Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OP5 or HTCU11

Options
  • 01-07-2017 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

S8 gone. Lag intolerable.

As far as can tell OP5 has no lag but camera needs updates and so far only build quality issue is a few complaints about loose volume rockers. Not bothered about 1080p only or bezels or no micro SD as 128Gb enough.

The u11, better camera, awesome audio but some posts on forums about backlight bleed. Would be over 100€ more if I went with the 6gb one on adverts.

Going to order tomorrow so made separate thread as hoping for some input.

For me priority is smooth experience, screen, headphone audio and camera last.

Comments

Flaccus wrote: »
    S8 gone. Lag intolerable.

As far as can tell OP5 has no lag but camera needs updates and so far only build quality issue is a few complaints about loose volume rockers. Not bothered about 1080p only or bezels or no micro SD as 128Gb enough.

The u11, better camera, awesome audio but some posts on forums about backlight bleed. Would be over 100€ more if I went with the 6gb one on adverts.

Going to order tomorrow so made separate thread as hoping for some input.

For me priority is smooth experience, screen, headphone audio and camera last.

I really don't think there's a huge difference between the two in the features you're bothered by. I guess it comes down to whether the win for HTC in most categories is enough to justify the extra cost.

Apart from that, the only 2 things I can see that set the U11 apart from the OP5 would be the squeeze functionally (which I find surprisingly useful, and use daily) and water resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks. Will have a play with a U11 in a Three store this morning before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The difference to me is there are no compromises on U11.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The difference to me is there are no compromises on U11.

Worth going for the 6Gb version ?
    Probably no direct warranty with HTC and only through third party. Wondering if faster then 4Gb in real world use. Only concerns I expressed before are getting one with bad back light bleed. I also read a weird one over on XDA about how manufacturer water marks showing in front and back glass if the glass is smudged. Also some complaints about sharp edges on back and motor going crazy when camera starts. Seem like isolated incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

And iv a lob sided power button im currently having a argument with them about.

Just looking at my ram now, 2.7 used out of 3.6, 53 apps used over the last while. Phone is lightening fast with no lag. 6gbs is over kill imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Android uses all the ram it can by default, its not like windows. Having all your memory full is normal not a problem.

3GB is MORE than plenty.

Id be going for the U11 probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

If OTA updates to stock firmware are a concern to you, don't be relying on HTC, judging by the HTC10.

corwill wrote: »
    If OTA updates to stock firmware are a concern to you, don't be relying on HTC, judging by the HTC10.

You're on a one man crusade :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

https://youtu.be/D_QEDkjU78o

https://youtu.be/ooXmOQ9mxHM

Good battery benchmarks for the OP5

Basil3 wrote: »
    You're on a one man crusade :pac:

Look, it's not a concern for some, but I wish I'd been aware of HTC's delinquency in this regard before I'd spent last May.

• Advertisement

Look, it's not a concern for some, but I wish I'd been aware of HTC's delinquency in this regard before I'd spent last May.

Does a lack of security updates affect you that much? The 10 is on Nougat and it will receive Android O. The 10 is a great phone, I don't know why not getting a security patch will make you regret buying it.

Does a lack of security updates affect you that much? The 10 is on Nougat and it will receive Android O. The 10 is a great phone, I don't know why not getting a security patch will make you regret buying it.

It's not so much the security patch (although being 6 months behind is piss weak), it's also the shoddy 7.0 update that seriously deteriorated battery performance (ref. XDA). Outliers that have made it to 7.1.1 ahead of the 10 include the Nextbit Robin, the ZTE Axon 7, the Moto G4 Plus and the Xperia Z4 tablet (despite Sony having exited the tablet business). As lovely as the hardware was, the 10 has been a **** show software-wise. Given the shallow skin of Android that Sense represents, HTC have no real excuse for their update track record with the 10. They haven't even bothered to roll out updates in Europe that were made available several weeks ago in the US.

Like I said, it's not a problem for everyone. Not an issue for custom ROMmers, granted. And the U11 seems to be selling much better than the 10, so maybe it won't suffer the same fate. But I do notice that no one else has been posting on the 10's thread on here for a while now, maybe I'm not the only one to vote with their feet/wallets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote:

I happen to disagree to an extent , there are some aspects that OP5 have beaten U11 including battery and charge it depends on what you want in a phone.

I have a HTC desire 825 , and while I agree cost may have played a part, it is the worst phone I have ever had bar none to the point that I'm wondering could I get another HTC phone.

thomasj wrote: »
    I happen to disagree to an extent , there are some aspects that OP5 have beaten U11 including battery and charge it depends on what you want in a phone.

