Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭deezell

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It's a chimney.

Funny, I was only up on a semi roof a few days ago, a leak around the chimney flashing on the son's house. The lead channell edge under the abutting roof tiles had been squashed flat, looked like a sat dish installer had stood on the tiles and crushed it, causing the water during heavy rain to carry over the edge and down the wall past the felt. It was the neighbour's dish, but installer fitted it our side of the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

deezell wrote: »
    Funny, I was only up on a semi roof a few days ago, a leak around the chimney flashing on the son's house. The lead channell edge under the abutting roof tiles had been squashed flat, looked like a sat dish installer had stood on the tiles and crushed it, causing the water during heavy rain to carry over the edge and down the wall past the felt. It was the neighbour's dish, but installer fitted it our side of the chimney.

Well I have a roofer coming in the next week or so, to fix the hole where the slack burner stove was coming out. I'll get him to check out the flashing around the chimney.

Is replacing this with a smart TRV really just an unscrew and replace job?

541998.jpg

It's pretty solid and I'm scared to end up with a fountain!

Is replacing this with a smart TRV really just an unscrew and replace job?

541998.jpg

It's pretty solid and I'm scared to end up with a fountain!

Yes, its the top chrome hand nut. Its probably stuck a bit. If you can't get it off by hand, squirt a bit if wd40 on the top and up and under, let it soak in for a while. Very light anti clockwise pressure with a vice grips or a pipe wrench if its still stiff.

Sorted, easy when you know how.

I was trying to unscrew the valve, not the chrome nut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i have 3 zone heating system + hot water. pic of thermostat and Sauter control unit attached.

Zone 1 - living area
    Zone 2 - downstairs bedrooms
    Zone 3 - upstairs
    Zone 4 - hot water

would a Tado wired system be compatible with this or are there alternatives?

Do I just install the thermos and set the control unit to on for the heating zones and run it through the app then?

i spoke to my plumber the other day and he's a bit of a luddite / and or just doesn't understand them or the need for them so he was no help.

thanks for the advice

Spark tells me that the current system doesn't have any controls at all from the valves to the burner.

So when it's on, the burner is always on. There isn't any "call to heat" from the house side at all.

The switches just turn each zone off and on rather than calling for heat when needed.

He's addressing it anyway. Will be worth it.

I got a fill of oil today. Have gone through about 120L a week since mid December...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

ablelocks wrote: »
    i have 3 zone heating system + hot water. pic of thermostat and control unit attached.

Zone 1 - living area
    Zone 3 - upstairs
    Zone 4 - hot water

Do I just install the thermos and set the control unit to on for the heating zones and run it through the app then?

i spoke to my plumber the other day and he's a bit of a luddite / and or just doesn't understand them or the need for them so he was no help.

thanks for the advice

Just on the luddite part, a previous plumber I had years ago was the same. I had asked about our system and was thinking on getting the Nest at the time. He said they were waste of money and wouldn't do much for the system etc... Pretty much laughed at the idea.

Also, I think some people focus on the return on investment, how long it takes to pay for itself. For me that's only part of it. A big part is functionality and convenience.

Setting our current timer is a PITA, this will be much easier. Heading home some evenings wishing we could stick the heat on so house isn't freezing. Or being late and the house being heated unnecessarily. Checking temperature in young sons room and having to go down and boost the heat etc.

Oh and I do love my tech so there is that :D

The biggest change in this house will be shifting from time focused to temperature focused. By that I mean, here its always "Big cold in here, go on boost the heat there" which will boost for an hour and heat other rooms unnecessarily. Where as once we get this is its just figure the comfortable temperature and set it for whatever times in the rooms required. May take a while to get right though.

Spark tells me that the current system doesn't have any controls at all from the valves to the burner.

So when it's on, the burner is always on. There isn't any "call to heat" from the house side at all.

The switches just turn each zone off and on rather than calling for heat when needed.

I got a fill of oil today. Have gone through about 120L a week since mid December...

Same as mine. Open the box in the hotpress and the two wires that are meant to be wired up to call for heat and just lying there cut. (See image attached - grey/orange wire)

Mentioned before we must have had the same dude who wired this up ha! Same timer, switches and now this. You in Donegal by any chance? :D

Donegal it is!

Having issues, possibly with the connection, definitely with the app.

When I try to register to connect to the cloud so I can connect while not at home, it keeps telling me to connect my phone to the home WiFi, even though it already is.

Now its set up but without the cloud connection.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Edit, never mind. Eventually made it connect.

Next issue, if I stand at the back door and turn on either heating zone, I can hear the boiler turn on.

If I turn on the hot water, I don't.

Lol, again never mind. Spark landed back from lunch and fixed it.

We're in business. He's just fitting the stat on the tank.

Another question, what kind of hot water schedule are people working on?

How long does it generally take to heat the full tank and how long does it stay hot?

Or is it easier just to leave the hot water on and let the burner keep it warm rather than having to heat from cold?

