-plus-bumper-case?variant=32457480577

Supposedly GG5, although I don't actually think there has been any improvement in gorilla glass scratch resistance for several iterations now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The only thing is I can't decide to go for Sapphire blue or Solar Red.

I love the deep red colour of the Solar Red but I have a niggly feeling that the rose gold kinda colour under different viewing angles would wind up annoying me!

Testament1 wrote: »
    I love the deep red colour of the Solar Red but I have a niggly feeling that the rose gold kinda colour under different viewing angles would wind up annoying me!

Hahah...exactly my thoughts. Also the dual sim implementation on the Solar Red is a bit crap. You can only have lte enabled on one and it's dual sim dual standby so while both sims can be active at a time, if a call or data comes through on one sim, the other goes inactive as there is only one receiver on the U11.

I might get the Sapphire blue :)

Charged the phone fully yesterday around 3pm and I'm now at 35% battery. Ive been using the phone a lot getting apps things set-up, listening to Spotify and playing around with the camera.
    The phone is super fast and I've no complaints so far. The edge sense will take a small bit of getting used to but I'd say it'll be a useful feature going forward.

I'm either going to order from HTC Ireland today for 674 euro or get one on PAYG in a VF shop for 700 (have 30 euro VF voucher left over from last year). Thing is I'm on hols next week and need the phone to be delivered by Friday evening.

Advertisement