I have a HTC desire 825 , and while I agree cost may have played a part, it is the worst phone I have ever had bar none to the point that I'm wondering could I get another HTC phone.

Battery is about the same between the U11 and the OP5.

And yeah, HTC mid rangers suck.

And yeah, HTC mid rangers suck.

They really just gave up on mid-range/entry level. The Desire Eye looked like a really nice handset, but that's the last non-flagship out of them I can remember being worth a look.

How do ye feel about the lack of headphone jack in the U11? For me it's a showstopper.

Patww79 wrote:

Convinience, it's just so much handier to carry around small headphones than those bulky Bluetooth headphones.

• Advertisement

Okay I give you that i was thinking about the big headset you see on people's heads such as beats.

but it's another thing added to the list of things I have to charge on a daily basis!

Patww79 wrote:

Yeah that would have me worried it reminds me of Conan's mock of an iPhone airbuds as where they keep losing the airbuds (keep falling out of their ears)

It's crazy , most android smes came out to say they were keeping the headphone jack even googles pixel and mentioned it. Oneplus did a poll to ask did people want it to remain and the answer was a unanimous yes.

It was raised in a couple of reviews of why the need to drop the headphone jack given the phone is big enough plenty of space for the headphone jack.

It's not a bad phone good reviews on battery , sound has always been good and I have gotten used to the software with this disaster of a phone I have but the squeeze thing is a gimmick and I couldn't get over dropping the headphone jack that's a stopper for me.

Well the OP5 8gb is out of stock at the moment, so it gives me a bit more time to decide.

I am still wondering about the headphone capabilities on the U11. If the Usonics break, not alot of choice out there for usb-c headphones (guess you could order another pair of unsonis) and as there is no amp in the phone you will have to rely on the adaptor (which has built in amp and dac) if you go down the 3.5mm route. By all accounts it's a bit weak and even the likes of the S8 has less noise and more dynamic range. I don't rate bluetooth headphones at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bqOuQe_pmM (go to 2:10)

https://www.whathifi.com/htc/u11/review

I'll probably end up using my usb dac with 3.5mm headphones when listening to lossless audio
    https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-xs

HTC U11: More money, more quality (as you'd expect)

https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-5-vs-htc-u11?amp

HTC U11: More money, more quality (as you'd expect)

https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-5-vs-htc-u11?amp

33% more, though? Maybe for some folks, not for others.

33% more, though? Maybe for some folks, not for others.

Exactly. You have to weigh up whether the better screen, camera, sound and waterproofing justifies the cost. For some people, these things aren't important.

Exactly. You have to weigh up whether the better screen, camera, sound and waterproofing justifies the cost. For some people, these things aren't important.

The screen is arguable, FHD v QHD on a 5.5" screen to the naked eye? Unless you're into 3D, I'm betting most people would fail a Pepsi challenge in day to day use. Comparing sound to the HTC 10, the earphone output is indistinguishable quality wise, and volume is far better. The U11 might be a whole lot, rather than incrementally, better than the 10 in terms of sound. Speaker on the OP5 is a bit tinny at high volumes, but I'm not a teenager trying to annoy fellow passengers on the top deck of the 27, so not going to mind too much about that. Plus the OP5 has an analogue headphone jack, not an issue for some, but a big plus for many others.

The screen is arguable, FHD v QHD on a 5.5" screen to the naked eye? Unless you're into 3D, I'm betting most people would fail a Pepsi challenge in day to day use. Comparing sound to the HTC 10, the earphone output is indistinguishable quality wise, and volume is far better. The U11 might be a whole lot, rather than incrementally, better than the 10 in terms of sound. Speaker on the OP5 is a bit tinny at high volumes, but I'm not a teenager trying to annoy fellow passengers on the top deck of the 27, so not going to mind too much about that. Plus the OP5 has an analogue headphone jack, not an issue for some, but a big plus for many others.

Screen has better colours and is brighter, according to the article linked. As said, it's in individual thing.

Personally, I think the U11 camera justifies it on its own. It's a beast. Apart from that, the squeeze functionality I find really useful. I have single squeeze camera, long squeeze assistant and double squeeze for flashlight. Use all of them pretty much daily.

The main reason I keep going back to HTC is the dev community, which is something very few people are interested in. I could happily use the OP5, but I'd probably be switching it for something else after a few months.

• Advertisement

The camera on the U11 seems to be fantastic, alright. If photography is your thing, then it's definitely the market leader right now.

Advertisement