How long does it generally take to heat the full tank and how long does it stay hot?

Or is it easier just to leave the hot water on and let the burner keep it warm rather than having to heat from cold?
    If your cylinder is a modern insulation encased model, losses are negligible, so savings from turning off the HW schedule are insignificant. If you have a boiler stove though, or solar panels, you might want adjust the schedule to keep some cold 'space' in the tank in order to take advantage of the 'free' HW source. I keep my HW timed off from the afternoon. When the stove is lit it tops up the cylinder quickly, and depending on evening use, there will still be ample HW the next morning. Theres a short schedule boost in the morning, which will terminate quickly if there is plenty of HW from the previous nights stove burn, and it also serves summer use when there's no stove, but incoming cold to the cylinder is quite warm from the attic tank. The attic is like a hothouse in summer, so the cold to the cylinder needs little extra heating. I've yet to fit solar, though I have the third coil idle, but I'd definitely adjust the HW boiler schedule to maximise the solar contribution. I'd imagine on sunny days you might not need a boiler top up at all. I'll get the finger out this year, grab some solar kit. It's not rocket science, so a nice little project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

That's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. So it depends on where the cylinder stat is placed and what temperature it's set to, and how much water you want to heat - sink amount or whole tank

But you'd hardly want to leave it on 24x7

Question, if a room TRV calls for heat, I assume it opens the relevant zone valve ?

championc wrote: »
    Question, if a room TRV calls for heat, I assume it opens the relevant zone valve ?

My wife does love scorching water...

I've set it initially for an hour in the morning and a few hours in the early afternoon. Once the sun picks up I'll reduce that to allow the solar to heat it a bit.

As for the zones yeah the room radiator stats are set on the same channel as the room stat. So the living room can still call for heat even if the room stat in the hallway doesn't.

Downside currently is that the other radiators don't fit the new TRVs. The old chrome nut is slightly smaller so when I screw on the new one it is too loose.

542091.jpg

542092.jpg

Presumably there is an adaptor I can get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Sorry if you don't mind me asking how do you know how much oil you used? Thanks

Sorry if you don't mind me asking how do you know how much oil you used? Thanks

It's a 1000L tank and we filled it to the brim last time and this time.

My wife does love scorching water...

I've set it initially for an hour in the morning and a few hours in the early afternoon. Once the sun picks up I'll reduce that to allow the solar to heat it a bit.

As for the zones yeah the room radiator stats are set on the same channel as the room stat. So the living room can still call for heat even if the room stat in the hallway doesn't.

Downside currently is that the other radiators don't fit the new TRVs. The old chrome nut is slightly smaller so when I screw on the new one it is too loose.

542091.jpg

542092.jpg

Presumably there is an adaptor I can get?
    Yes, looks like old 28mm valve bodies. Most new trvs are 30mm, hence the loose fit.
    Heres one source.https://lowenergysupermarket.com/product/radiator-adapter-for-trv-28mm-to-30mm

Thanks. Ordered 3 of those adaptors.

Aside from that, the system seems to be doing its job. Bit of tweaking needed of course, I had managed to add both room stats and the 2 living room rad stats (which do fit) all on the same channel so needed to figure out why the living room wasn't heating, and amend it.

Frustrating thing is that the hub seems to be constantly dropping the WiFi signal which leads to crashing the app while making changes.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Ordered 3 of those adaptors.

Aside from that, the system seems to be doing its job. Bit of tweaking needed of course, I had managed to add both room stats and the 2 living room rad stats (which do fit) all on the same channel so needed to figure out why the living room wasn't heating, and amend it.

Frustrating thing is that the hub seems to be constantly dropping the WiFi signal which leads to crashing the app while making changes.

I've read some posts going back about the hub dropping. You don't have any spare wifi extenders to try out. Heres a really neat WiFi booster in a socket
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/british-general-900-series-13a-2-gang-sp-switched-wi-fi-extender-socket-2-1a-1-outlet-usb-charger-white/8865V?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0-6ABhDMARIsAFVdQv-cZeiMDC857cDSirAuUG1tX4mxclW0TqpOcBq4189CMZ7mk1U86cQaApsWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The WiFi doesn't need extended or boosted though. I've got a Unifi AP network with a solid 300mb+ all around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

The WiFi doesn't need extended or boosted though. I've got a Unifi AP network with a solid 300mb+ all around the house.

Could it be the zigbee is cutting out rather than the wifi? Drayton do extender plugs which also double as smart plugs.

steve584 wrote: »
    Could it be the zigbee is cutting out rather than the wifi? Drayton do extender plugs which also double as smart plugs.

Nah its definitely the WiFi. Common issue by all accounts. It's been fine today so maybe it has settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

championc wrote: »
    It's annoying that Tado don't post a ChangeLog anywhere as to what changes there are between versions

You could take the batteries out of a TRV and put them back in again, and that might kick off an update. Or maybe contact Tado support

I have eventually got the TRV's to update their firmware. Tado support tried to force an update but they only managed to update one of the TRV's until I relocated the bridge. After relocating the bridge all but three of the TRV's updated, I had to reboot the bridge a few times to force the others to update. The firmware update process seems to be very hit & miss! All TRV's (12) are now version 75.2, with the exception of one which is 79.1. As previously mentioned here a change log of the various versions would be very helpful, I wonder why Tado don't provide this? What are they hiding?
    The installation is not in the house which I live in, so it can be quite awkward to know exactly whats happening. I visited yesterday and observed that the boiler was running even though no devices or schedules were calling for heat, there are two towel radiators in the bathrooms and the HW cylinder so these were dissipating the heat. I rebooted the power to the wireless receiver and everything behaved normally after that. Does anyone know if it is possible to monitor if the wireless receiver is calling for the boiler or not? It seems like the receiver didn't get the shut down signal after the previous schedule was finished. Is this a common issue?

Run your finger along the schedule graph for the devices, see if there us a dropout on any, which may have left the boiler switching device, (stat or ext kit), running in its last know setting.

542397.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

Run your finger along the schedule graph for the devices, see if there us a dropout on any, which may have left the boiler switching device, (stat or ext kit), running in its last know setting.

542397.jpg

Thanks for the reply @Deezell. There was a drop out alright that might have accounted for it. It's a pity that the Receiver unit does not show it's status on the app. The radio side of the bridge seems very unreliable from what I have experienced so far. Other than that the Tado system is great. The idea that the support is only via email is also a bit of a pain.

Right lads, I apologise... brain dump incoming!

Question regarding my back boiler heating. The thermostat is on the flow pipe into the cylinder. This fires the pump when hot enough. The pump arrow points in the direction of the return pipe. I.e the pipe coming out of the pump joins the return pipe from the cylinder that goes back to the boiler. I’d have thought it would pump the hot water around. I just can’t wrap my head around where the boiler hot water goes and how it links with the oil boiler hot water! :D

How many radiators would need to be left open to dissipate heat in each zone?

With the Tado can you use it in a fairly manual mode? Say you set the temperatures for each room but don’t set timers/schedule. Can you tell it to boost heat in a room or rooms then? Without letting it call for heat automatically.
    ? Likely that we’d just go all in from the beginning with auto etc but wondering about this if the wife gets anxious :D Also wondering how Tado controls the hot water and sets temperature etc.

How’s yours system going now DrPhilG?

Oh yeah and finally, I’ve never once adjusted the oil boiler temperature on the boiler itself. Do any of you?

chris_ie wrote: »
    Right lads, I apologise... brain dump incoming!

Question regarding my back boiler heating. The thermostat is on the flow pipe into the cylinder. This fires the pump when hot enough. The pump arrow points in the direction of the return pipe. I.e the pipe coming out of the pump joins the return pipe from the cylinder that goes back to the boiler. I’d have thought it would pump the hot water around. I just can’t wrap my head around where the boiler hot water goes and how it links with the oil boiler hot water! :D
    That sounds right, if the cylinder return goes directly into the back boiler, cylnder flow is by gravity, with no impediment on it's path. The pump comes on for CH and and pumps CH return into the back boiler, joining cylinder return. This tee fitting should be a venturi type, so that the pumped cold return from the rads would 'draw' the cooled return from the cylinder coil, rather than pushing it back up cylinder coil, which would cool it and the HW to a point. This veturi tee may also be fitted where the hot flow out from the back boiler spilits to the cylinder and the radiators.
    How many radiators would need to be left open to dissipate heat in each zone?
    Just a couple, if the rads TRVs are already open on schedule if they are smart TRVs, they will also benefit.
    With the Tado can you use it in a fairly manual mode? Say you set the temperatures for each room but don’t set timers/schedule. Can you tell it to boost heat in a room or rooms then? Without letting it call for heat automatically.
    ? Likely that we’d just go all in from the beginning with auto etc but wondering about this if the wife gets anxious :D Also wondering how Tado controls the hot water and sets temperature etc.
    You can install smartTRVs to open on a schedule, but without association to a stat to call the boiler.
    Tado just times HW events, it doesnt have a HW stat in its armoury, you would just use a mechanical cylinder stat. It can only monitor HW temp on direct HW combi boilers which have OpenTherm digital control.

How’s yours system going now DrPhilG?

Oh yeah and finally, I’ve never once adjusted the oil boiler temperature on the boiler itself. Do any of you?

Yes, around 60-70°

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    i have 3 zone heating system + hot water. pic of thermostat and Sauter control unit attached.

Zone 1 - living area
    Zone 3 - upstairs
    Zone 4 - hot water

thanks for the advice

anyone? (not tied into Tado either in case anyone would recommend any other options... had spotted their offer on refurbed kits but missed out on that, could wait for it to come up again)

542024.jpg

542025.jpg

Advertisement